Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success?
Bookmark and Share
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success?
I do not expect NCAA Tourney.

NIT also a stretch.

04-29-2022 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: 2022-3 MBB roster is set; what will constitute success?
NCAA tournament is the expectation. Beat Xavier, compete for the conference title. Roster should be good enough. They have 8 seniors.

04-29-2022 02:53 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Anything worse than bubble NCAA tournament and at least NIT would be a disappointment. I'm not convinced Phinisee or Ezikpe made us much if any better, but Nolley should. Add in improvement from returning players (especially Vik, Ody and Hensley) and hopefully Reed/Skillings making some contributions and we should be better than last year.

We still lack a lot though, no real great player - DDJ's good, but not quite good enough - limited penetrating and 3 point shooting ability on offense.

04-29-2022 03:20 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

We were 3 last minute collapses away from being a bubble team this year...I think we should be squarely on the bubble next yeat.

04-29-2022 03:30 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe this team will have what we've lacked for the last three or four years... chemistry.

You don't necessarily need better players if your players play better.

04-29-2022 07:59 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-29-2022 02:53 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  NCAA tournament is the expectation. Beat Xavier, compete for the conference title. Roster should be good enough. They have 8 seniors.

i feel a lot of success depends on how Lahkin, hensley, oguama improve. We can't have a successful season if they all play like last season. Soft around the basket.

04-29-2022 10:06 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Not being hard to watch most games will make me happy.

Baby steps.

04-29-2022 11:14 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Beating X at home, ending the season at least on the bubble. Both will constitute success for me.

04-30-2022 05:38 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
We had 18 wins this year...

Twenty. Twenty wins is what I want. Don't care where they get them. Don't care what it means for the post-season. Twenty wins.

04-30-2022 08:05 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
I want top 3 in the American and around top 50 kenpom.

04-30-2022 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(04-30-2022 08:06 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I want top 3 in the American and around top 50 kenpom.

I like the way you're thinking on that! As stated here too, 18 wins last season wasn't what anyone wanted but the program could have fallen completely into the abyss. Instead they were in the hunt for the postseason until the final few weeks. Will this season's team be five wins better? I think so. Will the AAC be worse? Probably, given the situation in Memphis at least.

04-30-2022 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Bubble team would be a substantial improvement. What has Coach Wes really done to merit all the positivity on the boards? This first full recruiting year is underwhelming. The recruits/transfers all appear (except maybe Skillings) to be role players; we haven’t been seriously in the running for NBA talent, or anything close to it. I realize that he needs the AD’s support to build a competitive NIL infrastructure, and he may not be getting it, but if the recruiting doesn’t take a step forward next year, I envision a short tenure in Clifton.

04-30-2022 05:40 PM
skyblade Offline
1st String

(04-30-2022 05:40 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Bubble team would be a substantial improvement. What has Coach Wes really done to merit all the positivity on the boards? This first full recruiting year is underwhelming. The recruits/transfers all appear (except maybe Skillings) to be role players; we haven’t been seriously in the running for NBA talent, or anything close to it. I realize that he needs the AD’s support to build a competitive NIL infrastructure, and he may not be getting it, but if the recruiting doesn’t take a step forward next year, I envision a short tenure in Clifton.

I'm not the most positive person on here, but the incoming freshman class is the best (rankings wise) in the last 5 years. Reed and Skillings are both top 150 guys who have broken the top 100 at times. Tolentino isn't that far behind (though he is a project). It's hard to do better than that, especially considering he was a first year coach here when he got them.

As for transfers, there I agree. Nolley is a high-quality college player, but not an NBA potential guy. Ezikpe I want to stay on the bench (which would mean Vik, Ody and Hensley have developed), Phinisee I suspect will lose his appeal as a shiny new player once fans realize really he can't shoot. PG's who play great defense, don't turn the ball over but can't shoot don't have a history of being popular around here (MAW and Justin Jenifer before his senior season are just two examples).

Bubble team isn't that optimistic though. There's a lot of potential in guys like Vik, Ody, Hensley, Skillings and Reed. I'm hopeful that Wes can get it out of them this year. If we don't at least make the NIT I'll be suspecting Miller may have a short tenure, but hoping for him to turn it around in year 3. Another coaching change in the next few years wouldn't be good for us.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022 06:16 PM by skyblade.)
04-30-2022 06:15 PM
bearcatmark Online

(04-30-2022 05:40 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Bubble team would be a substantial improvement. What has Coach Wes really done to merit all the positivity on the boards? This first full recruiting year is underwhelming. The recruits/transfers all appear (except maybe Skillings) to be role players; we haven’t been seriously in the running for NBA talent, or anything close to it. I realize that he needs the AD’s support to build a competitive NIL infrastructure, and he may not be getting it, but if the recruiting doesn’t take a step forward next year, I envision a short tenure in Clifton.

This team was top 75 for 2/3 of the season. The Newman injury flipped that and teams eventually capitalized on our roster limitations. His first recruiting class is our best since Jarron's at least. And that was as a first year coach at this level. We have fairly well regarded transfer group in addition to that...Nolley is a huge signing.

This team wasn't THAT far away. We had a number of guys that could play at this level, just not enough dudes. Nolley really helps with that. A few other guys he brought in have the talent to step up. I'm guessing a couple do.

As for NBA type guys...hopefully that's just around the corner.

04-30-2022 07:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skyblade Offline
1st String

(04-30-2022 07:08 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

This team was top 75 for 2/3 of the season. The Newman injury flipped that and teams eventually capitalized on our roster limitations. His first recruiting class is our best since Jarron's at least. And that was as a first year coach at this level. We have fairly well regarded transfer group in addition to that...Nolley is a huge signing.

This team wasn't THAT far away. We had a number of guys that could play at this level, just not enough dudes. Nolley really helps with that. A few other guys he brought in have the talent to step up. I'm guessing a couple do.

I see 3/4 guys on next years team who have the physical skills to play in the NBA. Skillings, Hensley and Vik, maybe Reed (or even Tolentino I suppose) but I'm waiting until I see him play at the college level. If Wes can develop their basketball skills they've got NBA potential.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022 07:26 PM by skyblade.)
04-30-2022 07:25 PM
the_dude Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-29-2022 01:45 PM)doss2 Wrote:  I do not expect NCAA Tourney.

NIT also a stretch.

Aren't we awaiting three transfer decisions?
One of which is committing today, likely to UC? How is the roster set already?

05-01-2022 07:15 AM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

If you have The Athletic, Wes does a great Q&A with Brian Hamilton today.

https://theathletic.com/3289622/2022/05/...ed_article

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2022 08:08 AM by bearcatmark.)
05-03-2022 08:08 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user

wes miller's first class is the best since jarron's? if john brannen would have coddled his players some more, his second class had some potential. and to think jb didn't have this portal which wes seems hell bent on hurtling through

05-03-2022 11:01 AM
UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(05-03-2022 11:01 AM)Lush Wrote:  

wes miller's first class is the best since jarron's? if john brannen would have coddled his players some more, his second class had some potential. and to think jb didn't have this portal which wes seems hell bent on hurtling through

I know what Wes wants. Long athletic wings and that can play multiple positions.

Mick wanted an alpha or two to go with tough defensive minded team oriented guys.

I never had any idea what Brannen wanted because his limited recruiting was all over the place. He wanted to play fast but recruited Vogt, Rap, and Davenport. He wanted spacers on offense but the Madson twins really didn’t fit with the rest of what he wanted to do and neither has proven to be a good college shooter.

I think with Wes we know what he wants to do with recruiting and how he wants to play. The key is getting results on the court. I expect a big step up in play next season.

05-03-2022 11:17 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2022 11:17 AM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(05-03-2022 11:01 AM)Lush Wrote:  

I know what Wes wants. Long athletic wings and that can play multiple positions.

Mick wanted an alpha or two to go with tough defensive minded team oriented guys.

I never had any idea what Brannen wanted because his limited recruiting was all over the place. He wanted to play fast but recruited Vogt, Rap, and Davenport. He wanted spacers on offense but the Madson twins really didn’t fit with the rest of what he wanted to do and neither has proven to be a good college shooter.

I think with Wes we know what he wants to do with recruiting and how he wants to play. The key is getting results on the court. I expect a big step up in play next season.

Great post. Bolded #1, I agree. What Brannen said he wanted his teams to do and the players he recruited to do it certainly didn't match. Maybe the Peter Principle kicked in?

Bolded #2, I think we will see a progression with Wes next season with some talent upgrades and more experience for his first year guys. Some here have taken exception to his experience being at UNCG but he had years there to develop his skills in recruiting, player development, and game strategy and Hall of Famer Roy Williams holds him in high esteem. That's enough to keep me excited for season two.

05-03-2022 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.