Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NC State to fire Gottfried at end of season
Bookmark and Share
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: NC State to fire Gottfried at end of season
Roy Williams went 20-17 after going 34-4, and 36-3, a substantial drop, should they have fired him?
02-21-2017 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(02-21-2017 03:52 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Roy Williams went 20-17 after going 34-4, and 36-3, a substantial drop, should they have fired him?

I don't think anyone here is saying Gottfried should have been fired. But it's done. I'm saying Gottfried did so well recruiting, the right coach will have a good jump on bringing State to prominence.
02-21-2017 04:39 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-21-2017 04:39 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 03:52 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Roy Williams went 20-17 after going 34-4, and 36-3, a substantial drop, should they have fired him?

I don't think anyone here is saying Gottfried should have been fired. But it's done. I'm saying Gottfried did so well recruiting, the right coach will have a good jump on bringing State to prominence.
Perhaps, but their best player is going to the NBA for sure. That comment was more directed at 82.
02-21-2017 04:48 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I think my concern is actually more for Coach Keatts. Like Brownell. When he left, I rooted for him and his success. If Coach Keatts were to make what I believe is a bad decision, if NCSU offered him, and take the job I would of course root for him to succeed. I'm more pained and worried that if that were to happen if he didn't get to a Final Four by his fourth year he would get canned. I see him as having much more potential than to take a job where that is a realistic possibility.

I would rather see him in a job where he could flourish long term without that worry. Who knows, I could be wrong, but the last several coach hiring and firings at NCSU says otherwise.
02-21-2017 06:16 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW

Hmm. 20-17 appears to be a winning record to me. Did Roy suffer any historic losses that year? Did he win just 3 games in the ACC that year? Is it reasonable to expect an ACC team to only lose 3-4 games each and every year? Is it reasonable to expect an ACC to win more than 3-4 conference games two years in a row?

Apples and oranges. Incredible back to back years, dropping to a 20 win season is like batting over .425 two years in a row, then dropping to .325. State was batting .275 and dropped to .100 two years in a row.
02-21-2017 06:21 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2017 06:16 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I think my concern is actually more for Coach Keatts. Like Brownell. When he left, I rooted for him and his success. If Coach Keatts were to make what I believe is a bad decision, if NCSU offered him, and take the job I would of course root for him to succeed. I'm more pained and worried that if that were to happen if he didn't get to a Final Four by his fourth year he would get canned. I see him as having much more potential than to take a job where that is a realistic possibility.

I would rather see him in a job where he could flourish long term without that worry. Who knows, I could be wrong, but the last several coach hiring and firings at NCSU says otherwise.

$$$$$$$ that is all. I like Keatts, but the money may be too good to refuse...if he were even offered.
02-21-2017 06:22 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I think a lot of it for Keatts depends on how we finish both the regular season and Postseason this year with the preseason expectations we had. And that goes for whoever would look to snatch him from us. I'd be willing to bet there's more than a couple P5's with their eyes on him.
02-21-2017 06:50 PM
herdfifteen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uncw
I think Keatts could use another year and be even more ready for the challenge a new job may bring. I would love to have him back, however, if he wins the CAA again there is no way he doesn't move on, the only way to go from that position is down. Then the question becomes what positions are open, I do believe he will rely on the advice Pitino gave him prior to coming here. The question being debated well in this thread is simple, does State represent that position or not, I have to believe he is extremely high on their list.
02-21-2017 07:08 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Just heard an interesting fact on the State broadcast, Gottfried the the only coach in Acc history, that's right ACC HISTORY, to bring his team to the tourney his first 4 years. The storied history of the Acc... wow
82 who cares about a loss by 3 or 30 it looks the same in loss column. Same argument all of you have made for Uncws ugly wins being a win.
State was batting .275?!?! Lmao 4 straight tourneys and two sweet 16s is a hell of a lot more than .275
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 09:35 PM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-21-2017 09:33 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Looks like the last nail in the coffin for Gottfried, as Clemson is throttling them in the opening game of the ACC tournament.
03-07-2017 01:42 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

Commentators giving NCSU a hard time for firing Gottfried. The broadcast crew feels like he deserved at least one more year. NCSU has won 8 ACC tournament games since Gottfried arrived; only school with more is UNC. Take note prospective coaches.
03-07-2017 02:10 PM
AssyrianDuke Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(03-07-2017 02:10 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Commentators giving NCSU a hard time for firing Gottfried. The broadcast crew feels like he deserved at least one more year. NCSU has won 8 ACC tournament games since Gottfried arrived; only school with more is UNC. Take note prospective coaches.

This is what happens when you have Debbie Yow as your AD. That sound you hear is Gary Williams vigorously nodding his head.
03-07-2017 02:25 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2017 02:25 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 02:10 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Commentators giving NCSU a hard time for firing Gottfried. The broadcast crew feels like he deserved at least one more year. NCSU has won 8 ACC tournament games since Gottfried arrived; only school with more is UNC. Take note prospective coaches.

This is what happens when you have Debbie Yow as your AD. That sound you hear is Gary Williams vigorously nodding his head.

Entirely the reason it's going to be difficult to make a huge hire right now.
03-07-2017 02:28 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

Take note prospective coaches:

Gottfried on NC State job in his final press conference: Nobody in this league is compared to UNC and Duke like State is. Says in any other place, he'd probably stay.
03-07-2017 03:30 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2017 03:30 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Take note prospective coaches:

Gottfried on NC State job in his final press conference: Nobody in this league is compared to UNC and Duke like State is. Says in any other place, he'd probably stay.

#CoachingGraveyard
03-07-2017 04:13 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-07-2017 04:13 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(03-07-2017 03:30 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Take note prospective coaches:

#CoachingGraveyard

NC State doing NC State things. LMAO.
03-07-2017 04:53 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
If it is $$, Keatts will go. Would think that Archie Miller would say no first since he has Wolfpack ties. Perhaps Keatts will take the Gregg Marshall path and stay for his dream opportunity. Any guess as to where that would be? Marshall may be at Wichita for life now. Smart stayed for a couple of years after some thought he would go.
03-07-2017 06:34 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(03-07-2017 06:34 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  If it is $$, Keatts will go. Would think that Archie Miller would say no first since he has Wolfpack ties. Perhaps Keatts will take the Gregg Marshall path and stay for his dream opportunity. Any guess as to where that would be? Marshall may be at Wichita for life now. Smart stayed for a couple of years after some thought he would go.

Pitino told Keatts then: “Just be patient, wait for the right job.”

“He has a great job,” Pitino said. “He doesn’t have to jump at the first offer that comes along. And he doesn’t need to be somebody’s fourth or fifth choice for a job.”

I don't think he has to wait for a dream job. I'm not sure what that would be for Keatts, but Pitino's advice is spot on. There are a lot of jobs that will likely be open this year. Indiana or Illinois would be great opportunities for any coach, and I can understand why Georgetown would be intriguing. I'm not sure Mizzou, State or UGa give you an opportunity to win, but they offer bigger paychecks. Those second-tier jobs are the graveyards that I personally think a coach like Keatts should avoid.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 06:55 AM by bricksnivy.)
03-07-2017 07:10 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Pretty sure he was on the phone with Pitino this morning. He was sitting in the lobby, phone rang, greeted him "hey Rick, how are you?" And went outside to chat alone
03-07-2017 07:20 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
If he was smart and was high enough in regards with Pitino, he would wait until Pitino retires and take the reigns at UofL
03-08-2017 07:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.