ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU @ feces
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU @ feces
(12-14-2020 03:54 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  FWIW, O'Connell and Shanu are very raw, particularly Shanu. They should still have come in when the game was all but over but neither of them are ready to contribute today. That may change as the seasons goes along (mainly looking at O'Connel). But, if Long is able to play, I would not expect many minute from Brady. He's just not ready. And that has been mentioned all summer long on here.

Green is edging into lost cause territory, what a shame. Curry disppeared for game, which is odd. Oliver disappeared, which happens way more than it should. They have to figure out a way to get ready for conference play without the non conference games. That was pathetic. The lack of shooting is one thing, but we have to rebound better than that and we can't turn the ball over 17 times and ever win. I know VCU is tough when the refs decide to swallow their whisles but there is no excuse of many of those turnovers by Curry and Green.

I give Curry a pass. It has been very rare that he has had a wtf game. I imagine the lack of ball handling around him doesn't help with the turnovers against a team that is getting after you like VCU does. Most of our lineups don't have anyone other than Curry that I feel is the least bit comfortable handling the ball against pressure.
12-14-2020 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

that's why we recruited 3 PGs
12-14-2020 04:57 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Is it bad, I think our big is a better ball handler than our wing?
12-14-2020 05:38 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

He can do it but he scares the beejezus out of me and apparently he has no worry in the world dribbling up court. I feel lik the ref wants to call a carry on him every time.
12-14-2020 05:49 PM
757ODU Offline
All American

I tried not to overreact, and tried to give it time to cool down after this performance. It has not helped. I have spent years letting myself cool down after games, and I always come out on "the guy wins 20 games per year" side of things, and I give Jones a break because of what I think is coming with recruits. However, I have finally moved to the fire Jones camp. Unfortunately, that is not going to be possible for a while. It was truly upsetting to watch a game where I felt like we had no chance against VCU. I hope thing turn in the right direction for this group, but with Green and Pilavios logging real minutes, we cannot expect this team to do much. Jeff, thank you for helping us rebound from the catastrophic mess that Blaine left us in, but it is time for you to move on.
12-15-2020 09:53 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

There was an excellent story in the Post the other day about Maryland, and the challenge facing it after losing badly to Clemson. It reminded me of ODU post VCU, and I hope the attitude expressed by UMD players and coaches is matched by ours. Talked about there being highs and lows to every season, and the trick being to maximize the former, minimize the latter. A lot of fans there are fed up with Turgeon -- and they're coming of a Big10 regular-season title.
12-15-2020 10:52 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2020 10:52 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  There was an excellent story in the Post the other day about Maryland, and the challenge facing it after losing badly to Clemson. It reminded me of ODU post VCU, and I hope the attitude expressed by UMD players and coaches is matched by ours. Talked about there being highs and lows to every season, and the trick being to maximize the former, minimize the latter. A lot of fans there are fed up with Turgeon -- and they're coming of a Big10 regular-season title.

If it were one bad performance, after going .500 against them during his tenure, and he'd taken us to a few NCAAs Id be inclined to look past "one bad performance". But we're getting beat by these turkeys 80% of the time. We never beat top 50 type teams any more. We've had one NCAA appearance and didnt look good in that. Its time for a change. This fan base, players, donors and region deserve better.
12-15-2020 11:48 AM
bench jockey Offline
1st String

(12-15-2020 11:48 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 10:52 AM)bench jockey Wrote:  There was an excellent story in the Post the other day about Maryland, and the challenge facing it after losing badly to Clemson. It reminded me of ODU post VCU, and I hope the attitude expressed by UMD players and coaches is matched by ours. Talked about there being highs and lows to every season, and the trick being to maximize the former, minimize the latter. A lot of fans there are fed up with Turgeon -- and they're coming of a Big10 regular-season title.

If it were one bad performance, after going .500 against them during his tenure, and he'd taken us to a few NCAAs Id be inclined to look past "one bad performance". But we're getting beat by these turkeys 80% of the time. We never beat top 50 type teams any more. We've had one NCAA appearance and didnt look good in that. Its time for a change. This fan base, players, donors and region deserve better.

My only point was that I was impressed with the attitude put forth by MD players and coach, and I hoped the same was true for us. . . . Not that you need to pay attention to my feelings, but I already said that after VCU it's time for JJ to go. And Selig, too, and that's a sea change for me.
12-15-2020 04:37 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Everyone needs to get..... "it is the time for JJ to go" out of your heads. We are small time in donations and large donors. There is no money to pay for his buy out. We have him for at least 2 more years unless he resigns. Wood needed to go 3 years ago when he got played by BW.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020 08:54 PM by Mr.BigBlue.)
12-15-2020 07:49 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(12-15-2020 07:49 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Everyone needs to get it the time for JJ to go out of your heads. We are small time in donations and large donors. There is no money to pay for his buy out. We have him for at least 2 more years unless he resigns. Wood needed to go 3 years ago when he got played by BW.

That's a pretty depressing thought as donations will just get smaller and smaller as we slowly swirl down the drain.
12-15-2020 07:59 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

ODU @ feces
Can’t we sell or mortgage the football stadium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-15-2020 08:29 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

ODU @ feces
I don't buy that they can't afford to fire him. His buyout is not astronomical and you can negotiate to pay it over a period of time. Someone came up with $5 mil to keep our athletic admin from taking pay cuts, I am sure they can find the money to replace JJ. Beyond that, it is a move that will pay for itself if you hire the right guy and create some excitement around that program.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020 10:20 PM by Monarchblue.)
12-15-2020 10:20 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(12-15-2020 07:49 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Everyone needs to get..... "it is the time for JJ to go" out of your heads. We are small time in donations and large donors. There is no money to pay for his buy out. We have him for at least 2 more years unless he resigns. Wood needed to go 3 years ago when he got played by BW.

In other words, Wood recruits and makes personnel decisions about as good as JJ does. 07-coffee3
12-16-2020 12:43 AM
BigBlueBobby Offline
1st String

(12-15-2020 10:20 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I don't buy that they can't afford to fire him. His buyout is not astronomical and you can negotiate to pay it over a period of time. Someone came up with $5 mil to keep our athletic admin from taking pay cuts, I am sure they can find the money to replace JJ. Beyond that, it is a move that will pay for itself if you hire the right guy and create some excitement around that program.

If season ticket holders sign a petition stating that they will not renew their tickets as long as JJ is coach then one of two things will happen. JJ gets fired OR banish the program. Would hate to see the latter happen but can't stand tp continue to watch what is happening to this program!
12-16-2020 08:13 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 08:13 AM)BigBlueBobby Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 10:20 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I don't buy that they can't afford to fire him. His buyout is not astronomical and you can negotiate to pay it over a period of time. Someone came up with $5 mil to keep our athletic admin from taking pay cuts, I am sure they can find the money to replace JJ. Beyond that, it is a move that will pay for itself if you hire the right guy and create some excitement around that program.

If season ticket holders sign a petition stating that they will not renew their tickets as long as JJ is coach then one of two things will happen. JJ gets fired OR banish the program. Would hate to see the latter happen but can't stand tp continue to watch what is happening to this program!

I thought it was embarrassing when Richmond pulled a similar stunt and it would be if ODU fans did so as well.

We are not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Doesn't mean its not legitimate for people to want change.
12-16-2020 08:36 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-16-2020 08:36 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

I thought it was embarrassing when Richmond pulled a similar stunt and it would be if ODU fans did so as well.

We are not nearly as bad as people want to make it out to be. Doesn't mean its not legitimate for people to want change.

Our record says we are slightly ahead of W&M and Norfolk State and don't have the athletes to be competitive with higher level mid-majors (VCU may be better than expected) or lower level P5 schools (the #11 in the Big Ten prediction for Maryland is looking generous). Looking like we are a middle of the pack CUSA team, hopefully not worse than that, but no evidence we are any better than that.
12-16-2020 09:00 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2020 08:36 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

A year and 4 games worth of data says we're pretty bad, and I don't see any Trey Freemans or Ahmad Cavers on our roster to make the future look any brighter.

I agree that a petition is embarrassing, and likely would have limited effect during Covid anyway. But we're pretty bad.
12-16-2020 09:34 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

A petition may be embarrassing, but so is the state of our program. The state of our program is noticed on the national stage, and petition is mostly in house. If the choice is between keeping the status quo or creating a petition, I will take the latter option.
12-16-2020 10:42 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

The new administration needs to get rid of Wood Selig ASAP... like needs to be gone by summer. Once a petition or boycott goes in place, we'll never get a large chunk of those people back and we will already likely lose some anyway because Wood Selig is so good at swindling money from people and I can't imagine his successor using such dishonest tactics. It is almost like he has the entire department hostage. Bad news doesn't get better with time... only worse. I will deal with 3 more years of Jones if Selig is gone. Someone higher up needs to face the reality of this disaster.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020 11:02 AM by EverRespect.)
12-16-2020 11:00 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

When Wood came he said 10 years should be the max for ADs...He is in his 11th. The next president should pick the next AD and the next AD should pick the next coaches to be hired.
12-16-2020 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.