Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Local High School Soccer
Bookmark and Share
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Cool Local High School Soccer
So Memphis has two High School's win the top division boys soccer Championships? That's pretty good. Seems like a good core could be built for the Tiger program if we could sign maybe the top player from each squad. Seeing how the Tiger program does not have to compete with SEC soccer, the team could hopefully make something like that happen. I know the Memphis program has limitations on scholarships and all but lets hope some local talent is high level enough to be considered.
05-29-2021 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Local High School Soccer
(05-29-2021 12:51 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  So Memphis has two High School's win the top division boys soccer Championships? That's pretty good. Seems like a good core could be built for the Tiger program if we could sign maybe the top player from each squad. Seeing how the Tiger program does not have to compete with SEC soccer, the team could hopefully make something like that happen. I know the Memphis program has limitations on scholarships and all but lets hope some local talent is high level enough to be considered.

The NCAA limits scholarships to 9.9 total scholarships for Soccer- how much lower than that is our program?
05-30-2021 07:02 AM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

I don't understand the limitations on scholarships for non-revenue sports lower than the amount to field a team.

If Memphis wants to give 20 Pom Pon girls full scholarships, and Oklahoma wants to give 15 wrestling scholarships, and Georgia wants to give 18 gymnastics scholarships, who cares?
05-30-2021 05:54 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(05-30-2021 05:54 PM)micman Wrote:  Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

I don't understand the limitations on scholarships for non-revenue sports lower than the amount to field a team.

If Memphis wants to give 20 Pom Pon girls full scholarships, and Oklahoma wants to give 15 wrestling scholarships, and Georgia wants to give 18 gymnastics scholarships, who cares?

P5 schools will split scholarships and sign all the top talent and lock out the other schools.
05-31-2021 03:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(05-30-2021 05:54 PM)micman Wrote:  Memphis has always been well represented in high school soccer. CBHS was consistently nationally ranked when I was in high school in the early 90's. Germantown produced Cindy Parlow.

Title IX
05-31-2021 01:03 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

The NCAA cares

There are scholarshiplimits on each sport
06-01-2021 06:36 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.
06-01-2021 02:16 PM
Advertisement

DDrum1961 Offline
1st String

(06-01-2021 02:16 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.

Combined with HOPE and other ACT / GPA related scholarships, you could come close to full scholarships for a large portion of local area recruits ...
06-01-2021 05:20 PM
fsquid Online
Legend

(06-01-2021 05:20 PM)DDrum1961 Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 02:16 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Best way to get local kids to stay is to make the academic side nice enough that those players will walk on.

Combined with HOPE and other ACT / GPA related scholarships, you could come close to full scholarships for a large portion of local area recruits ...

That's a good point. Seems like most of our good players when I played went to midwestern schools like Creighton, SLU and WKU. Not sure why.
06-02-2021 08:17 AM
TIGERBUDDY Online
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(06-02-2021 08:17 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

That's a good point. Seems like most of our good players when I played went to midwestern schools like Creighton, SLU and WKU. Not sure why.
07-coffee3 When did you play and what team did you play for ????
06-03-2021 09:51 AM
Advertisement

tigerengineer Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers!

The added piece to the mix is department and college level scholarships. that extra couple of grand a semester makes a big difference. the Engineering College has been doing that for a few years, getting their own fundraising going, and it is helping them get students with higher ACT and GPA
06-03-2021 10:00 AM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools
Many club coaches do not want their players playing H.S.
06-03-2021 11:00 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

(06-03-2021 11:00 AM)memphisike Wrote:  Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools

now that is true. Local club here hired a vagabond from Texas and the first thing he tried to do is get the boys and girls playing ECNL to not play high school. He was so pompous he did not see that wave coming back at him.
06-03-2021 11:21 AM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(06-03-2021 11:21 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 11:00 AM)memphisike Wrote:  Ike was told, colleges recruit travel clubs not high schools

now that is true. Local club here hired a vagabond from Texas and the first thing he tried to do is get the boys and girls playing ECNL to not play high school. He was so pompous he did not see that wave coming back at him.

There's a lot of that going on around here as well...a few clubs around town are telling kids if you're not playing for Houston or CBHS, you don't need to waste your time with a HS team.

Of course, once you make varsity on any HS team, you're not allowed to play club, so they're wanting their $$ to stay with the club.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2021 01:11 PM by tigergreen.)
06-03-2021 01:10 PM
tcountytigerfan Offline
1st String

(06-03-2021 01:10 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(06-03-2021 11:21 AM)fsquid Wrote:  

There's a lot of that going on around here as well...a few clubs around town are telling kids if you're not playing for Houston or CBHS, you don't need to waste your time with a HS team.

Of course, once you make varsity on any HS team, you're not allowed to play club, so they're wanting their $$ to stay with the club.

You're only not allowed to play both club and HS at the same time - once the HS season ends, everyone heads back to their respective club.

That's unfortunate to hear that some clubs are discouraging HS participation. I'll tell you the club I'm with (I'll just say it isn't the Lobos, fyi) encourages players to play for their HS team. Our director pointed out how much more fun & the pride that comes in playing for your HS team vs club team (i.e., your friends and other students don't come watch a club team play, but they'll come out and support the school team).
06-03-2021 02:50 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Shame on club programs for encouraging kids to not participate on their HS team. None of these kids are going pro, so allow them to enjoy their friends & classmates. Pitiful.
06-03-2021 07:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.