CSNbbs
Hiring the next hoops coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Hiring the next hoops coach (/thread-920387.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Lurkercat - 04-12-2021 03:59 PM

(04-12-2021 03:57 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:51 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:48 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Who did we interview? NVE is the only other one I've heard confirmed and it sounds like that was more of an assistant/package deal than an actual HC candidate. Hopefully there were others (Savino, Green) but I haven't seen anyone asserting it.

For what it's worth I heard a few other names. These things stay pretty tight in our AD. I know you'd prefer an Athletic Department that leaked everything.

That's rather disingenuous. There's a big difference between leaking everything and having some transparency and accountability as a public institution. Regardless, I'm not sure why such a simple question has made you so defensive. What other names or is that top secret info too?

Did they interview the cleveland state guy too?

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - robertfoshizzle - 04-12-2021 04:04 PM

(04-12-2021 03:35 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 01:06 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Just give whoever is hired as the next head coach a damn chance. There is too much in-fighting and negativity in this fan base. As Mark said, there is no magic formula for finding a successful head coach. We've seen guys move up from assistant coaching positions, guys move up from smaller head coaching gigs, and guys move over from the NBA with success. NO ONE on this board knows if Erik Martin (or anyone else for that matter) will be successful. I don't know everything and neither do you. Let's rally behind whoever is the new coach and give him a fair shot at building our program to the level we all want to see it.

Should we be upset in the end if we don't think he got a fair shake?

I was never on the fire Brannen train. Based on what we knew the day about him the day the season ended, I absolutely thought he deserved at least another year, and when the fire Brannen pitchforks came out on the game threads, I preached patience. I'm still not sure if firing him was the right move. If he was endangering the health of our student athletes though, I am on board with his dismissal. Hard to decipher from what we know (which isn't much) if that was truly the case or not. At any rate, what's done is done, and I look forward to supporting our next head coach.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - eroc - 04-12-2021 04:50 PM

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - doss2 - 04-12-2021 05:27 PM

Reminds me of the person who just had a really bad divorce and jumps for the first person that smiles.

I guess Nick Bowes did the first interview with Martin.

I wonder if Fick is thinking "And I thought MSU was a mess?"

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bearcat54 - 04-12-2021 05:30 PM

(04-12-2021 05:27 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Reminds me of the person who just had a really bad divorce and jumps for the first person that smiles.

I guess Nick Bowes did the first interview with Martin.

I wonder if Fick is thinking "And I thought MSU was a mess?"

i WOULDN'T Think that whatever happens in basketball would affect CLK. Anybody else?

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Bearhawkeye - 04-12-2021 05:54 PM

(04-12-2021 03:59 PM)Lurkercat Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:57 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:51 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:48 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Who did we interview? NVE is the only other one I've heard confirmed and it sounds like that was more of an assistant/package deal than an actual HC candidate. Hopefully there were others (Savino, Green) but I haven't seen anyone asserting it.

For what it's worth I heard a few other names. These things stay pretty tight in our AD. I know you'd prefer an Athletic Department that leaked everything.

That's rather disingenuous. There's a big difference between leaking everything and having some transparency and accountability as a public institution. Regardless, I'm not sure why such a simple question has made you so defensive. What other names or is that top secret info too?

Did they interview the cleveland state guy too?

Dunno. Heard about him possibly gaining steam or whatever as a candidate but no reports of an actual interview or even a meeting if there's a difference.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Coopdaddy67 - 04-12-2021 06:05 PM

(04-12-2021 03:01 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Martin is actively in contract negotiations according to Brendel via Mo's radio show.

I wonder what it would take?

If the salaries I found online are correct, he's been making around 250k/year as an assistant.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Kenyon#4 - 04-12-2021 06:31 PM

If they hire Martin, I don’t even know what to say anymore. Literally NO OTHER team has even sniffed him as a candidate ever. His only qualification for this job is being a former player. That’s it. No recruits know, or care, that he played on a final four team.

This is depressing. What has happened to UC? 03-no

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - BearcatMan - 04-12-2021 06:35 PM

(04-12-2021 06:05 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:01 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Martin is actively in contract negotiations according to Brendel via Mo's radio show.

If the salaries I found online are correct, he's been making around 250k/year as an assistant.

My guess is it'll settle around $1.2M.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - geef - 04-12-2021 06:39 PM

(04-12-2021 06:05 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  

My hope is that the negotiations will include a good pool of cash for hiring at least one assistant with successful head coaching experience.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - bcat1997 - 04-12-2021 06:45 PM

What are Martin's recruiting chops? That will be the key if he can build something like Penny did with local guys and build the talent.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - geef - 04-12-2021 06:48 PM

Apologies if this has been posted prior. Good article on Martin (and his relationship with Huggins) from the WVU site - https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/erik-martin-blazes-a-trail-all-his-own/

It does reference past HC offers.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Bearhawkeye - 04-12-2021 06:50 PM

(04-12-2021 04:04 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 03:35 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(04-12-2021 01:06 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  Just give whoever is hired as the next head coach a damn chance. There is too much in-fighting and negativity in this fan base. As Mark said, there is no magic formula for finding a successful head coach. We've seen guys move up from assistant coaching positions, guys move up from smaller head coaching gigs, and guys move over from the NBA with success. NO ONE on this board knows if Erik Martin (or anyone else for that matter) will be successful. I don't know everything and neither do you. Let's rally behind whoever is the new coach and give him a fair shot at building our program to the level we all want to see it.

Should we be upset in the end if we don't think he got a fair shake?

I was never on the fire Brannen train. Based on what we knew the day about him the day the season ended, I absolutely thought he deserved at least another year, and when the fire Brannen pitchforks came out on the game threads, I preached patience. I'm still not sure if firing him was the right move. If he was endangering the health of our student athletes though, I am on board with his dismissal. Hard to decipher from what we know (which isn't much) if that was truly the case or not. At any rate, what's done is done, and I look forward to supporting our next head coach.

Sounds like we are actually pretty much on the same page aside from "what's done is done". I just think we are still a ways away from being done financially and legally with the previous coach and the implications for the AD.
04-cheers

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Crewdogz - 04-12-2021 07:03 PM

https://wvsportsnow.com/report-wvu-assistant-erik-martin-a-finalist-for-cincinnati-coaching-job/

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - uchoops - 04-12-2021 08:07 PM

(04-12-2021 06:31 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  If they hire Martin, I don’t even know what to say anymore. Literally NO OTHER team has even sniffed him as a candidate ever. His only qualification for this job is being a former player. That’s it. No recruits know, or care, that he played on a final four team.

Don’t even give the guy a chance...go away ...we got our guy...we aren’t elite anymore..hopefully we can be..

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - rath v2.0 - 04-12-2021 08:19 PM

I’m warming to the idea because of who we are currently...I won’t sweat anyone who is not happy with the hire. Plenty of reasons for this to bum folks out.

It’s a high risk hire for the brain but a feel good hire for the heart.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - UCBearcatlawjd2 - 04-12-2021 08:21 PM

I just wish UC basketball was a destination job that attracted the best head coaches in basketball. NBA guys, top college coaches, and elite assistants. If Huggins left in his own almost 20 years ago would the program be a much different spot from a hiring perspective. Is this failure of Cronin to not truest elevate the program to make a destination job. Did Brannen lower the bar so badly that any coach is now an upgrade? Is the conference and budget problems holding this program back to the point where it’s a shadow of its former self.

Maybe whoever UC picks will be the man to lead the Cats back to the top of college basketball, I just wish that the top of college would be looking to lead the Cats.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - stpnum4 - 04-12-2021 08:30 PM

(04-12-2021 08:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m warming to the idea because of who we are currently...I won’t sweat anyone who is not happy with the hire. Plenty of reasons for this to bum folks out.

Very well put. It would be great to bring in a coach that unites the fanbase and has success at the same time. That's been eluding UC since Huggs left.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Bearcat04 - 04-12-2021 08:30 PM

(04-12-2021 06:31 PM)Kenyon#4 Wrote:  If they hire Martin, I don’t even know what to say anymore. Literally NO OTHER team has even sniffed him as a candidate ever. His only qualification for this job is being a former player. That’s it. No recruits know, or care, that he played on a final four team.

Roy Williams was at UNC for nearly 20 years. There wasn’t a better coach during that span. He won 3 National Championships. If Hubert Davis, with no head coaching experience, is being praised to have the experience to take over that seat then Martin is easily qualified for this job.

RE: Hiring the next hoops coach - Cat-Man - 04-12-2021 08:42 PM

(04-12-2021 08:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I’m warming to the idea because of who we are currently...I won’t sweat anyone who is not happy with the hire. Plenty of reasons for this to bum folks out.

That's where I'm at. If it's Martin, I don't think it's the right choice, but I won't lament or revolt against it. I'll cheer him and the team on and hope for the best. Who knows, it might be a fun ride. It would be nice if he can at least bring some swagger back.