RE: Texas Democrats Undermine Sacred Democracy
Idiots
07-22-2021 09:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Texas Democrat Returns to Texas for "Good Faith" Talk on Voting Laws but It's Too Late

Quote:Democrats want to come home to Texas to talk about election laws in “good faith,” but that flew out the window along with their chartered plane to D.C.

As we previously covered, Texas Democrats fled the state as its Republican-dominated legislature was to pass an election security bill that would diametrically oppose the radical HR1 (for the people act) Democrats on the federal level wish to impose on the nation. This circus included a private plane, press appearances, try-hard tweetstorms, and COVID-19 spreading.

They wanted to tell you they were protecting the rights of voters, but HR1 is far from anything of the sort.

It would appear that at least one Democrat is ready to come home with the claim that he fled the state in solidarity with his fellow leftists, but now he’s ready to come home and talk about Texas’s voting standards in “good faith” according to a statement he released.

“I proudly stood with my Democratic colleagues and left Texas to ensure House Bill 3 would not be approved as introduced. A small working group of Democrats decided to begin active discussions here in Austin on improving HB 3 and asked that I return to establish open communication lines,” Cortez said. “I returned to Texas to try to engage in good faith dialogue about the aspects of the bill that I, and others, think are harmful.”

According to Fox News, this is actually the second Democrat who returned home. Rep. Harold Dutton returned for family reasons. Despite Governor Greg Abbott declaring any Democrat who returned to the state would be arrested, no arrests have happened yet.

I immediately doubt the intent of returning for “good faith” talks about Texas’s voting security laws. They all know it’s a losing battle and that this law is going to be passed no matter what they do, as it should. I suspect that the real reason for returning has a lot to do with the fact that their districts were asked if they appreciated their representative abandoning their post to jaunt off to D.C. and the answer was “no.”

Nothing causes a Democrat to abandon their “principles” faster than bad polling.

But even if this theory weren’t true, the fact is that “good faith” discussion went out the window the moment the Democrats hopped onto their bus with a case of Miller Light.

There can be no “good faith” discussion when these Democrats have spent the last week hamming it up with cable news reporters about their “noble” quest to protect the people’s right to vote and posting pictures and videos on Twitter meant to generate sympathy about their uphill fight as the underdogs.

There is no discussion to be had. They need to return home and allow the representatives of the people of Texas to vote as they should so that this bill can be passed as the people of Texas want it to be. They need to stop impeding democracy while claiming to defend it and cease this obviously transparent attempt to strip Texas of its right to decide for itself how our elections work.

It’s over. It’s been over.
07-22-2021 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Texas Democrats ‘Do Not Regret’ Creating Coronavirus Superspreader Stunt in D.C.

Quote:Texas state Democrat lawmakers “do not regret” coming to Washington, DC, even though there is now a coronavirus outbreak within the city, they said during a press conference Thursday.

The video posted by the RNC Research shows members of the Texas state Democrat caucus answering questions from reporters. A reporter asked, “With respect to the recent [coronavirus] outbreak [in Washington, DC], would this have happened if we have stayed home?” The reporter added, “Do [the lawmakers] regret coming to D.C.?”

The lawmaker said, “We don’t regret coming to D.C. at all. It was very important to protect the freedom to vote.”

Watch:

The Democrats fled from the Texas State Legislature earlier in the month to Washington, where they have been staying to avoid their responsibilities as lawmakers in Texas and are protesting efforts by the Texas state Republicans to strengthen election safeguards in the Lone Star State.

The lawmakers were pictured on a bus and the plane on their way to D.C. while smiling and maskless, Breitbart News reported. One person even caught the Democrats with a case of Miller Lite on the bus.

Since the Texas Democrats have been in D.C., there has been a coronavirus outbreak. Many aides on Capitol Hill and in the White House have either caught the virus or have had to be tested. As of Tuesday, six of the Democrats who fled Lone Star State have tested positive for the Chinese coronavirus.
07-24-2021 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Now these democrats are going to fail to try to make Abbott out to be the bad guy in conference realignment. About 2 dozen house members in TX created a bill to oppose/restrict Texas' move to the SEC, as it would leave TCU, Baylor and TexasTech out to dry. This bill had no chance of passing, as Abbott would be the one to add it to the special session, and Abbott is a Texas grad. But democrats could try to lay blame on him for allowing it to happen to the other Texas schools. Now they cant, because a group of dems are still in DC.
07-24-2021 03:09 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
They need to return in order to keep Texas in the B12!
07-24-2021 11:34 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Hilarious: Runaway Texas Dem Throws a Fit at Biden's Reaction to Their 'Heroism'

Quote:We’re been writing about the runaway Texas Democrats and what a perfect example of pretentious Democratic hypocrisy and lies they are.

They even called themselves “brave” and insulted the voters in this misbegotten effort. They’re so incredibly impressed with themselves for pulling a propaganda political stunt. Never mind that they precipitated a super spreader event – getting six of themselves sick with the Wuhan coronavirus and infecting who knows how many other people, but including at least one White House official and one Pelosi aide.

But what was actually quite humorous was how disturbed at least one of them was that Joe Biden wouldn’t meet with them.

From Dallas Morning News:

“I’m at the point where I’m pissed off that Joe Biden, our president, not only won’t meet with us — he’s not gonna meet with us, he’s gonna use COVID as an excuse not to meet with us — but he won’t even Zoom,” Rep. Richard Raymond of Laredo said Thursday during a virtual meeting with U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett of Austin.

So Joe says things like the Texas bill these guys are throwing a fit over are “Jim Crow on steroids” (they aren’t) but he can’t be bothered to actually meet with the “brave” (in their own minds) Democrats fighting for “voting rights?” What does that say? It says he know that it’s nonsense and he can’t wasted his time dealing with them. Even Joe Biden knows that this is all political theater. And these guys aren’t worth waking him up from his nap, even for a zoom call.

Meanwhile when asked whether he would be meeting with these brave heroes from his home state, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) also put them in their place.

“I’m not exactly sure what they are doing, other than spreading COVID-19 to the speaker’s staff and White House staff,” he said. “They are not doing their jobs in Austin, and clearly petitioning Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi to overrule state election laws with federal laws strikes me as very unusual, to say the least.”

To show you how insane their opinion was of themselves, when previously asked about why they would do this, Richard Raymond compared this to trying to stop people from abusing children (huh?) and compared himself to Abraham Lincoln. Listen as even Neil Cavuto just takes him to the cleaners on the nonsensical claim.

Seriously, all these people are seriously mentally twisted and need to be voted out forthwith.
07-25-2021 03:43 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Texas Democrats in DC Are Hurting the State’s Foster Care Crisis

Quote:Texas foster children facing an enormous lack of resources are being pushed to the back-burner by Texas Democrats who fled to D.C. to avoid passing an election integrity bill.

One of the Texas Democrats in D.C., Rep. Ina Minjarez, noted June 25 that 23 foster children in Texas have died in the last 21 months, and said: “We cannot afford to wait another day to address this issue.” She specifically requested in a letter that Gov. Greg Abbott address the foster care crisis in the legislative special session.

And yet, Minjarez’s $1.5 million trip to the nation’s capital alongside her fellow Democrats — who recently requested that care packages of salsa, soda, and other items be sent from home — is preventing that issue from being solved. She did not respond to a request for comment.

Minjarez’s letter was similar to one Democratic Sen. José Menéndez sent to Abbott, which asserted that “the foster care system is reaching a critical point in the ongoing capacity crisis” and that current reimbursement rates for foster care providers are inadequate. “This is an issue that demands our immediate attention,” he wrote.

The foster care situation in Texas has been called a catastrophe. Though it is illegal for children to spend the night in an unlicensed facility such as a church, motel, or CPS office, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Mark Wilson told The American Spectator that in June, 415 children spent at least two consecutive nights in such placements because of a lack of providers. Before 2021, that number rarely crept above 100.

The shortage of adequate placements has been attributed to facility shut-downs in the midst of an ongoing federal lawsuit against the Texas foster care system and a lack of funding to give care providers higher payments.

Social worker and former foster parent Allie Vasquez from San Antonio told The American Spectator that another part of the issue is that there are not enough therapeutic foster homes specifically for kids dealing with complex trauma. “Especially with COVID, people are less likely to open their homes, which is understandable,” she said.

Because of reduced placement availability, units of caseworkers are having to take four-hour shifts so that adults can be present with the kids 24 hours per day, San Antonio social worker Cynthia Vollmer told The American Spectator.

“There are kids sleeping in the offices,” she said. “The staff don’t have the proper training. It’s one thing to be a caseworker and go in and check on an environment and support a parent. That’s different from having a child with you and being responsible for the child for a period of time.”

She continued, “A lot of those kids are just leaving for the day, and you can’t imagine what’s going on — they’re on the streets doing who knows what. They come back at night to lay their head, and there’s probably some who don’t come back. So you’re taking a child from a situation that’s dangerous or unsafe, and putting them in another environment that’s potentially dangerous or unsafe.”

Wilson said it was important for the State of Texas and partners in child welfare to increase their capacity to provide permanence and stability for the children under their care. “We have begun the process of hiring 100 contract workers who will be able to take some of that burden off Child Protective Services staff so they can focus on the important work of protecting children and caring for families,” he said.

He added “We are pleased that Gov. Abbott and the legislature are focused on this issue. We continue to work with lawmakers every day to address this problem, and that has not, and will not change.”

Both Vasquez and Vollmer agreed that throwing more money at the problem is not necessarily going to fix it, noting that past increases in funds have not addressed the root issues.

“We need more people who are doing it for the right reasons and who are intrinsically motivated,” Vasquez said. “In Region 8 we had all of the money for community care and it backfired.”

But when asked if Democrats boycotting the special session to block the voting bill was worth preventing the foster care legislation from at least being considered, Vollmer said, “Of course not. No. Because any delay in that impacts kids, a very vulnerable population…. Even if I really believed in [the Democrats’] cause, I would still have to say it was not worth it, because there’s a real need here.”

Abbott tweeted on Monday, “The Democrats’ decision to break quorum inflicts harm on the very Texans who elected them to serve. I will keep calling Special Sessions until we address every emergency item — including foster care …”
07-30-2021 12:40 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Texas Democrat Drops the Hottest of Takes and Heads Are Scratched

Quote:Of all the fugitive Texas Democrats, who fled their state for Washington, DC to deny a quorum and a vote on voter integrity legislation, perhaps State Rep. Gene Wu has beclowned himself the most. This is a man who has thoroughly enjoyed his less than 15 minutes of fame, supposing himself as some kind of social media starlet. From posts bashing Tucker Carlson to his attempts to blame others for his colleagues spreading COVID to the White House, Wu has provided only the hottest of takes.

But these may be his hottest ones yet. Yes, Wu is running a two-for-one deal on ridiculous commentary today.

Wu, being the Twitter warrior that he is, decided to lock horns with Matt Whitlock after the latter criticized the Texas fugitives for obviously having no plan. I actually wrote about their plight some days ago, noting that they’ve clearly boxed themselves in (see Texas Democrats Finally Begin to Realize They Are Screwed). Yet, according to Wu here, he’s just days away from a glorious victory. What gives?

What gives is that Wu hopes all those people giving him money via scam PACs don’t realize that Gov. Greg Abbott is just going to call another special session so I hope Wu is comfortable in Washington. This is a waiting game and always has been. As I wrote the very first day this story broke, these Texas Democrats are engaging in a game of chicken they can’t win. Are they prepared to stay away from their families until next summer? Are they prepared to pay the political price this is going to cost some of them in less than heavily blue districts? Color me extremely skeptical.

Wu knows the system so he’s either purposely misleading to keep the cash coming in or he’s setting things up to claim that he and his cohorts were always going to only carry this out for one special session. Either way, there’s not going to be a victory for him.

Wu wasn’t done, though. I promised you a two-for-one deal and that’s what you are going to get.

Wu is like the guy who buys a bunch of followers on Twitter and thinks he’s actually clever, yet he just keeps walking into doors over and over. I mean, just when you thought he couldn’t top the cringe of his airport salad pictures, he goes out there and does it. That’s impressive.

Is this the best Democrats have to offer in Texas? I don’t know, but this certainly isn’t pointing to there being a very deep bench on the left. If these outlaws were smart, they’d have someone able to articulate their message with some sense of coherence at the forefront. But they aren’t smart, so you get Wu mouthing off on Twitter. Brilliance personified.
08-02-2021 04:59 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Thoughts, Prayers, and Care Packages: Two of the Texas Democrats Leave D.C. to Vacation in Portugal

Quote:The Texas Democrats seem to have given up on their credibility a while back. Everyone knows their little escape from their special session in Texas to thwart a voting integrity bill wasn’t about standing against voter suppression or standing up for Black and brown people. It was so they could shirk their duties, rub shoulders with VP Kamala Harris (and expose her to COVID), and try and help the narrative that the country needs federal voting reform.

Yeah, that shipped sailed, as my intrepid colleagues have documented here, here, here, and here.

But this did not stop two of them—who are supposed to be in quarantine due to their positive COVID diagnosis—from taking an international excursion with their spouses.

TX Rep. Dan Crenshaw brings the snark:

From the Texas Tribune:

The Texas House Democratic Caucus could not account Tuesday for two of the members who broke quorum and fled for Washington, D.C. over Republicans’ priority elections bill, while a Texas Monthly reporter said the members were on vacation in Portugal.

State Reps. Julie Johnson of Farmers Branch and Jessica González of Dallas were not with other House Democrats on Tuesday in the nation’s capital, according to a person familiar with the situation. On Tuesday evening, Texas Monthly reporter Jonathan Tilove tweeted that he “can confirm [Johnson] and her wife & [González] and her fiancé are in Portugal for a vacation they had been planning, with non-refundable tickets, for a year-and-a-half.”

Because… sacrifice! Yeah.

This bunch is such a joke, they give the word new meaning. But hey, I guess if you’re going to sit around and do nothing, you might as well get a great tan in the process!

Both González and Johnson, along with their staff have been mum, neither denying nor acknowledging that their bosses have their toes in the sand.

In a text exchange though with the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday evening, González referred to the Portugal trip as “rumors” and said “no one has shown proof.”

“These are rumors, period,” she said. “End of story.”

​Their absence from Washington does not affect the lack of quorum that the House has in Austin to pass the elections bill. But it is at odds with House Democrats’ insistence that they would use their time away from the state Legislature, which they left in July, to advocate for federal voting rights legislation in the nation’s capital.

González is an especially prominent player in the voting rights fight as the vice chair of the Texas House Elections Committee. ​

A “prominent player”? I suspect her currency might just drop a bit after this stunt; blood in the water and all.

Dereliction of duty doesn’t begin to describe what these supposed lawmakers keep doing. Fighting for voting rights was never the focus, it was simply a convenient narrative. And the narrative is not going to get in the way of a vacation they had planned a year and a half ago! Can’t lose money on those non-refundable tickets; who cares if the taxpayer has lost money on not only their absconding to D.C., but the daily per diems they receive as legislators.

Their Republican colleagues are none too pleased, of course, and rightly condemning of this action:

The news of the Democrats’ vacation brought a wave of House condemnation from their Republican colleagues who have been stuck in Austin waiting for them to return.

“Wow, just wow. Had to cancel my family’s vacation last week to Grand Teton [National Park] because of a special session they helped create back in May,” tweeted state Rep. Tom Oliverson of Cypress, referring to the House Democratic walkout that killed the elections bill during the regular session. “Texas deserves better than this.”

Yet, the disconnect continues as Johnson’s and González’s cohorts, who are still in D.C., continue to try and milk their free press.

Hours before word got out that Johnson and González were missing from Washington, three of their Democratic colleagues held a news conference where they continued to express optimism about the federal elections push.

Just amazing. Texans should be lining up to run against all of them in the next election; after these stunts, they deserve to lose, and lose spectacularly.
08-04-2021 01:06 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Activist Judge Throws the Fugitive Texas Democrats a Lifeline

Quote:Gov. Greg Abbott has officially called another special session, forcing the Texas Democrats who fled to block a voter integrity bill to continue their foolhardy charade. But now, an activist judge has stepped in to throw them a lifeline.

The Democrat has signed an order to block enforcement of the arrest warrants put out for the Texas Democrats. Those arrests are allowed under the Texas Constitution as a way to force the appearance of lawmakers who refuse to show up to do their jobs.

This appears to allow the fugitive Democrats to return home from Washington, DC now with no way to compel them to provide a quorum as the law requires. In other words, Texas’ government will never function again because now the minority party can literally just not show up to work anytime they want to stop a piece of legislation. The fact that Republicans have a massive majority in the Texas House becomes irrelevant. The entire legislative system in the Lone Star State has been nullified because a judge said so. Talk about tyranny.

The caveat here is that the current order signed by the judge only lasts two weeks. At that point, the arrests would conceivably be allowed again. But you can expect another order to be signed to keep this going.

Abbott must stay on the offensive. This should be challenged immediately in whatever way it can so that this Democrat judge’s word is not final. There may also be other ways to put the Texas Democrats on ice, perhaps by hitting them financially. After all, why should they get paid if they aren’t showing up for work? If there are any executive actions that Abbott can take to enact the provisions of the voter integrity legislation, he needs to go down that path as well.

This can’t be allowed to stand because again, if it does, then the Texas legislative system might as well cease to exist.
08-09-2021 02:22 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

It's Beginning to Fall Apart: Runaway Texas Dems Blast Each Other When Some Return to State

Quote:Today, they came close to making a quorum in the Texas House and beating back the runaway Democrats’ effort to stymie election security bills.

At least four of the runaway Democrats returned and appeared during the House session, although 26 Democrats are reportedly staying in D.C. to break the quorum. By the late afternoon, there were 95 members present. But they still needed 100 out of 150 in order to have a quorum. So they ended up just short.

One of the Democrats who returned and who was on the floor was James Talarico. He was the guy that Fox’s Pete Hegseth nailed when he asked him to name one voter who was being denied the right to vote and Talarico was unable to do so, imploding the Democrats’ whole argument about “voting rights” being denied.

He claimed he was coming back to deal with “Greg Abbott’s latest messes from COVID to ERCOT.” Of course, it was the runaway Texas Democrats who actually brought the virus to D.C., with a Pelosi aide and a White House aide testing positive for the virus after meeting with the Texas Democrats. “Our quorum break shined a national spotlight on the TX voter suppression bill and pushed Congress closer to passing a federal voting rights act to override it,” Talarico claimed. I don’t know about you but that sure sounds like failure to me. They didn’t actually achieve anything except perhaps putting off the inevitable and spreading the virus. But imagine acting like blowing off your job was somehow noble.

Some of the other Democrats back in D.C. were not happy with the Democrats who returned and were on the floor — including James Talarico, Mary Gonzalez, Art Fierro, and Joe Moody — making the quorum question close. The Democrats still in D.C. blasted their brethren on social media.

On top of that, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott got another win in the fight against the runaway effort.

When the Democrats cut and ran to D.C., Abbott vetoed the legislature’s funding. “Funding should not be provided for those who quit their job early, leaving their state with unfinished business and exposing taxpayers to higher costs for an additional legislative session,” Abbott said then. The Democrats fought that, arguing it was unconstitutional. Today the Texas Supreme Court rejected the Democrats’ request to overturn the veto.

That means that Democrats will have to get serious because they aren’t funded after September. There’s no way they’re going to give up their salaries or that of their staffs. So that necessarily limits how long they can pull this game and gives Gov. Abbott a mighty pressure point to get them back to doing their jobs.
08-10-2021 02:16 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Texas Supreme Court Reverses Democratic Judge’s Order Shielding Democrats from Arrest

Quote:Texas justice was served again on Tuesday. The Texas Supreme Court overturned a decision by a lower court judge to issue the Texas legislators who fled the state restraining orders that would shield them from arrest upon their return.

“Responding to an emergency motion filed hours earlier, the Texas Supreme Court on Tuesday blocked an Austin district judge’s order that prohibited the arrest of Democrats participating in the ongoing quorum break,” the Statesman reported.

“Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan, represented by Attorney General Ken Paxton, argued that state District Judge Brad Urrutia’s order improperly stopped them from exercising authority specifically granted by the Texas Constitution,” the report added.

“Compelling the attendance of its members is a prerogative given to the House by the Texas Constitution,” the petition said.

“The appeal asked the all-Republican Supreme Court to overturn the order by Urrutia, a Democrat, before 5 p.m. Tuesday, noting that the second special session is ongoing and the ‘House Democrats’ return to Texas is imminent’,” the Statesman added. “Abbott and Phelan also said Uruttia’s plan to hold an Aug. 20 hearing on the matter would come too late in a special session that can run no later than Sept. 5.”

“In response, the state’s highest civil court blocked enforcement of Urrutia’s order while justices weighed the legal issues,” the report noted. “The House Democrats were given until 4 p.m. to file a response.”

The ruling from the state’s highest court comes one day after a Democrat judge in Travis County, Texas issued an order to protect the state’s representatives from being arrested upon re-entering the state.

“State District Judge Brad Urrutia, a Democrat, granted the temporary restraining order late Sunday night restricting Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan from ‘detaining, confining or otherwise restricting’ the free movement of House Democrats within the state or issuing any warrants ordering their confinement,” the Texas Tribune reported.

Texas Democrats in D.C. are now panicking as members of their superspreader crew are starting to crawl back with their tails between their legs. The Texas House is inching closer to quorum, and election integrity bills that would bring some semblance of normalcy to the state’s voting are closer to being passed.

Earlier, Texas Democrats filed a desperate lawsuit from a lawyer who is under a probationally suspended license. Twenty-two Democrats seek damages for causing them “anxiety, discomfort and distress, as well as “damaging their reputations.” If only such a suit could be brought against the Texas Democrats by the state’s residents for their failure to address the state’s urgent business.

Abbott Gets Major Victory Against Democrats In State Supreme Court

Quote:Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has secured a major win in his ongoing feud with Texas Democrats who left their posts to prevent a quorum and stop legislation that Republicans say would secure voting in the state.

The Texas Supreme Court denied the Democrats motion to restore funding to the legislature, The Texas Tribune reported.

The Texas Supreme Court on Monday denied a request from several Democratic House members and state employees asking the justices to overturn Gov. Greg Abbott’s veto of legislative funding in the upcoming two-year state budget.

Abbott vetoed the funding in June after House Democrats walked out during the final days of the regular legislative session in May, killing two of his priority bills on elections and changing the state’s bail system. Abbott then brought the Legislature back for a special session to get the bills passed, but more than 50 House Democrats again broke quorum — denying the lower chamber of the number of present members needed to move bills — by decamping to Washington, D.C., until the 30-day session ended Friday.

Democrats challenged Abbott’s veto in court, saying it stripped their power as a “co-equal branch of government.” But the Texas Supreme Court on Monday sided with Abbott on his veto that will effectively defund the Texas Legislature, its staffers and legislative agencies later this year.

On Friday, state officials extended the funding for legislatures and their staff for another month, meaning they will continue to be paid until Sept. 30.

“This political dispute within the legislative branch is not an issue of separation of powers that we can decide,” the court said in its decision on the case.

The governor celebrated his victory in a Twitter post calling on Texas Democrats t get back to work.

“The Texas Supreme Court denied Democrats’ request to overturn my veto of the Legislature’s funding because the Democrats walked out on doing their job. Contrary to Democrats & pundits, my veto was legal. Now it’s time for Democrats to return to work,” he said.

“The Texas Supreme Court has again recognized that ‘the Governor has power to disapprove any bill’ and upheld the governor’s veto power granted under the Texas Constitution,” a spokesperson for the governor, Renae Eze, said. “It’s time to stop the charades and get back to work doing the job they were elected to do—voting on critical legislation on behalf of their constituents, including funding Article X, potential funding for COVID-19 healthcare response, providing property tax relief, funding our retired teachers, protecting our foster children, and securing the border.

But not every Democrat believes that the decision was 100 percent against them. State Rep. Chris Turner and the group’s attorney, Chad Dunn were able to see a silver lining.

“We’re disappointed the Court chose to not get involved in Gov. Abbott’s tyrannical violation of the separation of powers, but make no mistake — the high Court clearly states the governor vetoing funding for the legislature in the future raises serious constitutional concerns,” they said. “Texas House Democrats will continue to fight back against Gov. Abbott’s systematic undermining of our democracy.”

The court said that the Texas Democrats could have worked with Republicans to reinstate Article X of the state budget which includes the legislative funding and not had to pass any other legislation to do it. They also could have done it 10 days before they adjourned and it would have been veto-proof.

“Relators argue that the Governor is unconstitutionally coercing them to vote for legislation that he favors. But the Governor has not forced the Legislature to enact his priorities before addressing its own funding,” it said. “The Legislature was free to use the special session to reinstate Article X funding. It could have done so without addressing any of the other items listed in the Governor’s call.”

“[T]he Governor’s veto of Article X followed by his call of a special session neither prevents the Legislature from funding itself nor forces the Legislature to enact legislation of the Governor’s choosing,” it said.
08-10-2021 03:32 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(08-10-2021 03:32 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Texas Supreme Court Reverses Democratic Judge’s Order Shielding Democrats from Arrest

Quote:Texas justice was served again on Tuesday. The Texas Supreme Court overturned a decision by a lower court judge to issue the Texas legislators who fled the state restraining orders that would shield them from arrest upon their return.

“Responding to an emergency motion filed hours earlier, the Texas Supreme Court on Tuesday blocked an Austin district judge’s order that prohibited the arrest of Democrats participating in the ongoing quorum break,” the Statesman reported.

“Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan, represented by Attorney General Ken Paxton, argued that state District Judge Brad Urrutia’s order improperly stopped them from exercising authority specifically granted by the Texas Constitution,” the report added.

“Compelling the attendance of its members is a prerogative given to the House by the Texas Constitution,” the petition said.

“The appeal asked the all-Republican Supreme Court to overturn the order by Urrutia, a Democrat, before 5 p.m. Tuesday, noting that the second special session is ongoing and the ‘House Democrats’ return to Texas is imminent’,” the Statesman added. “Abbott and Phelan also said Uruttia’s plan to hold an Aug. 20 hearing on the matter would come too late in a special session that can run no later than Sept. 5.”

“In response, the state’s highest civil court blocked enforcement of Urrutia’s order while justices weighed the legal issues,” the report noted. “The House Democrats were given until 4 p.m. to file a response.”

The ruling from the state’s highest court comes one day after a Democrat judge in Travis County, Texas issued an order to protect the state’s representatives from being arrested upon re-entering the state.

“State District Judge Brad Urrutia, a Democrat, granted the temporary restraining order late Sunday night restricting Gov. Greg Abbott and House Speaker Dade Phelan from ‘detaining, confining or otherwise restricting’ the free movement of House Democrats within the state or issuing any warrants ordering their confinement,” the Texas Tribune reported.

Texas Democrats in D.C. are now panicking as members of their superspreader crew are starting to crawl back with their tails between their legs. The Texas House is inching closer to quorum, and election integrity bills that would bring some semblance of normalcy to the state’s voting are closer to being passed.

Earlier, Texas Democrats filed a desperate lawsuit from a lawyer who is under a probationally suspended license. Twenty-two Democrats seek damages for causing them “anxiety, discomfort and distress, as well as “damaging their reputations.” If only such a suit could be brought against the Texas Democrats by the state’s residents for their failure to address the state’s urgent business.

Abbott Gets Major Victory Against Democrats In State Supreme Court

Quote:Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has secured a major win in his ongoing feud with Texas Democrats who left their posts to prevent a quorum and stop legislation that Republicans say would secure voting in the state.

The Texas Supreme Court denied the Democrats motion to restore funding to the legislature, The Texas Tribune reported.

The Texas Supreme Court on Monday denied a request from several Democratic House members and state employees asking the justices to overturn Gov. Greg Abbott’s veto of legislative funding in the upcoming two-year state budget.

Abbott vetoed the funding in June after House Democrats walked out during the final days of the regular legislative session in May, killing two of his priority bills on elections and changing the state’s bail system. Abbott then brought the Legislature back for a special session to get the bills passed, but more than 50 House Democrats again broke quorum — denying the lower chamber of the number of present members needed to move bills — by decamping to Washington, D.C., until the 30-day session ended Friday.

Democrats challenged Abbott’s veto in court, saying it stripped their power as a “co-equal branch of government.” But the Texas Supreme Court on Monday sided with Abbott on his veto that will effectively defund the Texas Legislature, its staffers and legislative agencies later this year.

On Friday, state officials extended the funding for legislatures and their staff for another month, meaning they will continue to be paid until Sept. 30.

“This political dispute within the legislative branch is not an issue of separation of powers that we can decide,” the court said in its decision on the case.

The governor celebrated his victory in a Twitter post calling on Texas Democrats t get back to work.

“The Texas Supreme Court denied Democrats’ request to overturn my veto of the Legislature’s funding because the Democrats walked out on doing their job. Contrary to Democrats & pundits, my veto was legal. Now it’s time for Democrats to return to work,” he said.

“The Texas Supreme Court has again recognized that ‘the Governor has power to disapprove any bill’ and upheld the governor’s veto power granted under the Texas Constitution,” a spokesperson for the governor, Renae Eze, said. “It’s time to stop the charades and get back to work doing the job they were elected to do—voting on critical legislation on behalf of their constituents, including funding Article X, potential funding for COVID-19 healthcare response, providing property tax relief, funding our retired teachers, protecting our foster children, and securing the border.

But not every Democrat believes that the decision was 100 percent against them. State Rep. Chris Turner and the group’s attorney, Chad Dunn were able to see a silver lining.

“We’re disappointed the Court chose to not get involved in Gov. Abbott’s tyrannical violation of the separation of powers, but make no mistake — the high Court clearly states the governor vetoing funding for the legislature in the future raises serious constitutional concerns,” they said. “Texas House Democrats will continue to fight back against Gov. Abbott’s systematic undermining of our democracy.”

The court said that the Texas Democrats could have worked with Republicans to reinstate Article X of the state budget which includes the legislative funding and not had to pass any other legislation to do it. They also could have done it 10 days before they adjourned and it would have been veto-proof.

“Relators argue that the Governor is unconstitutionally coercing them to vote for legislation that he favors. But the Governor has not forced the Legislature to enact his priorities before addressing its own funding,” it said. “The Legislature was free to use the special session to reinstate Article X funding. It could have done so without addressing any of the other items listed in the Governor’s call.”

“[T]he Governor’s veto of Article X followed by his call of a special session neither prevents the Legislature from funding itself nor forces the Legislature to enact legislation of the Governor’s choosing,” it said.

Quote:“Compelling the attendance of its members is a prerogative given to the House by the Texas Constitution,” the petition said.

So, it seems like District Judge Brad Urrutia really doesn't have a clue as to the content of the state constitution.

Or he's a partisan hack who has no integrity. Instead of keeping his oath he disregards the law to help his team. After all...

it's a team sport.

08-10-2021 10:08 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
[Image: Untitled-design-61.png?resize=768%2C432&ssl=1]
Quote: FLASH: Texas Supreme Court Allows for Arrest of Democrats https://t.co/zCOJamViVB

— Election Wizard (@ElectionWiz) August 10, 2021

[Image: E8cWOQGWUAcyRhJ.jpg?resize=768%2C550&ssl=1]

Quote:Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan signed 52 civil arrest warrants for absent Democrats.

The warrants will be delivered to the House Sergeant-at-Arms tomorrow morning. The warrants command the Sergeant take the absent Democrats into custody and deliver them to the House. https://t.co/HKMhnLoCPQ pic.twitter.com/y2r7XnrOzD

— Election Wizard (@ElectionWiz) August 11, 2021

These Democrats are denying the will of the people. They should be locked up at least as long as the Jan. 6 protesters.

[Image: speaker-house.jpg]
08-11-2021 11:49 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Quote: ️Just in: #Texas #SupremeCourt overturns restraining order, says runaway Dems CAN BE ARRESTED & "physically compelled" to return

Now Republicans are set to pass voter safeguards against Biden's Invading army of illegal voters that have settled in the state.#Accountability pic.twitter.com/hIyoefkCun

— Julian Conradson (@JCConradson) August 18, 2021

On Tuesday, the Texas Supreme Court overturned the flimsy restraining order that was granted to the vacationing dems and ruled that the House of Representatives has the authority to arrest and “physically compel the attendance of absent members.”

The decision marks a huge win for the republican-led legislature as they will now be able to pass crucial voter integrity measures that have only been made more important since the start of this delay, thanks to Biden’s ever-worsening open border nightmare.

linky to Texas Supreme Court Decision and Order: https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1452658/210667.pdf
08-19-2021 12:33 PM
Mr_XcentricK Offline
World Wanderer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Integrity went out the window a long time ago!
08-19-2021 01:27 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Don't mess with Texas...
08-19-2021 01:39 PM
Mr_XcentricK Offline
World Wanderer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-19-2021 01:39 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Don't mess with Texas...

No need to. Texas is dumb enough to mess it up all on their own.
08-19-2021 01:41 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-19-2021 01:41 PM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  

Seems most folks don't see it that way given the amount of people moving to the state from other areas.
08-19-2021 01:43 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(08-19-2021 01:43 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(08-19-2021 01:41 PM)Mr_XcentricK Wrote:  

Seems most folks don't see it that way given the amount of people moving to the state from other areas.
He knows that, he is trolling

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
08-19-2021 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.