CSNbbs
WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+------ Forum: The Dan Burgardt Memorial Bronco Football Forum (/forum-489.html)
+------ Thread: WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament (/thread-896716.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament - ColinApocalypse - 03-25-2020 11:43 AM

My Bronco fandom doesn't stretch back as far as some of you, so it's hard for me to judge players from long ago.

That being said Corey Davis is the most dominant receiver I've seen at the MAC level. His stats were ridiculous and he still holds the NCAA career receiving yards record. All that with a team that still ran the ball quite a bit with Jarvion Franklin and Jamauri Bogan in the backfield.

I also find it hard to compare players from different positions. For example, Taylor Moton is probably the most dominant O-lineman I've seen in the MAC in my time as a fan. But unfortunately for those bubs up front, being very good means that your name is never called. How do you compare Moton's college career to Davis or Jason Babin or Bob Rowe?

If I had to pick one top player from the past 20 years or so, it would be Corey Davis. Not a doubt in my mind.

RE: WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament - MajorHoople - 03-25-2020 11:45 AM

In Bob Rowe's senior season (1966) we lost our MAC opener to Miami 26-9.

The next week we played BG, who along with Miami and Ohio had won every MAC title since Cincinnati left the league (BG and Miami shared it in '65). We had not beaten BG in last eleven tries.

Late in the game we were clinging to a 16-14 lead thanks to a Dale Livingston FG.

The Falcons got to our goalline. Three straight times they rammed their 240-lb. All-MAC FB Stew Williams into the line and each time Bob Rowe stopped him.

On 4th Down their QB, under pressure from Rowe, threw an incompletion and we hung on to win.

If we lose that game we don't win our first-ever MAC championship that year, the first school other than the aforementioned Ohio ones to do so.

RE: WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament - MileHighBronco - 03-25-2020 03:29 PM

(03-25-2020 06:46 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  
(03-25-2020 01:26 AM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Nobody is speaking about him so I will. Jerome Persell was an incredible player, very elusive, had some incredible moves. We did run the ball a LOT during the Uzelot regime. There were games where he had 40 carries. He was so elusive that he'd almost always break at least one long TD, if not more. He had many games over 200 yards. The fact that he was an All American several different years backs it up. He finished second in yardage one year to Tony Dorsett. You might have heard of him.

Good post-choice.

(Coach's name was Uzelac, not Uzelot).

Yeah, I knew that. When I was typing the post, had a brain fart. Persell might be the most elusive Bronco running back I've ever seen but since I left Kalamazoo in 1980, I never had a chance to see guys like Sanford or Faulkner.

RE: WMU football madness : Top 32 players in Bronco history tournament - Liam9903 - 03-27-2020 09:57 AM

Corey Davis is going to be our only college football hall of famer since he is the only consensus all american. Very important player in the programs history.