CSNbbs
Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond (/thread-847354.html)

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-12-2022 05:58 PM

(04-12-2022 05:02 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  what conferences will they join? All have bball? Southern goes back to the conf they were in?

SUNO and Oakwood already have invitations to the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference. That, combined with Wiley also joining and Edward Waters leaving, puts GCAC membership at 8.

NAU and IUPUC don't have conference homes yet. But unless they decide to stay independent, the Red River seems right for NAU, and River States for IUPUC. Both schools will have minimal sports for 22-23, so the conferences might wait to invite them until they're more rounded out. NAU has football so for that sport the Sooners seem to be a lock.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-12-2022 06:01 PM

(04-12-2022 05:50 PM)Todor Wrote:  Without checking, I would imagine North American has either applied for regional accreditation or intends to shortly. Without some movement on the accrediting front, I do not believe the NAIA would accept them as associate members. It’s a very new university and I see no reason for them not to be accredited when they do apply. It appears reasonably well funded, and that’s often a huge hang up in even applying.

Yes, this was surprising so I checked with the NAIA. NAU are associate members. They can be associate members as long as they are in the pipeline for regional accreditation. So I guess they are. No mention of that one their web site that I saw though.

Associate members aren't eligible for NAIA post season competition.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - DavidSt - 04-12-2022 08:30 PM

(04-12-2022 05:50 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(04-12-2022 02:17 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(04-12-2022 01:35 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  New NAIA Members announced this morning:

Indiana University Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC),
North American University (Texas),
Oakwood University (Ala.)
Southern University at New Orleans (La.)

http://www.victorysportsnetwork.com/Clip/news/naia-welcomes-four-new-members.htm

I really haven't had a chance to digest these yet...

Everybody kept putting me down about North American University, and they compared them to University of Fort Lauderdale. I wonder if they are an associate member or full member?

You called North American several years ago.

Without checking, I would imagine North American has either applied for regional accreditation or intends to shortly. Without some movement on the accrediting front, I do not believe the NAIA would accept them as associate members. It’s a very new university and I see no reason for them not to be accredited when they do apply. It appears reasonably well funded, and that’s often a huge hang up in even applying.

I would expect NAU to affiliate with the RRAC like Paul Quinn.

It is the RRAC and their football would be affiliated with the Sooner Conference.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 04-12-2022 09:05 PM

(04-12-2022 06:01 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(04-12-2022 05:50 PM)Todor Wrote:  Without checking, I would imagine North American has either applied for regional accreditation or intends to shortly. Without some movement on the accrediting front, I do not believe the NAIA would accept them as associate members. It’s a very new university and I see no reason for them not to be accredited when they do apply. It appears reasonably well funded, and that’s often a huge hang up in even applying.

Yes, this was surprising so I checked with the NAIA. NAU are associate members. They can be associate members as long as they are in the pipeline for regional accreditation. So I guess they are. No mention of that one their web site that I saw though.

And it doesn’t really matter what “in the pipeline” means as long as the NAIA is satisfied. I’ve never seen them make an exception except for an extremely rare case like Paul Quinn which was actually going the opposite direction and remained as an associate member.

I suspect the willingness of a league like the RRAC to play them plays a factor. If a league wants/needs them as a membe long term, it makes sense to help them along in the process a little. Losing St Thomas? in Houston might make them want another school there, though can’t say I know exactly where all their members are located precisely.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 04-12-2022 09:07 PM

(04-12-2022 05:58 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(04-12-2022 05:02 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  what conferences will they join? All have bball? Southern goes back to the conf they were in?

SUNO and Oakwood already have invitations to the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference. That, combined with Wiley also joining and Edward Waters leaving, puts GCAC membership at 8.

NAU and IUPUC don't have conference homes yet. But unless they decide to stay independent, the Red River seems right for NAU, and River States for IUPUC. Both schools will have minimal sports for 22-23, so the conferences might wait to invite them until they're more rounded out. NAU has football so for that sport the Sooners seem to be a lock.

Oakwood has had some success in the USCAA as well as in their games against NAIA teams in recent years. Other than basketball, I’m not sure what they have. That’s the only sport I remember them in.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-12-2022 11:30 PM

(04-12-2022 09:05 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(04-12-2022 06:01 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  

And it doesn’t really matter what “in the pipeline” means as long as the NAIA is satisfied. I’ve never seen them make an exception except for an extremely rare case like Paul Quinn which was actually going the opposite direction and remained as an associate member.

I suspect the willingness of a league like the RRAC to play them plays a factor. If a league wants/needs them as a membe long term, it makes sense to help them along in the process a little. Losing St Thomas? in Houston might make them want another school there, though can’t say I know exactly where all their members are located precisely.

NAU is in Houston, other NAIA in the area include Houston-Victoria, OLLU and TAMU SA in San Antonio.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - DawgNBama - 04-13-2022 02:39 AM

(04-03-2022 01:48 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(04-03-2022 12:49 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 10:35 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 09:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 09:11 PM)AZcats Wrote:  The acquisition of Bridgeport was completed a year ago. Their plan to merge with Marlboro College ended 3 years ago and never happened.

New Haven has an eye on D1.

Post (for-profit) acquired a Denver based for-profit medical school a year ago.

Southern Connecticut State is part of the Connecticut State University System.

Those are the Connecticut D2 schools; which one is currently involved in merger talks.

Bridgeport, and they sold off their soccer field that used to had football to the city to host high school football and all that. Bridgeport is still not out of the woods yet.

Really; what do I see marked as campus facility #25 on the University of Bridgeport campus map? A facility used by the Purple Knights soccer teams in the fall 2021 season, currently being used by the women's lacrosse team, and will be used by the new men's lacrosse team that begins play in the spring 2023 season. Speaking of new teams; UB may still be having some difficulties but they have to have money coming from somewhere in order to be able to start 5 NCAA teams and some club teams in 2022-23. So, who is Bridgeport currently talking to about a merger?

[Image: ub-campus-map_thumb.jpg]

New Bassack High School At Bridgeport Campus Including Buying The Soccer Field

Didn't ask about what an article from 2 years ago said. But since you actually linked it, did you bother to read it.
Quote:enter a 99-year lease — at $1 a year — for the soccer field
Leasing is not buying; if you're leasing something there has to be an owner. UB still owns the field and earns $1 a year from the high school.

UB labels the field as a campus facility while the buildings on the east side and northeast corner of the field are no longer marked as campus residence halls. There is no signage at the field for the high school even though they use it.

And you still haven't answered who Bridgeport is currently talking to about a merger.

Goodwin, Sacred Heart, and Paier College of Art, I believe.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - DawgNBama - 04-13-2022 02:40 AM

Who is IUPUC???

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - AZcats - 04-13-2022 03:27 AM

(04-13-2022 02:39 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(04-03-2022 01:48 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(04-03-2022 12:49 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 10:35 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 09:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Bridgeport, and they sold off their soccer field that used to had football to the city to host high school football and all that. Bridgeport is still not out of the woods yet.

Really; what do I see marked as campus facility #25 on the University of Bridgeport campus map? A facility used by the Purple Knights soccer teams in the fall 2021 season, currently being used by the women's lacrosse team, and will be used by the new men's lacrosse team that begins play in the spring 2023 season. Speaking of new teams; UB may still be having some difficulties but they have to have money coming from somewhere in order to be able to start 5 NCAA teams and some club teams in 2022-23. So, who is Bridgeport currently talking to about a merger?

[Image: ub-campus-map_thumb.jpg]

New Bassack High School At Bridgeport Campus Including Buying The Soccer Field

Didn't ask about what an article from 2 years ago said. But since you actually linked it, did you bother to read it.
Quote:enter a 99-year lease — at $1 a year — for the soccer field
Leasing is not buying; if you're leasing something there has to be an owner. UB still owns the field and earns $1 a year from the high school.

UB labels the field as a campus facility while the buildings on the east side and northeast corner of the field are no longer marked as campus residence halls. There is no signage at the field for the high school even though they use it.

And you still haven't answered who Bridgeport is currently talking to about a merger.

Goodwin, Sacred Heart, and Paier College of Art, I believe.

No. The acquisition of the University of Bridgeport was completed 11 months ago, May 2021. Sacred Heart pulled out, Paier still has some roll with UB, and Goodwin is at least the primary owner.

Google search [Goodwin completes purchase of University Of Bridgeport] to find all the information.

So, unless I am badly missing something the real answer is nobody.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-13-2022 09:30 AM

(04-13-2022 02:40 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

Who is IUPUC???

Indiana University Purdue University Columbus (IUPUC),

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - TexasTerror - 04-13-2022 12:27 PM

Do not believe the "official" release has been shared of the approvals from the NAIA Convention.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - On the final day of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) National Conference, the national governing body formally accepted and approved membership applications of Oakwood University and Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) to join the association and Gulf Coast Athletic Conference (GCAC) for the 2022-23 season.

The Council of Presidents approved the applications of four institutions for membership, including Oakwood and SUNO, and will be effective July 1, 2022. Formal approval was voted upon by the NAIA Council of Presidents on April 10 at the NAIA Convention COP Business Meeting.

Oakwood joins the NAIA after competing in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association, winning a host of championships on the national level. SUNO returns to the GCAC after restarting athletics at the university level beginning in 2022-23.

The two schools along with Wiley College, which was also extended and accepted membership in the league back in January, will put the conference at eight institutions as Edward Waters will depart the conference this summer and compete in the NCAA.

The addition of Oakwood sees the GCAC footprint return to the state of Alabama, while Wiley College becomes the first institution from the state of Texas to join the league.

GCAC

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-13-2022 12:52 PM

(04-13-2022 12:27 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Do not believe the "official" release has been shared of the approvals from the NAIA Convention.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - On the final day of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) National Conference, the national governing body formally accepted and approved membership applications of Oakwood University and Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) to join the association and Gulf Coast Athletic Conference (GCAC) for the 2022-23 season.

The Council of Presidents approved the applications of four institutions for membership, including Oakwood and SUNO, and will be effective July 1, 2022. Formal approval was voted upon by the NAIA Council of Presidents on April 10 at the NAIA Convention COP Business Meeting.

Oakwood joins the NAIA after competing in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association, winning a host of championships on the national level. SUNO returns to the GCAC after restarting athletics at the university level beginning in 2022-23.

The two schools along with Wiley College, which was also extended and accepted membership in the league back in January, will put the conference at eight institutions as Edward Waters will depart the conference this summer and compete in the NCAA.

The addition of Oakwood sees the GCAC footprint return to the state of Alabama, while Wiley College becomes the first institution from the state of Texas to join the league.

GCAC

This is actually the "official" release of the GCAC, not the NAIA, as it contains some very good information about incoming GCAC members including Wiley who has been an NAIA member for decades.

The links I post to CSN from VSN are almost always "official" releases from their original sources, copied to the VSN site, including the NAIA new members announcement yesterday. VSN is essentially a news aggregator, except for blog posts and forum discussions. Just so you know....

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-13-2022 04:37 PM

Release from IUPUC:

http://www.victorysportsnetwork.com/Clip/news/iu-columbus-gains-membership-in-the-naia.htm

Next year they will offer cross country, baseball and softball. They are aiming for the River States Conference.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - AssKickingChicken - 04-13-2022 04:58 PM

I live in NE Alabama and was unaware Oakwood had athletics.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Pat125 - 04-13-2022 06:13 PM

(04-13-2022 03:27 AM)AZcats Wrote:  No. The acquisition of the University of Bridgeport was completed 11 months ago, May 2021. Sacred Heart pulled out, Paier still has some roll with UB, and Goodwin is at least the primary owner.

Google search [Goodwin completes purchase of University Of Bridgeport] to find all the information.

Univ. of Bridgeport has gone through plenty of bad stuff, some self-inflicted and some external. They seem to have things in order now. But they apparently want to save money on athletics. They currently need to travel extensively for away conference games. As such, they decided to either drop down to Division III or move to another Division II conference (CACC), with a smaller footprint. They apparently chose the latter.

NJTerp

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - AZcats - 04-13-2022 08:30 PM

(04-13-2022 06:13 PM)Pat125 Wrote:  
(04-13-2022 03:27 AM)AZcats Wrote:  No. The acquisition of the University of Bridgeport was completed 11 months ago, May 2021. Sacred Heart pulled out, Paier still has some roll with UB, and Goodwin is at least the primary owner.

Univ. of Bridgeport has gone through plenty of bad stuff, some self-inflicted and some external. They seem to have things in order now. But they apparently want to save money on athletics. They currently need to travel extensively for away conference games. As such, they decided to either drop down to Division III or move to another Division II conference (CACC), with a smaller footprint. They apparently chose the latter.

NJTerp

Bridgeport cut travel costs in half by moving to the CACC. The conference average in 2022-23 will be 89 miles with the longest being 219 miles. The CACC has a policy that no member is more than, I believe, 250 miles from all other members.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Todor - 04-15-2022 02:41 AM

Lyon College, which recently announced a plan to move to D3 from NAIA has another big announcement. They are planning to add a dental school and a veterinary medicine school, both to be located off campus in the Little Rock area. I don’t know the details but it appears to be some sort of for profit company they are getting to build it for them in Lyons name so Lyon won’t have to foot the bill but will probably just receive a cut of the money. This type of arrangement has become increasingly common as the for profit education industry has taken hits lately. This seems to be another way they can weasel their way in thru through the back door by using legit schools.

They have recently added a number of sports, including football and mens and womens wrestling. The also have a brand new president, after firing the past president in a white supremacy comment debacle just 8 months ago.

They are also beginning a BSN Nursing program. They were also in the news a few months ago for a proposed merger of sorts/pooling resources plan with University of the Ozarks.

On one hand, they seem to be busy in taking the college in a number of different, new directions. On the other hand, good grief, what is going on at that place? Hard to tell if anyone of it will work out, be beneficial, or are just signs of desperation at a small college that only has about 650-700 students. On their website, in a 2018 strategic plan, they anticipated an enrollment of up to 1250 by 2022.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/04/15/lyon-college-plans-vet-and-dental-schools-private-funds

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - Inkblot - 04-27-2022 05:53 PM

In addition to the previously-known Thomas More and USC Beaufort, Westmont (teamvsn's school) is applying to join NCAA Division II, and presumably the Pacific West Conference. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d2/memb/Mar2022D2Memb_Report.pdf

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - teamvsn - 04-27-2022 06:41 PM

(04-27-2022 05:53 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  In addition to the previously-known Thomas More and USC Beaufort, Westmont (teamvsn's school) is applying to join NCAA Division II, and presumably the Pacific West Conference. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/committees/d2/memb/Mar2022D2Memb_Report.pdf

(Copied from what I just posted at VSN)

Well, it's public now so I can talk. There's a few angles to this:

VSN:

I'm still a fan of the NAIA, and still a fan of Westmont. But after next year there will not be an overlap there. :(

Personally:

I am not excited. But I am not depressed either. AD Dave Odell has assured me and others that we wouldn't be doing this if we weren't going to do this right, and attain similar levels of success at the D2 level. We'll see about that. The other former GSAC members in the PacWest have had what we could call "sporadic success". Both APU and Point Loma have made it to the Final Four, but usually win no more than a game or two in the regionals. So yes, we'll see. The silver lining is that we'll be playing our historic rivals again in the PacWest: APU, Biola, Concordia, Fresno Pacific, and Point Loma.

What did I know, and when did I know it?

I first started hearing questions about NAIA vs D2 from faculty - yes, faculty - after Biola left the NAIA. There have been many discussions with various people at Westmont since then, ranging from "we might do this" to "I think we're going to do this" following that. I only got confirmation mid-March of this year following the normal app deadline; I asked Odell if this was the year they applied, and he said that the deadline shifted to March 1 because of the constitutional changes, but that yes they were going to do it. Up until then i had hope that they wouldn't. So it's really only a few months that I "knew", and i was told off the record as a "valued alumni", so I couldn't talk about it.

WHY D2???

Throughout the discussions I've had, there were a lot of topics covered. Some of them are still off the record, and will be for some time .. or forever if they never become relevant. But most importantly, it's less about NAIA vs NCAA than GSAC vs CalPac. The GSAC has changed a great deal since our historic rivals started moving away. In order to recruit new GSAC members, the conference changed their charter to no longer be Christian based... although it's still all private schools. So that is one reason to stay GSAC gone. The new schools are in Arizona and Northern California, so travel has increased. Another reason to stay GSAC, gone. With the increased travel, most of the sports moved to a "travel partner" scheduling system, in which games were played on Thursday and Saturday, creating 3-4 day road trips to Nor Cal and Arizona. That made sense. But to many of the schools in the GSAC that are struggling financially and had a large chunk of students that are athletes (frequently on road trips), the next logical step was to change the academic schedule to not have school on Fridays. This is when I started hearing things from faculty: this is the athletic tail wagging the academic dog. "Who are we associating ourselves with?". Then came COVID. A few localities within the GSAC footprint, including Santa Barbara County, were super strict about testing and quarantining. Westmont complied, and was in fact one of the few colleges in California that actually had on campus attendance last year all year. But many schools in the GSAC weren't under such orders, and would not perform any testing even at the worst time to protect their students, and our athletes (in game situations). So the GSAC had a split schedule, with the testing teams playing each other and the non-testing teams playing each other. Again, "who are we associating ourselves with?". For 2021/22 and COVID, they still would not test, although the pandemic is milder. What they did was make any missed games forfeits, not postponements. This was a blatant engineering of advantage to favor teams that don't test. The only teams that had forfeits last year were teams that tested. The other teams may very well have played with infected players, but didn't know. I'll add that of the other things that are still off the record, it became obvious that the move was inevitable.

Odell is very optimistic about our chances in D2, and thinks that Westmont will instantly be top 10 academically in D2. That, combined with our location and mission, makes for a unique niche that will help us continue to attract great players. If you know the rules of D2 membership and Westmont's staffing, its obvious some changes will need to be made during the process. I think I know what those changes will be, and they would be positive even if we stayed NAIA. But I won't talk about them until they are public.

RE: Conference Realignment for D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and USCAA 2020 and Beyond - johnintx - 04-27-2022 07:56 PM

(04-27-2022 06:41 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  AD Dave Odell has assured me and others that we wouldn't be doing this if we weren't going to do this right, and attain similar levels of success at the D2 level. We'll see about that. The other former GSAC members in the PacWest have had what we could call "sporadic success". Both APU and Point Loma have made it to the Final Four, but usually win no more than a game or two in the regionals. So yes, we'll see. The silver lining is that we'll be playing our historic rivals again in the PacWest: APU, Biola, Concordia, Fresno Pacific, and Point Loma.

It's good to be with your rivals, especially at a small school level.

I'm an alum of a school that made the move a few years ago. I miss the old NAIA, but those days aren't coming back.

We don't compete for national championships in D-II, but we compete well within our conference and region. And it's good to be with some of our historic rivals, both private and public.

I know enough about your school to know that they'll do D-II right. Your school will be fine.

Will they play NCCAA post-season tournaments during the transition?