CSNbbs
*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** (/thread-886257.html)

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - justinhub2003 - 10-04-2022 05:09 PM

(10-03-2022 01:15 PM)pesik Wrote:  FOR FUN
[Image: Xn3zpjD.png]

how fo you think we do the first couple days

auto wins
- Chaminade at Cincinnati
- McNeese State at Tulane
- Texas A&M Commerce at SMU
- Cleveland State at Cincinnati
- Central Arkansas at Wichita State

comfortable win, but you cant say auto win
- Houston vs. Saint Joseph’s - a10 team in "neutral"
- Mercer at East Carolina -- mercer is bad but no ecu game is auto
- SE Missouri State at South Florida -- SE isnt good but no usf game is auto
- Wagner at Temple -- Wagner was good last year but rebuilding
- UMBC at Tulane

could be surprisingly competitive (projected good non brand mid majors)
UNC Asheville at UCF
Northern Colorado at Houston

Toss up
- Memphis at Vanderbilt - on paper memphis blowout win, but would have said the same about Georgia last year
- Tulsa at Oregon State - oregon state projected bad but so is tulsa

Major resume games
Florida State at UCF
SMU at Dayton

season defining winnable games as underdogs
Villanova at Temple
South Florida at Auburn

Here we frickin Go…

Pesik already hyping up Houston’s buy games to be title contenders… lol Northern Colorado is 231 in Bartovik’s preseason predictions. St Joe’s is 168!!!!

Lol, the yearly tradition

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 05:48 PM

(10-04-2022 05:09 PM)justinhub2003 Wrote:  

auto wins

- UMBC at Tulane

UNC Asheville at UCF

Toss up
- Memphis at Vanderbilt - on paper memphis blowout win, but would have said the same about Georgia last year

Major resume games
Florida State at UCF
SMU at Dayton

Villanova at Temple
South Florida at Auburn

Here we frickin Go…

Pesik already hyping up Houston’s buy games to be title contenders… lol Northern Colorado is 231 in Bartovik’s preseason predictions. St Joe’s is 168!!!!

lmao its a yearly tradition for CINCINNATI TO OVERHYPE its opponents...and then insult Houstons...

this whole "I overhype Houston's opponent" started when i said BYU was better than their preseason rankings 3 season ago.. and you (and mark) said they were trash...note i wasn't even saying they were that good ( i was saying they could be a bubble team/nit team).... note that byu team ended up top 10 that year, and the best team we played all year (covid cancelled post season - drastically better than i even anticipated)..and you guys railed on about how they were bad... mark said he would eat his show if they were a good defense.. they were a good defense (he never ate his shoe)

as far as Northern Colorado (and everyone else on that list.. i used preseason projections from preseason magazines). with advent of the transfer portal and mass transfers in midmajors kenpom preseason is basically useless now

if ecu and pitt played, based on your reasoning (kenpom) ecu would win, pitt with top 40 dior johnson, John Hugley (one of the nations best centers), nelly cummings (touted transfer pg that Cincinnati wanted) Jamarius Burton etc...

if cincy played ecu week 1 id put that in "comfortable win, but you cant say auto win"... if you played pitt id put that in "Toss up".. STEP UP YOUR PROGNOSTICATION GAME JUSTIN lol
northern colorado is projected 2nd in its league and returns Daylen Kountz who was top 10 nationally in scoring last season (top 5 returning in scoring), seen as a 24+ win team

inversely wagner is a good kenpom team but is projected a massive rebuild..

if i wanted to overhype an opponent on pure bias, we play saint joes, who is decent in kenpom, we play in neutral that is basically a home game for them...and they are from a good league, returning some notable players...i could have overhyped them.. but no prognostication has them good

BUT TO BE CLEAR- cincy fans overhype their opponents to be amazing... and attack when i say houston's opponent are passable...

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Tiger1983 - 10-04-2022 05:50 PM

auto wins

- UMBC at Tulane

UNC Asheville at UCF

Toss up

Major resume games
Florida State at UCF
SMU at Dayton

Villanova at Temple
South Florida at Auburn

Here we frickin Go…

Houston’s OOC schedule indicates they think they are already in the B12. 03-wink

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - bearcatmark - 10-04-2022 06:30 PM

(10-04-2022 05:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  ...

this whole "I overhype Houston's opponent" started when i said BYU was better than their preseason rankings 3 season ago.. and you (and mark) said they were trash...note i wasn't even saying they were that good ( i was saying they could be a bubble team/nit team).... note that byu team ended up top 10 that year, and the best team we played all year (covid cancelled post season - drastically better than i even anticipated)..and you guys railed on about how they were bad... mark said he would eat his show if they were a good defense.. they were a good defense (he never ate his shoe)
I never said BYU was trash. You constantly lie about what I say. I was incredibly skeptical they'd be a top 50 kenpom DEFENSE. I was wrong. They were a top.50 kenpom defense (the only time in the past decade byu had a Top 50 defense). But I never said or believed the were trash.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 06:55 PM

(10-04-2022 06:30 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(10-04-2022 05:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  ...

I never said BYU was trash. You constantly lie about what I say. I was incredibly skeptical they'd be a top 50 kenpom DEFENSE. I was wrong. They were a top.50 kenpom defense (the only time in the past decade byu had a Top 50 defense). But I never said or believed the were trash.

you didnt say trash overall... you said their defense wasnt good. in the midst of other uc fans saying the overall byu was trash.. i wouldnt have cared about saying they arent top 50.. i think it was you more insinuating it was crazy to even suggest thy had good defense.. (that's the clarification if that helps)

ps i wasnt even arguing byu was good which is craziest part, i just said they are better than their preseason projections and could see them a low seed ncaa team or NIT...and i was called an overhyper for it.... a team that ended up top 10 good, despite the end result still called an overhyper

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - bearcatmark - 10-04-2022 07:24 PM

They weren't top 10. Let's not exaggerate. They were a 6 seed that finished 20 kenpom. They were good (which wasn't that unexpected) but their defense was better than it has been every other year in the last decade (which did surprise me).

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - steves - 10-04-2022 07:33 PM

I'd like to add my 2 cents worth on Memphis at Vandy. It's called Memorial Gym.
1. The floor is raised on both sides. Fans sit right there and bang on the floor as well as it being a distraction ... Call it the fall off factor.
2. The benches are under the baskets. Another strange distraction. Think about how different those two things are for a visiting team.
Factor in opening game of the season with 14,000 hostile fans ... Not sure which paper Pesiks referring to but we could loose easily.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - stxrunner - 10-04-2022 07:59 PM

(10-04-2022 05:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  

auto wins

- UMBC at Tulane

UNC Asheville at UCF

Toss up

Major resume games
Florida State at UCF
SMU at Dayton

Villanova at Temple
South Florida at Auburn

Here we frickin Go…

lmao its a yearly tradition for CINCINNATI TO OVERHYPE its opponents...and then insult Houstons...

as far as Northern Colorado (and everyone else on that list.. i used preseason projections from preseason magazines). with advent of the transfer portal and mass transfers in midmajors kenpom preseason is basically useless now

if ecu and pitt played, based on your reasoning (kenpom) ecu would win, pitt with top 40 dior johnson, John Hugley (one of the nations best centers), nelly cummings (touted transfer pg that Cincinnati wanted) Jamarius Burton etc...

if cincy played ecu week 1 id put that in "comfortable win, but you cant say auto win"... if you played pitt id put that in "Toss up".. STEP UP YOUR PROGNOSTICATION GAME JUSTIN lol
northern colorado is projected 2nd in its league and returns Daylen Kountz who was top 10 nationally in scoring last season (top 5 returning in scoring), seen as a 24+ win team

if i wanted to overhype an opponent on pure bias, we play saint joes, who is decent in kenpom, we play in neutral that is basically a home game for them...and they are from a good league, returning some notable players...i could have overhyped them.. but no prognostication has them good

BUT TO BE CLEAR- cincy fans overhype their opponents to be amazing... and attack when i say houston's opponent are passable...

Almost universally, I’ve seen UC fans say our non con schedule is horrible this year outside of Maui and Xavier. I’ve seen no hype at all for our opponents.

Hyping up Northern Colorado is exactly what you always accused UC fans of doing though in the past (sometimes correctly to be fair). There’s no way we can think Houston is as good as we all think they are and then say Northern Colorado is going to be a problem. That’s just asinine. No top team like Houston should absolutely be this year should consider an opponent of that quality a tricky game.

You are absolutely overhyping opponents a bit here. Which isn’t a big deal, we’ve all done it, including UC fans in the past as you’ve pointed out.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - bearcatmark - 10-04-2022 08:18 PM

Jizzle James is going to be a Bearcat... the movement continues.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 08:31 PM

(10-04-2022 07:59 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  Almost universally, I’ve seen UC fans say our non con schedule is horrible this year outside of Maui and Xavier. I’ve seen no hype at all for our opponents.

Hyping up Northern Colorado is exactly what you always accused UC fans of doing though in the past (sometimes correctly to be fair). There’s no way we can think Houston is as good as we all think they are and then say Northern Colorado is going to be a problem. That’s just asinine. No top team like Houston should absolutely be this year should consider an opponent of that quality a tricky game.

You are absolutely overhyping opponents a bit here. Which isn’t a big deal, we’ve all done it, including UC fans in the past as you’ve pointed out.

i wasn't talking about this year but in general... "Illinois is a top 10 team".. and was bashed for saying they are fringe top 25 (which isnt even bad)..despire 2-2 at the time and had lost to a different un ranked team... i said fringe top 25..you would have thought i said bottom 50 team....whats even funny is at the time i literally said, alfonso plumber (utah transfer who was bench at the time) i said Illinois can be good if they make him a starter and he shot like he did at Utah, the current lineup was poot.. which is ultimately what happened

and this is my point --- you'd think i had northern Colorado as a "toss up" or "season defining" game!!!

"could be surprisingly competitive" is overhyping???

this is exactly like byu-- any remote VERY REASONABLE praise of a houston opponent is insulted .. Northern Colorado is a projected 24+ team with a top 5 returning national scorer... that all i said is they could be surprisingly competitive

and watch if you beat Arizona, how they are worst a top 5 team.....
my overhpying- "they arent that bad" ....cincy fan overhyping - "our win vs 1-4 teams is top 5"

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - bearcatmark - 10-04-2022 08:44 PM

This again. You said Illinois was a fringe top 25 team "AT BEST". you indicated they might miss the tournament. I said they were more likely to win the Big 10 than miss the tournament. (And they won the big 10)

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 08:50 PM

(10-04-2022 07:33 PM)steves Wrote:  I'd like to add my 2 cents worth on Memphis at Vandy. It's called Memorial Gym.
1. The floor is raised on both sides. Fans sit right there and bang on the floor as well as it being a distraction ... Call it the fall off factor.
2. The benches are under the baskets. Another strange distraction. Think about how different those two things are for a visiting team.
Factor in opening game of the season with 14,000 hostile fans ... Not sure which paper Pesiks referring to but we could loose easily.

roster makeup is the paper....Jordan Wright and liam robbins (who had a poor year last year- but touted 2 years ago) are the only 2 players of note returning and neither are that notable.. they are projected dead last in the SEC.. 8 of their 13 players are non blue chip freshmen or mid major transfers with not that notable stats (like 10 per game from greenbay )..you will be their 1st game in d1 or high major

on paper memphis should blow them out, your roster talent far outweighs theirs and you have tournament aspirations a universal top 45 team....but i also agreed that memphis could easily lose the game, thats why i said it was a tossup.. memphis has a history of struggling in the nonconference

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 08:58 PM

(10-04-2022 08:44 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  This again. You said Illinois was a fringe top 25 team "AT BEST". you indicated they might miss the tournament. I said they were more likely to win the Big 10 than miss the tournament. (And they won the big 10)

yes.. i said if alonso plumber did start putting up numbers like he did at utah and became a starter that they could turn around.. that the roster makeup wasnt good as is...that as is they could miss the tournament but they have a bench guard who has a proven track record at a high major that could turn them around, that they have to make him a starter... which happened!!! we had this conversation that same day

Illinois was a fringe top 25 team.. that team wasnt that good.. there was never a top 10 Illinois .. they were the most bet against team in the tournament because no one thought they were that good and barely survived round one --- to be fair no one thought houston was that good either and wasnt far behind Illinois in bets

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 10-04-2022 10:46 PM

the interesting thing about UC class is that its making a cohesive team .. no offense to memphis, they have some super elite class but a ton of the players were clashing, they bring in 5 super outed wings and 2 centers

cincy is putting together a class but of all different skill sets and sizes the last 2 classes

defensive wing (with 3 and d potential) , stretch 4, a tall shooting guard, and now a more dynamic combo guard... targeting a true PG ...
still need a center and collier isnt guaranteed but the class is coming together

read an article yesterday that chad dollar is the one orchestrating everything... curious if some big schools target him after the season, with such big splashes

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 10-05-2022 04:26 AM

Question: Do you agree with Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm, at this point, that Tulane is probably going to be the team to beat for a NCAA tournament bid #3 for the American Athletic Conference next Spring?

Question: How likely do you think it might be that the AAC could be a 4-bid conference this year?

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 10-05-2022 04:29 AM

My view on the above questions is that Tulane is probably the team to beat if the AAC only gets three NCAA bids, and that there is about a 50/50 chance that the AAC will be a 4-bid conference this coming season.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - SadderBudweiser - 10-05-2022 06:52 AM

(10-04-2022 07:33 PM)steves Wrote:  I'd like to add my 2 cents worth on Memphis at Vandy. It's called Memorial Gym.

It’s a venue you should see a game at if you can. But I don’t think “hostile” is the right description for the fans. And do they sell out? Maybe those two things will be true for an in-state matchup. They were not when I saw SMU beat them there a couple years ago.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - SadderBudweiser - 10-05-2022 06:56 AM

SMU: October 11 open practice for press/media with Lanier Q&A after.

Should erase at least a few unknowns.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - justinhub2003 - 10-05-2022 09:11 AM

(10-04-2022 05:48 PM)pesik Wrote:  

auto wins

- UMBC at Tulane

UNC Asheville at UCF

Toss up

Major resume games
Florida State at UCF
SMU at Dayton

Villanova at Temple
South Florida at Auburn

Here we frickin Go…

The Basketball Almanac (Three man weave, field of 68 writers) picked Northern Colorado to finish 3rd in its shity league.. How bad is the big Sky? well its the 25th rated conference out of 32.. so finishing 3rd means Houston should absolutely steam roll them. Any thing less than that is a huge Disappointment.

But since you have Hyped up Northern Colorado... I guess UC has justification to hype up @NKU, Bryant, LaSalle.... All those teams are multiple spots higher ranked than Northern Colorado and 2 are better than St Joe's

And why are Bartovik and Kenpom useless now? They literally use the roster to evaluate the returners, coaching style, transfers and Highly rated Freshman.

Northern Colorado returning all 5 starters and getting 3 transfers from a team that finished tied for last place last year in the league, does NOT make them good. Houston will crush them. IF its not by more than 20 its a huge disappointment.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - BcatMatt13 - 10-05-2022 09:36 AM

(10-04-2022 10:46 PM)pesik Wrote:  the interesting thing about UC class is that its making a cohesive team .. no offense to memphis, they have some super elite class but a ton of the players were clashing, they bring in 5 super outed wings and 2 centers

cincy is putting together a class but of all different skill sets and sizes the last 2 classes

defensive wing (with 3 and d potential) , stretch 4, a tall shooting guard, and now a more dynamic combo guard... targeting a true PG ...
still need a center and collier isnt guaranteed but the class is coming together

read an article yesterday that chad dollar is the one orchestrating everything... curious if some big schools target him after the season, with such big splashes

Apparently UC has quite a bit of NIL money to throw around for Men’s Basketball. Not sure where it’s coming from obviously but Wes Miller has been flying around on recruiting trips on a private jet and I’m pretty sure none of UC’s previous coaches have had that perk. So it would be appear UC has some big donors throwing some money behind Wes and the program right now.