CSNbbs
2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament (/thread-922987.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - quo vadis - 07-01-2021 06:52 AM

(07-01-2021 02:07 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  I missed the game. Did MSU knock Rocker around?

It was a strange game. The fans were overwhelmingly MSU fans, and their noise seemed to carry over. Rather than any one technical thing like Vandy pitching, you just had a sense from the moment "play ball!" was announced that MSU was going to win. They were full of enthusiasm and vigor, as if this were a best-of-seven series and they were up 3 games to none, just hours away from their coronation, while Vandy, the defending national champs, seemed almost resigned to losing, and I do not know why.

But the team psychology for each seemed totally different, even before bad things started to happen for Vandy.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bullet - 07-01-2021 08:23 AM

(06-30-2021 09:29 PM)ken d Wrote:  From the first inning on, MSU did all the little things you need to do to win, and Vandy couldn't seem to do any of them. They left no doubt they were the best. You have to be happy, not only for those kids, but for an incredible fan base as well.

As I said earlier in the thread, starter Bednar and reliever Sims are outstanding pitchers. 1 hitter. Those two combined to hold Texas to 4 hits in each of 2 previous games, a 2-1 and 4-3 victory.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 07-01-2021 12:33 PM

(07-01-2021 02:07 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  I missed the game. Did MSU knock Rocker around?

MSU hit Rocker rather well.

Vandy lost due to a combo of reasons, more of them spurred by MissState than anything. MSU was simply far better. And the crowd (seemed like 90 percent MSU, 9 percent neutral and 1 percent VU) was a major factor.

I've been a Vandy fans for about 50 years now. And this might be the single-most understandable and acceptable loss in any Commodore sport ever. It's painful but I fully see what happened and give MSU 100 percent credit.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - quo vadis - 07-01-2021 01:14 PM

(07-01-2021 12:33 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

Vandy lost due to a combo of reasons, more of them spurred by MissState than anything. MSU was simply far better. And the crowd (seemed like 90 percent MSU, 9 percent neutral and 1 percent VU) was a major factor.

I've been a Vandy fans for about 50 years now. And this might be the single-most understandable and acceptable loss in any Commodore sport ever. It's painful but I fully see what happened and give MSU 100 percent credit.

Yes, I was stunned to see how lopsided the crowd was in favor of Mississippi State. It was basically an MSU home game. There seemed like 100 MSU fans for every one Vandy fan in the stands.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - jdgaucho - 07-01-2021 01:33 PM

I was wondering if Will Clark or Rafael Palmeiro made it to Omaha. Palmeiro did.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31740978/college-world-series-2021-mississippi-state-ends-126-year-title-drought

About 1% of the state of Mississippi had made the long journey to Omaha to will the Bulldogs to victory, or at least chase away ghosts. There was Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Dak Prescott in a white MSU polo and backward cap, screaming like a college student, seven years removed from the fall in which he led a MSU football team that was ranked No. 1 for a few weeks. There was four-time MLB All-Star Rafael Palmeiro, part of one of the best college baseball teams to never win a national championship, recording the moment on his phone.

Palmeiro recently pulled a few players aside and broke it down simply: "If you win, you'll be gods."

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 07-01-2021 01:35 PM

(07-01-2021 01:14 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, I was stunned to see how lopsided the crowd was in favor of Mississippi State. It was basically an MSU home game. There seemed like 100 MSU fans for every one Vandy fan in the stands.

I was not surprised at all, Quo. We have a very small fan base (in all sports) that does not travel. There are many explanations for this.

Mississippi State is a large public university with a modest number of international students. And it is located in a state with no pro sports and few cultural attractions and urban locales. These factors lend themselves to yielding a massive, mainstream fan base — and one that is willing to travel.

Vanderbilt is the opposite.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - jdgaucho - 07-01-2021 03:01 PM

(07-01-2021 01:35 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I was not surprised at all, Quo. We have a very small fan base (in all sports) that does not travel. There are many explanations for this.

Mississippi State is a large public university with a modest number of international students. And it is located in a state with no pro sports and few cultural attractions and urban locales. These factors lend themselves to yielding a massive, mainstream fan base — and one that is willing to travel.

I've no doubt locals adopted Mississippi State as their team for the CWS. If I had been there I would have been all on the Hail State bandwagon too.

That said, methinks you're selling Vanderbilt a little short on this one. VU baseball's success under Tim Corbin has attracted fans. Perhaps you also had Tennessee fans who sided with Vandy.

RE: 2021 NCAA Baseball Tournament - bill dazzle - 07-01-2021 03:25 PM

(07-01-2021 03:01 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(07-01-2021 01:35 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

I've no doubt locals adopted Mississippi State as their team for the CWS. If I had been there I would have been all on the Hail State bandwagon too.

That said, methinks you're selling Vanderbilt a little short on this one. VU baseball's success under Tim Corbin has attracted fans. Perhaps you also had Tennessee fans who sided with Vandy.

You're probably correct in that I'm being a bit too critical of our fan base.

But VU has very large international and out-of-state student populations and graduates (particularly on the East and West coasts) who either 1. have no interest in baseball or 2. could not logistically get to Omaha very easily.

I would guess a significant percentage of the MissState fans who attended the games in Omaha live in Mississippi and many attended MSU. Driving to Omaha simply made sense to them. There is a "we're all in this together" mindset with such a fan base that you simply don't see with Vanderbilt's fan base. I've mentioned on this board the almost eye-catching number of people of color and international students I see at Vanderbilt football and basketball games (not that we have a significant number of fans). From what I've seen, many of these VU fans have minimal interest in baseball. In contrast, the big state university fan bases tend to be more homogeneous and rabid.

Vanderbilt ranks in the nation's top 10 percent for diversity (male-female, racial-ethnic, international, etc.; see link below). Lots of these students have minimal interest in baseball specifically or in being a sports fan in general. And many of VU's local fans are like me and don't want to "hit the road" to follow the team. It's hard to explain unless you've fully experienced it.

I agree with you about Tim helping generating more fans than otherwise. He has done a stellar job.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/vanderbilt-university/student-life/diversity/