CSNbbs
New Realignment Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: New Realignment Thread (/thread-925473.html)

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 07-19-2022 06:17 PM

(07-19-2022 06:00 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(07-18-2022 10:37 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-18-2022 04:42 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Go the extra mile.

Great ideas. Unfortunately the extra mile is a concept not well understood by those who have run Rice athletics (and in too many ways, Rice itself) for the past 60 years. And I don't see anyone capable of bringing about the needed paradigm shift(s).

I agree this is asking too much of these people...our football teams often can't even go 10 yards at a time, let alone 100 to get to the End Zone. It would seem asking them to go an extra Mile is just too much. They seem to think it's better just to punt a lot...

Maybe the new president comes in and really gets behind athletics, even if just vocally. Perhaps that's all we've been missing all of this time is a great leader with a vision for athletics.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 07-19-2022 07:10 PM

(07-19-2022 06:17 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

Great ideas. Unfortunately the extra mile is a concept not well understood by those who have run Rice athletics (and in too many ways, Rice itself) for the past 60 years. And I don't see anyone capable of bringing about the needed paradigm shift(s).

I agree this is asking too much of these people...our football teams often can't even go 10 yards at a time, let alone 100 to get to the End Zone. It would seem asking them to go an extra Mile is just too much. They seem to think it's better just to punt a lot...

Maybe the new president comes in and really gets behind athletics, even if just vocally. Perhaps that's all we've been missing all of this time is a great leader with a vision for athletics.

I'm going to give Reggie some time.

1) Its not as if he was appointed with a 'mandate' for athletics. He has other priorities, and it wouldn't help us if he came in and tried to make athletics his primary focus. It is a large department that is involved in a significant portion of our ethnic diversity so it cannot be ignored, but it is not our University mission. I have no issued with him getting his hands around academics first.
2) if he were to make significant moves today, it would seem that he came in with an agenda for athletics, but one that he didn't disclose to anyone... and that would not be a good look for any of us.

I believe he will take them seriously, but they are not THE most important thing we do, even if they are among the more neglected (historically, despite some recent focus)

RE: New Realignment Thread - waltgreenberg - 07-19-2022 07:18 PM

(07-19-2022 07:10 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 06:17 PM)Ourland Wrote:  

I'm going to give Reggie some time.

1) Its not as if he was appointed with a 'mandate' for athletics. He has other priorities, and it wouldn't help us if he came in and tried to make athletics his primary focus. It is a large department that is involved in a significant portion of our ethnic diversity so it cannot be ignored, but it is not our University mission. I have no issued with him getting his hands around academics first.
2) if he were to make significant moves today, it would seem that he came in with an agenda for athletics, but one that he didn't disclose to anyone... and that would not be a good look for any of us.

I believe he will take them seriously, but they are not THE most important thing we do, even if they are among the more neglected (historically, despite some recent focus)

Just an FYI (though I do agree with everything you said)-- there is no need for Reggie "to get his hands around academics" (i.e., come up the learning curve) as this was his sole responsibility the past 2 years as Provost. All the deans reported to him.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Houston Owl 2 - 07-19-2022 07:23 PM

The other significant occurrence is the retirement of university officers who were obstacles to the athletic department. Maybe the retirements are a coincidence but it is more likely that the new officers in the new administration will take a significantly different approach

RE: New Realignment Thread - Tomball Owl - 07-19-2022 07:34 PM

(07-19-2022 04:29 PM)Houston Owl 2 Wrote:  Just to clarify:

1. Football stadium renovation (Phase 1) is underway to be completed before season. Phase 2 may be addressed following the season.
2. Reckling Park turf installation to be completed before the end of the summer.
3. Soccer team locker room (Phase 1) is underway to be completed before the season. Phase 2 to follow shortly (probably after season) as fundraising is almost complete (i.e. within $10K of goal as I understand it).
4. Track and Soccer Stadium renovation and pavilion to be commenced following soccer season and completed before the end of the calendar year. (Permit approval caused initial delays). Complete resurfacing of track, jumping pits, runways and throwing areas) Location and size of "pavilion" still to be determined.
5. Woman's basketball locker room renovation to be commenced and completed shortly (i.e. before season).
6. Tennis stadium renovation should be underway before the end of the calendar year based on existing major gift (and pending permit approval). A large amount of funds are available but it is still being determined what the next step will be with respect to improvements.
7. Volleyball locker room renovation (Phase 1) completed but additional renovation work to be commenced following the end of the season.
8. Operational budgets are being addressed with additional funding for travel and recruiting to be in place by the end of the calendar year.
9. Travel budgets being currently addressed with plan to announce project by the start of the academic year.
10. Issue of "slots" for non-revenue sports being addressed with immediate revisions for non-revenue sports with some revisions implemented for the current academic year.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the President's recent meeting with the head coaches and the announced commitment to review and increase budgets.

It's not like nothing is being done to improve the situation.

Still too many “may be addressed”, “to be commenced” and “plan to announce” type statements in the above list. Rice needs more “just do it” if they are serious about stepping up. See Texas Tech and the Matador Club.

RE: New Realignment Thread - waltgreenberg - 07-19-2022 07:35 PM

(07-19-2022 07:23 PM)Houston Owl 2 Wrote:  The other significant occurrence is the retirement of university officers who were obstacles to the athletic department. Maybe the retirements are a coincidence but it is more likely that the new officers in the new administration will take a significantly different approach

Only one who was truly an obstable-- the Treasurer and VP of Finance

RE: New Realignment Thread - OptimisticOwl - 07-19-2022 07:37 PM

(07-19-2022 07:35 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 07:23 PM)Houston Owl 2 Wrote:  The other significant occurrence is the retirement of university officers who were obstacles to the athletic department. Maybe the retirements are a coincidence but it is more likely that the new officers in the new administration will take a significantly different approach

Only one who was truly an obstable-- the Treasurer and VP of Finance

Adios

RE: New Realignment Thread - texowl2 - 07-20-2022 08:34 AM

(07-19-2022 07:34 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

1. Football stadium renovation (Phase 1) is underway to be completed before season. Phase 2 may be addressed following the season.
2. Reckling Park turf installation to be completed before the end of the summer.
3. Soccer team locker room (Phase 1) is underway to be completed before the season. Phase 2 to follow shortly (probably after season) as fundraising is almost complete (i.e. within $10K of goal as I understand it).
4. Track and Soccer Stadium renovation and pavilion to be commenced following soccer season and completed before the end of the calendar year. (Permit approval caused initial delays). Complete resurfacing of track, jumping pits, runways and throwing areas) Location and size of "pavilion" still to be determined.
5. Woman's basketball locker room renovation to be commenced and completed shortly (i.e. before season).
6. Tennis stadium renovation should be underway before the end of the calendar year based on existing major gift (and pending permit approval). A large amount of funds are available but it is still being determined what the next step will be with respect to improvements.
7. Volleyball locker room renovation (Phase 1) completed but additional renovation work to be commenced following the end of the season.
8. Operational budgets are being addressed with additional funding for travel and recruiting to be in place by the end of the calendar year.
9. Travel budgets being currently addressed with plan to announce project by the start of the academic year.
10. Issue of "slots" for non-revenue sports being addressed with immediate revisions for non-revenue sports with some revisions implemented for the current academic year.

I'm sure everyone is aware of the President's recent meeting with the head coaches and the announced commitment to review and increase budgets.

Still too many “may be addressed”, “to be commenced” and “plan to announce” type statements in the above list. Rice needs more “just do it” if they are serious about stepping up. See Texas Tech and the Matador Club.

All good to hear. What I don't get is how items 5&6 needed to be addressed. Both of these are pretty new?

RE: New Realignment Thread - Houston Owl 2 - 07-20-2022 09:40 AM

I think Lindsay E. really feels like the WBB locker room needs some work. She feels it needs to be a selling point to recruits and I don't think we're there yet.

As to the tennis center, it is my understanding that an additional $1,000,000 is available for additions/improvements. This is a relatively recent gift and the coaches and administration are trying to determine what the best approach will be...the funds are definitely designated for improvement of the tennis center and are definitely available for immediate use.

RE: New Realignment Thread - waltgreenberg - 07-20-2022 10:18 AM

(07-20-2022 09:40 AM)Houston Owl 2 Wrote:  I think Lindsay E. really feels like the WBB locker room needs some work. She feels it needs to be a selling point to recruits and I don't think we're there yet.

As to the tennis center, it is my understanding that an additional $1,000,000 is available for additions/improvements. This is a relatively recent gift and the coaches and administration are trying to determine what the best approach will be...the funds are definitely designated for improvement of the tennis center and are definitely available for immediate use.

No, we're not there yet, but it is my understanding that the funds for locker room upgrades have been secured. Have no idea when the work will commence.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Grungy - 07-20-2022 10:51 AM

The renovations look really good.
When will we have a Phase 2 reveal?

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 07-20-2022 11:30 AM

(07-19-2022 07:18 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Just an FYI (though I do agree with everything you said)-- there is no need for Reggie "to get his hands around academics" (i.e., come up the learning curve) as this was his sole responsibility the past 2 years as Provost. All the deans reported to him.

I should have been more clear.

What I mean (and still don't have a good way to say it) is that his first priority should be to create HIS academic vision, which includes almost everything before athletics. I didn't mean that he needed to understand academics at Rice, but more that he needed to get others to understand what HIS vision was, as opposed to his vision under another President.

I feel confident that he wasn't 100% aligned with Leebron on everything EXCEPT athletics. Not saying they were lightyears apart... just not identical.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Texasowl - 07-20-2022 12:40 PM

Sounds fantastic. Finally something being done.
Love to see two courts covered and additional seating for those courts. It would make Rice one of the top tennis facities in American Athletic conf.
(07-20-2022 08:34 AM)texowl2 Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 07:34 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

All good to hear. What I don't get is how items 5&6 needed to be addressed. Both of these are pretty new?

RE: New Realignment Thread - waltgreenberg - 07-20-2022 03:41 PM

(07-20-2022 11:30 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(07-19-2022 07:18 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Just an FYI (though I do agree with everything you said)-- there is no need for Reggie "to get his hands around academics" (i.e., come up the learning curve) as this was his sole responsibility the past 2 years as Provost. All the deans reported to him.

What I mean (and still don't have a good way to say it) is that his first priority should be to create HIS academic vision, which includes almost everything before athletics. I didn't mean that he needed to understand academics at Rice, but more that he needed to get others to understand what HIS vision was, as opposed to his vision under another President.

I feel confident that he wasn't 100% aligned with Leebron on everything EXCEPT athletics. Not saying they were lightyears apart... just not identical.

I'm not sure what makes you say this. I think they're pretty much aligned. 100%? Of course not, but pretty close. Let's not forget that Reggie was a key contributor the Leebron's final vision paper.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 07-20-2022 04:09 PM

(07-20-2022 03:41 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-20-2022 11:30 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

I'm not sure what makes you say this. I think they're pretty much aligned. 100%? Of course not, but pretty close. Let's not forget that Reggie was a key contributor the Leebron's final vision paper.

Respectfully, i think you're trying to read something into my comment that isn't there. Almost no 2 people are 100% aligned on anything... especially something as significant as 'A University'.

IN NO WAY am I attempting to impugn anyone. I am merely noting that his biggest job is Academics... so I am not in some massive hurry to see MAJOR changes to athletics... as an example, I think some would like to see him make changes in Athletics Administration... but even if that IS part of his plan (and I have no idea and no real reason to suspect it would be)... I would not expect it to happen in the first few days, weeks or even months of his tenure.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 07-20-2022 05:49 PM

I'll be so damn mad if Karlgaard hires our next football coach. I have no faith in his ability to find the right person.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 07-20-2022 05:59 PM

(07-20-2022 05:49 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I'll be so damn mad if Karlgaard hires our next football coach. I have no faith in his ability to find the right person.

Unfortunately I agree. He certainly has skills, but this doesn't seem to be one of them. While some of his hires have been okay to good, many of them have not... and IMO a few of his better hires were 'Rice' hires as much if not more JK hires.... speaking specifically of Men's basketball and baseball. Baseball is obvious... basketball, he was already here (hired by the last HC) and we elevated him.

RE: New Realignment Thread - westsidewolf1989 - 07-20-2022 06:32 PM

(07-20-2022 05:59 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(07-20-2022 05:49 PM)Ourland Wrote:  I'll be so damn mad if Karlgaard hires our next football coach. I have no faith in his ability to find the right person.

Unfortunately I agree. He certainly has skills, but this doesn't seem to be one of them. While some of his hires have been okay to good, many of them have not... and IMO a few of his better hires were 'Rice' hires as much if not more JK hires.... speaking specifically of Men's basketball and baseball. Baseball is obvious... basketball, he was already here (hired by the last HC) and we elevated him.

I'm no JK fan, but Tina Langley was an out of the park hire. Brian Lee is looking excellent so far.

After that, it's a drop to Pera and then a much further drop to Bragga and Bloomgren.

RE: New Realignment Thread - waltgreenberg - 07-20-2022 07:28 PM

(07-20-2022 06:32 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  
(07-20-2022 05:59 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  

I'm no JK fan, but Tina Langley was an out of the park hire. Brian Lee is looking excellent so far.

After that, it's a drop to Pera and then a much further drop to Bragga and Bloomgren.

Edmonds is looking like another homerun hire, as well. Based on what she did last year with such a depleted roster, she can obviously coach, and she's already flexing her recruiting muscle (much moreso than Tina, who relied heavily on transfers-- Diamarco, Erica and Mulkey).

RE: New Realignment Thread - Almadenmike - 07-20-2022 09:58 PM

As a new revenue source for those non-revenue sports?

[Image: da70dcd2-plaza-061422-1-slots.jpg]

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana