CSNbbs
2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread (/thread-952100.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - natibeast2.0 - 09-09-2022 02:47 PM

(09-09-2022 02:20 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:40 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:27 AM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:20 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:03 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The blind-faith Prater fandom is a fascinating look into the psychology of a Cincinnatian IMO. It really is nutty.

The only thing the man has done in a Red and Black jersey is throw 2 TDs against 3rd teamers, 1 pick (with two more straight between the numbers of defenders) for a TD, have a sub-50% completion percentage, and have one run where he was flipped upside by a defender into the endzone in mop-up duty.

If the kid was from anywhere but inside the 275 loop, there likely wouldn't be many, if any fans caring about him not starting...hell we saw the same kind of player in a pre-injury Munchie Leguax, who many, if not all, fans were calling for the axe in favor of Brendan Kay. Just my two cents.

Bryant will get the lion's share of any game-worthy opportunities until he gives the coaches a reason not to, and the game at Arkansas did not give any reason not to.

Cincinnati fans are bananas in general. I've learned to ignore nonsense whether it be collegiate or professional in this city.

Prater was a highly ranked recruit which contributes to this as well. Ben is probably going to be the guy all year and will put up huge numbers against AAC defenses.

Not all of us locals. I understand he gained his rating vs:
Indian Hill
Deer Park
Mariemont
Madeira
etc.

Had he played at Moeller, Elder, St. X, Colerain,etc. different story.

I said the same thing about Mr Kiner and got roasted on here for it.

I'm a big fan of both kids so no one take this that I'm against Prater. With that said...

Offer sheets matter when I look at kids coming.

Look at the difference between Kiner and Prater. You don't get Kiner type offers unless you prove it in camps against the big boys or show enough on your tape.

Prater Best Offers: Note any Kiner has below Prater doesn't have. Same cannot be said the other way around

Cincy
Louisville
Pitt
Mich St.
Oklahoma St.
Miami Fl
Georgia Tech
K-State
Duke
Purdue
Syracuse
Others

Kiner Best Offers:
Cincy
Ohio State
Notre Dame
LSU
Florida
Michigan
Penn St
Texas A&M
USC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Others

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Bruce Monnin - 09-09-2022 02:54 PM

Those are some darn good offers for both players.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - doss2 - 09-09-2022 03:01 PM

(09-09-2022 02:47 PM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:20 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  Cincinnati fans are bananas in general. I've learned to ignore nonsense whether it be collegiate or professional in this city.

Prater was a highly ranked recruit which contributes to this as well. Ben is probably going to be the guy all year and will put up huge numbers against AAC defenses.

Indian Hill
Deer Park
Mariemont
Madeira
etc.

I'm a big fan of both kids so no one take this that I'm against Prater. With that said...

Offer sheets matter when I look at kids coming.

Look at the difference between Kiner and Prater. You don't get Kiner type offers unless you prove it in camps against the big boys or show enough on your tape.

Prater Best Offers: Note any Kiner has below Prater doesn't have. Same cannot be said the other way around

Cincy
Louisville
Pitt
Mich St.
Oklahoma St.
Miami Fl
Georgia Tech
K-State
Duke
Purdue
Syracuse
Others

Kiner Best Offers:
Cincy
Ohio State
Notre Dame
LSU
Florida
Michigan
Penn St
Texas A&M
USC
Tennessee
South Carolina
Others

Kiner's list definitely more Blue Blood!

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - UCGrad1992 - 09-09-2022 03:08 PM

I believe the 1:03.24 mark is the play in question. It's 1st and goal from the ten. It was a run option call but an Arkansas defender nearly blows up the initial play and then Ben takes off. Use the pause button - there's two Arkansas defenders that were watching the play and got a jump to seal off his run. He still managed to pick up five yards on the play. They scored on the very next play. I would say Bryant can run enough to keep the defense honest and it will open up other things. Yes, maybe Prater does run it in from 10 yards out but a TD was still scored from Bryant leading the charge down the field. I'm done with any more comments because folks have their minds made up. We have an entire season yet to play. If Bryant gets injured we may very well see Prater behind center.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - cincy7718 - 09-09-2022 03:28 PM

(09-09-2022 08:20 AM)natibeast2.0 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 08:03 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  The blind-faith Prater fandom is a fascinating look into the psychology of a Cincinnatian IMO. It really is nutty.

The only thing the man has done in a Red and Black jersey is throw 2 TDs against 3rd teamers, 1 pick (with two more straight between the numbers of defenders) for a TD, have a sub-50% completion percentage, and have one run where he was flipped upside by a defender into the endzone in mop-up duty.

If the kid was from anywhere but inside the 275 loop, there likely wouldn't be many, if any fans caring about him not starting...hell we saw the same kind of player in a pre-injury Munchie Leguax, who many, if not all, fans were calling for the axe in favor of Brendan Kay. Just my two cents.

Bryant will get the lion's share of any game-worthy opportunities until he gives the coaches a reason not to, and the game at Arkansas did not give any reason not to.

Cincinnati fans are bananas in general. I've learned to ignore nonsense whether it be collegiate or professional in this city.

Indian Hill
Deer Park
Mariemont
Madeira
etc.

My memory of your comment was that he chose roger bacon because he didn’t want to compete against the higher competition. This got mocked because he had already played a year in the SEC and people joked he was scared to play Moeller/elder but not scared of Alabama/Georgia.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - cincy7718 - 09-09-2022 03:33 PM

(09-09-2022 03:08 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I believe the 1:03.24 mark is the play in question. It's 1st and goal from the ten. It was a run option call but an Arkansas defender nearly blows up the initial play and then Ben takes off. Use the pause button - there's two Arkansas defenders that were watching the play and got a jump to seal off his run. He still managed to pick up five yards on the play. They scored on the very next play. I would say Bryant can run enough to keep the defense honest and it will open up other things. Yes, maybe Prater does run it in from 10 yards out but a TD was still scored from Bryant leading the charge down the field. I'm done with any more comments because folks have their minds made up. We have an entire season yet to play. If Bryant gets injured we may very well see Prater behind center.

well that ended that debate lol. He made an athletic move with his feet and turned a loss into a gain. also an olympic sprinter would have had a hard time getting the edge on that run.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Bearhawkeye - 09-09-2022 04:10 PM

(09-09-2022 03:33 PM)cincy7718 Wrote:  
(09-09-2022 03:08 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I believe the 1:03.24 mark is the play in question. It's 1st and goal from the ten. It was a run option call but an Arkansas defender nearly blows up the initial play and then Ben takes off. Use the pause button - there's two Arkansas defenders that were watching the play and got a jump to seal off his run. He still managed to pick up five yards on the play. They scored on the very next play. I would say Bryant can run enough to keep the defense honest and it will open up other things. Yes, maybe Prater does run it in from 10 yards out but a TD was still scored from Bryant leading the charge down the field. I'm done with any more comments because folks have their minds made up. We have an entire season yet to play. If Bryant gets injured we may very well see Prater behind center.

well that ended that debate lol. He made an athletic move with his feet and turned a loss into a gain. also an olympic sprinter would have had a hard time getting the edge on that run.

I"m going to have to disagree with you on that one unless you are being sarcastic. He did a nice job to evade the pass rusher, but the cutback was a poor decision/execution. I mean even the announcer said "You can see why they don't ask him to do that." I think he would have been much better served by a run to a sideline ending with a dive and the ball secured but extended (and that's even taking into account his speed is nothing special at best.)

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Cal1362 - 09-09-2022 05:10 PM

(09-09-2022 06:53 AM)Cal1362 Wrote:  
(09-08-2022 07:37 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Anything les than a 28 point win will be a loss.

I disagree... if the Bearcats win comfortably and the 2s and 3s play the majority of the 2nd half... especially EP... then it's a great W, especially against a triple option team that will use a ton of clock when they have the ball. The 'Cats aren't playing for the CFP at this point (barring some really wild stuff), they are playing #1 for the AAC CG and #2 for the G5 spot in the NY6 bowl. The 'Cats need to work on depth experience, coverage for Renfro and as CLF said, playing clean.

Just to clarify... I am in no way, shape or form advocating for Prater "getting a shot". I'm not butt hurt or any of the other sarcastic or insulting comments being casually tossed around that BB got the job over EP. My point about EP... and the other 2s and 3s is very simple and very practical. Football is a sport with the potential for sudden injuries and QB1 is arguably the most consequential position related to injury. Keeping UCs hopes of a conf title and NY6 bowl game alive is priority 1 for this team...period. Hopefully BB is blessed with Des' durability but even Des got banged up a few times so there is no need to subject BB to unnecessary risk. Significantly different level, but ask our "friends" at MU about losing a QB1 especially early in the year in a no contest game.

I want Prater -- and other key 2s and 3s -- to play so that IF they have to play in a key situation or a meaningful game or two, it's not their first significant non-mop up game experience this year. It's one thing to go in during mop up time. It's different to play against another first team.

So to be clear, IF BB looks rusty or out of sync against KSU, leave him in there to work stuff out. But if 2nd half vs Ark BB shows up for the 1st half Saturday then why risk a freak injury in an obvious W? Same thing against MU. BB is not a Heisman candidate - probably not a high draft pick candidate like Des even so there's nothing to gain by him running up stats after a W is assured...especially if EP is not close in talent. Get BB out of the game and let EP evade the 2nd teams OL errors or take the hits - not the starter and key to the season.

End of rant... back to your normal sniping and name calling and holier than thou attitudes.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Dannyboy - 09-09-2022 06:07 PM

Bryant played 1/2 a game last week. It happens. Unfortunately if happened in our toughest game of the year. If he just hits 2 of the 3 wide open TDs he missed in the first half we win. He missed a couple more in the second half but at least he hit some. The coaches made him QB1 for a reason. They’ll reverse that decision if he keeps playing 1/2 a game. Hopefully he won’t.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - bcat1997 - 09-09-2022 09:02 PM

Exactly. ONE GAME. You're saying that he has limitations based on the performance of ONE GAME. Here's his stats line:

26/43 [61%] 325 YDS 2 TD 1 INT

That is just a shiitty, limited performance.

Let's see how he does going forward, but stats don't show the real picture here. He got his yards after the team was down two scores. Two turnovers and a bunch of missed throws that would have absolutely changed the outcome of the game.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatJerry - 09-10-2022 07:02 AM

You know, all this Prater talk is pretty funny. The Coaches have apparently seen everything they need to see: Evan Prater doesn't have "it." He just doesn't. It doesn't matter how many "stars" he had next to his name coming out of High School, it doesn't matter "how highly he was ranked." He doesn't have what it takes to play at this level.

I know with all expectations of playing a FCS at home and being able to "coast" in the second half, there are hopes of allowing some...down-roster...players to see game time. Let me say this clearly: I don't need to, I don't want to, see Evan Prater today. If we're going to let another QB run the show, then it needs to be Brady Lichtenberg. He's the future of the program, not Evan Prater.

The verdict is in on Prater. To be honest, it was in when the Coaching staff brought back Ben Bryant. Clearly they knew that Prater wasn't going to make it here. Move on already.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Bear Catlett - 09-10-2022 07:43 AM

Des Ridder had two offers...

UC, EKU.

Just sayin'.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - doss2 - 09-10-2022 10:31 AM

(09-10-2022 07:02 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  You know, all this Prater talk is pretty funny. The Coaches have apparently seen everything they need to see: Evan Prater doesn't have "it." He just doesn't. It doesn't matter how many "stars" he had next to his name coming out of High School, it doesn't matter "how highly he was ranked." He doesn't have what it takes to play at this level.

I know with all expectations of playing a FCS at home and being able to "coast" in the second half, there are hopes of allowing some...down-roster...players to see game time. Let me say this clearly: I don't need to, I don't want to, see Evan Prater today. If we're going to let another QB run the show, then it needs to be Brady Lichtenberg. He's the future of the program, not Evan Prater.

The verdict is in on Prater. To be honest, it was in when the Coaching staff brought back Ben Bryant. Clearly they knew that Prater wasn't going to make it here. Move on already.

He needs to be moving to a G5 low school or FCS.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - doss2 - 09-10-2022 10:41 AM

I wondered why last year Fick put EP in 5 games, thus making it not a RS year.

2020 Covid
2021 year #1

He has 3 year + one RS left.

Unless he graduates in 3 years, he will have to sit out 2023 if he moves on.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - Dannyboy - 09-10-2022 12:20 PM

(09-10-2022 07:02 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  You know, all this Prater talk is pretty funny. The Coaches have apparently seen everything they need to see: Evan Prater doesn't have "it." He just doesn't. It doesn't matter how many "stars" he had next to his name coming out of High School, it doesn't matter "how highly he was ranked." He doesn't have what it takes to play at this level.

Prater is one knee injury from being the starter. I’d like him to get reps. He’s QB2. QB2 is important.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - namrag - 09-10-2022 12:41 PM

That’s the one.

I feel that a moderately mobile QB could have had a good shot at the end zone. Clearly BB isn’t confident in running.
That makes it easier for defenses to plan against him.

I thought more about this last night while I was out on a long ride. And honestly my opinion has hardened.

Prater may not offer any advantage. We don’t know.
If he clearly doesn’t, and doesn’t show potential to grow and improve, then skip over him and give QB3 a look.

But, BUT, you would have to think Prater (or QB3) has more upside for improvement over BB.

BB is in his what, 4th year? Or is it 5th year?
He was a starter all of last year.

What we saw against ARK is what he is at this point.

There isn’t going to be dramatic improvement.

He is going to have more halves like that first half last week.

He is going to have more overthrows of wide open receivers.

That will be good enough against most of our schedule in the AAC.

But games like ARK, the what, maybe 4th or 5th best team in the SEC, are games that the program has to win if it wants to continue its upward trajectory.

And it was a game that UC should have won, and I feel would have won if we had better QB play.

I am not so much a “Prater” guy. I am more of a “do we have anyone who could potentially perform better than BB” guy.

And yes, if BB and Prater were “neck and neck” in camp, then it is reasonable to wonder if Prater could bring something that BB cannot when they are playing against another team and not just UC’s defense in camp.

If, as some have said, Prater clearly isn’t and never will be “the guy”, then my takeaway from that is that the coaching staff, and the sportswriters and podcasters who cover UC, all just blow smoke up our tailpipes when they build guys up.

Don’t tell me all spring and summer how great both QB’s are, how neck and neck it is, then as soon as BB is named the starter, switch the narrative to “prater is lightyears behind BB. Prater is dogsh!t and will never be good enough”.

But dude, honestly, I am not emotionally vested in Prater. I’m not “mad” at you.
I don’t feel like I am being snarky when i post my opinion about BB and our QB situation.
I enjoy the back and forth, but I don’t get upset about it.

Hopefully Gino can manage the offense to accentuate Ben’s strengths moving forward, and to hide his limitations.

Bottom line is I want UC to win.

If BB clearly gives us the best chance to win, then I am all in as a BB guy.

But also, if BB is the best QB we have by a wide margin, Fick and his staff better seriously step up their QB recruiting.

A BB QB talent won’t get it done in the B12.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatDave - 09-10-2022 02:33 PM

Glad to hear the pump it up song again

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatMan - 09-10-2022 02:42 PM

I guess speople forgot that Bryant had multiple 20+ yard TD runs when he was playing mop-up behind Ridder. Not that that matters at all, he's the QB either way.

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatDave - 09-10-2022 04:09 PM

Butch jones is coaching at arkansas state . Just heard it when i heard O$u score

RE: 2022 Bearcats Football Season Thread - BearcatJerry - 09-10-2022 05:11 PM

(09-10-2022 04:09 PM)BearcatDave Wrote:  Butch jones is coaching at arkansas state . Just heard it when i heard O$u score

????

Ummmm.... Yeah...

He got hired there back in 2020 after spending time in the Saban Center for Coaching Rehabilitation.