CSNbbs
Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond (/thread-847354.html)

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-10-2023 12:14 PM

Baptist Bible College, Springfield Missouri, is planning on applying to the NAIA in 2024. They are accredited with North Central, enrollment 250 but at one time they had 1500. Aiming for the American Midwest Conference.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/2023/01/08/how-bbc-basketball-turned-things-around-for-dying-athletic-department/69721935007/

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-10-2023 12:55 PM

(01-10-2023 12:14 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  Baptist Bible College, Springfield Missouri, is planning on applying to the NAIA in 2024. They are accredited with North Central, enrollment 250 but at one time they had 1500. Aiming for the American Midwest Conference.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/2023/01/08/how-bbc-basketball-turned-things-around-for-dying-athletic-department/69721935007/

I believe they were in the NAIA previously. I know either BBC or Central Bible College in Springfield were members. I believe it was both however.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Inkblot - 01-10-2023 03:32 PM

(01-10-2023 12:55 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(01-10-2023 12:14 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  Baptist Bible College, Springfield Missouri, is planning on applying to the NAIA in 2024. They are accredited with North Central, enrollment 250 but at one time they had 1500. Aiming for the American Midwest Conference.

I believe they in the NAIA previously. I know either BBC or Central Bible College in Springfield were members. I believe it was both however.

Correct on both, according to my notes. BBC left in 1993 and CBC in 1987.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Rube Dali - 01-10-2023 03:55 PM

(01-10-2023 03:32 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  
(01-10-2023 12:55 PM)Todor Wrote:  

I believe they in the NAIA previously. I know either BBC or Central Bible College in Springfield were members. I believe it was both however.

Correct on both, according to my notes. BBC left in 1993 and CBC in 1987.

Hey inkblot, give me a DM if you can. I have some questions I'd would like to ask.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - TexasTerror - 01-11-2023 07:28 PM

Good news for the GCAC as member Tougaloo is adding more sports joining other GCAC schools who have recently added more sport offerings.

[Image: newsports%20%281280%20%C3%97%20720%20px%29.png]

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-11-2023 07:42 PM

(01-11-2023 07:28 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Good news for the GCAC as member Tougaloo is adding more sports joining other GCAC schools who have recently added more sport offerings.

[Image: newsports%20%281280%20%C3%97%20720%20px%29.png]

Too bad they haven't updated their athletics web site since April.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-11-2023 11:18 PM

Now that BBC is adding even more sports and going back to the NAIA, I wouldn’t be surprised to see College of the Ozarks also come back to the NAIA.

I’m still unclear if their reason for leaving was spur of the moment (seemed like it) or a planned shift back to their origins and that the issue with the NAIA was a last straw type of thing. I ask because in the same time frame, they also sought and received TRACS accreditation, which is unusual for a regionally accredited school. It would also be a fairly large, multi year undertaking and not something that can possibly be impulsive. It will be interesting to see if C of Os current path is their future or more of a blip.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-11-2023 11:26 PM

(01-11-2023 11:18 PM)Todor Wrote:  Now that BBC is adding even more sports and going back to the NAIA, I wouldn’t be surprised to see College of the Ozarks also come back to the NAIA.

I’m still unclear if their reason for leaving with spur of the moment (seemed like it) or a planned shift back to their origins and that the issue with the NAIA was a last straw type of thing. I ask because in the same time frame, they also sought and received TRACS accreditation, which is unusual for a regionally accredited school. It will be interesting to see if C of Os current path is their future or more of a blip.

In a nutshell... The president of CofO was very conservative. CofO hosted the NAIA DII Men's Basketball National Championship for many years. When BLM hit, and it became fashionable for players to take a knee during the national anthem, he insisted that all game contracts required athletes to stand during the anthem. This is was problematic for many NAIA institutions, including the HBCUs. So on short notice, the championship was relocated and CofO declared that they would leave the NAIA and be members exclusively of the NCCAA.

At this point, that president is now Chancellor, and there is a new president. I don't know who really has the power and influence now, but the former president is over 80. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your speculation comes true.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-12-2023 12:38 AM

(01-11-2023 11:26 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(01-11-2023 11:18 PM)Todor Wrote:  Now that BBC is adding even more sports and going back to the NAIA, I wouldn’t be surprised to see College of the Ozarks also come back to the NAIA.

I’m still unclear if their reason for leaving with spur of the moment (seemed like it) or a planned shift back to their origins and that the issue with the NAIA was a last straw type of thing. I ask because in the same time frame, they also sought and received TRACS accreditation, which is unusual for a regionally accredited school. It will be interesting to see if C of Os current path is their future or more of a blip.

In a nutshell... The president of CofO was very conservative. CofO hosted the NAIA DII Men's Basketball National Championship for many years. When BLM hit, and it became fashionable for players to take a knee during the national anthem, he insisted that all game contracts required athletes to stand during the anthem. This is was problematic for many NAIA institutions, including the HBCUs. So on short notice, the championship was relocated and CofO declared that they would leave the NAIA and be members exclusively of the NCCAA.

At this point, that president is now Chancellor, and there is a new president. I don't know who really has the power and influence now, but the former president is over 80. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your speculation comes true.

Right on all accounts. However, the institution is probably not more conservative now than before, and probably not because of the then current president. And I think it runs top to bottom there, so a new president will probably only be hired if he fits what they are looking for. From what I know of C of O, a new president would not be able to lead the institution in much of a new direction.

And while I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go back to the NAIA, they are currently successful in the NCCAA, don’t seem to have trouble scheduling in any sport, don’t have excessive travel or missed class/work time as it stands, and have never had trouble drawing students or recruiting, so perhaps they will stay put. There are strong cases to be made for both choices. Most schools reach for the highest level they can reasonably achieve, but C of O might be made from a different cast and harder to figure out.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-12-2023 12:31 PM

(01-12-2023 12:38 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(01-11-2023 11:26 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  

Right on all accounts. However, the institution is probably not more conservative now than before, and probably not because of the then current president. And I think it runs top to bottom there, so a new president will probably only be hired if he fits what they are looking for. From what I know of C of O, a new president would not be able to lead the institution in much of a new direction.

And while I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go back to the NAIA, they are currently successful in the NCCAA, don’t seem to have trouble scheduling in any sport, don’t have excessive travel or missed class/work time as it stands, and have never had trouble drawing students or recruiting, so perhaps they will stay put. There are strong cases to be made for both choices. Most schools reach for the highest level they can reasonably achieve, but C of O might be made from a different cast and harder to figure out.

The rumor that CofO will come back to the NAIA has been brought up on the VSN board now too, sourced earlier than it's mention here. And it seems credible.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Inkblot - 01-17-2023 03:25 PM

Presentation (NAIA) is closing. https://www.presentation.edu/about/announcement

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-17-2023 04:47 PM

(01-17-2023 03:25 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  Presentation (NAIA) is closing. https://www.presentation.edu/about/announcement

Bummer. Presentation was D3 before joining the NAIA about 10 years ago. After the transition, they were very happy with the result because in D3 they had a very difficult time attracting athletes to the school because they couldn't offer scholarships. As the NAIA allowed scholarships, they fielded more stable teams and did not have to cut athletic programs. This meant their overall financial condition improved. Kind of counter intuitive, that offering scholarships results in stronger financials.

But apparently it wasn't enough. COVID apparently really hurt them.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-17-2023 07:24 PM

Typically, there is a year or two of instability that involves some cutbacks, layoffs, accreditation being put on warning etc. I hadn’t heard anything about Presentation, although I don’t follow them as closely as I do some others.

It’s especially odd that they are heavy into health sciences which are booming, and that what they call their signature program is a highly in demand online BSN program. For sure, there is also a lot of competition in that space and the bigger players have a lot of advantages.

After Jamestown leaving, a change of ownership at Waldorf and this, the North Star has multiple challenges going on. I hope things work out for the North Star because several of those schools have virtually no other options.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-17-2023 11:10 PM

Biggest challenge to enrollment is a tiny town in the middle of cold cold nowhere.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Pastasevensamurai - 01-17-2023 11:52 PM

It’s time for the department of education start looking at financial documents of the small privates schools. Too many schools are closing up. This decision wasn’t made overnight.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-18-2023 12:07 AM

(01-17-2023 11:10 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  Biggest challenge to enrollment is a tiny town in the middle of cold cold nowhere.

I would say Presentations biggest challenge was having a state college in the same town. They were always going to be the more expensive option. While Northern State doesn’t have nursing, they have every other major Presentation offered. Most places, there is plenty of room for a public and a private to coexist, but with such a small state population…

South Dakota has a small population, but Aberdeen is the 3rd largest town in the state, so I don’t feel like the town hurt Presentation. The Upper Midwest in general is a tough place for many things though.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 01-18-2023 12:08 AM

(01-17-2023 11:52 PM)Pastasevensamurai Wrote:  It’s time for the department of education start looking at financial documents of the small privates schools. Too many schools are closing up. This decision wasn’t made overnight.

Looking at them to accomplish what? Close them down if they’re financially strapped? That’s exactly what’s happening without government intervention.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 01-18-2023 12:15 AM

(01-18-2023 12:07 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 11:10 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  Biggest challenge to enrollment is a tiny town in the middle of cold cold nowhere.

I would say Presentations biggest challenge was having a state college in the same town. They were always going to be the more expensive option. While Northern State doesn’t have nursing, they have every other major Presentation offered. Most places, there is plenty of room for a public and a private to coexist, but with such a small state population…

South Dakota has a small population, but Aberdeen is the 3rd largest town in the state, so I don’t feel like the town hurt Presentation. The Upper Midwest in general is a tough place for many things though.

State boundaries aren’t really relevant for private colleges. Geography and demography are, for sure.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - DavidSt - 01-18-2023 12:26 AM

(01-17-2023 07:24 PM)Todor Wrote:  Typically, there is a year or two of instability that involves some cutbacks, layoffs, accreditation being put on warning etc. I hadn’t heard anything about Presentation, although I don’t follow them as closely as I do some others.

It’s especially odd that they are heavy into health sciences which are booming, and that what they call their signature program is a highly in demand online BSN program. For sure, there is also a lot of competition in that space and the bigger players have a lot of advantages.

After Jamestown leaving, a change of ownership at Waldorf and this, the North Star has multiple challenges going on. I hope things work out for the North Star because several of those schools have virtually no other options.

The post I made about private schools closing down that could effect realignment? The link I put in it showed schools in the danger, and Presentation was one of them. It is a few years old list, but the article was giving these small universities to stop being selective on the students and admit non-tradiotional students. It seems some of the small privates did that, and they have enrollment doubled since this article came out.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - bryanw1995 - 01-18-2023 12:40 AM

(01-17-2023 11:52 PM)Pastasevensamurai Wrote:  It’s time for the department of education start looking at financial documents of the small privates schools. Too many schools are closing up. This decision wasn’t made overnight.

Do they have jurisdiction? Just found this after a 2 minute search.

Unlike the systems of many other countries, education in the United States is decentralized. Due to the courts and lawmakers' interpretation of the 10th Amendment, this means the federal government and Department of Education are not involved in determining curricula or educational standards or establishing schools or colleges. The Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) oversees schools located on American military bases and the Department of the Interior's Bureau of Indian Education supports tribally-controlled schools. The quality of higher education institutions and their degrees are maintained through an informal private process known as accreditation, over which the Department of Education has no direct public jurisdictional control.