CSNbbs
Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: Tracking the return of JMU sports (NO more discussions of validity of covid pandemic) (/thread-901559.html)

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DWING - 07-20-2020 02:34 PM

(07-20-2020 08:05 AM)TXGiant Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 06:50 AM)DWING Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 04:52 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  
(07-18-2020 01:24 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  If you’re not playing for a conference championship, and you’re not playing for a playoffs/national championship, and you’re not playing for a bowl game, then what are you playing for?

I WOULDN’T have made the blanket statement only will play if there’s a playoffs. Here's my armchair QB plan:
-Try to get 4 G5/P5 games scheduled & a ½ doz or so FCS. Would tell the G5/P5 you will play those games REGARDLESS of the playoffs. Tells the FCS that you will play them as long as there are payoffs.

-If the playoffs are cancelled, then you ditch the FCS games. No point in playing them. Still play the 4 G5/P5 games in a 4 game exhibition type season. The NCAA allows players to play up to 4 games a season and not burn a redshirt or lose a season of eligibility.

-If there's a shortened Spring season with playoffs (doubtful), then no one burned a redshirt or season of eligibility in the Fall playing 4 G5/P5 games, and you play in the Spring. More football. Yeah!

-If there’s no Spring season, and no more football until 2021 season, then no one burned a redshirt or season of eligibility in this Fall playing 4 G5/P5 games. At least you got 4 games in vs the big boys. Maybe get a win or 2 or 3. Yeah!

-And if some or all of the 4 FBS games were cancelled, and no football until late summer 2021, oh well, JMU tried, no one burned a redshirt or season of eligibility in this Fall.

Now that is a GREAT plan. Makes perfect sense. I love how you came up with a plan to protect player eligibility and redshirt seasons. And think of the exposure this program would get
I hope you work in the JMU Athletic Department...And that is not a Lol

This is a great thought, but not a great plan. Players only get one RS season, so all of the players that have already used their RS would lose a year of eligibility for only playing in 4 games. IMO it wouldn't be worth losing a year of eligibility for 4 games.

With the new rules, an athlete can play in four games without losing their redshirt.

You're right, I guess I was thinking of the 5 years to play 4 with one RS year. Not sure how that factors into the new rules.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-20-2020 02:40 PM

(07-20-2020 01:55 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 01:34 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  Dukester - Given that Cent has made multiple post referencing college aged kids and death rates, without providing a connection to sports, but has yet to respond to any counter that involves the return to sports (raised by myself in #374, you just now, DukeDogNation in #367, and JMad in #373), and instead has stated the logical points that he isn't considering are "not worth responding" (post #388), can we just agree that Cent is set on discussing the validity of covid and not the actual return of sports, in which case a mod should just ban/warn him?

Yeah - you should totally ban me for providing statistics regarding college aged kids when discussing the safety of college aged kids playing sports. Sorry, its barely worth responding to most these posts because I keep getting called a racist dummy for reading statistics differently than others here. Total insanity.

Ive said it dozens of times, protect the at risk, and let everyone else manage their own risks personally, and then to their extended families.

If your grocery store, garbagemen, the guys and gals who deliver your packages and local police officers can figure out how to manage risk and spread, so can college athletic programs.

You aren't reading stats any differently, and none of the responses I referenced imply that. They all suggest that your stats are irrelevant to the bigger discussion as they are focused on just one small component of a more complex issue. I'm not sure why it is difficult for you to understand that.

There are 58/70 players involved in a football game per team. Assuming their will be sideline limitations in place whenever games start back up, and everyone will go to 58 players per team, that isn't even 50% of the people involved in a game day. You have 7+ person officiating crews, with an average age of 52, traveling in from who knows where in close contact with each other, players and coaches (source). You got team coaching staffs accounting for another ~10 people on each sideline, with an average age of 42.5 (source). Add more in for the practices. You have many other groups of folks (equipment, medical, chain crew, support staff, set-up/breakdown) that add another 100 people easily, that are currently part of the game day process/preparation. Sure, some of these people/roles will hopefully be eliminated for any games played this fall, but to purposely ignore all the folks that are not college aged is just silly.

But yeah, since you brought up reading stats differently, I'll note now that using a rate that was calculated for 5-17 years old is hardly relevant given the typical age of college freshman, and even less relevant when considering the typical age of a player on travel squad, but whatever, you don't have time for sensible responses. Also, I'll reiterate its a small component and I prefer to consider everything.

Also, please link the "racist dummy" comments you referenced.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-20-2020 02:54 PM

(07-20-2020 02:40 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  But yeah, since you brought up reading stats differently, I'll note now that using a rate that was calculated for 5-17 years old is hardly relevant given the typical age of college freshman, and even less relevant when considering the typical age of a player on travel squad, but whatever, you don't have time for sensible responses. Also, I'll reiterate its a small component and I prefer to consider everything.

Well since 18-21 year olds were close to inbetween two age brackets, i referenced them both.

I am fully aware of the fact that other people work during the game. I am also aware that most everyone will be outside, which carries an insanely low risk associated with transmission. Anyone that is inside can wear a mask and socially distance.

You rely on other people to make your life go around that are putting themselves (and their families) at varying levels of risk. I tend to think that college athletics is one of the last cultural gathering places we have left between people that disagree on politics. This country is very sick, and we cant have a simple disagreement it seems by your response. I would like to see it back, the sooner the better.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-20-2020 03:05 PM

(07-20-2020 02:54 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 02:40 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  But yeah, since you brought up reading stats differently, I'll note now that using a rate that was calculated for 5-17 years old is hardly relevant given the typical age of college freshman, and even less relevant when considering the typical age of a player on travel squad, but whatever, you don't have time for sensible responses. Also, I'll reiterate its a small component and I prefer to consider everything.

Well since 18-21 year olds were close to inbetween two age brackets, i referenced them both.

I am fully aware of the fact that other people work during the game. I am also aware that most everyone will be outside, which carries an insanely low risk associated with transmission. Anyone that is inside can wear a mask and socially distance.

You rely on other people to make your life go around that are putting themselves (and their families) at varying levels of risk. I tend to think that college athletics is one of the last cultural gathering places we have left between people that disagree on politics. This country is very sick, and we cant have a simple disagreement it seems by your response. I would like to see it back, the sooner the better.

I certainly can and several of us have attempted to converse with you. It appears you are the common denominator in the conversations not working. Perhaps that is due to your determination to always be right, evidenced by you ignoring 95% of my post to hone in on the very last bit, as you attempt to prove yourself right (your sole goal). But yea, continue to believe that an amazon delivery driver's day is similar to holding a football game, you are destined to having plenty of the disagreements you seek.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NovaDukes - 07-20-2020 03:12 PM

For a couple of days these boards improved and then regressed to the same garbage that has runoff many fans from this board. Thank you to the few a-holes that have ruined these boards.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-20-2020 03:22 PM

(07-17-2020 03:07 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  I certainly can and several of us have attempted to converse with you. It appears you are the common denominator in the conversations not working. Perhaps that is due to your determination to always be right, evidenced by you ignoring 95% of my post to hone in on the very last bit, as you attempt to prove yourself right (your sole goal). But yea, continue to believe that an amazon delivery driver's day is similar to holding a football game, you are destined to having plenty of the disagreements you seek.

Im conversing back - i just see this differently from you. Its hard to keep up with all of the posts, my apologies for not keeping up with yours.

I do think im right, and so do you. Its ok, its called a disagreement. We can have them.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-20-2020 03:23 PM

(07-20-2020 03:12 PM)NovaDukes Wrote:  For a couple of days these boards improved and then regressed to the same garbage that has runoff many fans from this board. Thank you to the few a-holes that have ruined these boards.

Your once a month post, and name calling, has actually provided less value than the a'holes. Keep fighting the good fight! 04-rock

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-20-2020 03:24 PM

(07-20-2020 03:22 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  
(07-17-2020 03:07 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  I certainly can and several of us have attempted to converse with you. It appears you are the common denominator in the conversations not working. Perhaps that is due to your determination to always be right, evidenced by you ignoring 95% of my post to hone in on the very last bit, as you attempt to prove yourself right (your sole goal). But yea, continue to believe that an amazon delivery driver's day is similar to holding a football game, you are destined to having plenty of the disagreements you seek.

Im conversing back - i just see this differently from you. Its hard to keep up with all of the posts, my apologies for not keeping up with yours.

I do think im right, and so do you. Its ok, its called a disagreement. We can have them.

So you going to link the posts calling you a racist or what?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMUDuke2002 - 07-20-2020 03:25 PM

You know before I had kids I would be fine with college sports coming back. I wouldn't have ever thought about the safety and the efficacy of any precautions put in place for the players let alone any moral implications of it. I've struggled with my support of football with all the health issues --head injuries, joint injuries...all of it...as it relates to the injuries associated purely with the sport. So much so, I refuse to allow my son or daughter to play the sport, much to my son's dismay. Now, years on from becoming a parent, I have no desire or reason to want them to play. It's a sport for our entertainment. This is within our control, to some small degree, to prevent these young people from possibly (even if remotely) from becoming ill and prevent the public from any further harm.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - NovaDukes - 07-20-2020 03:27 PM

(07-20-2020 03:23 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 03:12 PM)NovaDukes Wrote:  For a couple of days these boards improved and then regressed to the same garbage that has runoff many fans from this board. Thank you to the few a-holes that have ruined these boards.

Your once a month post, and name calling, has actually provided less value than the a'holes. Keep fighting the good fight! 04-rock

Thank you for proving my point. I thought it would take a little longer, but you are what you are.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DoubleDogDare - 07-20-2020 03:29 PM

(07-20-2020 03:27 PM)NovaDukes Wrote:  
(07-20-2020 03:23 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

Thank you for proving my point. I thought it would take a little longer, but you are what you are.

Thanks for joining us a'holes in the mud!

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Centdukesfan - 07-20-2020 03:31 PM

(07-17-2020 05:42 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  I'm not worried. It's all a hoax. This is all going to go away when the weather warms up. Or, is it now cools down? I dunno. I get so confused on that. Of course, that is kind of contradictory I admit because if it is a "hoax" then what is there to go away when the weather warms up? But, I'm a part of the ignorant cult and I'll go along with my ignorant cult leader.

Just do what I do. Every day, I've continued to mix and drink me a Cloroxtini. I follow by shoving an anal probe up my rectum and use UV light rays to kill any potential COVID germs. And then, I get my daily shot of hydroxychloroquine. I mean, if it's a hoax and it's going to go away when the weather warms up, then why do I need all this drinking, anal probing and shooting up some 6-syllable drug like a heroine addict every day? I know why. Because I'm an ignorant fool who follows a con man and I have painted myself into a corner I refuse to come out of.

And, before I go with this advice. Black folks need to stop protesting about being killed. There are more important things to protest about...like having to wear a mask or freedom to get a haircut. You know, super important stuff like that. Sheesh.

04-cheers

This was directed at me. it may not be explicit, but its pretty damn close. Sorry if it doesnt meet your threshold, but it did for me.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 07-20-2020 05:28 PM

Interesting...

Yahoo Sports College Football @YahooSportsCFB

Attendance at Rutgers football games will be limited to 500 in accordance with executive orders issued by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy

...I wonder if they will sell it out?

[Image: tenor.gif]

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - RamDawg - 07-20-2020 05:32 PM

....and some can't see it happening. A few great posts that make you think through the college sports challenges then a bunch that make you think you've been redirected to the CAAZone.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Wear Purple - 07-20-2020 05:45 PM

Also as part of NJ Governor’s order there will be no fans at Jets & Giants home games until further notice/order. Hmmm....

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMUNation - 07-20-2020 06:01 PM

I don’t have a desire of getting in the middle but as a quiet observer to this argument, I see people spewing ridicule and personal insults at Cent and Cent sharing data he believes to be accurate and informative. I am not saying I agree with either side of this argument. I just see some posters as attacking and one poster sharing information.

This seems to be the world we live in where a handful of people sit at a keyboard and lash out at anyone who doesn’t agree with them. Many of us continue to call for peace and it comes for a period then it turns again. It is tiring.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - DukeThaDawg - 07-20-2020 06:11 PM

(07-20-2020 02:03 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  Jeff Bourne being interviewed @ 4 O'Clock hour - https://www.radio.com/thefanrichmond/listen

Bourne was on around 4:30 and talked for about 7 minuets. The 2 hosts were hung up on how great it would be if the FCS moved permanently to the spring...Talk about the death of the FCS.

Anyway...Bourne said that JMU plans to play in the fall, that they're looking for games within driving distance, and will only play in the spring if the NCAA moves the postseason to the spring. He also talked about all the planning that went into bringing the players back on campus.

IF football is played this fall---JMU has to play, whether there is an NCAA postseason or not. Other conferences are determined to play this fall. The OVC commisioner said, "If there is a way to let (schools) compete, then try to find to find a way to let them compete,"
"thoughtful to fall first and make sure we have exhausted all possibilities."
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1285242438215503883
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1285241958047285248

Too bad we didn't have her as CAA commissioner. Here we are mighty JMU, and teams from the OVC will play---but we may not.
There are games to be had. This has to happen or this program may take a hit from which it will never recover. JMU has built a program that is better than most G5's and some low tier P5. That all goes away if FCS teams play a season, and we don't. How can JMU justify ranking #63 for revenue and expenses (Outranking practically every G5 school) on USA today Athletic Department Database, and not spend the money to make a season happen?? Not spend the $$ to fly somewhere if they must??
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

If teams play, and JMU does NOT, the tranfer portal will light up. Kids in their 5th year of eligibility, would have NO choice but to leave. Many 4 year seniors may see the hand writing on the wall. Then things start to snowball all the way down to the 2021 class, as players sense a lack of commitment/stability
They have spent the money to bring the players back on campus and to implement a testing protocol. They MUST be all in at this point. Finding teams may be alot harder than people think---But there are games to be had. And more will open up once the other P5 schools announce their Conference only models

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - JMUNation - 07-20-2020 06:11 PM

(07-20-2020 02:03 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  Jeff Bourne being interviewed @ 4 O'Clock hour - https://www.radio.com/thefanrichmond/listen

Hey Booby, thanks for sharing this. It was a good interview. Bourne said 8 games was likely the max schedule with no more than two FBS games. He said he did not agree with the CAAs decision because the NCAA has not cancelled the football season nor the FCS playoffs yet. He remains open to a spring season but sounded like he did not feel that it would work at JMU and FBS schools who have significant support for college football. He said he was a traditionalist and liked football in the fall. He also said that football in the spring would depend on the ability to move some sports to the fall to balance out things for the athletics staff. These were interesting comments for me. He left the door open as he always does but it did not sound like he was for spring football. The spring football question came up because Wes McElroy reference a Brett Murphy article about the benefits of the FCS playing in the spring.

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 07-20-2020 07:21 PM

(07-20-2020 05:28 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Interesting...

Yahoo Sports College Football @YahooSportsCFB

Attendance at Rutgers football games will be limited to 500 in accordance with executive orders issued by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy

...I wonder if they will sell it out?

[Image: tenor.gif]

So outside of the family members that reluctantly show up for Rutgers games, will they be outside the stadium forcing 400 unwitting pedestrians to have to attend? Or will they entice 400 students with tuition credits?

RE: Tracking the return of JMU sports (no discussions of validity of covid pandemic) - Polish Hammer - 07-20-2020 07:22 PM

(07-20-2020 05:45 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Also as part of NJ Governor’s order there will be no fans at Jets & Giants home games until further notice/order. Hmmm....

NFL teams will survive because they get more of their money from TV and other sources while colleges rely on that gate revenue much more.