Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Announcement - Athletics
Bookmark and Share
UnknownScout Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Big Announcement - Athletics
His response to me on Facebook:

"Appreciate your feedback but we see Chicagoland as our base and a home field environment with over 100 thousand living alumni! Also, we have been challenged with getting home attendance outcomes that are positive and have a story of doing really well playing in Chicagoland venues 03-thumbsup"

I basically said it's dumb to give up a home game to a smaller stadium with nothing around and it makes it hard to justify season tickets when it's the best OOC game of the season.

You want to have better home attendance, FIX Huskie Stadium! It's rundown and old. I get money is hard to come by, but it's rough inside.
02-12-2020 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(02-12-2020 12:45 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  I was planning on coming up for the game, I'd rather be in DeKalb. The only reason I can think of for moving this game is to draw more alumni from the Chicago area. Seems like a desperation move.
DeKalb IS in the Chicago area! I get so baffled by this. Only 75 minutes from the city.
02-12-2020 03:38 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(02-12-2020 03:30 PM)UnknownScout Wrote:  His response to me on Facebook:

"Appreciate your feedback but we see Chicagoland as our base and a home field environment with over 100 thousand living alumni! Also, we have been challenged with getting home attendance outcomes that are positive and have a story of doing really well playing in Chicagoland venues 03-thumbsup"

I basically said it's dumb to give up a home game to a smaller stadium with nothing around and it makes it hard to justify season tickets when it's the best OOC game of the season.

You want to have better home attendance, FIX Huskie Stadium! It's rundown and old. I get money is hard to come by, but it's rough inside.

Have a story doing really well playing in Chicagoland venues?

----Toledo at Sox Park----a complete flop--attendance 10,18o
----Soldier Field games---nice, but probably 85% Wisconsin and Iowa fans.

You are not getting 17,000 folks from Utah coming to Bridgeview.

Sean, please just stop.
02-12-2020 03:48 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(02-12-2020 03:38 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 12:45 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  I was planning on coming up for the game, I'd rather be in DeKalb. The only reason I can think of for moving this game is to draw more alumni from the Chicago area. Seems like a desperation move.
DeKalb IS in the Chicago area! I get so baffled by this. Only 75 minutes from the city.
Back when I used to putz around on the AAC boards, I had a graphic that showed the Chicago Media Market and Dekalb is most definitely on there. Lemme see if I can find it...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
02-12-2020 03:48 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

Big Announcement - Athletics
Found it

[Image: Chicago.gif]

02-12-2020 03:49 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

Loved the soldier field games early in the year vs the big ten. Fine. But the Cell / Guaranteed Rate game vs Toledo was questionable. Fine I guess. But a Sat game against a brand name program, known to travel well, mid season!?! This seems like a bad move.

Also, I hate even write this but the observation smacked me in the face ... this seems like a shot at local DeKalb businesses... we ve all lived the somewhat up and down relationship between the town and the university but man, there goes a bunch of hotel and dinner reservations that Friday and Saturday. Just a bad look imo.
02-12-2020 03:50 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies

I live in the far southwest suburbs (Homer Glen) and always make it to Fattys in 1 hour.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 03:58 PM by HuskieDave.)
02-12-2020 03:51 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-12-2020 03:51 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  

I live in the far southwest suburbs (Homer Glen) and make to Fattys in 1 hour.

It always takes me close to an hour to get from the city (downtown) to Naperville. And it's another 35 minutes to get to Huskie stadium. And I don't drive slow.
02-12-2020 03:55 PM
huskies1945 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Huskies1945
what a bunch of crap!!
02-12-2020 04:00 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-12-2020 12:45 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  LOL. This is like when my company sent out a poop sandwich email that read...

In an effort to make lives better for our associates and their families, the decision has been made to retire the HMO plan from our healthcare benefits. This change has been made to enable us to remain competitive with the competition and combat against rising healthcare cost. Also, all monthly premium increases are published in the attached documents as well as increases to co-pays and releases of caps to annual RX deductibles.

Merry Christmas, from our family to yours.

Is that for real????
02-12-2020 04:09 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

(02-12-2020 04:09 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 12:45 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  LOL. This is like when my company sent out a poop sandwich email that read...

In an effort to make lives better for our associates and their families, the decision has been made to retire the HMO plan from our healthcare benefits. This change has been made to enable us to remain competitive with the competition and combat against rising healthcare cost. Also, all monthly premium increases are published in the attached documents as well as increases to co-pays and releases of caps to annual RX deductibles.

Merry Christmas, from our family to yours.

Is that for real????
Jesus... how boneheaded

02-12-2020 04:10 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Well, lets see how many fans attend this game. I'm sure all the Bridgeview Huskie fans will be there.
02-12-2020 04:24 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-12-2020 04:24 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Well, lets see how many fans attend this game. I'm sure all the Bridgeview Huskie fans will be there.

Yea, if you're going to do this you'd be better off playing another road game for the money, and use that to work on Huskie stadium.
02-12-2020 04:26 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-12-2020 12:58 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 12:50 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Lisa Freeman - do something about this.

Agreed. Lisa, help us, please.

Too late, they would not have announced this unless contracts were already signed. President Freeman has so many things on her plate and she should not have to clean up a mess that her AD created. However, if this is unpopular and a failure she should consider it when evaluating Frazier's performance and she should consider it when deciding if his contract should or should not be renewed.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 04:38 PM by bikechuck.)
02-12-2020 04:37 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

They're going to chase that 100k invisible fan base for ever. These games don't bother me at all. But they seem to really irritate some fans. I'm curious as to why that is? Things I can think of is: extra travel, tail gate ritual, friends at games, back at old school, familiarity, feels like a road game.

Maction already ruined so much of the home schedule. To me, this seems like a minor inconvenience and maybe even a good experience. Looks like a great venue. Not judging or criticizing. Just curious why some fans feel ripped off by this game.
02-12-2020 04:41 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(02-12-2020 04:41 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  They're going to chase that 100k invisible fan base for ever. These games don't bother me at all. But they seem to really irritate some fans. I'm curious as to why that is? Things I can think of is: extra travel, tail gate ritual, friends at games, back at old school, familiarity, feels like a road game.

Maction already ruined so much of the home schedule. To me, this seems like a minor inconvenience and maybe even a good experience. Looks like a great venue. Not judging or criticizing. Just curious why some fans feel ripped off by this game.

Fan bases grow with season tickets, outsourcing every single meaningful football game to an away game coupled with only have 2 games fans can attend anyway due to the ESPN deal = declining season ticket sales and eroding fan base. I really think the D1 gig might be up for football at NIU, colossal failure in leadership, failures to an epic scale. And the Maction argument holds no water with me, thats like a restaurant saying because no one comes to our restaurant we might as well sell spoiled food. All you are doing is assuring NO ONE will ever come again
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 05:01 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
02-12-2020 04:58 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2020 04:58 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 04:41 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  They're going to chase that 100k invisible fan base for ever. These games don't bother me at all. But they seem to really irritate some fans. I'm curious as to why that is? Things I can think of is: extra travel, tail gate ritual, friends at games, back at old school, familiarity, feels like a road game.

Fan bases grow with season tickets, outsourcing every single meaningful football game to an away game coupled with only have 2 games fans can attend anyway due to the ESPN deal = declining season ticket sales and eroding fan base. I really think the D1 gig might be up for football at NIU, colossal failure in leadership, failures to an epic scale

So your main reason is the business model. I agree that it’s a risk/reward concept. But besides the strategy, is there a reason you wouldn’t want to attend?
02-12-2020 05:02 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-12-2020 05:02 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

Fan bases grow with season tickets, outsourcing every single meaningful football game to an away game coupled with only have 2 games fans can attend anyway due to the ESPN deal = declining season ticket sales and eroding fan base. I really think the D1 gig might be up for football at NIU, colossal failure in leadership, failures to an epic scale

So your main reason is the business model. I agree that it’s a risk/reward concept. But besides the strategy, is there a reason you wouldn’t want to attend?

I'll have a harder time getting family members (which live in DeKalb) to go. And I might not have anyone else that wants to spend their Saturday in Bridgeview.
02-12-2020 05:05 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

New Deal with CBS Sports Network
Join the Big Ten
Join the Big 12
Coach K coming back to chicago as new coach at NIU...

How are these for wild speculation?
02-12-2020 05:15 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(02-12-2020 05:05 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-12-2020 05:02 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

I'll have a harder time getting family members (which live in DeKalb) to go. And I might not have anyone else that wants to spend their Saturday in Bridgeview.

Travel is just like price, there is a breaking point for everyone. I’m guessing Sean thinks that the opponent will help people move that breaking point a little further. The venue itself has great reviews on trip advisor. Be cool if they ran buses to and from dekalb to game.
02-12-2020 05:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.