Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: CUSA board Music thread (what are you listening to right now?)
Bookmark and Share
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: OT: CUSA board Music thread (what are you listening to right now?)
last one before the debate of crazy begins......line 1a and 1b are gripping tighter than those hands that choke the bishop....

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 07:46 PM by stinkfist.)
10-19-2016 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(10-19-2016 07:35 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 06:15 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(10-19-2016 04:00 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Artist: Nirvana
Album: Nevermind
Cut: "Smells Like teen Spirit"
September 24, 1991 DGC Records

I always wonder if they never put out Nevermind and led with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" would Nirvana have been revered like they are? I heard their precursor to that album in "Bleach" and it was just a alt rock noise fest. That said, Nevermind hit at the right time with the right tracks to propel them to their status in the history of rock music. Personally though, I think Unplugged was their best overall album.

I get what you're driving at.....however, that song is iconic....it changed things...

I still have to go back and get some nirvana funk at times....it's like jimi....his style redefined a genre....

I can only pay homage to that in every capacity...

The only other album in Rock History that was like that that I can think of was "Sgt. Pepper." "Nevermind" just changed everything overnight. It's quite an amazing achievement when you think about it. Remember, Hair Metal was at its peak, the Powerdance homogeny of pop music dominated the radiowaves, and punk and alternative were solid, but hadn't really broken out, and Rap still had a log ways to go to its ubiquity today.

I remember being in Austin, TX for a visit during 1990 and out on Sixth Street when that song came on. Everything just changed in an instant, and you knew. I was never a huge fan of grunge, but I recognized the change was needed at the time. Nirvana was right band at right time in right place.

Artist: Dr. John
Album: In the Right Place
Cut: "Right Place Wrong Time"
February 25, 1973 Atco Records

10-20-2016 10:06 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(10-20-2016 10:06 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  The only other album in Rock History that was like that that I can think of was "Sgt. Pepper." "Nevermind" just changed everything overnight. It's quite an amazing achievement when you think about it. Remember, Hair Metal was at its peak, the Powerdance homogeny of pop music dominated the radiowaves, and punk and alternative were solid, but hadn't really broken out, and Rap still had a log ways to go to its ubiquity today.

I remember being in Austin, TX for a visit during 1990 and out on Sixth Street when that song came on. Everything just changed in an instant, and you knew. I was never a huge fan of grunge, but I recognized the change was needed at the time. Nirvana was right band at right time in right place.

The Beetles were already an established act by the time Sgt. Pepper came out right? I mean, Nirvana was a unknown with Bleach--but Nevermind with that lead single of Teen Spirit really took off. But by that time, yeah Hair/Glam Metal was on its way out due it becoming almost self parodying by that point.... I think that was well illustrated in that documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization." That thing was a trip to watch and they interviewed some major bands for that thing too.
10-20-2016 06:01 PM
GreenSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: Thundering Herd

10-20-2016 06:35 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
I found these guys when I was on a Royal Canoe jag through YT. They have an official video where there's more accompaniment on this song but I like this stripped down duet where it's just his piano and her incredible voice. I had to google the shitts out of them. They're out of Austin Tx of course.

Wild Child - Break Bones (duet)

Stink.....this video is for YOU. Lol. They have plenty of songs I like but I think you'll appreciate the video for this one.

Wild Child - Rillo Talk (OFFICIAL)

10-20-2016 09:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(10-20-2016 06:01 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(10-20-2016 10:06 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  The only other album in Rock History that was like that that I can think of was "Sgt. Pepper." "Nevermind" just changed everything overnight. It's quite an amazing achievement when you think about it. Remember, Hair Metal was at its peak, the Powerdance homogeny of pop music dominated the radiowaves, and punk and alternative were solid, but hadn't really broken out, and Rap still had a log ways to go to its ubiquity today.

The Beetles were already an established act by the time Sgt. Pepper came out right? I mean, Nirvana was a unknown with Bleach--but Nevermind with that lead single of Teen Spirit really took off. But by that time, yeah Hair/Glam Metal was on its way out due it becoming almost self parodying by that point.... I think that was well illustrated in that documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization." That thing was a trip to watch and they interviewed some major bands for that thing too.

You are correct about the Beatles already being well-established by the time of "Sgt. Pepper." I was talking more about the near-instant sea-change that "nevermind" began. I agree that Nirvana came out of nowhere. While the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" (released June 1, 1967) was their attempt to top Brian Wilson & the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" (released on May 16, 1966), Wilson's effort, though well-recognized in critical circles, was not the quite the commercial juggernaut that "Sgt. Pepper" was. Still, I own the "Pet Sounds" box set, which is to me mandatory for any fan of popular music. So, it was actually "Pet Sounds" that precluded the change, but "Sgt. Pepper" made it so. Because of the Beach Boys' band name, and the subject matter of their earlier hits, many who enjoy music just don't really understand how monumental and influential Brian Wilson was to the structure and sound of popular music back then and even through to today.

Artist: Beach Boys
Album: Pet Sounds
Cut: "God Only Knows"
May 16, 1966 Capitol Records

This video takes some time, but well worth setting aside the time to watch when you have a chance:

10-21-2016 09:12 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

Picked up the new cd today...pretty good IMO.
10-21-2016 05:19 PM
stinkfist Offline

(10-20-2016 09:20 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  I found these guys when I was on a Royal Canoe jag through YT. They have an official video where there's more accompaniment on this song but I like this stripped down duet where it's just his piano and her incredible voice. I had to google the shitts out of them. They're out of Austin Tx of course.

Stink.....this video is for YOU. Lol. They have plenty of songs I like but I think you'll appreciate the video for this one.

[Image: rAaZUeo.jpg]

I must give a major 04-bow and puff puff no pass go, no collect 2 bills.....

and to top if off....that song is amazingly good...

you never cease to surprise with simple bow and arrow gifts.....thank you and 03-thumbsup to that sliver of heaven....her voice reminds me of edie brickell
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 06:06 PM by stinkfist.)
10-21-2016 05:55 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(10-21-2016 05:55 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(10-20-2016 09:20 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  I found these guys when I was on a Royal Canoe jag through YT. They have an official video where there's more accompaniment on this song but I like this stripped down duet where it's just his piano and her incredible voice. I had to google the shitts out of them. They're out of Austin Tx of course.

you never cease to surprise with simple bow and arrow gifts.....thank you and 03-thumbsup to that sliver of heaven....her voice reminds me of edie brickell

Very nice call on the Edie Brickell comparison. I hadn't thought of that. I know I have an old guy crush on her. Love her smile and her whole chill hippie vibe. I like the music too. Can't hate on a ukulele, a cello and a violin ever.

What kills me is I found their facebook page and I'll be damned if they didn't play at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville back in September. Had I discovered them earlier I would have definitely caught that show. I like the venue. Intimate little place in a area of Nashvegas that they've fixed up a bit.
10-21-2016 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Incesticide is a good compilation album of Nirvana tracks:

10-21-2016 08:40 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

A few cuts from Johnny Winter's first two albums (1968 & 69)...

10-21-2016 09:27 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(10-21-2016 08:40 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Incesticide is a good compilation album of Nirvana tracks:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Insecticide a ep and their 3rd album was In Utero?

1) Bleach
2) Nevermind
3) In Utero?

Ok..... some Nirvana tracks to keep the vibe going.

Unplugged version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA
Personally I consider the unplugged one superior

Unplugged one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNd5cZ9lbM0
I'd give a push on this one but with the atmosphere on that Unplugged sound stage and it being a live acoustic performance it resonated more IMO.

Considering their politics and I believe his infatuation with Courtney Love at that point always kind of gives weight to this song.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 10:45 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
10-21-2016 10:44 PM
stinkfist Offline

(10-21-2016 07:40 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 05:55 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Very nice call on the Edie Brickell comparison. I hadn't thought of that. I know I have an old guy crush on her. Love her smile and her whole chill hippie vibe. I like the music too. Can't hate on a ukulele, a cello and a violin ever.

What kills me is I found their facebook page and I'll be damned if they didn't play at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville back in September. Had I discovered them earlier I would have definitely caught that show. I like the venue. Intimate little place in a area of Nashvegas that they've fixed up a bit.

I've been listening to Wild Child material now for ~3 hrs.....your post set my vibe for the evening...

I'm with ya regarding Edie....who'd a thunk a pygmy would steal her heart (paul simon)

she had me the minute this video came out....her all american virginal guise was mesmerizing...you just couldn't help but fall in love with her right out of the gate....

thanks again for turning me on to something new (to me)
10-21-2016 10:52 PM
stinkfist Offline

changing gears to one of my fave hippie bands....guitarist and bassist are from west point mississippi

this one is with the Warren in the vocal slot (their current singer that replaced Hoon).....what a shame that guy couldn't control his habits....he was one in a long list of artists that was lost much too early

this one may be their best....

another with Warren at the helm

these guys have written some really good music....very underrated IMO....
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 11:38 PM by stinkfist.)
10-21-2016 11:28 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(10-21-2016 05:19 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Picked up the new cd today...pretty good IMO.

Nice. Ray Luzier, the drummer, is my next door neighbor in Nashville. I'll have to congratulate him. 04-bow
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2016 12:03 AM by HogDawg.)
10-22-2016 12:02 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(10-21-2016 10:44 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 08:40 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Incesticide is a good compilation album of Nirvana tracks:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Insecticide a ep and their 3rd album was In Utero?

1) Bleach
2) Nevermind
3) In Utero?

Incesticide has at least 15 tracks so I'm not sure how it can be considered an EP. It was released in December 1992 - in between Nevermind (1991) and In Utero (1993). You are correct with your listing of their studio albums.
10-22-2016 09:15 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(10-22-2016 09:15 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 10:44 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

1) Bleach
2) Nevermind
3) In Utero?

Incesticide has at least 15 tracks so I'm not sure how it can be considered an EP. It was released in December 1992 - in between Nevermind (1991) and In Utero (1993). You are correct with your listing of their studio albums.

Yeah, cause the next two were Unplugged and Muddy Banks...
10-22-2016 11:33 AM
stinkfist Offline

PTNC....what did you think about Jack's acoustic release.....I've listened to the two on the tube.....like 'em both....didn't love 'em, but they're solid...

just looking for a fair analysis before purchasing....and we do share some similar values in 'worth'....I trust your judgment...
10-22-2016 11:48 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(10-22-2016 11:48 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  PTNC....what did you think about Jack's acoustic release.....I've listened to the two on the tube.....like 'em both....didn't love 'em, but they're solid...

just looking for a fair analysis before purchasing....and we do share some similar values in 'worth'....I trust your judgment...

Well.... I mean, he's not breaking in NEW material, so it depends on how bad you want to hear his stuff acoustic. I liked most of the songs in their acoustic form. Its not an adrenaline rusher "rocker" kind of album and with the acoustic tinge its not like most of his other work. I wasn't disappointed in the purchase but I guess it would depend on good a sale you catch on it or how much you like his acoustic side.
10-22-2016 12:12 PM
stinkfist Offline

(10-22-2016 12:12 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(10-22-2016 11:48 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  PTNC....what did you think about Jack's acoustic release.....I've listened to the two on the tube.....like 'em both....didn't love 'em, but they're solid...

Well.... I mean, he's not breaking in NEW material, so it depends on how bad you want to hear his stuff acoustic. I liked most of the songs in their acoustic form. Its not an adrenaline rusher "rocker" kind of album and with the acoustic tinge its not like most of his other work. I wasn't disappointed in the purchase but I guess it would depend on good a sale you catch on it or how much you like his acoustic side.

as I continue to age and still attempt to enjoy the strings, the acoustic side is becoming more relevant....

you should understand by now that mood drives the ear...

and there are only a couple of styles I now shun....

I truly enjoy raw and a spin on the original studio version......it's Jack's mantra when you drive it down to 1 or 0....he gets it....he's strange and smarter than most.....and he's lucky both hemispheres click in tandem....
10-22-2016 12:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.