CSNbbs
NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? (/thread-683785.html)

NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - tibber - 03-26-2014 12:17 AM

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/26/steve-masiello-usf-hire-background-check/?eref=sihp

When something like this happens, I wonder how they got by the background check for the job that's getting them the bigger job in the first place.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Memphis Blazer - 03-26-2014 08:34 AM

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 6m
Kentucky spokeswoman told @ESPN that Masiello never got degree from UK as indicated on Manhattan & Louisville official websites

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - blazerball25 - 03-26-2014 09:58 AM

Didn't seem to hurt Eddie Jordan at Rutgers. I am amazed that coaches applying for such high paying positions would lie about something like that. It's going to come out, especially these days

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Memphis Blazer - 03-26-2014 10:06 AM

(03-26-2014 09:58 AM)blazerball25 Wrote:  Didn't seem to hurt Eddie Jordan at Rutgers. I am amazed that coaches applying for such high paying positions would lie about something like that. It's going to come out, especially these days

It's called taking shortcuts and they are too arrogant to think they will get caught.

I was always afraid someone was going to look closely at Mike Davis's "degree" when he was here.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - the_blazerman - 03-26-2014 10:38 AM

For some jobs you can stretch the truth a little.
You don't however fib about things like a degree.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - UAB Band Dad - 03-26-2014 10:58 AM

I saw on another forum "Well, a high school diploma should be an acceptable substitute for a UK degree."

Ouchies.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-26-2014 07:27 PM

(03-26-2014 10:58 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I saw on another forum "Well, a high school diploma should be an acceptable substitute for a UK degree."

Ouchies.

That reminds me of the old Bama joke that AU grads put their diploma on the dashboard so they could use the "Handicapped" parking places.

For MB; A MS State fan once told me that a student failed a course at MS State, passed it at Ole Miss and taught it at USM. These kinds of jokes abound among college folks in every state.

Now we might ask, what C-USA school will now hire this great but flawed coach?

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Montgomery Blazer - 03-26-2014 07:45 PM

Personally, I'd just stay at Manhattan.

A very small fanbase with limited expectations? And the guy makes as much as he does? What's the issue?

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Memphis Blazer - 03-26-2014 07:46 PM

Not a Bama thread.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - UAB Band Dad - 03-26-2014 09:42 PM

(03-26-2014 07:45 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  Personally, I'd just stay at Manhattan.

A very small fanbase with limited expectations? And the guy makes as much as he does? What's the issue?

Well, for starters he's been outed for lying on his resume, and now his previous employer knows it. Manhattan has placed him on leave while they decide what to do about it.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - the_blazerman - 03-26-2014 09:45 PM

Manhattan can probably dismiss him or not take him back due to his lying on his resume.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - uab blazer 01 - 03-27-2014 10:15 AM

They will look bad taking back a coach who didnt leave because the job he was going to found out he doesnt have a degree. I think he is toast if he never got a degree and that was a job requirement as it usually is for head coach.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Grammar-Nazi - 03-28-2014 08:41 AM

In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty. That requires, at a minimum, a bachelor's degree. At some institutions, it requires a minimum of a master's.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - demiveeman - 03-28-2014 08:42 AM

(03-28-2014 08:41 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty.

A lot of the institutions that you have taught at haven't exactly been athletic powerhouses. Although the same could be said about Manhattan.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - Grammar-Nazi - 03-28-2014 08:59 AM

(03-28-2014 08:42 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(03-28-2014 08:41 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty.

A lot of the institutions that you have taught at haven't exactly been athletic powerhouses. Although the same could be said about Manhattan.

If a school wants to be accredited, it has to ensure anyone who has a "supervisory role of students" have a bachelor's degree. That even includes food service managers who hire students to work in their kitchens. To get around that rule, schools started outsourcing food service and janitorial service. To my knowledge, athletics haven't yet been outsourced, though they are pretty damn close to being completely independent of universities.

RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary? - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-28-2014 05:52 PM

(03-28-2014 08:59 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  
(03-28-2014 08:42 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  

If a school wants to be accredited, it has to ensure anyone who has a "supervisory role of students" have a bachelor's degree. That even includes food service managers who hire students to work in their kitchens. To get around that rule, schools started outsourcing food service and janitorial service. To my knowledge, athletics haven't yet been outsourced, though they are pretty damn close to being completely independent of universities.

An example of your last point is that the Athletic Department at UA turns over "surplus funds" to the UA General Scholarship Fund. The thing is that it is the AD's call about how much to turn over - the school administration seems to just take their word for what amount is "surplus" (after the waterfalls and such are paid for). The latest figures from the Delta Cost Project state that UA's AD has spent about $200,000 or more per athlete per year every year since 2010. (All this while tuition has risen every year over that same period)