CSNbbs
*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** (/thread-886257.html)

*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - justinhub2003 - 09-20-2022 09:56 PM

(09-20-2022 08:21 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 08:10 PM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 07:30 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 06:57 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 06:46 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Aye, but bupkis over the past two seasons.

The point being this: Would you rather be Kentucky with Calipari or Houston with Sampson at this point? I would prefer to be Houston with Sampson.
Either is fine. Complaining about either would be good problems to have n

Kentucky has only won 22.5 games per year (2019-2022), on average, and have only made it past the first round once.

Houston has won 29.0, and has made it to the Sweet 16 or better every year.

To me, Sampson vs. Calipari is somewhat similar to the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare. Building up a quality program gradually with team players may surpass quick builds with young one-and-done players over time.

The SEC has also been a significantly tougher basketball conference than the 2 bid AAC over that stretch.

True, but how do you explain the fact that Houston has made it to the Sweet 16 or better in the past 3 NCAA tournaments, while Kentucky has only done so once in the past 3 tournaments?

At this point, I'd take Sampson over Calipari, any time.

What’s Ralph Sampson have to do with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - justinhub2003 - 09-20-2022 09:59 PM

Should Ralph Sampson be worried he brought in a 5 star that could disrupt the team?

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-20-2022 10:37 PM

(09-20-2022 08:35 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 07:30 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 06:57 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Either is fine. Complaining about either would be good problems to have n

Kentucky has only won 22.5 games per year (2019-2022), on average, and have only made it past the first round once.

To me, Sampson vs. Calipari is somewhat similar to the tale of the Tortoise and the Hare. Building up a quality program gradually with team players may surpass quick builds with young one-and-done players over time.

The SEC has also been a significantly tougher basketball conference than the 2 bid AAC over that stretch.

True, but how do you explain the fact that Houston has made it to the Sweet 16 or better in the past 3 NCAA tournaments, while Kentucky has only done so once in the past 3 tournaments?

Look at it by year.
2019: Kentucky makes an E8 beating UH in the S16
2020: They were probably going to be a 3 or 4 seed with an excellent shot at making a S16 while UH was projected as 6 or 7 seed. That tourney gets cancelled.
2021: They have a down year and miss the NCAAT for the 2nd time under Cal.
2022: They get a #2 seed and get upset in the first round (it happens)

So basically they were better than UH in at least 2 or 3 of those seasons. Last year they had a good team that underperformed in the tourney. Even Coach K had years like that. It doesn't mean the whole season is a failure. Tony Bennet had a 31-2 team that earned a #1 seed and got upset by a #16 seed a few years ago. You know what happened the next season? They won the championship. Same thing could happen for Kentucky this year.

Kentucky went 9-16 in 2020-21. Houston went to the Final Four.
Kentucky was one and done in 2022. Houston went to the elite eight.

I rest my case.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - WhoseHouse? - 09-20-2022 11:41 PM

(09-20-2022 10:37 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 07:30 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  Kentucky has only won 22.5 games per year (2019-2022), on average, and have only made it past the first round once.

Look at it by year.
2020: They were probably going to be a 3 or 4 seed with an excellent shot at making a S16 while UH was projected as 6 or 7 seed. That tourney gets cancelled.

So basically they were better than UH in at least 2 or 3 of those seasons. Last year they had a good team that underperformed in the tourney. Even Coach K had years like that. It doesn't mean the whole season is a failure. Tony Bennet had a 31-2 team that earned a #1 seed and got upset by a #16 seed a few years ago. You know what happened the next season? They won the championship. Same thing could happen for Kentucky this year.

I rest my case.

Look we had a better tourney run last year no question but Kentucky had as good of a season if not better. Them getting upset in the tournament is just part of March Madness. In the grand scheme it means nothing. As the Virginia example shows they could bounce back and win the whole thing this season. I expect UH to be great this season and to compete for a title. I expect Kentucky to do the same. Both schools are preseason top 5. So if your point is that CKS has UH on par with Coach Cal's program at Kentucky I can buy that. But it seems like you're trying to use the covid year and one fluke tournament game to suggest that Kentucky is no longer one of the premiere programs in the country which is ridiculous.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-21-2022 02:47 AM

(09-20-2022 11:41 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 08:10 PM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  The SEC has also been a significantly tougher basketball conference than the 2 bid AAC over that stretch.

Look at it by year.

I rest my case.

Look we had a better tourney run last year no question but Kentucky had as good of a season if not better. Them getting upset in the tournament is just part of March Madness. In the grand scheme it means nothing. As the Virginia example shows they could bounce back and win the whole thing this season. I expect UH to be great this season and to compete for a title. I expect Kentucky to do the same. Both schools are preseason top 5. So if your point is that CKS has UH on par with Coach Cal's program at Kentucky I can buy that. But it seems like you're trying to use the covid year and one fluke tournament game to suggest that Kentucky is no longer one of the premiere programs in the country which is ridiculous.

Actually, I am not suggesting that Kentucky is no longer a top 20 quality program. They certainly are.

What I am arguing is that, given their incredible recruiting record, Kentucky has underperformed to a certain extent since 2015 (see data below), and particularly over the past two seasons.

They went 9-16 in 2021, and they were upset in the first round of the NCAA tournament by 15 seed Saint Peters. That is the very definition of "underperforming" for - as you put it - one of the "premiere" programs in the nation.

My broader point is that recruiting blue chip "one and done" types of players has only brought Kentucky one NCAA championship - - A FULL DECADE AGO - - and a good, but not outstanding NCAA tournament record.

They've done ok, but a lot of people would have expected them to have done better. That's my point.

Their peak period under Calipari was from 2010 to 2015:

2011 NCAA Semifinalist (Final Four)
2012 NCAA Champions
2013 (Did not play in NCAA tournament)
2014 NCAA Finalist
2015 NCAA Semifinalist (Final Four)

NCAA wins (2011-2015): 19 wins (3.8 NCAA wins per season)

Their program's performance since then has been somewhat less remarkable:

2016 One and done (lost their second round game)
2017 Elite Eight
2018 Sweet 16
2019 Elite Eight
2020 NO NCAA TOURNAMENT
2021 9-16 (Did not play in NCAA tournament)
2022 Lost First Round Game

NCAA wins (2016-2022): 8 wins (1.3 NCAA wins per season)

That's a 65.8% decrease in NCAA wins per season since 2015.

There have been few basketball programs that have had the kind of recruiting success that Kentucky has had over the past 50 years, but here is what is possible for a Head Coach who is not only a fine recruiter, but who has the good fortune to retain quality players for four years (in his case, because his players weren't able to turn pro til after finishing college):

UCLA - John Wooden (1964-1975):

1964 NCAA Champions
1965 NCAA Champions
1966 (Did not play in NCAA tournament)
1967 NCAA Champions
1968 NCAA Champions
1969 NCAA Champions
1970 NCAA Champions
1971 NCAA Champions
1972 NCAA Champions
1973 NCAA Champions
1974 NCAA Champions
1975 NCAA Champions

The point isn't that Calipari is a poor Head Coach (he clearly isn't), but that in the era of "one and done players," the strategy of relying on the "one and done player" to take a team to a national championship may not necessarily be the best one.

Over the past two seasons, Coach Sampson has proven to many observers that his way may be the better way. Some have even described Coach Sampson as the best Head Coach in college basketball. They may be right.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - BcatMatt13 - 09-21-2022 05:24 AM

(09-21-2022 02:47 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 08:21 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  True, but how do you explain the fact that Houston has made it to the Sweet 16 or better in the past 3 NCAA tournaments, while Kentucky has only done so once in the past 3 tournaments?

Look at it by year.

I rest my case.

Actually, I am not suggesting that Kentucky is no longer a top 20 quality program. They certainly are.

What I am arguing is that, given their incredible recruiting record, Kentucky has underperformed to a certain extent since 2015 (see data below), and particularly over the past two seasons.

They went 9-16 in 2021, and they were upset in the first round of the NCAA tournament by 15 seed Saint Peters. That is the very definition of "underperforming" for - as you put it - one of the "premiere" programs in the nation.

My broader point is that recruiting blue chip "one and done" types of players has only brought Kentucky one NCAA championship - - A FULL DECADE AGO - - and a good, but not outstanding NCAA tournament record.

They've done ok, but a lot of people would have expected them to have done better. That's my point.

2012 NCAA Champions
2014 NCAA Finalist

2017 Elite Eight
2018 Sweet 16
2019 Elite Eight
2020 NO NCAA TOURNAMENT

There have been few basketball programs that have had the kind of recruiting success that Kentucky has had over the past 50 years, but here is what is possible for a Head Coach who is not only a fine recruiter, but who has the good fortune to retain quality players for four years (in his case, because his players weren't able to turn pro til after finishing college):

1964 NCAA Champions
1965 NCAA Champions
1967 NCAA Champions
1968 NCAA Champions
1969 NCAA Champions
1970 NCAA Champions
1971 NCAA Champions
1972 NCAA Champions
1973 NCAA Champions
1974 NCAA Champions
1975 NCAA Champions

The point isn't that Calipari is a poor Head Coach (he clearly isn't), but that in the era of "one and done players," the strategy of relying on the "one and done player" to take a team to a national championship may not necessarily be the best one.

Over the past two seasons, Coach Sampson has proven to many observers that his way may be the better way. Some have even described Coach Sampson as the best Head Coach in college basketball. They may be right.

Except that wasn’t what you originally said. You said Take Kentucky for example. One and dones can be disruptive of a program.

*** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - justinhub2003 - 09-21-2022 09:45 AM

(09-21-2022 02:47 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  
(09-20-2022 08:21 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  True, but how do you explain the fact that Houston has made it to the Sweet 16 or better in the past 3 NCAA tournaments, while Kentucky has only done so once in the past 3 tournaments?

Look at it by year.

I rest my case.

2012 NCAA Champions
2014 NCAA Finalist

2017 Elite Eight
2018 Sweet 16
2019 Elite Eight
2020 NO NCAA TOURNAMENT

1964 NCAA Champions
1965 NCAA Champions
1967 NCAA Champions
1968 NCAA Champions
1969 NCAA Champions
1970 NCAA Champions
1971 NCAA Champions
1972 NCAA Champions
1973 NCAA Champions
1974 NCAA Champions
1975 NCAA Champions

But no one in this current league is going to recruit like UK did.

If UC and Houston are nabbing 5 stars, they will be surrounded by returning experience.

Elite talent, plus experience plus transfers is the winning formula.

Wes Miller is playing high stakes poker: but he isn’t just going to run a bunch of freshman out there.

If this breaks UC’s way the way we hope it can, UC will have elite talent, mixed with experienced returning starters and an experienced transfer.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 09-21-2022 04:04 PM

the composite FULL aac schedule
http://theamerican.org/documents/2022/9/21//22_23_Conference_Composite.pdf?id=10015

tulsa puts out schedule the same day
[Image: FdNKXhmaIAAzvuq?format=jpg&name=small]

not amazing but alot better than i expected

Myrtle Beach Invitational

oregon state
oklahoma state
oral roberts
detriot mercy

only using 11 of the 13 games OOC... again not great but you could make an ncaa tourney off of this if they came out with a great record

top to bottom the best scheduled aac year yet... the only truly BAD schedule is Tulane (which is disappointing for a team with expectation)

non con SOS rankings
1) memphis
2) temple
3) houston
4) ucf
5) cincy - carried by Maui
6) smu
7) Wichita
8) usf
9) Tulsa
10) ECU
11) Tulane

as far as the conference schedule im intrigued by the 1st 5 games of tulane and memphis...memphis schedule being so hard tulane being so easy.. and both play each other in that span along with temple

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Tiger1983 - 09-21-2022 04:15 PM

Tiger’s 2022-2023 BB Schedule

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - TripleA - 09-21-2022 04:23 PM

(09-21-2022 04:15 PM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Tiger’s 2022-2023 BB Schedule

Oct. 23 4 p.m. CHRISTIAN BROTHERS (exhibition) TBA
Oct. 30 1 p.m. LANE COLLEGE (exhibition) TBA
Nov. 7 TBA at Vanderbilt TBA
Nov. 15 TBA at Saint Louis TBA
Nov. 20 4 p.m. VCU ESPN+
Nov. 24 6:30 p.m. vs. Seton Hall (ESPN Events Invitational in Orlando) ESPNEWS
Nov. 25 4:30 or 7 p.m. vs. Oklahoma or Nebraska (ESPN Events Invitational in Orlando) ESPN2 or ESPNEWS
Nov. 27 TBA vs. Florida State or Stanford or Ole Miss or Siena (ESPN Events Invitational in Orlando) TBA
Nov. 30 7 p.m. NORTH ALABAMA ESPN+
Dec. 3 6:30 p.m. OLE MISS ESPN2
Dec. 6 7 p.m. LITTLE ROCK ESPN+
Dec. 10 TBA Auburn (Holiday Hoopsgiving at State Farm Arena in Atlanta) TBA
Dec. 13 TBA at Alabama TBA
Dec. 17 6 p.m. TEXAS A&M ESPNU
Dec. 21 7 p.m. ALABAMA STATE ESPN+
Dec. 29 7 p.m. SOUTH FLORIDA* ESPN+
Jan. 1 4 p.m. at Tulane* ESPN2/ESPNU
Jan. 7 1 p.m. EAST CAROLINA* ESPN+
Jan. 11 6 p.m. at UCF* ESPN+
Jan. 15 2 p.m. at Temple* ESPN2
Jan. 19 6 p.m. WICHITA STATE* ESPN2/ESPNU
Jan. 22 Noon at Cincinnati* ESPN2
Jan. 26 6 p.m. SMU* ESPN2
Jan. 29 4 p.m. at Tulsa* ESPN2
Feb. 4 1 p.m. TULANE* ESPN2/ESPNU
Feb. 8 6 p.m. at South Florida* ESPN+
Feb. 12 11 a.m. TEMPLE* ESPN2
Feb. 16 7 p.m. UCF* ESPN+
Feb. 19 2 p.m. at Houston* ESPN
Feb. 23 6 p.m. at Wichita State* ESPN2
Feb. 26 Noon CINCINNATI* ESPN
March 2 8 p.m. at SMU* ESPN2
March 5 11 a.m. HOUSTON* CBS

Home games in all caps; *American Athletic Conference game, all games CT

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - ECUGrad07 - 09-21-2022 04:24 PM

[Image: 11330083.png]

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 09-21-2022 06:08 PM

top 100 4star Jacob McFarland is commiting on friday

[Image: 0a556c0782a4b022dc09af38950ff9e6028e0189_2_517x750.jpeg]

(in the new espn 100 and #99 in top247...rivals150 not updated yet, be he is expected to be top 100 there too when updated )

if houston lands him, he will be the tallest HS commit in the sampson era at 6'11

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-21-2022 07:12 PM

Temple's schedule:

Mon, Nov 7 vs Wagner
Fri, Nov 11 vs Villanova
Tue, Nov 15 vs Vanderbilt
Fri, Nov 18 vs Rutgers
Mon, Nov 21 vs St. John's
Tues, Nov 22 vs Syracuse/Richmond
Sun, Nov 27 vs Drexel
Wed, Nov 30 @ La Salle
Sat, Dec 3 vs VCU
Tue, Dec 6 vs Saint Joseph's
Sat, Dec 10 @ Pennsylvania
Sat, Dec 17 @ Ole Miss
Tue, Dec 20 vs Maryland-Eastern Shore
Wed, Dec 28 @ East Carolina
Sun, Jan 1 vs Cincinnati
Wed, Jan 4 @ South Florida
Sat, Jan 7 vs Tulane
Tue, Jan 10 @Tulsa
Sun, Jan 15 vs Memphis
Wed, Jan 18 vs East Carolina
Sun, Jan 22 @ Houston
Wed, Jan 25 vs South Florida
Sat, Jan 28 @ UCF
Sun, Feb 5 vs Houston
Wed, Feb 8 @ SMU
Sun, Feb 12 @ Memphis
Thu, Feb 16 vs Wichita State
Sun, Feb 19 vs Tulsa
Wed, Feb 22 @ Cincinnati
Thu, Mar 2 vs UCF
Sun, Mar 5 @Tulane

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - JFlight21 - 09-21-2022 09:38 PM

(09-21-2022 06:08 PM)pesik Wrote:  top 100 4star Jacob McFarland is commiting on friday

(in the new espn 100 and #99 in top247...rivals150 not updated yet, be he is expected to be top 100 there too when updated )

if houston lands him, he will be the tallest HS commit in the sampson era at 6'11
Where is he leaning?

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 09-21-2022 10:01 PM

(09-21-2022 09:38 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 06:08 PM)pesik Wrote:  top 100 4star Jacob McFarland is commiting on friday

Where is he leaning?

no strong sources either way, but many are thinking Houston.. he only recently started blowing up (The last month or so). we are the only big team thats been on him for a while.. his other big offers came in too late (Gonzaga, lsu etc.)

there are a ton of soft predictions for houston, but no one is standing firm on those...but noting we already have a top 60 center committed (even though he is only 6'7 but still a center like him)..and with tic tok today kids record everything, took us on all his officials ...and just based off excitement they seemed really wow'd with the extravagance of their georgia visit, if that means anything

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-21-2022 10:27 PM

(09-21-2022 10:01 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 09:38 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  

Where is he leaning?

no strong sources either way, but many are thinking Houston.. he only recently started blowing up (The last month or so). we are the only big team thats been on him for a while.. his other big offers came in too late (Gonzaga, lsu etc.)

there are a ton of soft predictions for houston, but no one is standing firm on those...but noting we already have a top 60 center committed (even though he is only 6'7 but still a center like him)..and with tic tok today kids record everything, took us on all his officials ...and just based off excitement they seemed really wow'd with the extravagance of their georgia visit, if that means anything

I'd be shocked if he doesn't choose to play at Houston. Wyoming? Georgia BB?

And when he does play at Houston, he won't be playing in the AAC.

PESIK - THE 2021 SEASON IS OVER. YOUR BANNER PHOTO ACROSS THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POSTS IS "DATE EXPIRED."

enough already...no need to be such a homer, dude...

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - pesik - 09-21-2022 11:17 PM

(09-21-2022 10:27 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  PESIK - THE 2021 SEASON IS OVER. YOUR BANNER PHOTO ACROSS THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POSTS IS "DATE EXPIRED."

lol this is like the 3rd time you've tried to force me to change my banner, im not sure why it bothers you so much...
i normally change it whenever the new poster is released which hasnt been released yet

but for you ill switch it to something football for now till the new poster is released...

i dont get the "such a homer".. for not constantly changing my banner? thats a weird take

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-21-2022 11:40 PM

(09-21-2022 11:17 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 10:27 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  PESIK - THE 2021 SEASON IS OVER. YOUR BANNER PHOTO ACROSS THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POSTS IS "DATE EXPIRED."

lol this is like the 3rd time you've tried to force me to change my banner, im not sure why it bothers you so much...
i normally change it whenever the new poster is released which hasnt been released yet

but for you ill switch it to something football for now till the new poster is released...

i dont get the "such a homer".. for not constantly changing my banner? thats a weird take

I'm sure I wasn't the only fan who got tired of seeing that banner every single day.

Dude, of course, it's a "homer" thing to post a photo of your team in every post. You're one of the only people who does it. Nobody wants to look at a bunch of snarly guys. Why not post a photo of your team's sexiest cheerleaders, instead? We're men.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - WhoseHouse? - 09-21-2022 11:49 PM

(09-21-2022 11:40 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

I'm sure I wasn't the only fan who got tired of seeing that banner every single day.

Dude, of course, it's a "homer" thing to post a photo of your team in every post. You're one of the only people who does it. Nobody wants to look at a bunch of snarly guys. Why not post a photo of your team's sexiest cheerleaders, instead? We're men.

Its weird that you care at all. Pretty sure there's a setting to make it to where you dont see other peoples sigs.

RE: *** Basketball News Thread (Part 4) *** - Milwaukee - 09-22-2022 12:03 AM

(09-21-2022 11:49 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(09-21-2022 11:40 PM)Milwaukee Wrote:  

Its weird that you care at all. Pretty sure there's a setting to make it to where you dont see other peoples sigs.

Of course - you're a Houston fan, like Pesik. I like Houston, but that was a photograph of a bunch of snarling guys. I'd rather see UH's cheerleaders instead.

If every poster posted an ugly team photo, you'd get pretty sick of it I'm sure. Or maybe not - if you like looking at sexy guys in skimpy uniforms. I prefer babes.