Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Announcement - Athletics
Bookmark and Share
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Big Announcement - Athletics
There is an appeal for many alums to see games back on campus because of that emotional attachment to their college years. You can replace that once in awhile with a brandname venue like Soldier Field in Chicago. You can't replace that with a no-name SeatGeek soccer stadium in Bridgeview.
02-12-2020 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JB04 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
This. Is. Crap!

Play home games at home!
02-12-2020 05:20 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(02-12-2020 05:15 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  New Deal with CBS Sports Network
Join the Big Ten
Join the Big 12
Coach K coming back to chicago as new coach at NIU...

How are these for wild speculation?

Dang
I should have read further Old guys have old slow brains...
Sorry
02-12-2020 05:22 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I kinda wish my "wild maniac speculation" about a Convo naming rights deal was it. But ...

The fall home football schedule is going to be a jigsaw puzzle of fractured pieces ... FCS game, big-name game in Bridgeview, two Saturday MAC games, two weekday night MAC games. Don't really care about the first, worked in city and can't stand going there, maybe one of the Saturday games and -- at my age, weekday nights?! -- hah!

I have another "Old U" where I can send my $$, since I'm probably not going to travel that far for their home games either. Or better yet, more $$ for enjoying retirement.

Looks like a TV, snack table, recliner kinda season.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 05:27 PM by pvk75.)
02-12-2020 05:24 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(02-12-2020 05:19 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  There is an appeal for many alums to see games back on campus because of that emotional attachment to their college years. You can replace that once in awhile with a brandname venue like Soldier Field in Chicago. You can't replace that with a no-name SeatGeek soccer stadium in Bridgeview.

That is my #1 reason. Nostalgia. I’m not sure I feel as much of it once inside the stadium but more so on the drive(same drive I took when a student) and just arriving on campus. As for SeatGeek stadium, I really like these smaller but proportional new stadiums. It creates great in-game atmosphere. Really hope Huskie fans fill it.
02-12-2020 05:27 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(02-12-2020 11:56 AM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:51 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:49 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:48 AM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 11:39 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  BYU game moved to SeatGeek Stadium. lolz
Is that really the announcement?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yep, per the ol' Twitter.
[Image: tenor.gif]

i mean, this might not be a bad thing, depending on draw. Maybe if it sells out we'll move all games there. The Fire moved out and really, what is it you want, sold out crowds or games in DeKalb? 05-stirthepot

Maybe BYU threatened to drop the game and pay NIU the penalty? Just a thought...
02-12-2020 05:28 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(02-12-2020 05:27 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 05:19 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  There is an appeal for many alums to see games back on campus because of that emotional attachment to their college years. You can replace that once in awhile with a brandname venue like Soldier Field in Chicago. You can't replace that with a no-name SeatGeek soccer stadium in Bridgeview.

That is my #1 reason. Nostalgia. I’m not sure I feel as much of it once inside the stadium but more so on the drive(same drive I took when a student) and just arriving on campus. As for SeatGeek stadium, I really like these smaller but proportional new stadiums. It creates great in-game atmosphere. Really hope Huskie fans fill it.

Having games at your stadium, besides being the number 1 driver to build a fanbase, just also gives a sense of relevance to the program. Frazier has destroyed NIU athletics, I am not sure that is even close to over-exaggeration. He has taken an already weak athletics culture on campus, and put the final crushing blow to it over the past several years
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 05:30 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
02-12-2020 05:28 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC

I hope so too, not for STF's sake but for the Huskies. Also be interested to hear what kind of in-city promotion he has in mind.
02-12-2020 05:32 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

Yeah, same here. On the drive there, my mind always drifts to people I haven't heard from in years and basically time travels to those days.
02-12-2020 05:40 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2020 05:32 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  

I hope so too, not for STF's sake but for the Huskies. Also be interested to hear what kind of in-city promotion he has in mind.

They ran a “pub to pitch” for the soccer fans there. Buses would pick you up from any of 5 different nearby pubs and bring you to/from game.
02-12-2020 05:43 PM
Chicago_sportsfan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU FOOTBALL
BYU game moved to Soldier Field! I hope so...
02-12-2020 05:46 PM
Huskies2006 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, UF, Sox
The Chicago Fire paid $65 million to not play there, and yet NIU is going out of the way to do so? How is that possible?? What a joke.

I can understand the Chicago games, because.. money is important, and it's cool to play in stories places like Soldier field, but what in the hell are they thinking here? Nobody wants to go to Bridgeview, IL. For those who live in the city, it's really not any more convenient than just going to DeKalb. Unfuckingbelievable, just awful.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 05:55 PM by Huskies2006.)
02-12-2020 05:53 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

I said it to many laughs along time ago but NIU needs to move it’s main campus to Naperville. Throw up a few new buildings build a football and basketball stadium somewhere between Naperville and Aurora. Attendance is so down in Dekalb anyway. 3 million people in the area. It’s just a slow death out here in Dekalb.
02-12-2020 05:53 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

NIU would be able to get 30k students in that area.
02-12-2020 05:55 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(02-12-2020 03:11 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  I can understand the outrage, but let's not go overboard here. What, 2k season ticket holders, 3k students 10k others

On the flipside, I hardly think many in Chicago will get excited and attendance be a wash. It's actually a nice place. I bet with them losing the Fire they got stadium for nothing or next to nothing. At least I hope.

They shouldn't be paying anything. Why pay to play in a stadium barely any bigger when you have a free stadium in DeKalb.
02-12-2020 06:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(02-12-2020 03:11 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 03:06 PM)jjj Wrote:  This is an awful decision!!

NIU is blowing a chance to get a big crowd for a name opponent in Dekalb and rejuvenate NIU football for people (like the Maryland game in 03 did).......

I hope President Freedman takes action...but am not optimistic.

I can understand the outrage, but let's not go overboard here. What, 2k season ticket holders, 3k students 10k others

On the flipside, I hardly think many in Chicago will get excited and attendance be a wash. It's actually a nice place. I bet with them losing the Fire they got stadium for nothing or next to nothing. At least I hope.

I think you bring some good points. STF needs to weigh all his decisions on how many NIU alum can he bring into the fold and how many current fans is he going to upset. He has been issued a ultimatum to balance his small budget and that is an almost impossible task to accomplish. We all need to look at the big task. As JFK once said ask not what NIU can do for you but what can you do for NIU.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-12-2020 06:02 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Can't wait to see where we play the "home" game against Vanderbilt in 2022. Memorial Stadium in Joliet?
02-12-2020 06:02 PM
HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

(02-12-2020 05:55 PM)dc1 Wrote:  NIU would be able to get 30k students in that area.

That would be cool. But there's already several Universities in that area. Benedictine and North Central. The nightlife would be good for the students as well.

We might be able to swing a good deal on the Sears HQ once that company folds. They designed it with the idea that if the company were to fold, it could easily convert to a college campus. Pair that with the Sears Center and all we need after that is a Football stadium lol.

One can dream. I personally love DeKalb, because I called it home for 5 years. But that doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks so.
02-12-2020 06:03 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(02-12-2020 05:53 PM)dc1 Wrote:  I said it to many laughs along time ago but NIU needs to move it’s main campus to Naperville. Throw up a few new buildings build a football and basketball stadium somewhere between Naperville and Aurora. Attendance is so down in Dekalb anyway. 3 million people in the area. It’s just a slow death out here in Dekalb.
Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst idea. A location like Naperville, Schaumburg, or a similar area closer to the city.

02-12-2020 06:07 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(02-12-2020 05:28 PM)OldTtimeNIU Wrote:  Maybe BYU threatened to drop the game and pay NIU the penalty? Just a thought...

So take the BYU penalty money and play a P5 school on the road for $1.5 million and get paid. If you're going to play a road game you might as well get paid for it.

I don't see this game being well attended. Maybe after two straight "Chicago" game failures STF will finally stop giving up home games.
02-12-2020 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.