Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NC State to fire Gottfried at end of season
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I'm not delusional. I don't think Keatts stays here forever. We aren't Gonzaga or St Mary's. We don't have the funds to pay coaches to stick around like they can. Shaka Smart eventually left VCU. Hell, even Brad Stevens left Butler and they thought they would keep him for years.

I also believe Keatts goes to a P5 from here, but I'd be shocked if he jumped into a bad situation like NC State.

A coach can get it done at NC State. By all accounts that coaches are measured by, Gottfried got it done at NC State. Yet the delusional standard that NCSU somehow sets for itself doesn't allow those coaches any comfort, even when they succeed by all normal standards. Clemson would be ecstatic if Brownell took them to 4 NCAA tournaments, nevermind how great he would be treated there if he took them to two Sweet 16s. Yet, if Keatts jumps to NC State, takes them to 4 NCAA appearances and 2 Sweet 16s, he could be fired mid season.

A coach can get it done at NC State. But the probability that NC State will live up to the delusional standard that they can do much better than what Gottfried did... is improbable. Not impossible. Improbable.
02-19-2017 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fletch 8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: NC State to fire Gottfried at end of season
Financially I acknowledge UNCW is not at the Gonzaga, Butler, or Witchita St. level YET but thats what we're shooting for, no?

Getting past the first weekend in the NCAA tournament would produce millions for UNCW. Most of that could go to a HC contract extension. Seahawks aren't there right now but we will eventually get there.
02-19-2017 05:21 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
(02-19-2017 05:21 PM)Fletch 8 Wrote:  Financially I acknowledge UNCW is not at the Gonzaga, Butler, or Witchita St. level YET but thats what we're shooting for, no?

Getting past the first weekend in the NCAA tournament would produce millions for UNCW. Most of that could go to a HC contract extension. Seahawks aren't there right now but we will eventually get there.

The Chancellor has realized the importance of basketball at UNCW and is committed to do as much as is possible. The fact is, the athletic department is self funded, so we are limited to tournament money, student fees, donations and advertising revenue to fund the department. The only state funded employee is the AD.

Our location in an area without a large business and in a relatively small population area to influence is limiting as well. A lot of people never consider how being on the coast and at the border of South Carolina affects our ability to grow a regional fan base. ECU, as much as they suck, is located in the middle of the state, so they are an easy drive for a lot of fans in every direction. Outside of Wilmington, there is no large city to draw from, with Jacksonville being by far the largest. And although the location isn't ideal, gaining fans, students, donors and advertisers from the Jacksonville area is critical to our future financial success in athletics.

We can get there, but creating a statewide following in our remote location in the state is a huge challenge.
02-19-2017 07:01 PM
seehawk83 Offline
Water Engineer

We'll just have to grow the greater Wilmington-Burgaw-Southport metro area.03-idea
02-19-2017 08:34 PM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

Don't ignore Acme, Delco, and Cerro Gordo.
02-19-2017 08:45 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Whiteville!!!!
02-19-2017 08:53 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

82 ECU is in Bfe , multiple hours to get to any real cities too. There is one reason and reason only they raise so much more, football.
02-20-2017 07:14 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-20-2017 07:14 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  82 ECU is in Bfe , multiple hours to get to any real cities too. There is one reason and reason only they raise so much more, football.

Okay. ECU has nothing to do with this thread. Let's please not let this thread go THAT FAR off the rails.
02-20-2017 07:18 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 07:18 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 07:14 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  82 ECU is in Bfe , multiple hours to get to any real cities too. There is one reason and reason only they raise so much more, football.

Okay. ECU has nothing to do with this thread. Let's please not let this thread go THAT FAR off the rails.
No one was $hit talking, we sould be ok :) just had to make that point
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 07:41 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-20-2017 07:41 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-20-2017 07:41 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 07:18 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

No one was $hit talking, we sould be ok :) just had to make that point

I know. Just wanted to keep it sorta on topic and not bait the trolls.
02-20-2017 08:52 AM
Dash Rip Rock Jr Offline
Bench Warmer

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017...basketball

The only reasonable article I have read so far on the NC state job and a good lesson for the younger crowd.
02-20-2017 09:00 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 09:00 AM)Dash Rip Rock Jr Wrote:  http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017...basketball

The only reasonable article I have read so far on the NC state job and a good lesson for the younger crowd.

I think there is a lot in this article that is "off base" to say the least. I hate UNC, but to compare this situation to the Doherty situation is laughable, at best.
As far as the history lesson, that's also fine too, but , the world we live in today is "what have you done for me lately".
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 09:26 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-20-2017 09:24 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

On a smaller scale, we have proven that, with the right things falling in place, you can turn a flailing program back around. The advantage State has over us is that, if the right coach comes in and turns their program back around, they have the funds to keep that coach and grow said program even more. They could get back to their glory days and stay there for a long time.
02-20-2017 09:27 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-20-2017 09:00 AM)Dash Rip Rock Jr Wrote:  http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017...basketball

Get out of here: "I’m not sure if Gary Williams is still actively sabotaging her, but everybody in the business knows how he feels about his former boss."

This was written from a State fan perspective. It's BS to pass this off as "national media bias." State admin and fans should stop being so damn defensive about every critic of their coaching situation, and conduct an honest evaluation. Start by asking, why have coaches from Wichita State, VCU, Memphis, Texas, and freaking LSU turned down more money to come to Raleigh? That can't be explained away by a national bias.

They're offended when called a second-tier ACC coaching job, but they're behind UNC, Duke, UVa, Notre Dame and Louisville. At best, you can argue that they're the 6th best job in the ACC, but it's somehow offensive to be second-tier. It's illogical.
02-20-2017 09:28 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 09:27 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  On a smaller scale, we have proven that, with the right things falling in place, you can turn a flailing program back around. The advantage State has over us is that, if the right coach comes in and turns their program back around, they have the funds to keep that coach and grow said program even more. They could get back to their glory days and stay there for a long time.
I hear you, but We also didn't have to contend with UNC, Duke, Louisville, UVA, Cuse etc while turning it around. I do agree with one thing though, this is prob the most important hire for them in years. With Jimmy B retiring, K and Roy getting there with the right hire it could be their time to pounce. question is, will State peeps be that patient with a new coach? History has shown us that they won't.
02-20-2017 09:31 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 09:28 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

Get out of here: "I’m not sure if Gary Williams is still actively sabotaging her, but everybody in the business knows how he feels about his former boss."

This was written from a State fan perspective. It's BS to pass this off as "national media bias." State admin and fans should stop being so damn defensive about every critic of their coaching situation, and conduct an honest evaluation. Start by asking, why have coaches from Wichita State, VCU, Memphis, Texas, and freaking LSU turned down more money to come to Raleigh? That can't be explained away by a national bias.

They're offended when called a second-tier ACC coaching job, but they're behind UNC, Duke, UVa, Notre Dame and Louisville. At best, you can argue that they're the 6th best job in the ACC, but it's somehow offensive to be second-tier. It's illogical.
And Cuse, at least until Jimmy is gone and even with a sub par season.
02-20-2017 09:32 AM
tke75hawk Offline
1st String

I Root For: uncw
The article I saw was in the n&o by someone on there staff and it was in the paper today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app
02-20-2017 09:46 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2017 09:46 AM)tke75hawk Wrote:  The article I saw was in the n&o by someone on there staff and it was in the paper today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app

By the tone, i'd guess it's the State beat writer or someone connected to the school
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 09:49 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
02-20-2017 09:49 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

State has all the resources in place. It all boils down to proper decision making.
02-20-2017 10:20 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(02-20-2017 09:24 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

I think there is a lot in this article that is "off base" to say the least. I hate UNC, but to compare this situation to the Doherty situation is laughable, at best.
As far as the history lesson, that's also fine too, but , the world we live in today is "what have you done for me lately".

You mean stories about Norm Sloan and Everett Case aren't what motivate today's teenagers? I've personally witnessed David Thompson [corrected] take a coin off the top of a backboard. I have Todd Fuller's autograph on a bandaid wrapper when he came through my small town on the ACC barnstorming event. I don't need a history lesson so that I can appreciate what a "great job" NCSU is.

Is head coach of the Chicago Bears an elite NFL job? The answer is (sadly) no! Few NFL franchises can rival the historic significance of Chicago, but that has no impact on today's coaches or free agents. A history lesson isn't going to make coaches and recruits care about NCSU basketball.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 11:56 AM by bricksnivy.)
02-20-2017 10:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.