CSNbbs
2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel (/thread-864515.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - marcuscan - 12-29-2018 06:24 PM

(12-29-2018 04:41 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 04:20 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 03:48 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 03:44 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Reports are that UH is firing Major Applewhite. Dana Holgorsen is the leading candidate to replace him

Why would he take that job? Is there a decent barber in Houston?

Because Dana is on the WVU hot seat.

Holgy was looking at the Texas Tech job a few weeks back. Sounds like he knows his time in Morgantown is coming close to an end.

This was a rumour on the UH board not long after their blowout loss in the bowl game. Apparently this is a role he's had interest in before. The reason is because he and the big money booster at Houston are close person friends. He's true to woo Dana many times and now the stars are aligning.

It doesn't sound like his seat was at all hot at WVU tho. More of a thing where he feels he's done all he can do.

mc

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - BearcatJerry - 12-29-2018 06:53 PM

(12-29-2018 06:24 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 03:48 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 03:44 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Reports are that UH is firing Major Applewhite. Dana Holgorsen is the leading candidate to replace him

Why would he take that job? Is there a decent barber in Houston?

Holgy was looking at the Texas Tech job a few weeks back. Sounds like he knows his time in Morgantown is coming close to an end.

This was a rumour on the UH board not long after their blowout loss in the bowl game. Apparently this is a role he's had interest in before. The reason is because he and the big money booster at Houston are close person friends. He's true to woo Dana many times and now the stars are aligning.

It doesn't sound like his seat was at all hot at WVU tho. More of a thing where he feels he's done all he can do.

mc

His seat's not "hot" at WVU because he has a ridiculous buy-out in the contract he got extended last year. It's simply a matter of money at the moment. You watch programs like Kansas that were paying multiple buy-outs for coaches at the same time while having to go "on the cheap" for the current HC, and it makes you leery of paying big money to just get a guy out of the seat.

But let me tell you, there is no love for Dana Holgerson in Morgantown at the moment. And next season looks to be pretty tough. If Holgs wants "out," I guarantee you the administration will do everything possible to facilitate his move.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - marcuscan - 12-29-2018 07:12 PM

(12-29-2018 06:53 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 03:48 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Why would he take that job? Is there a decent barber in Houston?

mc

His seat's not "hot" at WVU because he has a ridiculous buy-out in the contract he got extended last year. It's simply a matter of money at the moment. You watch programs like Kansas that were paying multiple buy-outs for coaches at the same time while having to go "on the cheap" for the current HC, and it makes you leery of paying big money to just get a guy out of the seat.

But let me tell you, there is no love for Dana Holgerson in Morgantown at the moment. And next season looks to be pretty tough. If Holgs wants "out," I guarantee you the administration will do everything possible to facilitate his move.

His buy out drops to just 1M on the first of 2019. That's what's allowing Tilman and UH work their way into the situation.

That said, I can totally see how this would be a mutually beneficial outcome for all parties involved. Will Grier is out and a fun as those years were Dana won no hardware, and why bother to rebuild there when you can go to Houston and be seen as a savior. They will love him, and gladly accept his style of play. I suspect he'd do very well there.

mc

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - BearcatJerry - 12-29-2018 07:26 PM

(12-29-2018 07:12 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 06:53 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 04:20 PM)doss2 Wrote:  Because Dana is on the WVU hot seat.

mc

His buy out drops to just 1M on the first of 2019. That's what's allowing Tilman and UH work their way into the situation.

That said, I can totally see how this would be a mutually beneficial outcome for all parties involved. Will Grier is out and a fun as those years were Dana won no hardware, and why bother to rebuild there when you can go to Houston and be seen as a savior. They will love him, and gladly accept his style of play. I suspect he'd do very well there.

mc

I was going to say, "I'm not trying to argue, but..." but clearly I am. All I can say is that Dana is one of those coaches who is better suited to a coordinator role rather than sitting in the big-chair. Even leading up to the game last night, Dana said he was enjoying "calling the plays" instead of all the other "crap" that goes into Head Coaching. Those were his words.

He's a very good Offensive Coordinator. I didn't see anything from his years at WVU that lead me to think he's anything beyond a mediocre Head Coach. I think he's one of those guys who is just better in a defined role than trying to manage a whole program.

Maybe we'll see what a change of scenery can do for Holgs. I'm not particularly scared about UC having to go up against him year-in-and-year-out.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - JackieTreehorn - 12-29-2018 09:02 PM

Houston Becomes Laughingstock of NCAA in Lusting after Big 12

Pete Thamel not too kind about Houston's coaching moves...

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - marcuscan - 12-29-2018 09:14 PM

(12-29-2018 09:02 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Houston Becomes Laughingstock of NCAA in Lusting after Big 12

Saw this, and gotta say that Pete comes across as kinda a clown here. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

He's trying to act as though there is honor among theives. These veiled swipes at aspiring programs who dare to make the exact.same. moves. other bigger programs make all the time. How dare a billionaire booster throw around his might!!! Guess Pete isn't too familiar with a lil conference called the SEC, where boosters call shots frequently.

I'm sooooo sure this move harms their already slim chance to get in the B12. O_o

If Houston suddenly blew up and rallied the City of Houston behind them in a significantly large way that more viewership was coming in and more dollars to be had the B12 wouldn't hesitate to co-op them and cash in. Cuz, capitalism. No one cares about these faux gentleman rules.

mc

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Billy_Bearcat - 12-29-2018 09:22 PM

(12-29-2018 09:02 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  Houston Becomes Laughingstock of NCAA in Lusting after Big 12

Thamel sounds like McMurphy, running cover for the old boys club.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - JackieTreehorn - 12-29-2018 09:26 PM

(12-29-2018 09:14 PM)marcuscan Wrote:  

Saw this, and gotta say that Pete comes across as kinda a clown here. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

He's trying to act as though there is honor among theives. These veiled swipes at aspiring programs who dare to make the exact.same. moves. other bigger programs make all the time. How dare a billionaire booster throw around his might!!! Guess Pete isn't too familiar with a lil conference called the SEC, where boosters call shots frequently.

I'm sooooo sure this move harms their already slim chance to get in the B12. O_o

If Houston suddenly blew up and rallied the City of Houston behind them in a significantly large way that more viewership was coming in and more dollars to be had the B12 wouldn't hesitate to co-op them and cash in. Cuz, capitalism. No one cares about these faux gentleman rules.

mc

Not sure how pointing out that Houston saying they fire coaches who only go 8-4 and at the same time courting a coach( who's a pal of a billionaire benefactor) who seems to specialize in going 8-4 more often than not makes the reporter a clown.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - geef - 12-29-2018 09:56 PM

(12-29-2018 09:22 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Not sure if that comparison works - McMurphy was as about as unprofessional as it comes (I hate to admit) in his coverage of Ohio State. And Ohio State is as old boy as it comes.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Billy_Bearcat - 12-30-2018 12:07 AM

(12-29-2018 09:56 PM)geef Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 09:22 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Not sure if that comparison works - McMurphy was as about as unprofessional as it comes (I hate to admit) in his coverage of Ohio State. And Ohio State is as old boy as it comes.

That was because he has a hard on for Urban.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - marcuscan - 12-30-2018 02:00 AM

(12-29-2018 09:26 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

mc

Not sure how pointing out that Houston saying they fire coaches who only go 8-4 and at the same time courting a coach( who's a pal of a billionaire benefactor) who seems to specialize in going 8-4 more often than not makes the reporter a clown.

Let's not kid ourselves. That wasn't his only point in this article.

Yes, it's true that Dana hasn't exceeded that record much at WVU. It's about the only cogent point in this article. And even still....not the best argument. Les Miles had won 114 games against 34 L's at LSU for a .77 winning pct AND WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and he was replaced by Coach O. A guy with a losing winning pct. Where was Pete then? Railing against a school who was souring on a coach they felt wasn't prepared to ascend any further.

The rest smacks of, 'stay in your lane lil guy, don't you dare attempt to do what the big boys do.'

You guys are tryna ball on a budget...how cute you're trying to wait out Dana's buyout clause discount. You guys look dumb for trying to get a coach who's more seasoned, and an upgrade. It's ridiculous to try to have ambition for something greater and act accordingly. People are laughing at you. Your lady prez made a 10-2 silly statement.

Definitely running cover for the big boys. Everything is, 'stay in your lane and be happy with the guys you have.' We applaud the LSUs, Florida's, and the like who take bold actions and can guys who've had similar success as CMA at Houston. We accept that, 'at those schools more is expected of you.' But we're going to rail on a G5 school how dares act the same? Meh.

It's a clown article. Sorry.

mc

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - JackieTreehorn - 12-30-2018 06:33 AM

(12-30-2018 02:00 AM)marcuscan Wrote:  

mc

Yes, it's true that Dana hasn't exceeded that record much at WVU. It's about the only cogent point in this article. And even still....not the best argument. Les Miles had won 114 games against 34 L's at LSU for a .77 winning pct AND WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and he was replaced by Coach O. A guy with a losing winning pct. Where was Pete then? Railing against a school who was souring on a coach they felt wasn't prepared to ascend any further.

The rest smacks of, 'stay in your lane lil guy, don't you dare attempt to do what the big boys do.'

You guys are tryna ball on a budget...how cute you're trying to wait out Dana's buyout clause discount. You guys look dumb for trying to get a coach who's more seasoned, and an upgrade. It's ridiculous to try to have ambition for something greater and act accordingly. People are laughing at you. Your lady prez made a 10-2 silly statement.

Definitely running cover for the big boys. Everything is, 'stay in your lane and be happy with the guys you have.' We applaud the LSUs, Florida's, and the like who take bold actions and can guys who've had similar success as CMA at Houston. We accept that, 'at those schools more is expected of you.' But we're going to rail on a G5 school how dares act the same? Meh.

mc

His point about the buyout was that it's bush league to let your current coach twist in the wind while you publicly wait for the buyout to drop for the mediocre guy your biggest donor wants to replace him.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - doss2 - 12-30-2018 08:47 AM

If Holgorsen leaves for another job, he would owe West Virginia between $1 million and $3 million depending on his departure date.

Since it drops on Jan 1 waiting a few days is good business sense and Timan is a smart businessman.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Racinejake - 12-30-2018 08:52 AM

(12-30-2018 06:33 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

mc

mc

His point about the buyout was that it's bush league to let your current coach twist in the wind while you publicly wait for the buyout to drop for the mediocre guy your biggest donor wants to replace him.

Still don't see what the big deal is. Applewhite is being paid a lot of money. He'll be fine. If Houston is trying to save a few dollars by waiting a little longer to get their guy then so be it. It's a non story IMO.

And also many of the 'big' schools have big boosters who pull the strings. Many in the Big 12 actually.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - marcuscan - 12-30-2018 09:01 AM

(12-30-2018 06:33 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

mc

mc

He knows not what has been communicated to CMA. Could he be blowing in the wind? Perhaps. He is also just as likely to haven been given a heads up. None of us know. It's pretty hard to argue that CMA had no awareness of what's going on. Or do we really think those of us on message boards are more aware than him?!? People get fired all the time, and asked to hold back on departing. I don't know this to be the case here, but again....it's just as likely as the alternative.

Also hard to argue that, Dana, is mediocre seeing how even, Pete himself argued that Dana is a good coach.

Also, as just noted....it's good business. Why blow 1.5M just to show you can?!?

mc

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - CliftonAve - 12-30-2018 09:11 AM

Agree with Marcuscan and others here. Thanel’s article read as if it was written by the guy who posted as JML on the CR board. Thamel did everything but call them Coog High. He Houston’s even comments on how Houston is perceived by other Big 12 schools— seriously with the exception of 2 schools there are no academic heavyweights in that conference.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - Bearcat 1985 - 12-30-2018 09:45 AM

mc

But that will never happen. Houston is full of A&M and UT grads and t-shirt fans who will never give a **** about UH. The city's oil companies' relationships are with the state's AAU universities and their chemical and petroleum engineering departments. UH will never take their place.

What Fertitta is is an egomaniac who wants to see the school get big time sports to fuel his ego, and he really doesn't care what happens to the school overall. This is the Louisville model writ large, and it's not something we should be applauding just because we're in the same conference as them, and it's certainly not something that we should want to see happening with UC. More support? More big time donors to academics and athletics? Sure. Out of control egomaniacs forcing the Louisville model on UC? No thanks.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - SuperFlyBCat - 12-30-2018 10:31 AM

(12-30-2018 09:11 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Agree with Marcuscan and others here. Thanel’s article read as if it was written by the guy who posted as JML on the CR board. Thamel did everything but call them Coog High. He Houston’s even comments on how Houston is perceived by other Big 12 schools— seriously with the exception of 2 schools there are no academic heavyweights in that conference.

Trash article, I unfollowed Thamel for that piece.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - OldGoldnBlue - 12-30-2018 11:50 AM

(12-30-2018 08:47 AM)doss2 Wrote:  If Holgorsen leaves for another job, he would owe West Virginia between $1 million and $3 million depending on his departure date.

Since it drops on Jan 1 waiting a few days is good business sense and Timan is a smart businessman.

We are hearing he's pretty much gone. I don't think we will straight out fire him but we are making no effort to keep him from taking the UH job and might even be giving him a slight nudge out the door. Dana taking that job is working out to be a best case scenario for all parties involved.

BTW Our fans have started bringing up HCLF, any insight to what his buyout looks like? BTW I'm not implying that WVU is coming to steal your coach, it's only been fans that have mentioned him. Neal Brown seems to be #1 on WVU's actual hot board.

RE: 2018/2019 College Football Coaching Carousel - robertfoshizzle - 12-30-2018 12:07 PM

(12-30-2018 11:50 AM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(12-30-2018 08:47 AM)doss2 Wrote:  If Holgorsen leaves for another job, he would owe West Virginia between $1 million and $3 million depending on his departure date.

We are hearing he's pretty much gone. I don't think we will straight out fire him but we are making no effort to keep him from taking the UH job and might even be giving him a slight nudge out the door. Dana taking that job is working out to be a best case scenario for all parties involved.

BTW Our fans have started bringing up HCLF, any insight to what his buyout looks like? BTW I'm not implying that WVU is coming to steal your coach, it's only been fans that have mentioned him. Neal Brown seems to be #1 on WVU's actual hot board.

After tomorrow, I believe Fickell's buyout drops from $3,000,000 to $2,500,000. His current deal is $13.4 million over 6 years. I don't see him being interested in the job, although I think he could do well there given his Ohio recruiting connections.