CSNbbs
[split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond (/thread-911739.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 02-06-2022 09:03 PM

Looks like we just landed another one as both Bostick and Cruz tweeted there owl meme.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - OptimisticOwl - 02-06-2022 09:50 PM

I wish we could hoot our Owl meme instead of tweeting it.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Swede Owl - 02-07-2022 11:38 PM

Andrew Ildefonso, 2023 RHP out of the Miami area https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=581399

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - GoodOwl - 02-24-2022 06:51 PM

Saw this today...

[Image: i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0218%2Fr976134_1...16%2D9.jpg]
Quote:link: http://members.baseballfactory.com/player/druw/jones/4854edec671641918b146081c3a04634
Druw Jones OF/SS

Suwanwee, GA
Wesleyan
Travel Team: FTB/Phillies Scout Team
Commitment: Vanderbilt University
Class Rating: 1

Druw is a special talent with loud tools and an ability to play the game that is at, or above, those tools. His right-handed swing has barrel accuracy and big-time flick at contact. He hits balls that have big over-the-fence carry with seemingly very little effort. Druw sees the ball well and has a mature approach that uses the entire field well - taking what the pitcher gives him. When he sees a mistake he can hit it out to any part of the park. As a defender he is instinctual and fast, a combination that gives him the look of a quality CF at the highest level. In addition, Druw jumped in the infield and showed natural actions and plenty of arm at SS. This is one of the highest ceiling players in the country!

and

Quote:link: Kiley McDaniel's 2022 MLB draft rankings 1.0

Last year, Vanderbilt aces Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker were the No. 1 story of the MLB draft. This year, it is the high-profile sons of high-profile former big leaguers. Druw Jones, the top player in my rankings, is the son of Andruw Jones. Lower down the list, Matt Holliday's son is at No. 12, Carl Crawford's son is at 27 and CC Sabathia's son (Carsten) is also of draft quality.

Secondly, there's the toss-up at the top of the draft, with Jones and Termarr Johnson (both Atlanta-area prep products) as the current leaders. Elijah Green has been hyped as having one of the best tool packages in recent draft history and is certainly in the mix to go first overall. While a prep pitcher is unlikely to be the top pick, this year's college crop is stronger in overall depth than high-end talent....

This is the kind of guy we used to get commitments from (some would of course be drafted instead), and need to again to raise the program profile back up. Go Coach Cruz, Jr.!

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - cr11owl - 02-24-2022 07:07 PM

(02-24-2022 06:51 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Saw this today...

Quote:link: http://members.baseballfactory.com/player/druw/jones/4854edec671641918b146081c3a04634
Druw Jones OF/SS

Suwanwee, GA
Wesleyan

Druw is a special talent with loud tools and an ability to play the game that is at, or above, those tools. His right-handed swing has barrel accuracy and big-time flick at contact. He hits balls that have big over-the-fence carry with seemingly very little effort. Druw sees the ball well and has a mature approach that uses the entire field well - taking what the pitcher gives him. When he sees a mistake he can hit it out to any part of the park. As a defender he is instinctual and fast, a combination that gives him the look of a quality CF at the highest level. In addition, Druw jumped in the infield and showed natural actions and plenty of arm at SS. This is one of the highest ceiling players in the country!

and

Last year, Vanderbilt aces Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker were the No. 1 story of the MLB draft. This year, it is the high-profile sons of high-profile former big leaguers. Druw Jones, the top player in my rankings, is the son of Andruw Jones. Lower down the list, Matt Holliday's son is at No. 12, Carl Crawford's son is at 27 and CC Sabathia's son (Carsten) is also of draft quality.

Secondly, there's the toss-up at the top of the draft, with Jones and Termarr Johnson (both Atlanta-area prep products) as the current leaders. Elijah Green has been hyped as having one of the best tool packages in recent draft history and is certainly in the mix to go first overall. While a prep pitcher is unlikely to be the top pick, this year's college crop is stronger in overall depth than high-end talent....

This is the kind of guy we used to get commitments from (some would of course be drafted instead), and need to again to raise the program profile back up. Go Coach Cruz, Jr.!

1. We’ve never had recruits like this make it to campus.
2. This makes me feel very old. Maybe if Cruz played with his dad he would’ve committed to Rice.
3. He’s never playing college baseball.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 02-25-2022 03:40 AM

(02-24-2022 07:07 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  

Druw Jones OF/SS

Suwanwee, GA
Wesleyan

and

2. This makes me feel very old. Maybe if Cruz played with his dad he would’ve committed to Rice.

Thank you. I agree with you on all 3 points. The only super elite high school prospect we got on campus was Savery. Rendon wasn't a Top 200 prospect. The OG talent was finding the diamond in the rough, developing them, and getting them to maximize their potential. BTW, Walsh (Ole Miss), Reidel (UNC) and Woodcox (Tech) were all Top 100 prospects out of high school.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Owl Is In Chains - 02-25-2022 12:40 PM

(02-25-2022 03:40 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Druw Jones OF/SS

Suwanwee, GA
Wesleyan

and

Thank you. I agree with you on all 3 points. The only super elite high school prospect we got on campus was Savery. Rendon wasn't a Top 200 prospect. The OG talent was finding the diamond in the rough, developing them, and getting them to maximize their potential. BTW, Walsh (Ole Miss), Reidel (UNC) and Woodcox (Tech) were all Top 100 prospects out of high school.

While I am happy that Reidel and Woodcox are here, I don't think they were top 100 national out of high school.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - RiceOwls2019 - 02-25-2022 12:56 PM

(02-25-2022 12:40 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  
(02-25-2022 03:40 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Druw Jones OF/SS

Suwanwee, GA
Wesleyan

and

While I am happy that Reidel and Woodcox are here, I don't think they were top 100 national out of high school.

Correct.

Perfect Game ranked Riedel number 231 overall, number 48 for shortstops, 19 overall in his class in Texas.

From Woodcox's Tech bio: "nationally he was ranked 107th for shortstops in the country … in Texas he was 49th and the 11th ranked shortstop"

So Top 100 in Texas, correct for both. Top 100 nationally, nope.

Walsh, however was number 27 nationally in his class. Is he hurt? Or just hasn't gotten off the bench this year?

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Owl Is In Chains - 02-25-2022 02:09 PM

Regarding Walsh, I saw him get hit in the head while hitting in an intrasquad a little under two weeks ago. I have no idea if that is why.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 04-23-2022 04:25 PM

Looks like we just landed someone. Jose tweeted his Owl mem last night with the words, "we continue to solidify", and Bostick just tweeted his Owl mem.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - dragon2owl - 04-24-2022 05:55 PM

(04-23-2022 04:25 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Looks like we just landed someone. Jose tweeted his Owl mem last night with the words, "we continue to solidify", and Bostick just tweeted his Owl mem.

Quote:Benjamin Royo
@BenjaminRoyo15

I am excited to announce I will be furthering my baseball and academic career at Rice University. Big thank you to my family, coaches, teammates, and friends for supporting me throughout this process.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=799812

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Swede Owl - 07-01-2022 03:34 PM

It appears that we have a transfer from the Ragin' Cajuns (ULaLa)--RHP Hayden Durke. Coming out of HS (class of 2021, I believe), he was the Perfect Game #1 ranked prospect from the state of Louisiana. In 2021 he was the opening day starter as a freshman, and posted a 2-3 record with one save on the mound, and earned his first collegiate victory in his next start against Rice (2/26), pitching 5.0 innings with nine strikeouts. However, in 2022 he pitched very little, not sure why. He's currently pitching in the Cape Cod league for Chatham, so that bodes well, typically.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 07-01-2022 03:56 PM

(07-01-2022 03:34 PM)Swede Owl Wrote:  It appears that we have a transfer from the Ragin' Cajuns (ULaLa)--RHP Hayden Durke. Coming out of HS (class of 2021, I believe), he was the Perfect Game #1 ranked prospect from the state of Louisiana. In 2021 he was the opening day starter as a freshman, and posted a 2-3 record with one save on the mound, and earned his first collegiate victory in his next start against Rice (2/26), pitching 5.0 innings with nine strikeouts. However, in 2022 he pitched very little, not sure why. He's currently pitching in the Cape Cod league for Chatham, so that bodes well, typically.

Obviously has good stuff, but has a history of control issues. Sounds like another Micah Davis. Question is whether our new pitching coach solve the mental issues.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Swede Owl - 07-01-2022 05:47 PM

Interesting that Hayden plays for the same Cape Cod team as Guy Garibay. Coincidence? Or is Guy The Closer??

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Exec_Owl - 07-06-2022 02:55 PM

Rice just lost another incredibly talented pitching recruit, top 100 in the 2023 class. That should be breaking on Twitter soon.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 07-06-2022 02:56 PM

(07-06-2022 02:55 PM)Exec_Owl Wrote:  Rice just lost another incredibly talented pitching recruit, top 100 in the 2023 class. That should be breaking on Twitter soon.

Another? What other one did we lose?

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Exec_Owl - 07-06-2022 03:19 PM

Jackson Brasseaux. Saw video he was up to 94 this summer, really big arm from the left side.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - RiceOwls2019 - 07-06-2022 03:25 PM

Yeah Perfect Game (and his twitter) now show him as uncommitted. Also says Baseball America has him in the top 100 overall of his draft class now, which means his chances of playing college baseball anywhere probably aren't real high.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - Exec_Owl - 07-06-2022 03:28 PM

(07-06-2022 03:25 PM)RiceOwls2019 Wrote:  Yeah Perfect Game (and his twitter) now show him as uncommitted. Also says Baseball America has him in the top 100 overall of his draft class now, which means his chances of playing college baseball anywhere probably aren't real high.

I wouldn’t go that far. Especially with the 20 rounds in the draft.

RE: [split] Baseball Recruiting 2021 and beyond - waltgreenberg - 07-08-2022 07:38 PM

Based on Cheito's latest tweet it appears we just landed someone. I'm assuming/hoping someone out of the transfer portal.