CSNbbs
2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? (/thread-946867.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Lush - 05-03-2022 12:05 PM

wes isn't very patient in the portal; maybe that's by design but his last class left a lot to be desired. he didn't have to fill out a quarter of his roster with greensborians. jb's teams on paper exceeded that group which is perhaps not the argument anyone is making. i woulda like to have seen wes make a push at that big bodied kenny lofton

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 05-03-2022 12:07 PM

(05-03-2022 12:05 PM)Lush Wrote:  wes isn't very patient in the portal; maybe that's by design but his last class left a lot to be desired. he didn't have to fill out a quarter of his roster with greensborians. jb's teams on paper exceeded that group which is perhaps not the argument anyone is making. i woulda like to have seen wes make a push at that big bodied kenny lofton

Wes and his staff were patient this year because the portal was slow. Last year it moved fast for everyone.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - cinbinsportsfan - 05-03-2022 12:16 PM

(05-03-2022 12:07 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(05-03-2022 12:05 PM)Lush Wrote:  wes isn't very patient in the portal; maybe that's by design but his last class left a lot to be desired. he didn't have to fill out a quarter of his roster with greensborians. jb's teams on paper exceeded that group which is perhaps not the argument anyone is making. i woulda like to have seen wes make a push at that big bodied kenny lofton

Wes and his staff were patient this year because the portal was slow. Last year it moved fast for everyone.

In addition to this, Wes was hired at UC in mid-April of last year, one month after the portal starting filling up and after roughly 1,000 players were already in the portal building relationships with existing coaching staffs around the county. The objective last season was merely to plug holes where he could with what players he could find and bridge a gap between the old players and the new. This season with a much better head start and his feet under him is more about truly upgrading the roster across the board.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Cataclysmo - 05-03-2022 02:54 PM

(05-03-2022 12:16 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

In addition to this, Wes was hired at UC in mid-April of last year, one month after the portal starting filling up and after roughly 1,000 players were already in the portal building relationships with existing coaching staffs around the county. The objective last season was merely to plug holes where he could with what players he could find and bridge a gap between the old players and the new. This season with a much better head start and his feet under him is more about truly upgrading the roster across the board.

Yeah, it's remarkable to me how quickly people forget that. The angst over the portal was so dramatic this offseason.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - bearcatmark - 05-03-2022 03:01 PM

Also his portal work wasn't so bad last offseason given the circumstances. Newman was our best player when healthy by several metrics. The two bigs he brought in made us one of the best 2 point defenses in the country. Ody and Hensley have shown flashes of talent. He didn't find any big time difference makers (particularly on offense), but he undoubted found quality guys to fill roles for a very depleted roster.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - cinbinsportsfan - 05-03-2022 05:05 PM

(05-03-2022 03:01 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

Also his portal work wasn't so bad last offseason given the circumstances. Newman was our best player when healthy by several metrics. The two bigs he brought in made us one of the best 2 point defenses in the country. Ody and Hensley have shown flashes of talent. He didn't find any big time difference makers (particularly on offense), but he undoubted found quality guys to fill roles for a very depleted roster.

For sure, Wes had a mountain of tasks waiting for him when he took the job and very little time to do it all. In the case of the bigs, he knew UC was horrific on defense around the rim and immediately added two of the best shot blockers in college basketball. Granted, that was just 1 of, again, a zillion fixes he needed to make but given the circumstances of last season, he should get praise for what changes he did make to improve the program.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Lush - 05-07-2022 12:30 PM

well whatever. any takers on hensley becoming baywatch v2.0?

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Don't tase me bro - 05-08-2022 07:31 PM

I'd like to see them get better as the season goes on rather than regress. This past season they fell apart, and from what I could tell nothing really seemed to change to try and right the ship. This coming season should be an NCAA tournament team. Anything less is a fail

Hardaway in Memphis takes a lot of heat, but at least his teams play better at the end of the year than the start. Problem is he usually has too many early wtf losses to get into the tournament.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - the_dude - 05-09-2022 09:22 AM

(05-07-2022 12:30 PM)Lush Wrote:  well whatever. any takers on hensley becoming baywatch v2.0?

You mean Ice-Ice-Brannen?

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - OKIcat - 05-09-2022 10:06 AM

(05-08-2022 07:31 PM)Dont tase me bro Wrote:  I'd like to see them get better as the season goes on rather than regress. This past season they fell apart, and from what I could tell nothing really seemed to change to try and right the ship. This coming season should be an NCAA tournament team. Anything less is a fail

Hardaway in Memphis takes a lot of heat, but at least his teams play better at the end of the year than the start. Problem is he usually has too many early wtf losses to get into the tournament.

Bolded, true, Memphis shows improvement late, but in four seasons he's had one NCAA appearance bowing out in the opening weekend of March Madness. He's had some of the highest rated recruiting classes in the nation. I would argue he's failed there as a coach and the Tigers may now be facing NCAA violations too.

Would UC fans be satisfied with those results? Injuries and a lack of a true scorer hampered Wes and his patchwork team in year one. I think we all expect progress this season and in terms of personnel, there is much reason for optimism in '22 and '23.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - robertfoshizzle - 05-09-2022 05:04 PM

(04-30-2022 05:40 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Bubble team would be a substantial improvement. What has Coach Wes really done to merit all the positivity on the boards? This first full recruiting year is underwhelming. The recruits/transfers all appear (except maybe Skillings) to be role players; we haven’t been seriously in the running for NBA talent, or anything close to it. I realize that he needs the AD’s support to build a competitive NIL infrastructure, and he may not be getting it, but if the recruiting doesn’t take a step forward next year, I envision a short tenure in Clifton.

I know I'm picking on a post that's a week-and-a-half old, but, geez -- that's a very pessimistic take. The recruits and transfers all appear to be role players? Nolley averaged 16 points per game as a freshman in the ACC. I'd say he's quite a bit more than just a role player. Only reason his numbers dropped at Memphis was due to having to share the ball with a bunch of one-and-done hopefuls. And I know this post was the day before Rayvon committed, but I thought everyone around here knew it was pretty much a done deal. On April 30th, I was feeling very confident -- inertia with Rayvon almost certainly committing, landing Nolley, being seriously in the mix for Isaiah Collier, Tyler McKinley, Trey Green, etc. I feel even better now that Griffith is 100% committed, and other recruits are obviously taking notice.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 05-09-2022 05:10 PM

(05-09-2022 05:04 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(04-30-2022 05:40 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Bubble team would be a substantial improvement. What has Coach Wes really done to merit all the positivity on the boards? This first full recruiting year is underwhelming. The recruits/transfers all appear (except maybe Skillings) to be role players; we haven’t been seriously in the running for NBA talent, or anything close to it. I realize that he needs the AD’s support to build a competitive NIL infrastructure, and he may not be getting it, but if the recruiting doesn’t take a step forward next year, I envision a short tenure in Clifton.

I know I'm picking on a post that's a week-and-a-half old, but, geez -- that's a very pessimistic take. The recruits and transfers all appear to be role players? Nolley averaged 16 points per game as a freshman in the ACC. I'd say he's quite a bit more than just a role player. Only reason his numbers dropped at Memphis was due to having to share the ball with a bunch of one-and-done hopefuls. And I know this post was the day before Rayvon committed, but I thought everyone around here knew it was pretty much a done deal. On April 30th, I was feeling very confident -- inertia with Rayvon almost certainly committing, landing Nolley, being seriously in the mix for Isaiah Collier, Tyler McKinley, Trey Green, etc. I feel even better now that Griffith is 100% committed, and other recruits are obviously taking notice.

Recruiting is not the concern for this staff. They will get guys here. The biggest question will they be able blend everyone together to win at a high level.

The expectation next season should be NCAA tournament. Maybe it’s on higher end of where this group could be but this roster should be good enough. Honestly they underachieved last year in the last month of the season. That was on the coaching staff and players. Next season needs a level of consistency that wasn’t there last winter.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - skylinecat - 05-10-2022 10:15 AM

(05-09-2022 05:10 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(05-09-2022 05:04 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  

Recruiting is not the concern for this staff. They will get guys here. The biggest question will they be able blend everyone together to win at a high level.

The expectation next season should be NCAA tournament. Maybe it’s on higher end of where this group could be but this roster should be good enough. Honestly they underachieved last year in the last month of the season. That was on the coaching staff and players. Next season needs a level of consistency that wasn’t there last winter.

They were doing well until they played like 10 games in February. They were just gassed and got shafted by the covid rescheduling. A team with very little depth and margin for error just couldn't keep up.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - bearcatmark - 05-10-2022 10:40 AM

Two things can be true.
1. They were disappointing down the stretch after being pretty solid for 2/3 of the season.
2. We probably shouldn't read too much into it.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Lush - 05-10-2022 09:42 PM

(05-09-2022 09:22 AM)the_dude Wrote:  
(05-07-2022 12:30 PM)Lush Wrote:  well whatever. any takers on hensley becoming baywatch v2.0?

You mean Ice-Ice-Brannen?

who called him that?

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Lush - 07-07-2022 09:33 PM

lahkin- 10, 7, 2
davenport- 9, 4, 1
landers- 13, 6, 3
jules- 12, 5, 3
phinisee- 5, 4, 5

newman- 5, 3, 2
mika- 6, 3, 3
ody- 4, 5
kalu- 4, 3, 1
skillz- 2, 1, 1
reed- 3, 3, 1
hensley- 5, 4, 1
sage- ?

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - OKIcat - 07-08-2022 10:32 AM

Wes Miller had an impressive recruiting cycle with the transfers and high school seniors and an early pledge from the best player in the city for the next class. Expectations for '22/'23 will be higher but I believe he'll build a winner, perhaps beyond any preseason forecasts. If so, get your tickets now for '23/'24 when the nation's best come calling @ 5th/3rd from the Big 12.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Lush - 07-10-2022 09:50 PM

it'd be nice to see lahkin and hensely separate themselves in the frontcourt

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - Ring of Black - 07-15-2022 07:49 AM

(07-10-2022 09:50 PM)Lush Wrote:  it'd be nice to see lahkin and hensely separate themselves in the frontcourt

Reports from Chad Brendel point towards a vastly improved Hensley. He broke a bone in his hand at the end of last season, and has been practicing shooting one-handed. It's made a world of difference.

Here's a great podcast from Brendel and Justin Berg, on open gym action.

RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success? - skyblade - 07-15-2022 08:57 AM

(07-15-2022 07:49 AM)Ring of Black Wrote:  
(07-10-2022 09:50 PM)Lush Wrote:  it'd be nice to see lahkin and hensely separate themselves in the frontcourt

Reports from Chad Brendel point towards a vastly improved Hensley. He broke a bone in his hand at the end of last season, and has been practicing shooting one-handed. It's made a world of difference.

Here's a great podcast from Brendel and Justin Berg, on open gym action.

I know these guys like to be optimistic about players. It's a bit strange to me when they talk about how good guys look, then project best case scenario as sneaking into the NCAA tournament. If Nolley really is a potential NBA guy, Ezikpe is a high quality starter on both ends and Phinisee is a solid backup PG, then with returning guys NCAA tournament should look likely, something doesn't add up.

It's also interesting to me that the undefeated team (MAW, DDJ, Nolley, Davenport and Ezikpe) isn't any longer or more athletic than most of last years lineups (in terms of athleticism Nolley is a wash or slight upgrade compared to Newman, Ezikpe a downgrade to any of last years centers).

They had Wes on not long ago as well. Wes seems to think developing Vik is going to be key for next season. To me it sounded like starting C is Vik's job to lose. Given that Wes emphasizes rim protection and defense from big men, it's hard to think he wants to play Ezikpe a lot of minutes.

If there's one takeaway I've gotten it's don't assume Phinisee is going to start, Chad has been pretty adamant that MAW looks improved offensively and has been the the better player throughout the spring.

Other than that, take notes when they say negative things, they prefer to be positive, so if they note a negative it probably stood out. Kalu isn't a rim protector, Nolley's shot wasn't falling. Especially given that those fall in line with what the stats say (Nolley is a streaky, but not good shooter off the dribble, Kalu isn't very athletic).

It's fun to listen to all the reports, but until we actually see them on the court in games that matter (teams play defense), it doesn't mean a lot to me.