CSNbbs
New Realignment Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: New Realignment Thread (/thread-925473.html)

RE: New Realignment Thread - bigowlsfan - 10-23-2021 09:05 AM

(10-23-2021 08:32 AM)RiceBull Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 06:52 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 11:19 PM)Grungy Wrote:  What did we do with that huge MOB?
Hofheinz saved our UH show by stealing the script in the 'Dome (the rest of the show was "meh").
The UT show worked, in Austin.
The A&M "Secret Owl Band" show worked, at home.
The rest were fairly forgettable, except for the Arkansas game, where we were booed off the field, at home, in what I'll call "The Blue Pig Show".

Was there for all of them. That UT show remains one of my favorites, and I think one of the most underrated MOB shows ever. The start pissed the crowd off properly, and the way the boos turned to cheers as the show progressed was quite remarkable to see.

I think you disband the mob and replace it with a community marching band. Even if the mob was at full strength, satire is not appropriated in today’s woke world. A community band could get rice some publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the true tradition of Rice and swimming against the tide, I would double down on satire and have the band work hard to offend everyone we could, with clever humor.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Intellectual_Brutality - 10-23-2021 10:19 AM

(10-23-2021 09:05 AM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  
Hofheinz saved our UH show by stealing the script in the 'Dome (the rest of the show was "meh").
The rest were fairly forgettable, except for the Arkansas game, where we were booed off the field, at home, in what I'll call "The Blue Pig Show".

Was there for all of them. That UT show remains one of my favorites, and I think one of the most underrated MOB shows ever. The start pissed the crowd off properly, and the way the boos turned to cheers as the show progressed was quite remarkable to see.

I think you disband the mob and replace it with a community marching band. Even if the mob was at full strength, satire is not appropriated in today’s woke world. A community band could get rice some publicity.

In the true tradition of Rice and swimming against the tide, I would double down on satire and have the band work hard to offend everyone we could, with clever humor.
This would be cool. But only if they get more members and lose the fedoras

RE: New Realignment Thread - Frizzy Owl - 10-23-2021 10:51 AM

(10-23-2021 10:19 AM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  

This would be cool. But only if they get more members and lose the fedoras

Never going to happen. For any given joke, someone on campus will be outraged and too traumatized by the offense to be able to concentrate on studies or be in the same classroom as a MOB member.

I don’t think the fedoras make a difference. Why not fedoras?

RE: New Realignment Thread - Pan95 - 10-23-2021 11:44 AM

We could hire Dave Chapelle as a writer...I heard that his gig at Netflix may not work out.

RE: New Realignment Thread - WRCisforgotten79 - 10-23-2021 12:50 PM

(10-23-2021 10:51 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  I don’t think the fedoras make a difference. Why not fedoras?

Well, one Fedora did not work out at Baylor.

RE: New Realignment Thread - westsidewolf1989 - 10-23-2021 04:29 PM

(10-23-2021 12:50 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 10:51 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  I don’t think the fedoras make a difference. Why not fedoras?

Baylor has an issue with Artistic folk

RE: New Realignment Thread - Converted Rice - 10-25-2021 10:35 AM

(10-23-2021 04:29 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 12:50 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  

Baylor has an issue with Artistic folk

Actually the problem was the he was not artistic enough to move the ball down the field and score.

RE: New Realignment Thread - GoodOwl - 10-25-2021 11:35 AM

(10-22-2021 06:43 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  Thanks GoodOwl; I didn't even look at NAIA. I don't think it's a big leap to assume that our admin wouldn't want to associate with a so many low-ranking schools, especially ones with strong religious ties.

Also, back to the topic of C-USA's instability: https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1451668085572788231

McMurphy reporting that Southern Miss. has been officially admitted to the Sun Belt. They apparently weren't willing to suffer ODU's posturing about staying in C-USA, so they applied and the SBC quickly voted on it. It's basically a lock now for ODU, Marshall, and JMU to apply to the SBC next week with USM officially on the way out of C-USA. Liberty is also declining to join C-USA, so the five left have no lifeline from ODU and one less viable team interested.

I'll agree I hope they wouldn't. Just posted it for completeness' sake. Never had looked at it before myself, so was curious who was in it.

I also agree, watching the struggles of the C-USA left-behinds this round is sobering. Watching the conference disintegrate recalls the much-worse destruction of the once-venerable SWC. Grateful we got pulled up out of there at the last minute, but not saying we are safe by any means.

We have an opportunity, but what new motivation is there for the admin to take it and actually do something with it by investing like they might have years(decades?) before to avoid things getting this dire? I mean internal motivation-what has changed their hearts on this if it has at all? Or will we simply wait and watch as future dominoes fall and we are again left behind through inaction and lack of university's own institutional investment in athletics as an effective national marketing vehicle for its academic programs and alumni?

By the way, we seem to like playing in Alabama. What is it about that state and Rice football? Perhaps we should seek to recruit more players from there in the future, as a byproduct of our success playing games in that state.

RE: New Realignment Thread - WRCisforgotten79 - 10-25-2021 11:54 AM

(10-25-2021 11:35 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  By the way, we seem to like playing in Alabama. What is it about that state and Rice football? Perhaps we should seek to recruit more players from there in the future, as a byproduct of our success playing games in that state.

Rice is 2-4 against UAB in Birmingham, and 4-6 overall.

Rice is 3-0 against Alabama, but all 3 were in Texas (2 at Rice, 1 at the Cotton Bowl).

Rice is 2-0 against Auburn, with both games at Rice.

Rice is 0-1 against Troy (New Orleans Bowl).

RE: New Realignment Thread - Fort Bend Owl - 10-25-2021 12:32 PM

The UTSA at UTEP game on November 6th has just been moved to the evening and ESPN2.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Barney - 10-25-2021 12:58 PM

I agree. I was there for all of those aforementioned shows as well, and loved them. But the older I get the more I realize you have to let it go. You can't reproduce the magical days gone past. The MOB was cool then because it was different and fresh. I really honor those kids' support, but it's become a REAL embarrassment.
Yes, lose the fedoras, absolutely. (go with dew rags, gimme caps, or anything different)
Blow it all up and do something TOTALLY different, and fresh again.

....saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac,
little voice inside my head said "never look back, you can never look back"

RE: New Realignment Thread - texowl2 - 10-25-2021 01:45 PM

(10-25-2021 12:58 PM)Barney Wrote:  

I agree. I was there for all of those aforementioned shows as well, and loved them. But the older I get the more I realize you have to let it go. You can't reproduce the magical days gone past. The MOB was cool then because it was different and fresh. I really honor those kids' support, but it's become a REAL embarrassment.
Yes, lose the fedoras, absolutely. (go with dew rags, gimme caps, or anything different)
Blow it all up and do something TOTALLY different, and fresh again.

....saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac,
little voice inside my head said "never look back, you can never look back"

Sadly, I think this is true. The MOB had gotten considerably awful several years ago, but did improve a decent bit after what was, IMHO, it's absolute worst. But it just seems to be lost. The reality is that Rice is never going to have anything near to a traditional band which is why in 1970, they moved to a scatter band. Those bands only really work for larger universities (I think some band members get scholarship money to participate) or music schools or to be brutally honest those less academically rigorous. Not sure what the solution is, but the world (and Rice) is just a different place, much like what has happened to student attendance. As awful as Rice BSKB was in the 70's with Bob Polk as coach, how many games in the last 15-20 years, some of which had competitive teams, have eclipsed the worse attended games in that era? Same for football in the horrific 80's.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-25-2021 02:32 PM

(10-25-2021 12:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The UTSA at UTEP game on November 6th has just been moved to the evening and ESPN2.

I'm excited. I hope UTEP beats FAU this weekend.

RE: New Realignment Thread - OptimisticOwl - 10-25-2021 02:37 PM

(10-25-2021 02:32 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 12:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The UTSA at UTEP game on November 6th has just been moved to the evening and ESPN2.

I'm excited. I hope UTEP beats FAU this weekend.

GO, Texas teams!

(except UT, TxA$M, TCU, TT, U-Hou, SMU, Baylor)

(not necessarily in that order)

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-25-2021 03:18 PM

https://kvia.com/sports/2021/10/22/athletic-chief-says-utep-will-still-play-in-an-fbs-conference-despite-c-usa-exodus/?fbclid=IwAR27mAzJWRPtQT9hFCvWcH3hASTD0n0L56s69-3-IeBjNp_yLK4KlBc3DK0

UTEP's AD is committed to staying in FBS and in a conference. Didn't elaborate on whether that would be C-USA or somewhere else, but you've got to imagine that the only other option they could have is the WAC since the Sun Belt and MWC already passed on them.

Also, I don't think anybody in this thread has mentioned it, but that article covers the rumor that C-USA is in talks with New Mexico State, Sam Houston State, and, of all schools, Tarleton State. Tarleton just moved up from D-II to the WAC this year. As far as I can tell, Tarleton's biggest advantage is that they're within reasonable driving distance of the conference's HQ, and that's no advantage at all. I'm wondering if that's really all there is to it or if they're being used as a pawn to get SFA or Lamar to talk. Seems to be that C-USA has decided that UTEP's fate is more important than FIU, WKU, and MTSU since they're trying to add schools to the west. I guess they're concerned that UTEP's and LaTech's option to join the WAC is the only option any of the remaining 5 credibly have.

E: Forgot to mention that there are two hold-ups for the Marshall-JMU-ODU to SBC package deal. First, Marshall is worried about what to do with their national champion men's soccer team since the Sun Belt doesn't sponsor that sport. Right now, Marshall and ODU play in C-USA with 7 other teams, but 3 members, Charlotte, UAB, and FAU, are leaving to the AAC which also sponsors soccer. The 9 total teams is definitely coming down to 6, below the NCAA minimum, so the 3 associate members, Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, and South Carolina, may also leave and go AAC (geography) or MAC (better quality). Lots of moving parts on that one. In the end, it'll probably be just FIU left, and they'll join the AAC as an associate, similar to what happened when rowing moved from C-USA to the XII a few years ago. That took one or two extra years to figure out; I seem to remember at least one year where the only C-USA varsity rowing team was ODU. The other hold-up is that JMU is constrained by a Virginia law that restricts the percentage of athletics expenses funded by student fees and requires them to get a state commission to approve the move to FBS.

E2: Fixed some details on the men's soccer realignment.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Intellectual_Brutality - 10-25-2021 03:37 PM

God, can you imagine if we were in UTEP's shoes right now, pondering whether our conference mates would be :: checks notes :: Tarleton State, and that wouldn't even be the worst case scenario?

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-25-2021 03:56 PM

(10-25-2021 03:37 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  God, can you imagine if we were in UTEP's shoes right now, pondering whether our conference mates would be :: checks notes :: Tarleton State, and that wouldn't even be the worst case scenario?

We're not far away from that rock bottom. We need some kind of memento mori in JK's office to keep that top of mind.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Intellectual_Brutality - 10-25-2021 04:39 PM

(10-25-2021 03:56 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 03:37 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  God, can you imagine if we were in UTEP's shoes right now, pondering whether our conference mates would be :: checks notes :: Tarleton State, and that wouldn't even be the worst case scenario?

We're not far away from that rock bottom. We need some kind of memento mori in JK's office to keep that top of mind.

Assuming he keeps his office. I suspect he'll get hired away pretty soon

RE: New Realignment Thread - Seventyniner - 10-26-2021 06:03 PM

Apologies if I missed this among the discussion, but I saw on the ESPN ticker that Southern Miss has agreed to join the Sun Belt, and they intend to invite ODU as well.

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-26-2021 07:04 PM

(10-26-2021 06:03 PM)Seventyniner Wrote:  Apologies if I missed this among the discussion, but I saw on the ESPN ticker that Southern Miss has agreed to join the Sun Belt, and they intend to invite ODU as well.

Marshall from C-USA and James Madison from the Colonial Athletic Association to round out adding four. ODU probably goes official this week. Marshall could be this week or next week; they're waiting on their finalizing who their new president will be and want that person to assent, at least informally, for some reason. JMU probably late next week due to some administrative t's to cross with the move up from FCS.