CSNbbs
Local High School Soccer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Local High School Soccer (/thread-922881.html)

Local High School Soccer - tigerlands - 05-29-2021 12:51 PM

So Memphis has two High School's win the top division boys soccer Championships? That's pretty good. Seems like a good core could be built for the Tiger program if we could sign maybe the top player from each squad. Seeing how the Tiger program does not have to compete with SEC soccer, the team could hopefully make something like that happen. I know the Memphis program has limitations on scholarships and all but lets hope some local talent is high level enough to be considered.

RE: Local High School Soccer - BinghamptonNed - 05-30-2021 07:02 AM

(05-29-2021 12:51 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  So Memphis has two High School's win the top division boys soccer Championships? That's pretty good. Seems like a good core could be built for the Tiger program if we could sign maybe the top player from each squad. Seeing how the Tiger program does not have to compete with SEC soccer, the team could hopefully make something like that happen. I know the Memphis program has limitations on scholarships and all but lets hope some local talent is high level enough to be considered.

The NCAA limits scholarships to 9.9 total scholarships for Soccer- how much lower than that is our program?

RE: Local High School Soccer - micman - 05-30-2021 05:54 PM

Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

I don't understand the limitations on scholarships for non-revenue sports lower than the amount to field a team.

If Memphis wants to give 20 Pom Pon girls full scholarships, and Oklahoma wants to give 15 wrestling scholarships, and Georgia wants to give 18 gymnastics scholarships, who cares?

RE: Local High School Soccer - ncrdbl1 - 05-31-2021 03:10 AM

(05-30-2021 05:54 PM)micman Wrote:  Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

I don't understand the limitations on scholarships for non-revenue sports lower than the amount to field a team.

If Memphis wants to give 20 Pom Pon girls full scholarships, and Oklahoma wants to give 15 wrestling scholarships, and Georgia wants to give 18 gymnastics scholarships, who cares?

P5 schools will split scholarships and sign all the top talent and lock out the other schools.

RE: Local High School Soccer - shere khan - 05-31-2021 01:03 PM

(05-30-2021 05:54 PM)micman Wrote:  Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

Title IX

RE: Local High School Soccer - BinghamptonNed - 06-01-2021 06:36 AM

The NCAA cares

There are scholarshiplimits on each sport

RE: Local High School Soccer - fsquid - 06-01-2021 02:16 PM

Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.

RE: Local High School Soccer - DDrum1961 - 06-01-2021 05:20 PM

(06-01-2021 02:16 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.

Combined with HOPE and other ACT / GPA related scholarships, you could come close to full scholarships for a large portion of local area recruits ...

RE: Local High School Soccer - fsquid - 06-02-2021 08:17 AM

(06-01-2021 05:20 PM)DDrum1961 Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 02:16 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.

Combined with HOPE and other ACT / GPA related scholarships, you could come close to full scholarships for a large portion of local area recruits ...

That's a good point. Seems like most of our good players when I played went to midwestern schools like Creighton, SLU and WKU. Not sure why.

RE: Local High School Soccer - TIGERBUDDY - 06-03-2021 09:51 AM

(06-02-2021 08:17 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

That's a good point. Seems like most of our good players when I played went to midwestern schools like Creighton, SLU and WKU. Not sure why.
07-coffee3 When did you play and what team did you play for ????

RE: Local High School Soccer - tigerengineer - 06-03-2021 10:00 AM

The added piece to the mix is department and college level scholarships. that extra couple of grand a semester makes a big difference. the Engineering College has been doing that for a few years, getting their own fundraising going, and it is helping them get students with higher ACT and GPA

RE: Local High School Soccer - memphisike - 06-03-2021 11:00 AM

Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools
Many club coaches do not want their players playing H.S.

RE: Local High School Soccer - fsquid - 06-03-2021 11:21 AM

(06-03-2021 11:00 AM)memphisike Wrote:  Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools

now that is true. Local club here hired a vagabond from Texas and the first thing he tried to do is get the boys and girls playing ECNL to not play high school. He was so pompous he did not see that wave coming back at him.

RE: Local High School Soccer - tigergreen - 06-03-2021 01:10 PM

(06-03-2021 11:21 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 11:00 AM)memphisike Wrote:  Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools

now that is true. Local club here hired a vagabond from Texas and the first thing he tried to do is get the boys and girls playing ECNL to not play high school. He was so pompous he did not see that wave coming back at him.

There's a lot of that going on around here as well...a few clubs around town are telling kids if you're not playing for Houston or CBHS, you don't need to waste your time with a HS team.

Of course, once you make varsity on any HS team, you're not allowed to play club, so they're wanting their $$ to stay with the club.

RE: Local High School Soccer - tcountytigerfan - 06-03-2021 02:50 PM

(06-03-2021 01:10 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 11:21 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

There's a lot of that going on around here as well...a few clubs around town are telling kids if you're not playing for Houston or CBHS, you don't need to waste your time with a HS team.

Of course, once you make varsity on any HS team, you're not allowed to play club, so they're wanting their $$ to stay with the club.

You're only not allowed to play both club and HS at the same time - once the HS season ends, everyone heads back to their respective club.

That's unfortunate to hear that some clubs are discouraging HS participation. I'll tell you the club I'm with (I'll just say it isn't the Lobos, fyi) encourages players to play for their HS team. Our director pointed out how much more fun & the pride that comes in playing for your HS team vs club team (i.e., your friends and other students don't come watch a club team play, but they'll come out and support the school team).

RE: Local High School Soccer - Marc Mensa - 06-03-2021 07:51 PM

Shame on club programs for encouraging kids to not participate on their HS team. None of these kids are going pro, so allow them to enjoy their friends & classmates. Pitiful.