CSNbbs
ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty (/thread-849172.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - monarx - 09-02-2018 08:04 PM

(09-02-2018 07:54 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 07:42 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 09:22 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 09:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 07:47 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I'm still not sure I understand exactly what we got out of the move to FBS. FCS was more exciting, better football, better football players, better teams and less expensive. Time to mix this experiment, we can't afford to keep up with UCF, Memphis, or even FAU, much less Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Money, apparently. Which is no longer there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I traveled to Pittsburgh and NC State with some level of confidence we'd be in exciting games with an outside shot of pulling the upset. Now I can't even drum up motivation to go to home games and my son has zero interest. Those FCS players may have been a little smaller and perhaps a step slower, but they were better football players. I'm not sure this team full of bottom level FBS recruits could even beat the team we fielded against Chowan 10 years ago.

I absolutely believe our FCS playoff teams would beat the team we have right now.

Too early to tell but the big difference was having Heinicke; who is a complete game changer. Those defenses were so bad though. This defense would still look really good compared to those. Those were bad FCS defenses. I still think his defense will be decent.

I agree. But that defense last night in the fourth quarter was awful. I do think the D can turn it around, though seeing them quit like they did is cause for concern. A Taylor led team would have probably put up another 28 points against LU at least. Probably a David Washington led team would too.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODUalum78 - 09-02-2018 09:57 PM

(09-02-2018 09:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 07:47 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I'm still not sure I understand exactly what we got out of the move to FBS. FCS was more exciting, better football, better football players, better teams and less expensive. Time to mix this experiment, we can't afford to keep up with UCF, Memphis, or even FAU, much less Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

Money, apparently. Which is no longer there.

I traveled to Pittsburgh and NC State with some level of confidence we'd be in exciting games with an outside shot of pulling the upset. Now I can't even drum up motivation to go to home games and my son has zero interest. Those FCS players may have been a little smaller and perhaps a step slower, but they were better football players. I'm not sure this team full of bottom level FBS recruits could even beat the team we fielded against Chowan 10 years ago.

I absolutely believe our FCS playoff teams would beat the team we have right now.

Too early to tell but the big difference was having Heinicke; who is a complete game changer. Those defenses were so bad though. This defense would still look really good compared to those. Those were bad FCS defenses. I still think his defense will be decent.

Yes and no, as it was not just Heinicke.

Our OL of those years; Lowney, Mewborne, Morrell, and Born was collectively better than any we have had since.

Heinicke always had at least two or three stud receivers to work with, Mayers, Vaughan, Larry Pinkard, and Zach Pascal.
(Duhart has been the only one since).

Our interior rushing defense was excellent, see JMU and Delaware.
Craig Wilkins

Our kicking game was superb, heads and shoulders better than any we have had since

It is all speculation of course, and we can never know for sure, but......
Given the above, and the fact that our current rushing scheme is overwhelmingly up the middle, the only strength of our FCS defenses; I think a strong case could be made that 2011 or 2012 would beat this team.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - 12thmonarch - 09-02-2018 10:13 PM

(09-02-2018 09:57 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 09:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Money, apparently. Which is no longer there.

Our OL of those years; Lowney, Mewborne, Morrell, and Born was collectively better than any we have had since. (This group would kick the day lights out of the current fat blimps we have on our OL)

Heinicke always had at least two stud receivers to work with, Mayers, Vaughan, Larry Pinkard, and Zach Pascal.

Craig Wilkins

Our kicking game was superb, heads and shoulders better than any we have had since. (Plisco and Jarod Brown need i say more)

Given the above, and the fact that our current rushing scheme is overwhelmingly up the middle, the only strength of our FCS defenses; I think a strong case could be made that 2011 or 2012 would beat this team.

All valid points and kinda true because its not apples to apples other than kicking and punting. Defense is where i thought we are improved but after yesterday i am not sure.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - AimHigher - 09-02-2018 10:44 PM

The defense last night would have been alright had the offense, special teams and play calling complimented them after LU first score.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODUalum78 - 09-02-2018 10:47 PM

(09-02-2018 10:13 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 09:22 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I traveled to Pittsburgh and NC State with some level of confidence we'd be in exciting games with an outside shot of pulling the upset. Now I can't even drum up motivation to go to home games and my son has zero interest. Those FCS players may have been a little smaller and perhaps a step slower, but they were better football players. I'm not sure this team full of bottom level FBS recruits could even beat the team we fielded against Chowan 10 years ago.

Our OL of those years; Lowney, Mewborne, Morrell, and Born was collectively better than any we have had since. (This group would kick the day lights out of the current fat blimps we have on our OL)

Heinicke always had at least two stud receivers to work with, Mayers, Vaughan, Larry Pinkard, and Zach Pascal.

Craig Wilkins

Our kicking game was superb, heads and shoulders better than any we have had since. (Plisco and Jarod Brown need i say more)

All valid points and kinda true because its not apples to apples other than kicking and punting. Defense is where i thought we are improved but after yesterday i am not sure.

well, apples to apples more than you might think.

TH needs no explanation
Most of that OL got NFL looks, tryouts, or offers. Born surely would have played on Sunday without the injury.
Pascal, Vaughan, and Pinkard got tryouts and/or signed by the NFL.
Craig Wilkins got close.

Really only Nick Mayers was not of NFL, Canadian or almost caliber, and that was largely (see what I did there?) due to lack of size.
And of course the prowess of our interior rush defense was relative, but our current inside rush is well....so who knows...

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - 12thmonarch - 09-02-2018 11:12 PM

(09-02-2018 10:47 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 10:13 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 07:42 PM)monarx Wrote:  I absolutely believe our FCS playoff teams would beat the team we have right now.

Craig Wilkins

well, apples to apples more than you might think.

TH needs no explanation
Most of that OL got NFL looks, tryouts, or offers. Born surely would have played on Sunday without the injury.
Pascal, Vaughan, and Pinkard got tryouts and/or signed by the NFL.
Craig Wilkins got close.

Really only Nick Mayers was not of NFL, Canadian or almost caliber, and that was largely (see what I did there?) due to lack of size.
And of course the prowess of our interior rush defense was relative, but our current inside rush is well....so who knows...

I think you got me wrong. What i meant was "They might not have faced the same kinda competition" but not in terms of talent on which i agree with you. I have no doubt those four OLinemen would kick the **** out of the sad sack of lards we call Offensive line now. Coming to Wide receivers Mayers is my favorite and will be for a long long time. He is short but he never let that get in the way when going up against all sizes of defenders and i like Duhart too that kid can play and there's no ******* doubt. TH is very special and will be and other than may be Washington we didn't have any one in our short history that compares.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - AimHigher - 09-03-2018 09:11 AM

Bobby Wilder was excited talking about the team this morning. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODUalum78 - 09-03-2018 09:15 AM

(09-03-2018 09:11 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Bobby Wilder was excited talking about the team this morning. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

wha...???? 01-wingedeagle

Wait, our team or another team....

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - Gilesfan - 09-03-2018 09:21 AM

(09-02-2018 09:16 AM)odu09 Wrote:  Money, apparently. Which is no longer there.

Our OL of those years; Lowney, Mewborne, Morrell, and Born was collectively better than any we have had since.

Heinicke always had at least two or three stud receivers to work with, Mayers, Vaughan, Larry Pinkard, and Zach Pascal.

Craig Wilkins

Our kicking game was superb, heads and shoulders better than any we have had since

Heinicke made those WRs. We saw Sat night how a QB can make receivers look good/bad. Williams hits all those open guys and we think the weapons are good.

Pinkard and Pascal are the beat WR we’ve had. Vaughn/Mayers took advantage pf DCS opponents. Weaver/Clarke are as good or better than any OL we’ve had. We will see that when both get NFL shots.

Either way, the defense in FCS couldnt cut it at that level. Heinicke carried us. What did he have to score, 60 at home to a bad Citadel team?

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODUalum78 - 09-03-2018 10:15 AM

(09-03-2018 09:21 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(09-02-2018 09:22 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I traveled to Pittsburgh and NC State with some level of confidence we'd be in exciting games with an outside shot of pulling the upset. Now I can't even drum up motivation to go to home games and my son has zero interest. Those FCS players may have been a little smaller and perhaps a step slower, but they were better football players. I'm not sure this team full of bottom level FBS recruits could even beat the team we fielded against Chowan 10 years ago.

Craig Wilkins

Heinicke made those WRs. We saw Sat night how a QB can make receivers look good/bad. Williams hits all those open guys and we think the weapons are good.

Pinkard and Pascal are the beat WR we’ve had. Vaughn/Mayers took advantage pf DCS opponents. Weaver/Clarke are as good or better than any OL we’ve had. We will see that when both get NFL shots.

Either way, the defense in FCS couldnt cut it at that level. Heinicke carried us. What did he have to score, 60 at home to a bad Citadel team?

No argument about Pinkard and Pascal. To my point, Pinkard was another FCS recruit, and Pascal was a transition recruit.
Vaughan signed with an Arena team so he must have had something above and beyound just Heinicke.

I agree about Weaver and Clarke. However they are two O linemen, not four. Additionally, the aforementioned FCS OL all played together, and generally at their peak, at the same time. Weaver is coming in as Clarke is going out, so two seasons together at different experience levels.
David Washinhgton is arguably the best overall athlete we have ever had, and he is another FCS recruit.

The Citadel is a meaningless example within my argument, as I specifically stated that our only strength was against the inside run. We couldn't stop the TO, a dual threat QB, or a passing offense. However in 2012 we stopped otherwise prolific power running teams JMU, Towson, and UD.

Since this year we only seem to be able to run inside I gave our playoff year's defenses a chance against our current team.

04-cheers

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - blueandsilver - 09-03-2018 06:18 PM

(09-03-2018 09:15 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-03-2018 09:11 AM)AimHigh Wrote:  Bobby Wilder was excited talking about the team this morning. 03-banghead03-banghead03-banghead

wha...???? 01-wingedeagle

Wait, our team or another team....

I can't listen to Wilder any more. I'll just watch the game and judge his performance on the field. So far, he has nothing but an embarrassing loss to show for all the hype. Hype says 52, performance says 10 -- enough said. All the rest is empty chatter and really doesn't make a damn bit of difference at the end of the day. I would rather he spend less time talking and more time preparing.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - odu09 - 09-04-2018 06:54 AM

It's all 'coachspeak'. I wouldn't listen either. He's just farting rainbows out of his mouth. What is he supposed to say, "man, I guess we actually suck, I didn't realize it until Saturday."

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - jasdf - 09-04-2018 06:56 AM

Coach speak, or in layman’s terms... bull ****

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - DaBigBlue - 09-04-2018 07:26 AM

Listen to BW. The team is good, covered everything...Rainbows, unicorns and butterflies. Go Monarchs and bring on FIU.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODU AGGIE - 09-04-2018 08:30 AM

IMHO, Nick Mayers is the best WR to ever put on a Monarchs uniform -- bar none. Here he is, in case you have forgotten just how good he was.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - AimHigher - 09-04-2018 08:39 AM

(09-04-2018 07:26 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  Listen to BW. The team is good, covered everything...Rainbows, unicorns and butterflies. Go Monarchs and bring on FIU.

Ya know what's strange? At the Liberty game Saturday evening there was a rainbow and a monarch butterfly.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - Gilesfan - 09-04-2018 09:03 AM

Pascal is the best WR we have ever had, IMO. I loved Mayers, but he had the luxury of not having to face any competition.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - ODUalum78 - 09-04-2018 10:40 AM

There is no way to sugar coat this. The more I revisit the game the more stunned I am.

LU's Calvert is a very good QB. As a Soph he was 2nd team all (FCS) conference.
His stats were darn good but not Earth shattering.
He is no threat to run, yet our vaunted edge rush could get no sacks; I guess partially due to the ease in which he could quickly hit an open receiver.

Oh well, we can work on pass defense all week because we still have our superb DL and faster and better LBs this season to stop the rush.
NOT
Liberty shredded us on the ground as well. 242 yards @6.9 yds per carry. Last year top RB, Mathews rushed for 226 yards on 31 carries on the year; including his best game v s Morehead St of 103 yards. We were his second best career effort @101 yards.

SW's performance was terrible, however our strength was supposed to be our rush. It should not have been all on him. Our celebrated running backs totaled 86 yards on 29 carries for less than 3 yds per carry.
SW added 10 carries for 43 yards that but I think only 2(?) of his rushes were designed. He is good at running for his life, but we cannot predicate an offense on that.
Our lack of rushing prowess against a mediocre FCS team (last year) should be cause for the most concern. If we cannot rush, then we are asking our QBs to perform like TH, without the luxury of his his receivers. We even rushed better in the UNC debacle.

I cannot remember an ODU game where we were so completely inept in all aspects of the game.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - Mo Blue Den You - 09-04-2018 11:23 AM

Heaven forbid anyone talk trash and criticize our players and staff after the embarrassing CRAP they called a game Saturday.

Now there are ex ODU football players, some of whom have already been posted here stating if you've never played the sport, dont open your mouths?!?!?

Let me tell all these baby boy princesses, FANS BRING IN THE MONEY. FANS PAY THE COACHES SALARY.

Cant handle the heat, GTFO the kitchen.

RE: ODU Football Opponent Preview: Liberty - jasdf - 09-05-2018 02:30 PM

(08-19-2018 08:39 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 07:07 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 04:21 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 03:49 PM)jasdf Wrote:  
(08-19-2018 09:41 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  We need to stomp this piece of **** called Liberty and put that crap in its place period.

At the end of the day, my brother, our place will be probably be quite close to their place.... in the bottom twenty of the FBS standings

[Image: E3ZzORhSDKWQywS4Asbb_j3.gif]

Seconded.

(Sloppy Seconded?)

Family style.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Since my post was mod deleted for some reason I’ll just ask you lot again, finished jerking yet?