Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise St looking to move on from MWC
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC
(12-28-2020 05:01 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 04:51 PM)colohank Wrote:  Buffalo would be a better choice than Boise. It's within the AAC footprint, has much better academics (AAU), and has no stupid blue turf. Would Buffalo increase the AAC's payout? No. Would Boise? Not enough to compensate for its shortcomings.

Guess I need to go back and study geography since Buffalo is apparently in our footprint.

Good point. Can't imagine that people at SMU, or Houston, or Tulane, would ever buy the argument that Boise isn't in the "footprint" but Buffalo somehow is.
12-28-2020 06:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
There really hasn’t been anyone among the MAC/SBC/C-USA/Indy ranks that has distinguished themselves as the logical, uncontested East of The Rockies expansion candidate for the AAC.
12-28-2020 07:30 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-28-2020 06:57 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 04:51 PM)colohank Wrote:  Buffalo would be a better choice than Boise. It's within the AAC footprint, has much better academics (AAU), and has no stupid blue turf. Would Buffalo increase the AAC's payout? No. Would Boise? Not enough to compensate for its shortcomings.

Guess I need to go back and study geography since Buffalo is apparently in our footprint.

Good point. Can't imagine that people at SMU, or Houston, or Tulane, would ever buy the argument that Boise isn't in the "footprint" but Buffalo somehow is.

or Tulsa. That’s 4 votes I can’t see Buffalo ever getting unless they morph into Boise themselves over a 5+ year run.
12-28-2020 07:34 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Timing is everything, and I'm afraid Boise's time has passed.
12-28-2020 07:45 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-28-2020 07:30 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  There really hasn’t been anyone among the MAC/SBC/C-USA/Indy ranks that has distinguished themselves as the logical, uncontested East of The Rockies expansion candidate for the AAC.

^^^^^THIS^^^^

Its BYU, Army, Boise, Air Force---or stand pat at 11. Its been this was since UConn left and nothing has changed that realignment calculus as far as I can see. If they can work out a deal that brings Boise into the AAC as a "football only"---its going to happen.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020 07:56 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-28-2020 07:54 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

Being between Temple, Navy, and Cincinnati (admittedly a bit north) is much more in the footprint than not having anyone within a bus trip. The biggest thing that hurts UB is that while their stadium is FBS in capacity, it's not really great from a fan POV since half of the seating are endzone bleachers and it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a Bounce House or Nippert.
12-28-2020 08:38 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
UB’s seats are farrrrrrr

[Image: stadium_2016.jpg]

[Image: stadium.jpg]
12-28-2020 08:41 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
It grieves me to see stadiums that still have tracks around them
12-28-2020 08:52 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-28-2020 07:34 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

or Tulsa. That’s 4 votes I can’t see Buffalo ever getting unless they morph into Boise themselves over a 5+ year run.

Boise is 200 miles further from Dallas than Buffalo. And SMU is on the extreme west side of the AAC. Tulsa is the closest AAC school to Boise at just under 1500 miles. Temple is 1200 miles closer to Buffalo than Boise.
12-28-2020 09:44 PM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
I think the biggest hurdle is an olympic home for Boise.
MVC no way not good enough in basketball.
Big West maybe but have to pay to play.
Big Sky they hate the more established in state schools.
WCC conference they aren't a religious private school and not good enough to make up for that.
WAC maybe if they add the Texas four but still a step down.

I could see SDSU football only and Big West or possibly WCC they are that good.
12-28-2020 09:53 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
I dont see the AAC adding another FB only school. If the AAC is striving to be considered among the P5, look at the model. Not ONE FB only member in any of the P5 conferences. ND doesn’t count because they are not joining the ACC.

The AAC is not going to add anyone until they are forced to do so by the NCAA. If anyone moved the needle for the AAC, they would have already been there.
12-28-2020 10:21 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(12-28-2020 10:21 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  I dont see the AAC adding another FB only school. If the AAC is striving to be considered among the P5, look at the model. Not ONE FB only member in any of the P5 conferences. ND doesn’t count because they are not joining the ACC.

The AAC is not going to add anyone until they are forced to do so by the NCAA. If anyone moved the needle for the AAC, they would have already been there.

Then it's settled. Navy must be a full member 07-coffee3
12-28-2020 10:55 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Boise St looking to move on from MWC
(12-28-2020 10:55 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 10:21 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  I dont see the AAC adding another FB only school. If the AAC is striving to be considered among the P5, look at the model. Not ONE FB only member in any of the P5 conferences. ND doesn’t count because they are not joining the ACC.

They will get another David Robinson if that happens
12-28-2020 10:59 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-28-2020 10:59 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 10:55 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  

They will get another David Robinson if that happens
1. Big XII explicitly said they would consider football-only in their 2016 expansion traveshamockery, so thunderstruck's premise is flawed.
2. David Robinson was lightning striking - he had only pkayed high school basketball one year and was not a big recruiting target for anyone. Then he grew seven inches after arriving. Not planning on either regardless what conference we're in.
3. Patriot League is a sweet spot for us (and Army West Point) for numerous reasons.

We're good, thanks.
12-28-2020 11:57 PM
AllTideUp Online
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
While the two leagues seem to be locked in competition, they would likely gain more by cooperating.

I'm talking about the AAC and the Mountain West.

Let me propose this...

West:

Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, Hawaii

Mountain:

Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, SMU, Houston

South:

Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Navy, UCF, USF

East:

Buffalo, Temple, Cincinnati, Liberty, East Carolina, Georgia State

*I'm making some assumptions about future value with the East division...

Anyway, play your 5 division games. Play one game from each of the other 3 divisions. Then have a 4 team playoff for the conference championship. Host the conference title game in DFW...middle of the country compared to most of these programs.
12-29-2020 03:11 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-29-2020 03:11 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  While the two leagues seem to be locked in competition, they would likely gain more by cooperating.

I'm talking about the AAC and the Mountain West.

Let me propose this...

West:

Boise State, San Diego State, Fresno State, UNLV, Nevada, Hawaii

Mountain:

Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, SMU, Houston

South:

Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, Navy, UCF, USF

East:

Buffalo, Temple, Cincinnati, Liberty, East Carolina, Georgia State

*I'm making some assumptions about future value with the East division...

Anyway, play your 5 division games. Play one game from each of the other 3 divisions. Then have a 4 team playoff for the conference championship. Host the conference title game in DFW...middle of the country compared to most of these programs.

From a Cincinnati perspective... it looks like guy must have a pretty low opinion of the Bearcats (no offense to any of those other schools). No thanks
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 05:40 AM by CliftonAve.)
12-29-2020 05:38 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(12-28-2020 09:53 PM)CoastalVANDAL Wrote:  I think the biggest hurdle is an olympic home for Boise.

You must be a neophyte when it comes to the history of NCAA basketball, or confusing the MVC with some other conference, because with members such as Northern Iowa, Loyola of Chicago, Bradley, Indiana State (Larry Bird's alma mater), and past members such as Kansas, Oklahoma, Creighton, Wichita State, Louisville, & Cincinnati), the MVC would, if anything, be considered "too good for" Boise State - - not the other way around, even if they happen to have a good team this year.

I honestly don't know if the MVC would admit Boise State, and only mentioned it because they seem to have ruled out the Big Sky and, perhaps, the Summit Conference as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 08:42 AM by jedclampett.)
12-29-2020 08:28 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

Question: Why hasn't Mike Aresco picked up the phone and offered Boise a temporary 1-2 membership in the AAC yet, giving them a year or so to find themselves a suitable long-term arrangement, since it's starting to look like it might be the only way he can move his P6 strategic plan forward with the addition of Boise State?

Is the AAC leadership really so completely unimaginative that the possibility of bringing Boise State's football program into the AAC by making BSU BB/olympic sports a generous temporary arrangement has completely escaped them?

After all, they've got a slot open (the #12 slot, formerly occupied by Connecticut). Why not put it to good use?
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 08:36 AM by jedclampett.)
12-29-2020 08:33 AM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
(12-29-2020 08:28 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 09:53 PM)CoastalVANDAL Wrote:  I think the biggest hurdle is an olympic home for Boise.

You must be a neophyte when it comes to the history of NCAA basketball, or confusing the MVC with some other conference, because with members such as Northern Iowa, Loyola of Chicago, Bradley, Indiana State (Larry Bird's alma mater), and past members such as Kansas, Oklahoma, Creighton, Wichita State, Louisville, & Cincinnati), the MVC would, if anything, be considered "too good for" Boise State - - not the other way around, even if they happen to have a good team this year.

I honestly don't know if the MVC would admit Boise State, and only mentioned it because they seem to have ruled out the Big Sky and, perhaps, the Summit Conference as well.

I meant Boise is not good enough in basketball. If they were a SDSU or Gonzaga then the extra travel would be worth it for the MVC.
12-29-2020 09:20 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(12-29-2020 08:33 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  .

Question: Why hasn't Mike Aresco picked up the phone and offered Boise a temporary 1-2 membership in the AAC yet, giving them a year or so to find themselves a suitable long-term arrangement, since it's starting to look like it might be the only way he can move his P6 strategic plan forward with the addition of Boise State?

Is the AAC leadership really so completely unimaginative that the possibility of bringing Boise State's football program into the AAC by making BSU BB/olympic sports a generous temporary arrangement has completely escaped them?

After all, they've got a slot open (the #12 slot, formerly occupied by Connecticut). Why not put it to good use?

Does BSU even have a coach yet?
12-29-2020 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.