UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary?
tibber Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BlazerTalk Award
NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary?
http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/26/steve-...?eref=sihp

When something like this happens, I wonder how they got by the background check for the job that's getting them the bigger job in the first place.
03-26-2014 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: NBR: Manhattan's coach pulling an O'Leary?
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 6m
Kentucky spokeswoman told @ESPN that Masiello never got degree from UK as indicated on Manhattan & Louisville official websites
03-26-2014 08:34 AM
blazerball25 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
Didn't seem to hurt Eddie Jordan at Rutgers. I am amazed that coaches applying for such high paying positions would lie about something like that. It's going to come out, especially these days
03-26-2014 09:58 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-26-2014 09:58 AM)blazerball25 Wrote:  Didn't seem to hurt Eddie Jordan at Rutgers. I am amazed that coaches applying for such high paying positions would lie about something like that. It's going to come out, especially these days

It's called taking shortcuts and they are too arrogant to think they will get caught.

I was always afraid someone was going to look closely at Mike Davis's "degree" when he was here.
03-26-2014 10:06 AM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

For some jobs you can stretch the truth a little.
You don't however fib about things like a degree.
03-26-2014 10:38 AM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I saw on another forum "Well, a high school diploma should be an acceptable substitute for a UK degree."

Ouchies.
03-26-2014 10:58 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(03-26-2014 10:58 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I saw on another forum "Well, a high school diploma should be an acceptable substitute for a UK degree."

Ouchies.

That reminds me of the old Bama joke that AU grads put their diploma on the dashboard so they could use the "Handicapped" parking places.

For MB; A MS State fan once told me that a student failed a course at MS State, passed it at Ole Miss and taught it at USM. These kinds of jokes abound among college folks in every state.

Now we might ask, what C-USA school will now hire this great but flawed coach?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 09:42 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
03-26-2014 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Montgomery Blazer Offline
Special Teams

Personally, I'd just stay at Manhattan.

A very small fanbase with limited expectations? And the guy makes as much as he does? What's the issue?
03-26-2014 07:45 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Not a Bama thread.
03-26-2014 07:46 PM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(03-26-2014 07:45 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  Personally, I'd just stay at Manhattan.

A very small fanbase with limited expectations? And the guy makes as much as he does? What's the issue?

Well, for starters he's been outed for lying on his resume, and now his previous employer knows it. Manhattan has placed him on leave while they decide what to do about it.
03-26-2014 09:42 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Manhattan can probably dismiss him or not take him back due to his lying on his resume.
03-26-2014 09:45 PM
uab blazer 01 Offline
1st String

They will look bad taking back a coach who didnt leave because the job he was going to found out he doesnt have a degree. I think he is toast if he never got a degree and that was a job requirement as it usually is for head coach.
03-27-2014 10:15 AM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty. That requires, at a minimum, a bachelor's degree. At some institutions, it requires a minimum of a master's.
03-28-2014 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-28-2014 08:41 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty.

A lot of the institutions that you have taught at haven't exactly been athletic powerhouses. Although the same could be said about Manhattan.
03-28-2014 08:42 AM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
(03-28-2014 08:42 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(03-28-2014 08:41 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  In all my years of teaching in higher education, I've never worked at an institution where the coach was not a member of the faculty.

A lot of the institutions that you have taught at haven't exactly been athletic powerhouses. Although the same could be said about Manhattan.

If a school wants to be accredited, it has to ensure anyone who has a "supervisory role of students" have a bachelor's degree. That even includes food service managers who hire students to work in their kitchens. To get around that rule, schools started outsourcing food service and janitorial service. To my knowledge, athletics haven't yet been outsourced, though they are pretty damn close to being completely independent of universities.
03-28-2014 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(03-28-2014 08:59 AM)Grammar-Nazi Wrote:  
(03-28-2014 08:42 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  

If a school wants to be accredited, it has to ensure anyone who has a "supervisory role of students" have a bachelor's degree. That even includes food service managers who hire students to work in their kitchens. To get around that rule, schools started outsourcing food service and janitorial service. To my knowledge, athletics haven't yet been outsourced, though they are pretty damn close to being completely independent of universities.

An example of your last point is that the Athletic Department at UA turns over "surplus funds" to the UA General Scholarship Fund. The thing is that it is the AD's call about how much to turn over - the school administration seems to just take their word for what amount is "surplus" (after the waterfalls and such are paid for). The latest figures from the Delta Cost Project state that UA's AD has spent about $200,000 or more per athlete per year every year since 2010. (All this while tuition has risen every year over that same period)
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2014 05:52 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
03-28-2014 05:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.