Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UMass Football
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: UMass Football
(06-20-2015 10:57 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  In a perfect world (if UMass got its sh-t together, Army got serious about football, etc.), I'd like to add these schools to the AAC:

1) UMass
2) Colorado State
3) Air Force
4) Army

But we don't live in a perfect world, so we'll do our best with what we have.

I don't know that Army and Air Force to the AAC is that far fetched. Having all 3 academies in the same conference provides Navy and Air Force a lot more scheduling flexibility than they have now. They'd probably be in the west with schools like Tulsa, SMU and Tulane who they'd play anyway.
06-20-2015 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rube Dali Offline
1st String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Two words. Drop football. Now.
06-20-2015 04:31 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(06-20-2015 04:31 PM)Rube Dali Wrote:  Two words. Drop football. Now.
Sure, not.

06-20-2015 04:52 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

(06-20-2015 04:52 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
Sure, not.

Man...those Fro to Tajae clips. Hoping to get more of their same in their second year together.
06-20-2015 06:06 PM
Sam Minuteman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMass/USF
I have to admit that I was worried when it was first announced that UMass was leaving the MAC. It is still a little scary but I think UMass will be able to make it for a few years and maybe even thrive. Looking at the next two years the schedule is tough almost every game against teams that are better than the teams UMass plays in the MAC.

I know the big benefit of shifting conferences is more money and prestige. While UMass will be losing money compared to if the Football team was in the MAC, they will be playing a better schedule. They even have a guaranteed bowl in 2016 for the big donors and alumni to boot!! (OK so it's not a real bowl but ending the season in Hawaii will be a good reward for the tough schedule)

UMass is going to be working on getting a practice bubble in the next couple years after that should be the renovations for the stadium, hopefully they include bathrooms! So overall I don't think the program is in as bad a shape as some would like to think.

Sep. 3 Gators at Florida Gators

Sep. 10 Huskies Connecticut Huskies

Sep. 17 Eagles at Boston College Eagles

Sep. 24 Bulldogs Mississippi State Bulldogs

Oct. 1 Green Wave Tulane Green Wave

Oct. 8 Monarchs at Old Dominion Monarchs

Oct. 15 Bulldogs Louisiana Tech Bulldogs

Oct. 29 Mountaineers at Appalachian State Mountaineers

Nov. 5 Trojans at Troy Trojans

Nov. 19 Cougars at BYU Cougars

Nov. 26 Warriors at Hawaii Rainbow Warriors

Sep. 2 Huskies at Connecticut Huskies

Sep. 9 Monarchs Old Dominion Monarchs

Sep. 16 Owls at Temple Owls

Sep. 23 Bulldogs at Mississippi State Bulldogs

Oct. 7 Warriors Hawaii Rainbow Warriors

Oct. 21 Eagles Georgia Southern Eagles

Oct. 28 Mountaineers Appalachian State Mountaineers

Nov. 4 Volunteers at Tennessee Volunteers

Nov. 18 Cougars at BYU Cougars

09/01 - at Boston College
09/08 - at Georgia Southern
09/15 - at Florida International
09/22 - Charlotte
09/29 - at Ohio
11/03 - Troy
11/10 - BYU
06-20-2015 08:01 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
UMass leaving the MAC I thought is a good move.

Gives them the football only flexibility for joining the AAC. This would surprise a lot of people but I believe UMass has a better shot getting into the AAC football only over getting in all sports.

The Big East had a lot of its football schools come in initially as FB only schools like Virginia Tech that finally earned an all sport place at the table. Navy is also joining the AAC FB only.

Let's say UConn is fed up with the AAC, rejoins the BE and takes Memphis with them. Both schools then move on to play an independent FB schedule.

The southern schools of the AAC may band together against another all sport New England school. They might be okay with UMass though if its just FB Only. They can get ODU all sports and UMass FB only.
06-20-2015 09:11 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(06-20-2015 06:06 PM)e-parade Wrote:  
(06-20-2015 04:52 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
Sure, not.

Man...those Fro to Tajae clips. Hoping to get more of their same in their second year together.

Like how at the 40 second mark in the video as the music changes, the line lock elbows, the coaching staff has them believing and playing as a team. With almost every one back, they are ready to make some noise and we'll be leaving the MAC with a bang!
06-21-2015 08:01 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-20-2015 09:11 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  UMass leaving the MAC I thought is a good move.

Gives them the football only flexibility for joining the AAC. This would surprise a lot of people but I believe UMass has a better shot getting into the AAC football only over getting in all sports.

The Big East had a lot of its football schools come in initially as FB only schools like Virginia Tech that finally earned an all sport place at the table. Navy is also joining the AAC FB only.

Let's say UConn is fed up with the AAC, rejoins the BE and takes Memphis with them. Both schools then move on to play an independent FB schedule.

The southern schools of the AAC may band together against another all sport New England school. They might be okay with UMass though if its just FB Only. They can get ODU all sports and UMass FB only.

1) The AAC is not expanding.

2) UConn and Memphis will never join the Big East.

Saying UConn will leave the AAC for the Big East is like saying Ohio State will leave the Big 10 for the AAC. It ain't gonna happen.
06-21-2015 08:59 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(06-21-2015 08:59 AM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(06-20-2015 09:11 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  UMass leaving the MAC I thought is a good move.

Saying UConn will leave the AAC for the Big East is like saying Ohio State will leave the Big 10 for the AAC. It ain't gonna happen.
^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

The AAC isn't expanding, and if they were expanding I guarantee that there are AT LEAST five more ready and suitable candidates besides UMass, and it will NOT be for a "football only" arrangement except for another Military Service Academy.

And were UConn to go anywhere else it would not be the New-new-Big East which now is composed of purely private-parochial schools.
06-21-2015 11:36 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Much more likely the southern AAC schools would prefer to exit the New England/far northern markets if UConn left. Let Temple, Navy, and Cinci form the northern frontier of the AAC and begin to either move west or south with better--stronger--more established football programs located in better recruiting grounds with better fan support. No point in adding programs with little fan support with small recruting bases in cold environments. There are other programs with more potential and higher ceilings.

My feeling is UMass has about 2 years to find a conference or the program will begin a descent from which it won't be able to recover. They are looking at a weak recruiting ground, few home games, poor fan support a bad campus facility, little chance of getting bowl qualified, and zero chance of a major bowl. UMass might not even get a bowl if they manage to win 6 games as they have no bowl ties. That's a very tough environment in which to thrive. I think they made a mistake leaving the MAC. Yes, they make slightly more money in the A10---but they probabably are in the NCAA's 8 out of every 10 years competing in the MAC. That would lessen the sting of the money loss while giving thier young FBS program a real chance to develop and succeed.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 11:47 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-21-2015 11:37 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2015 11:36 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

The AAC isn't expanding, and if they were expanding I guarantee that there are AT LEAST five more ready and suitable candidates besides UMass, and it will NOT be for a "football only" arrangement except for another Military Service Academy.

And were UConn to go anywhere else it would not be the New-new-Big East which now is composed of purely private-parochial schools.

And for the sake of the game, let me list out which FIVE (realistic) candidates would be available and ready for the AAC before UMass:
1) Southern Mississippi... Has had good football before, comes with built-in rivalries with several members.
2) Northern Illinois... Already been beat to death, so let's skip it.
3) Charlotte... Fits the "Metro" character of the conference and Charlotte is a major media-market, built in history with several members, has a plan already in place to grow their stadium and infrastructure.
4) Ohio/Toledo... Built in rivalry with UC, Toledo already on the cusp of being a "major" sized program. One of these (not both) could be an easy add.
5) Marshall (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...), built in rivalries with several members, travel partner for UC, fills in the footprint a little.

None of these are likely. (And I didn't even have to throw in Army, Air Force, or any of the MW teams so often bantered about.) But ALL of these are MORE LIKELY than UMass. And if the AAC called them tomorrow, ALL of these programs would be ready to roll in a year.
06-21-2015 11:45 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-21-2015 11:45 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

And for the sake of the game, let me list out which FIVE (realistic) candidates would be available and ready for the AAC before UMass:
1) Southern Mississippi... Has had good football before, comes with built-in rivalries with several members.
3) Charlotte... Fits the "Metro" character of the conference and Charlotte is a major media-market, built in history with several members, has a plan already in place to grow their stadium and infrastructure.
4) Ohio/Toledo... Built in rivalry with UC, Toledo already on the cusp of being a "major" sized program. One of these (not both) could be an easy add.
5) Marshall (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...), built in rivalries with several members, travel partner for UC, fills in the footprint a little.

None of these are likely. (And I didn't even have to throw in Army, Air Force, or any of the MW teams so often bantered about.) But ALL of these are MORE LIKELY than UMass. And if the AAC called them tomorrow, ALL of these programs would be ready to roll in a year.

The AAC won't even return a phone call from the schools you listed 1-5. But if the western schools like BYU, Boise, Air Force, and Colorado State are interested, I'm sure the AAC will be willing to talk.
06-21-2015 12:11 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2015 12:11 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

The AAC won't even return a phone call from the schools you listed 1-5. But if the western schools like BYU, Boise, Air Force, and Colorado State are interested, I'm sure the AAC will be willing to talk.

Probably true... But THEY would all jump if the AAC called, and my central point is that any of those 5 are ahead of UMass on the AAC's speed dial.

But yeah... The AAC wouldn't return a call from any of those 5... Agreed.
06-21-2015 02:04 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: UMass Football

^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

Agree the AAC is not expanding unless UC gets a P5 invite. Think Southern Miss and Marshall are valid. Also agree we need to keep building support, which we've done with poor records.

2011 11k attendance FCS transition
2012 13k attendance FBS transition year
2013. 15k
2014. 16k

The numbers need to continue to grow, however it's above the 49ers stadium capacity and we also have stadium expansion plans. Our Football Performance Center and BB Champion Center are equal to or better than Georgia Tech and most P5 teams. The stadium expansion and improvements is the missing link.

^^^^
THIS.
Oh, God...THIS!!!

06-21-2015 03:53 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2015 03:53 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  The numbers need to continue to grow, however it's above the 49ers stadium capacity and we also have stadium expansion plans. Our Football Performance Center and BB Champion Center are equal to or better than Georgia Tech and most P5 teams. The stadium expansion and improvements is the missing link.

Dude... No offense or anything, but I have been following your "stadium expansion plans." They are piecemeal at best. Charlotte has built a stadium where you can see the future expansion in the very footprint of the stadium. UMass, on the other hand, is putting a piece here and then promising future pieces there. Whether those future pieces actually ever happen or not is the gamble.

Not to mention the other factor: UMass is not investing in the "Stadium" proper. You are adding stuff for the football players, but the actual parts of McGuirk that paying customers actually use are, as of yet, untouched. How are you going to sell tickets when the fans have to stand in cold lines waiting for the cold port-a-potties? Or waiting for concession stands last touched in the 1950's. Great, your "performance center" is on par with Georgia Tech. Meanwhile your fans...all 17k of them...are sitting on a stadium that has not been substantially improved in 40-some-odd years... And what is most alarming (for those of us outside your conference, at least) is that UMass has no set plans to fix those glaring deficits.

If everything else were equal, give me Charlotte every single time. They at least have a plan for the future.
06-21-2015 04:36 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(06-21-2015 11:45 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  ...4) Ohio/Toledo... Built in rivalry with UC, Toledo already on the cusp of being a "major" sized program. One of these (not both) could be an easy add.

curious to know what it is about Toledo that puts them on the cusp of being a major sized program?
06-21-2015 04:39 PM
Bearcats#1 Online
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
^pass
06-21-2015 05:04 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(06-21-2015 11:37 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Much more likely the southern AAC schools would prefer to exit the New England/far northern markets if UConn left. Let Temple, Navy, and Cinci form the northern frontier of the AAC and begin to either move west or south with better--stronger--more established football programs located in better recruiting grounds with better fan support. No point in adding programs with little fan support with small recruting bases in cold environments. There are other programs with more potential and higher ceilings.

My feeling is UMass has about 2 years to find a conference or the program will begin a descent from which it won't be able to recover. They are looking at a weak recruiting ground, few home games, poor fan support a bad campus facility, little chance of getting bowl qualified, and zero chance of a major bowl. UMass might not even get a bowl if they manage to win 6 games as they have no bowl ties. That's a very tough environment in which to thrive. I think they made a mistake leaving the MAC. Yes, they make slightly more money in the A10---but they probabably are in the NCAA's 8 out of every 10 years competing in the MAC. That would lessen the sting of the money loss while giving thier young FBS program a real chance to develop and succeed.

As a MAC fan, I'm just glad UMass and their 93 mile away stadium is no longer along for the ride.

07-coffee3
06-21-2015 09:58 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Re: RE: UMass Football
(06-21-2015 04:36 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(06-21-2015 03:53 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  The numbers need to continue to grow, however it's above the 49ers stadium capacity and we also have stadium expansion plans. Our Football Performance Center and BB Champion Center are equal to or better than Georgia Tech and most P5 teams. The stadium expansion and improvements is the missing link.

Dude... No offense or anything, but I have been following your "stadium expansion plans." They are piecemeal at best. Charlotte has built a stadium where you can see the future expansion in the very footprint of the stadium. UMass, on the other hand, is putting a piece here and then promising future pieces there. Whether those future pieces actually ever happen or not is the gamble.

Not to mention the other factor: UMass is not investing in the "Stadium" proper. You are adding stuff for the football players, but the actual parts of McGuirk that paying customers actually use are, as of yet, untouched. How are you going to sell tickets when the fans have to stand in cold lines waiting for the cold port-a-potties? Or waiting for concession stands last touched in the 1950's. Great, your "performance center" is on par with Georgia Tech. Meanwhile your fans...all 17k of them...are sitting on a stadium that has not been substantially improved in 40-some-odd years... And what is most alarming (for those of us outside your conference, at least) is that UMass has no set plans to fix those glaring deficits.

If everything else were equal, give me Charlotte every single time. They at least have a plan for the future.

Wtf Bearcat Jerry. You know Charlotte plans did not come until and as a condition to a CUSA invite and yet you chide us waiting for moving forward with our end zone expansion on a conference invite
You guys on the AAC board advise Temple to build a bear bones stadium like UCF and improve it later and you still chide us for lack of amenities. Going independent and for 2016 most of our games at Gillette is going to make impossible to move forward with OCS expansion. In the near future without a conference invite.

Looking forward to our last season in the MAC. Kittonhead remember this Miami will be playing the last MAC game in Amherst not Ohio
06-22-2015 09:10 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-22-2015 09:10 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(06-21-2015 04:36 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Wtf Bearcat Jerry. You know Charlotte plans did not come until and as a condition to a CUSA invite and yet you chide us waiting for moving forward with our end zone expansion on a conference invite
You guys on the AAC board advise Temple to build a bear bones stadium like UCF and improve it later and you still chide us for lack of amenities. Going independent and for 2016 most of our games at Gillette is going to make impossible to move forward with OCS expansion. In the near future without a conference invite.

Looking forward to our last season in the MAC. Kittonhead remember this Miami will be playing the last MAC game in Amherst not Ohio

Actually, I (just speaking for myself) think that Temple will never get an on-campus-stadium built and that Temple football is unsustainable at the G-5/AAC level. I just want to be clear on the issue. Now others say that "Temple should build a bare-bones stadium," but that isn't me.
06-22-2015 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.