CSNbbs
New Realignment Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: New Realignment Thread (/thread-925473.html)

RE: New Realignment Thread - GoodOwl - 10-22-2021 04:12 PM

(10-22-2021 01:23 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 12:52 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 12:34 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  What are the exit fees from leaving CUSA, or will they matter?

I suppose COLA would be one way to look at it-but I don't think the other existing institutions receive the same "COLA raise" so we will draw closer to parity as time marches till 2031.

As for the exit fees-I think it's $3MM/school but I'd suppose that could be subject to revision if C-USA ceases to exist.

Those exit fees are looking more tenuous now: https://twitter.com/GabeMcDonald_/status/1451573270856208392

Southern Miss, Marshall, and ODU likely bound for the Sun Belt. Announcement expected next week. FCS James Madison (Colonial Athletic Association) will be the fourth addition to even the divisions.

Five left in the conference: WKU, MTSU, LaTech, UTEP, and FIU. If I'm FIU, I'd be on the phone with every football AD and president in the Atlantic Sun every day from last Sunday through however long it takes to get them to join C-USA. They're the only school that has no other conceivable options for continuing in a football conference.

I suppose there are remaining credits due to CUSA members from tournament, etc... If the conference dissolves, do those go away, or do they get distributed to the last remaining members or something else?

As we are "gone", though still here, I'd guess we'd be ineligible for remaining conference credits, but as I can't see they'd be much, I figure we'd do better to avoid the fees altogether, does that sound correct?

I think we can see, with the schools leftover in CUSA at the moment, how dire the circumstances become for those in that position. I'm hoping that perhaps this, finally, is a wake-up call for the admin to do more, a LOT more out of its own resources to support athletics at a level competetive to where we were historically back in the day, and begin to work our way out of the mess e put ourselves into. I remain highly skeptical, and will respond in another thread where it was quoted to the letter from JK that adds to that skepticism by defending our recent past actions.

Imagine being left behind with the others in what's left of CUSA...what would Rice's response then be? Would we go along with trying to maintain CUSA by backfilling even more FCS, or would we be more likely to use it as the excuse to drop down to FCS, Div III or altogether? (McKinsey's conclusions about FCS not being viable might not hold the same truth since so much has changed since that now long-ago study of our options) Now, it's certainly disappointing some fo the directions college athletics has taken but the alternative is just as/more depressing for an institution with our storied (and more distant) history and longevity. The willful near-abdication of positive marketing possibilities by being a more normal participant at the highest levels commeasurate with our long history is certainly disappointing to have lived through these many decades.

More change is certain to come, will we be more proactive for a change or continue to seek to parasite off others for the forseeable future without contributiong more meaningful competition and participation?

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 04:31 PM

(10-22-2021 03:22 PM)Houston Owl 2 Wrote:  What options does UTEP have? What are the good options for La. Tech?

If UTEP and LaTech are desperate for a conference, they would both likely be welcomed into the WAC. NMSU still has their non-football there. The football members are all FCS now, but they have a stated goal of moving up to FBS over the next decade. UTEP is right in the middle of the WAC footprint and next door to NMSU. LaTech would be the easternmost member but not far flung; Nacogdoches isn't that far from Ruston.

Just like all the talk about MTSU and WKU to MAC, though, this is purely my own speculation about where they could go. I don't have any inside info or a citation from someone who claims to. This WAC theory does make more sense to me than the MAC theory, though, because the WAC has motivation to grow its number of football teams. Right now, they have 6 representatives in the WAC-ASUN competition with Southern Utah to join next year and UTRGV forming a team by 2024. Adding UTEP and NMSU gets to 10; LaTech as a #11 could be made to work like how the AAC has been 11 since UConn left, but then you start brushing up against the total size of the WAC (there's four other non-football schools, like Grand Canyon and Cal Baptist).

I could also see LaTech staying with FIU, MTSU, and WKU in a C-USA that invites the football members of the ASUN, but that's a whole other process. That'd make 10 in C-USA (all football), 13 total in the WAC with UTEP (9 football), and five non-football left behind in the ASUN that could be added to C-USA, but I think they want to do their own thing away from football.

RE: New Realignment Thread - OptimisticOwl - 10-22-2021 04:33 PM

I am in favor of LaTech to the SEC.

RE: New Realignment Thread - GoodOwl - 10-22-2021 04:58 PM

(10-22-2021 04:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I am in favor of LaTech to the SEC.

I think their spot is reserved for Oral Roberts U--it seems all the SEC is lacking these days is a religious school.

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 05:03 PM

(10-22-2021 04:12 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 01:23 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 12:52 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 12:34 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  What are the exit fees from leaving CUSA, or will they matter?

I suppose COLA would be one way to look at it-but I don't think the other existing institutions receive the same "COLA raise" so we will draw closer to parity as time marches till 2031.

As for the exit fees-I think it's $3MM/school but I'd suppose that could be subject to revision if C-USA ceases to exist.

Those exit fees are looking more tenuous now: https://twitter.com/GabeMcDonald_/status/1451573270856208392

Southern Miss, Marshall, and ODU likely bound for the Sun Belt. Announcement expected next week. FCS James Madison (Colonial Athletic Association) will be the fourth addition to even the divisions.

Five left in the conference: WKU, MTSU, LaTech, UTEP, and FIU. If I'm FIU, I'd be on the phone with every football AD and president in the Atlantic Sun every day from last Sunday through however long it takes to get them to join C-USA. They're the only school that has no other conceivable options for continuing in a football conference.

I suppose there are remaining credits due to CUSA members from tournament, etc... If the conference dissolves, do those go away, or do they get distributed to the last remaining members or something else?

As we are "gone", though still here, I'd guess we'd be ineligible for remaining conference credits, but as I can't see they'd be much, I figure we'd do better to avoid the fees altogether, does that sound correct?

I think we can see, with the schools leftover in CUSA at the moment, how dire the circumstances become for those in that position. I'm hoping that perhaps this, finally, is a wake-up call for the admin to do more, a LOT more out of its own resources to support athletics at a level competetive to where we were historically back in the day, and begin to work our way out of the mess e put ourselves into. I remain highly skeptical, and will respond in another thread where it was quoted to the letter from JK that adds to that skepticism by defending our recent past actions.

Imagine being left behind with the others in what's left of CUSA...what would Rice's response then be? Would we go along with trying to maintain CUSA by backfilling even more FCS, or would we be more likely to use it as the excuse to drop down to FCS, Div III or altogether? (McKinsey's conclusions about FCS not being viable might not hold the same truth since so much has changed since that now long-ago study of our options) Now, it's certainly disappointing some fo the directions college athletics has taken but the alternative is just as/more depressing for an institution with our storied (and more distant) history and longevity. The willful near-abdication of positive marketing possibilities by being a more normal participant at the highest levels commeasurate with our long history is certainly disappointing to have lived through these many decades.

More change is certain to come, will we be more proactive for a change or continue to seek to parasite off others for the forseeable future without contributiong more meaningful competition and participation?

I don't know all (or any of) the intricacies of the conference's charter, grant of rights, or any of the contracts that determine how or if the money gets earned or distributed. I can two things about the rest of the comment:
  • We shouldn't have to be looking at C-USA today to see the effect of getting left behind in the worst FBS conference. You don't have to be an old timer to remember the desperation that NMSU and Idaho felt as the castaways left behind in the WAC last time or that the Sun Belt felt when they desperately reached for those two football teams and a bunch of FCS schools in a last ditch effort to remain solvent. We were lucky that our past association with current AAC schools gave C-USA access to some spare cash that we could throw at a few Sun Belt schools to easily keep our conference together last time. If it takes any additional creativity to imagine being the counter-party to our own transaction, then we didn't negotiate well.
  • If anything, I think FCS is even less sustainable today than it was when the McKinsey report was written. There are no local FCS conferences that are stable for the foreseeable future except the WAC which intends to move up to FBS.

I'd invite anyone interested to take a look at Wikipedia's list of NCAA conferences to see what all our choices are. Here's my take on our prospects of dropping football or moving down today:

FCS
  • WAC: Not an option; moving up to FBS.
  • Southland: Would we be happy with Incarnate Word, A&M-Commerce, and A&M-CC? That's the top of that conference.
  • SWAC: Aren't many of the schools bordering on insolvency?
D-1 non-football: None, the non-football conferences present in Texas or Louisiana just cover Olympic sports. We'd have to be independent or associate in everything we currently sponsor except indoor track and swimming.
D-II: The Lone Star Conference. Do we want to bother with a conference where the premier members are third and fourth tier UT and A&M campuses? I guess St Mary's in San Antonio is alright.
D-III: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference: At least they're all private schools. Trinity and Southwestern would be good, I suppose. Maybe Colorado College, too. Nobody does research, though.

RE: New Realignment Thread - GoodOwl - 10-22-2021 05:42 PM

One more for you, for completeness' sake:

Quote:The Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) is a small college athletics conference affiliated with the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Originally developed as a five-team conference of Oklahoma-based schools, the SAC now boasts 12 schools in a league that spans four states – Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.

As of August 2021, SAC member institutions have collected 109 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) team championships – the most among NAIA conferences – since the league formed in 1978.

Throughout the league's history, the SAC continues to be known as the conference "Where Champions Play". Various institutions have competed under the SAC banner over the years. Today only the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma remains from the original group that was formed when Bethany Nazarene (now Southern Nazarene), Oklahoma Baptist, Oklahoma Christian and Phillips University withdrew from the Texoma Conference to form the SAC.

Membership has changed over the years with today's current members being admitted as follows:
Oklahoma City (1986),
Wayland Baptist (1994),
John Brown (1995),
Mid-America Christian (2007),
Southwestern Assemblies of God (2013),
Texas Wesleyan (2013),
Southwestern Christian (2013),
Bacone (2014),
Central Christian (2017),
Oklahoma Panhandle State (2017) and
North Texas–Dallas (2020).

The league also includes associate members on a per-sport basis, with University of Houston-Victoria, University of the Southwest and University of St. Thomas being part of the SAC in women's golf since 2017. Lyon College has been an associate member for Women's Wrestling since 2019.

The SAC crowns league champions in 18 intercollegiate sports – nine for women and nine for men. Women's sports are basketball, softball, golf, tennis, cross country, soccer, volleyball, indoor track & field, outdoor track & field, and wrestling. Men compete in football, basketball, baseball, golf, tennis, cross country, indoor track & field, outdoor track & field, soccer, and wrestling. The newest conference sport is women's wrestling, added for the 2019-20 season.

The conference is known for a rich basketball tradition. Member schools have won the men's NAIA tournament 12 times and women's NAIA tournament 16 times. SAC member schools also boast 14 NAIA national titles in men's golf, 12 in softball, 12 in women's indoor track and field, 10 in women's golf, 10 in men's cross country, 6 in men's tennis, 5 in women's outdoor track and field, 4 in men's outdoor track and field, 4 in men's indoor track and field, 2 in baseball, 1 in competitive cheer and 1 in men's soccer for a total of 109.

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 06:43 PM

Thanks GoodOwl; I didn't even look at NAIA. I don't think it's a big leap to assume that our admin wouldn't want to associate with a so many low-ranking schools, especially ones with strong religious ties.

Also, back to the topic of C-USA's instability: https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1451668085572788231

McMurphy reporting that Southern Miss. has been officially admitted to the Sun Belt. They apparently weren't willing to suffer ODU's posturing about staying in C-USA, so they applied and the SBC quickly voted on it. It's basically a lock now for ODU, Marshall, and JMU to apply to the SBC next week with USM officially on the way out of C-USA. Liberty is also declining to join C-USA, so the five left have no lifeline from ODU and one less viable team interested.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Intellectual_Brutality - 10-22-2021 07:04 PM

It's absolutely surreal that we're among the haves here, watching the desperate situation of the have nots

RE: New Realignment Thread - Frizzy Owl - 10-22-2021 07:59 PM

CBS Sports reports C-USA has talked to McNeese St. and Sam Houston St.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Tomball Owl - 10-22-2021 08:02 PM

(10-22-2021 05:03 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  D-III: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference: At least they're all private schools. Trinity and Southwestern would be good, I suppose. Maybe Colorado College, too. Nobody does research, though.

At least if Rice joined the SCAC the Owls would have a chance to avenge their largest ever loss - in 1912, Austin College Roos 81 - Rice Owls 0.

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 08:51 PM

(10-22-2021 07:59 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  CBS Sports reports C-USA has talked to McNeese St. and Sam Houston St.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1451685076769587202

Pete Thamel names Sam Houston State, Tarleton State, and New Mexico State. I figured it'd be cheaper to consolidate within the main footprint than to reach west, especially with the apparent intent of anchoring UTEP.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Frizzy Owl - 10-22-2021 08:59 PM

(10-22-2021 08:51 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 07:59 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  CBS Sports reports C-USA has talked to McNeese St. and Sam Houston St.

Pete Thamel names Sam Houston State, Tarleton State, and New Mexico State. I figured it'd be cheaper to consolidate within the main footprint than to reach west, especially with the apparent intent of anchoring UTEP.

Maybe the WAC will swap SHS for UTEP?

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 09:03 PM

(10-22-2021 08:59 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

C-USA is in such dire straits that they need to net gain at least 3 teams to remain solvent. I don't see where it would make sense to lose UTEP in a transaction that adds NMSU. All of the downsides of UTEP with less of the upsides of El Paso and the university system.

E: Also, I want to draw attention to the huge degree of schadenfreude the University of Louisiana system must feel watching LaTech go from haughtily refusing to play them or entertain sharing a conference again a few years ago to having to stoop down to ask McNeese if they want to join C-USA.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Frizzy Owl - 10-22-2021 09:11 PM

(10-22-2021 09:03 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  

C-USA is in such dire straits that they need to net gain at least 3 teams to remain solvent. I don't see where it would make sense to lose UTEP in a transaction that adds NMSU. All of the downsides of UTEP with less of the upsides of El Paso and the university system.

E: Also, I want to draw attention to the huge degree of schadenfreude the University of Louisiana system must feel watching LaTech go from haughtily refusing to play them or entertain sharing a conference again a few years ago to having to stoop down to ask McNeese if they want to join C-USA.

I shouldn’t have used the word “swap”. Would UTEP go to the WAC if invited after C-USA adds SHS et. al.?

RE: New Realignment Thread - franklyconfused - 10-22-2021 09:19 PM

(10-22-2021 09:11 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 09:03 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  

I shouldn’t have used the word “swap”. Would UTEP go to the WAC if invited after C-USA adds SHS et. al.?

I doubt it, especially if NMSU is in C-USA. The travel then wouldn't be that much better or worse for UTEP, so it may not be worth the hassle of securing the the C-USA exit fees schools like us are paying, back filling the WAC with football teams (they'd be down to seven), and doing all the legwork of making the entire WAC come up to FBS after losing their most-dedicated programs to C-USA.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-22-2021 10:19 PM

(10-22-2021 07:04 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  It's absolutely surreal that we're among the haves here, watching the desperate situation of the have nots

Rice had better thank its lucky stars for landing this Hail Mary, and resolve to get beter in a hurry.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Grungy - 10-22-2021 11:19 PM

(10-22-2021 09:34 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  When I was a Student, the band was always announced as “the largest per-capita band in the southwest”.

Maybe they can recapture that coveted title.

The largest MOB of all time was in 1975.
There were 305 members at the beginning of the fall semester.
(As with everything else at Rice, as the season progresses, students realize just how hard classes are and drop out of things to survive.)
That was roughly 1 out of every 8 undergrads.

UT had 30,000+ enrolled.
If they had a band of the same proportions, it would have been roughly 50% larger than the entire Rice student body.

What did we do with that huge MOB?
Hofheinz saved our UH show by stealing the script in the 'Dome (the rest of the show was "meh").
The UT show worked, in Austin.
The A&M "Secret Owl Band" show worked, at home.
The rest were fairly forgettable, except for the Arkansas game, where we were booed off the field, at home, in what I'll call "The Blue Pig Show".

RE: New Realignment Thread - tanqtonic - 10-23-2021 12:38 AM

(10-22-2021 10:19 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 07:04 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  It's absolutely surreal that we're among the haves here, watching the desperate situation of the have nots

Rice had better thank its lucky stars for landing this Hail Mary, and resolve to get beter in a hurry.

I think I now know how Harry Whittington felt on February 12, 2006.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-23-2021 06:52 AM

(10-22-2021 11:19 PM)Grungy Wrote:  What did we do with that huge MOB?
Hofheinz saved our UH show by stealing the script in the 'Dome (the rest of the show was "meh").
The rest were fairly forgettable, except for the Arkansas game, where we were booed off the field, at home, in what I'll call "The Blue Pig Show".

Was there for all of them. That UT show remains one of my favorites, and I think one of the most underrated MOB shows ever. The start pissed the crowd off properly, and the way the boos turned to cheers as the show progressed was quite remarkable to see.

New Realignment Thread - RiceBull - 10-23-2021 08:32 AM

(10-23-2021 06:52 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 11:19 PM)Grungy Wrote:  What did we do with that huge MOB?

Was there for all of them. That UT show remains one of my favorites, and I think one of the most underrated MOB shows ever. The start pissed the crowd off properly, and the way the boos turned to cheers as the show progressed was quite remarkable to see.

I think you disband the mob and replace it with a community marching band. Even if the mob was at full strength, satire is not appropriated in today’s woke world. A community band could get rice some publicity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk