CSNbbs
New Realignment Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: New Realignment Thread (/thread-925473.html)

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-07-2021 10:36 AM

(10-07-2021 10:00 AM)Tmac13 Wrote:  Help educate the ignorant here..

As I read various rumors and articles about conference realignment/expansion, the schools in question seem to be lacking 1 of 4 things.

1. An on campus stadium suitable for decent sized FBS crowds.

2. A market/recruiting area that helps with media rights and overall conference recruiting.

3. Money..How will the school fund the athletic budget requirements for a better conference.

4. Academics..Does the candidate school raise or lower the collective institutional profile of the conference.

Rice is literally the only school mentioned in expansion rumors that knocks all 4 of these questions out of the ballpark. You guys have the market, the stadium(though it could be spruced up), the money, and academics that ANY conference would want..

My question.. Is it the administration of the University that's hesitant to commit to athletics, or is the Alumni base just too small to generate the interest?

Rice hasn't shown the commitment to having nationally visible football and basketball programs, while the fanbase is too small, and too reserved to force a change.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Buho00 - 10-07-2021 10:58 AM

How an established conference would really prefer North Texas or UTSA over Rice is hard to figure out. They have possibly more money committed to athletics and definitely more fans but we have to be in contention if they are. Neither is in the market Rice is in. They've never been associated with big time athletics (at least Rice has a long football history, in a major conference for many years, a baseball program with a national championship and some big names). Not great academic schools (though not sure if that's seen as a plus or a hinderance to big time football these days). I doubt they have facilities much better than Rice's. We won the conference in football in 2013, when did they win it? But if either conference expands to Texas, we should be the top choice from CUSA unless we screw it up by refusing to make no brainer commitments.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-07-2021 11:29 AM

(10-07-2021 10:58 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  How an established conference would really prefer North Texas or UTSA over Rice is hard to figure out. They have possibly more money committed to athletics and definitely more fans but we have to be in contention if they are. Neither is in the market Rice is in. They've never been associated with big time athletics (at least Rice has a long football history, in a major conference for many years, a baseball program with a national championship and some big names). Not great academic schools (though not sure if that's seen as a plus or a hinderance to big time football these days). I doubt they have facilities much better than Rice's. We won the conference in football in 2013, when did they win it? But if either conference expands to Texas, we should be the top choice from CUSA unless we screw it up by refusing to make no brainer commitments.

I think you're right. North Texas and UTSA have been spending tens of millions on infrastructure, and have passed Rice in the athletics facilities arms race. Rice has spent a lot of money too, but has neglected Rice Stadium. All things being equal, I would hope that Rice is just as desirable, and even more desirable than the other two given it's established history in athletics, its academics, and location within the largest city in Texas. The only thing that works against Rice is it's reluctance to fully commit to athletics. If all Rice needs to do is increase its athletics budget by a few million a year, it better do it, or it deserves its fate at the bottom of FBS.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 10-07-2021 11:39 AM

Guys... It's all about the TV contract.

If Rice brings 10,000 eyeballs and UTSA brings 40,000... UTSA wins in a landslide. It's not even close.

Two ways to bring more eyeballs...
1) have a large alumni base that cares about watching your team or
2) have a product that people including and especially beyond your alumni base care about

We can't do 1
We CAN potentially do 2

One way is to simply beat everyone. Everyone loves a winner. Beating CUSA isn't enough. You have to beat everyone you play... with regularity.

The other is to appeal to a different fan. Someone who cares more about a school like Rice fighting the good fight or about REAL student athletes than they do about simply winning. This is why I talk about marketing separate from CUSA. We have to have a completely different message from everyone else and have it in a different forum from everyone else.

This is the only way we can potentially get 40,000 much less 100,000 eyeballs

RE: New Realignment Thread - Tomball Owl - 10-07-2021 11:54 AM

(10-07-2021 11:29 AM)Ourland Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 10:58 AM)Buho00 Wrote:  How an established conference would really prefer North Texas or UTSA over Rice is hard to figure out. They have possibly more money committed to athletics and definitely more fans but we have to be in contention if they are. Neither is in the market Rice is in. They've never been associated with big time athletics (at least Rice has a long football history, in a major conference for many years, a baseball program with a national championship and some big names). Not great academic schools (though not sure if that's seen as a plus or a hinderance to big time football these days). I doubt they have facilities much better than Rice's. We won the conference in football in 2013, when did they win it? But if either conference expands to Texas, we should be the top choice from CUSA unless we screw it up by refusing to make no brainer commitments.

I think you're right. North Texas and UTSA have been spending tens of millions on infrastructure, and have passed Rice in the athletics facilities arms race. Rice has spent a lot of money too, but has neglected Rice Stadium. All things being equal, I would hope that Rice is just as desirable, and even more desirable than the other two given it's established history in athletics, its academics, and location within the largest city in Texas. The only thing that works against Rice is it's reluctance to fully commit to athletics. If all Rice needs to do is increase its athletics budget by a few million a year, it better do it, or it deserves its fate at the bottom of FBS.

Exactly how has UTSA passed Rice in athletics facilities race?

UTSA plays football in the Alamodome (way off campus), we've all seen High School baseball facilities better than UTSA's Roadrunner Field and the Convocation Center (basketball/volleyball) seats less than 2700 people.

RE: New Realignment Thread - MerseyOwl - 10-07-2021 11:57 AM

(10-07-2021 10:36 AM)Ourland Wrote:  

As I read various rumors and articles about conference realignment/expansion, the schools in question seem to be lacking 1 of 4 things.

2. A market/recruiting area that helps with media rights and overall conference recruiting.

3. Money..How will the school fund the athletic budget requirements for a better conference.

4. Academics..Does the candidate school raise or lower the collective institutional profile of the conference.

Rice is literally the only school mentioned in expansion rumors that knocks all 4 of these questions out of the ballpark. You guys have the market, the stadium(though it could be spruced up), the money, and academics that ANY conference would want..

My question.. Is it the administration of the University that's hesitant to commit to athletics, or is the Alumni base just too small to generate the interest?

Rice hasn't shown the commitment to having nationally visible football and basketball programs, while the fanbase is too small, and too reserved to force a change.

What attempt has there been to grow the fanbase?

At one time there was talk of promoting Rice athletics in University Place & West U as the 'home' team. That went nowhere fast?

Why not offer free and/or discounted tickets to the students and graduate students from the Texas Medical Centre. I wouldn't distribute tickets, but require student IDs. Doesn't the University already allow 'free admission' to law enforcement, first responders, and active members of the armed forces? If not, why not?

I'd charge a nominal fee, say $2, and then in return provide a game ticket and voucher worth $2. They wouldn't have to be the best seats, but they shouldn't be the worst. Actual bums on seats would increase and we might get a few fans as well. If you think this is nuts, I can remember when Taco Bell handed out free general admission tickets.

(Way back when I knew an Oklahoma grad who lived near the Rice campus who said he often took his son to the second half of Rice games once the gates were open and unattended.)

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 10-07-2021 12:01 PM

I arrived late at the USM game (but still the 1st quarter). The gates were ALMOST unattended. I had to wait for the ticket person, and nobody would have stopped me if I hadn't.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-07-2021 12:16 PM

(10-07-2021 11:54 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

UTSA plays football in the Alamodome (way off campus), we've all seen High School baseball facilities better than UTSA's Roadrunner Field and the Convocation Center (basketball/volleyball) seats less than 2700 people.

Check out the UTSA Athletics Master Plan.

RE: New Realignment Thread - UTSAMarineVet09 - 10-07-2021 12:20 PM

We might play in the Alamodome, but that doesnt mean that we dont get the same support that Rice does.

And our baseball and softball facilities are already being planned for the next phase of our master plan. UTSA is currently looking at concepts and is already in the works.

The convocation center actually holds 4k people, not the prettiest, I do agree.

Our master plan calls for a new basketball arena in Phase 2 (pg 32). They are finishing phase 1 as we speak.

https://www.utsa.edu/masterplan/documents/3_main-campus-park-west.pdf

We also just opened our new state of the art RACE facility.
https://goutsa.com/news/2021/8/4/athletics-utsa-opens-state-of-the-art-facility-to-promote-success-of-student-athletes.aspx

Athletics master plan.
https://www.utsa.edu/masterplan/documents/Appendix-A_AthleticsMasterPlan.pdf

UTSA is making commitments to athletics, I cant say the same thing for Rice.

Edit to add that I thought this was in the Realignment board. My apologies.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-07-2021 12:20 PM

(10-07-2021 11:57 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 10:36 AM)Ourland Wrote:  

What attempt has there been to grow the fanbase?

At one time there was talk of promoting Rice athletics in University Place & West U as the 'home' team. That went nowhere fast?

Why not offer free and/or discounted tickets to the students and graduate students from the Texas Medical Centre. I wouldn't distribute tickets, but require student IDs. Doesn't the University already allow 'free admission' to law enforcement, first responders, and active members of the armed forces? If not, why not?

I'd charge a nominal fee, say $2, and then in return provide a game ticket and voucher worth $2. They wouldn't have to be the best seats, but they shouldn't be the worst. Actual bums on seats would increase and we might get a few fans as well. If you think this is nuts, I can remember when Taco Bell handed out free general admission tickets.

(Way back when I knew an Oklahoma grad who lived near the Rice campus who said he often took his son to the second half of Rice games once the gates were open and unattended.)

I can't answer that.

RE: New Realignment Thread - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 10-07-2021 12:52 PM

(10-07-2021 11:57 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  What attempt has there been to grow the fanbase?

I, and several other Owls that I know of living in Austin, have procreated, creating small humans with a higher than average chance of becoming Rice fans. That's all I got.

RE: New Realignment Thread - HawaiiOwl - 10-07-2021 01:02 PM

The facts speak for themselves . Houston is the 4th largest city in the US for at least a decade, probably at least 20 years. Current population of ~ 2.4 million, w/ Harris county twice that. Our academics have as string and arguably stronger for decades.
Those of you w/ more free time than I could tabulate the number of programs from smaller cities and lesser academics that have leap-frogged us over the past 20 years or so.
The answer is a financial commitment , that apparently has been lacking since Arkansas fled the SWC. Now is the time, or there is really no point and having these discussions. Even the moves this board is discussing involve moves to diluted conferences.

New Realignment Thread - owl at the moon - 10-07-2021 01:29 PM

(10-07-2021 12:20 PM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

We might play in the Alamodome, but that doesnt mean that we dont get the same support that Rice does.

And our baseball and softball facilities are already being planned for the next phase of our master plan. UTSA is currently looking at concepts and is already in the works.

Our master plan calls for a new basketball arena in Phase 2 (pg 32). They are finishing phase 1 as we speak.

https://goutsa.com/news/2021/8/4/athletics-utsa-opens-state-of-the-art-facility-to-promote-success-of-student-athletes.aspx

Athletics master plan.

Nevertheless, you’re always welcome to post here and I appreciate your posts on the other forums.

I will add though that “getting the same support Rice does” is probably not the winning pitch in this sweepstakes 03-wink

RE: New Realignment Thread - UTSAMarineVet09 - 10-07-2021 01:38 PM

(10-07-2021 01:29 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

Athletics master plan.

Nevertheless, you’re always welcome to post here and I appreciate your posts on the other forums.

I will add though that “getting the same support Rice does” is probably not the winning pitch in this sweepstakes 03-wink

I know, but if I had known that I was posting on the Rice board, I would have been more humble.

And the reason why I said "getting the same support Rice does" is because I cant brag about our attendance numbers because yall are averaging 2500 more per game this season, albeit, Houston did help those numbers.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Barney - 10-07-2021 02:01 PM

(10-07-2021 09:40 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 09:22 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I will soon be flying more than 1,000 miles to the town where we have a conference game the very next day at noon... and have almost no interest in staying for the game

Back when we were in the WAC, I timed a gambling trip to Reno so as to also take in a basketball game at Nevada-Reno.

I was excited to see MY team play, not giving a damn about Reno's team. I was badly disappointed in the Rice performance and the out come of the game. I care(d) more about winning the game than the opponent. Still do.

Anecdote: Ran into Willis Wilson and an assistant in an elevator. they seemed amazed and pleased that (a) there was a Rice fan there, and (b) I was wearing my Rice gear.

Sounds very much like my experience timing a trip to California to include Fresno for the MBB Conference Tournament back then.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Hambone10 - 10-07-2021 02:30 PM

(10-07-2021 02:01 PM)Barney Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 09:22 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I will soon be flying more than 1,000 miles to the town where we have a conference game the very next day at noon... and have almost no interest in staying for the game

Back when we were in the WAC, I timed a gambling trip to Reno so as to also take in a basketball game at Nevada-Reno.

I was excited to see MY team play, not giving a damn about Reno's team. I was badly disappointed in the Rice performance and the out come of the game. I care(d) more about winning the game than the opponent. Still do.

Anecdote: Ran into Willis Wilson and an assistant in an elevator. they seemed amazed and pleased that (a) there was a Rice fan there, and (b) I was wearing my Rice gear.

Sounds very much like my experience timing a trip to California to include Fresno for the MBB Conference Tournament back then.

I traveled with the team or fan groups a LOT during the SWC and WAC days... and we really looked forward to some of those trips.

RE: New Realignment Thread - Tomball Owl - 10-07-2021 03:37 PM

Athletics master plan.

Funny thing about plans. Rice has had plenty of them.

But I wish UTSA well in completing theirs.

Re the Convocation Center, why does the UTSA website list it’s seating capacity as 2650? Most schools/marketing outlets tend to round up.

RE: New Realignment Thread - OptimisticOwl - 10-07-2021 03:56 PM

(10-07-2021 12:52 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 11:57 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  What attempt has there been to grow the fanbase?

I, and several other Owls that I know of living in Austin, have procreated, creating small humans with a higher than average chance of becoming Rice fans. That's all I got.

We need you to start creating large humans who stand a higher than average chance of becoming Rice football players. Get back to work!!!!!

RE: New Realignment Thread - OptimisticOwl - 10-07-2021 03:59 PM

(10-07-2021 11:57 AM)MerseyOwl Wrote:  (Way back when I knew an Oklahoma grad who lived near the Rice campus who said he often took his son to the second half of Rice games once the gates were open and unattended.)

My son went to the second half of a Super Bowl because the gates were open and unattended. SB XXVII

RE: New Realignment Thread - Ourland - 10-07-2021 04:43 PM

(10-07-2021 02:30 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 02:01 PM)Barney Wrote:  

I traveled with the team or fan groups a LOT during the SWC and WAC days... and we really looked forward to some of those trips.

That must have been fun. I always wanted to travel with a large group or caravan to the road games. What kind of fan groups were there? How many fans would go? Do they still exist?

I wish we were the kind of fans that would fill a handful buses and show up on the road in football. Did you guys ever have enough to charter a bus?