CSNbbs
Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari (/thread-642824.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:37 AM

One in the same

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:38 AM

Ricardo Patton
Steve Robinson
Oh,what could have been.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - georgiatiger - 08-07-2013 10:38 AM

(08-07-2013 10:31 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:27 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:18 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:13 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:05 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  You are talking about roster, I'm talking about program.

John took over a toxic program.

Like I said, Josh has done fine, but the programs they inherited were at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'd say the programs Josh has, and the program Cal had are two different animals.
When did Cal ever 'sell out' a Memphis Madness? When did Josh ever pull a 'Calipari' in order to get a raise?
People respond more positively to Josh's deferrals of the program. When he wins, he deflects credit towards his players and assistants. I imagine the people who work/worked for them would say Josh is a lot easier to work for than Calipari.
With Cal, it was ALL about Cal. HE was the master showman...and when he left, the cameras went with him. memphis was seen in Josh's first year as an after thought.
When Cal left, the program was a tottering albatross to say the least.

I disagree - Memphis has received plenty of national publicity in Josh's career so far - most of probably undeserved based on actual results on the floor against quality competition.

And Josh just pulled a Calipari to get a raise (USC).

Like I said, Josh has done fine. John did fine. They really don't need to be compared, but the program was relatively healthy and strong - the wrong hire, though, and it could've been bad news.

Better jobs than USC have contacted Josh about job openings. Josh has always politely told them no. He'd be a fool to leave Memphis for any other job that is not at an elite level like Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA etc etc. USC is a joke basketball school. Just not elite. I'm not saying we're at UK, Duke or UNC's level...but we're also not at USC's level either. We are below the bluebloods slightly...and above programs like USC slightly.
And the media has only started to warm towards Memphis recently. In his first two years Memphis was an after-thought. Cal had done such a masterful showman type of job....that the program was seen as being all about the coach.
If and when Josh ever leaves Memphis...coaches will flock to this job...because Josh has shown that it is all about the assistants, the kids, and then the resources we have in place like boosters and facilities.
You place too much emphasis on facilities.
I am sure Auburn University has given Barbee some nice resources to work with....but if you don't have strong recruiters and a strong talent pool to work with....you will fail.
Look at the job that Billy G did at UK.
He had some of the best resources in the COUNTRY and he couldn't get it done.

And yet he still leveraged USC to get more money from Memphis.

It's not a bad thing. It's business.

How did he leverage them? What did he do?

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:41 AM

(08-07-2013 10:38 AM)georgiatiger Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:18 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:13 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  I'd say the programs Josh has, and the program Cal had are two different animals.
When did Cal ever 'sell out' a Memphis Madness? When did Josh ever pull a 'Calipari' in order to get a raise?
People respond more positively to Josh's deferrals of the program. When he wins, he deflects credit towards his players and assistants. I imagine the people who work/worked for them would say Josh is a lot easier to work for than Calipari.
With Cal, it was ALL about Cal. HE was the master showman...and when he left, the cameras went with him. memphis was seen in Josh's first year as an after thought.
When Cal left, the program was a tottering albatross to say the least.

I disagree - Memphis has received plenty of national publicity in Josh's career so far - most of probably undeserved based on actual results on the floor against quality competition.

Like I said, Josh has done fine. John did fine. They really don't need to be compared, but the program was relatively healthy and strong - the wrong hire, though, and it could've been bad news.

Better jobs than USC have contacted Josh about job openings. Josh has always politely told them no. He'd be a fool to leave Memphis for any other job that is not at an elite level like Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA etc etc. USC is a joke basketball school. Just not elite. I'm not saying we're at UK, Duke or UNC's level...but we're also not at USC's level either. We are below the bluebloods slightly...and above programs like USC slightly.
And the media has only started to warm towards Memphis recently. In his first two years Memphis was an after-thought. Cal had done such a masterful showman type of job....that the program was seen as being all about the coach.
If and when Josh ever leaves Memphis...coaches will flock to this job...because Josh has shown that it is all about the assistants, the kids, and then the resources we have in place like boosters and facilities.
I am sure Auburn University has given Barbee some nice resources to work with....but if you don't have strong recruiters and a strong talent pool to work with....you will fail.

Didn't usc offer him more $?

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-07-2013 10:43 AM

(08-07-2013 09:36 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 12:00 AM)transitt Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:33 PM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:22 PM)transitt Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:14 PM)FUT Wrote:  I guess but to read some there is no way a guy as "clean and moral" as josh would go along with it.........would he?

The difference in between what I referenced and what you are talking about is that the incident in question happened after Josh was hired as HC here and Strickland/Antigua were already living in Lexington.

Whats the difference again? Josh was packed and on his way to lexington ( he signed as a witness to cals uk contract) and he was part of a group of coaches trying to steer kids from memphis to uk (what he thought was his new job). Are you saying josh would have stopped trying to lure those kids from memphis to uk if we had hired someone besides him (josh)? If he follows orders from his boss he would have done exactly what Strickland/Antigua did, right? I mean, he was doing exactly what they did just weeks earlier before we hired him. I aint mad at josh about it so no need to be mad at cal or any of the other coaches. Its in the game yo.

If you cannot see the difference than I can't help you. Strickland and Antigua came onto the Memphis campus and tried to sway CJ Henry into transferring to UK. He was a Memphis athlete, not a recruit.

You're wasting your time; our former coach was a god.

nope, I did not make him a god when he was here (like some of you) and he is not a god now. Neither is josh. Way to try and deflect and be cute though. It adds so much to the conversation.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-07-2013 10:46 AM

(08-07-2013 10:30 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Cal is a self serving jerk, arrogant, egotistical, he was a hired gun and we ALL knew it the entire time he was here.

But, to intimate that he left the program in worse shape than he found it is asinine and outright lying.

No worries.

it is clear that not ALL knew it or so many would not be so bent out of shape about any of what transpired.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - georgiatiger - 08-07-2013 10:46 AM

(08-07-2013 10:41 AM)tigerderek Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:18 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  I disagree - Memphis has received plenty of national publicity in Josh's career so far - most of probably undeserved based on actual results on the floor against quality competition.

Maybe. Maybe the school reacted to interest being expressed by other schools. I don't recall him actually interviewing. I don't see that as Josh making a play to get more money.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - btiger - 08-07-2013 10:47 AM

(08-07-2013 10:43 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:33 PM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:22 PM)transitt Wrote:  The difference in between what I referenced and what you are talking about is that the incident in question happened after Josh was hired as HC here and Strickland/Antigua were already living in Lexington.

Whats the difference again? Josh was packed and on his way to lexington ( he signed as a witness to cals uk contract) and he was part of a group of coaches trying to steer kids from memphis to uk (what he thought was his new job). Are you saying josh would have stopped trying to lure those kids from memphis to uk if we had hired someone besides him (josh)? If he follows orders from his boss he would have done exactly what Strickland/Antigua did, right? I mean, he was doing exactly what they did just weeks earlier before we hired him. I aint mad at josh about it so no need to be mad at cal or any of the other coaches. Its in the game yo.

If you cannot see the difference than I can't help you. Strickland and Antigua came onto the Memphis campus and tried to sway CJ Henry into transferring to UK. He was a Memphis athlete, not a recruit.

nope, I did not make him a god when he was here (like some of you) and he is not a god now. Neither is josh. Way to try and deflect and be cute though. It adds so much to the conversation.

i miss cal

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:47 AM

God.haha

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:48 AM

(08-07-2013 10:46 AM)georgiatiger Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:41 AM)tigerderek Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:27 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  Better jobs than USC have contacted Josh about job openings. Josh has always politely told them no. He'd be a fool to leave Memphis for any other job that is not at an elite level like Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC, UCLA etc etc. USC is a joke basketball school. Just not elite. I'm not saying we're at UK, Duke or UNC's level...but we're also not at USC's level either. We are below the bluebloods slightly...and above programs like USC slightly.

Maybe. Maybe the school reacted to interest being expressed by other schools. I don't recall him actually interviewing. I don't see that as Josh making a play to get more money.

Yeah,I didn't see that either.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-07-2013 10:50 AM

(08-07-2013 10:47 AM)btiger Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:33 PM)FUT Wrote:  Whats the difference again? Josh was packed and on his way to lexington ( he signed as a witness to cals uk contract) and he was part of a group of coaches trying to steer kids from memphis to uk (what he thought was his new job). Are you saying josh would have stopped trying to lure those kids from memphis to uk if we had hired someone besides him (josh)? If he follows orders from his boss he would have done exactly what Strickland/Antigua did, right? I mean, he was doing exactly what they did just weeks earlier before we hired him. I aint mad at josh about it so no need to be mad at cal or any of the other coaches. Its in the game yo.

i miss cal

he was GREAT for the city and the program. I miss his antics and all that winning we got to witness. I am still of the belief Josh can get us there. Hope this is the year.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 10:51 AM

(08-07-2013 10:02 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:09 AM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 10:51 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 08:22 PM)Buckeye Pete Wrote:  Cal had to rebuild the program. Josh just picked up where Cal left off.

I think it's easier to take over and run a company such as GM as opposed to building a company from the ground up such as GM.

This might be the single most clueless post I've ever read here, and that's saying something.

Instead of name calling why don't you prove him wrong? I agree with him. Cal took most of the recruiting class and we were on probation that meant nothing to recruits. That's all I can see that consists of Cal "nuking the program". We didn't have recruiting restrictions or a tournament ban. We forfeited games. Recruits could care less about that. What they knew is Memphis had just been to Sweet 16, National Title game, Elite 8, Elite 8. Josh benefited greatly from that perception from day 1. He also immediately benefited from 16,000+ at every game and high level corporate and city support.

You are forgetting a whole bunch of bad stuff, or perhaps you never knew it. Do you live in Memphis?

I've lived in a Memphis suburb for 35 years.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigerderek - 08-07-2013 10:52 AM

(08-07-2013 10:50 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 12:00 AM)transitt Wrote:  If you cannot see the difference than I can't help you. Strickland and Antigua came onto the Memphis campus and tried to sway CJ Henry into transferring to UK. He was a Memphis athlete, not a recruit.

i miss cal

he was GREAT for the city and the program. I miss his antics and all that winning we got to witness. I am still of the belief Josh can get us there. Hope this is the year.

This is the year bro! look for Pellom to bounce back after quitting the bluff.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 10:53 AM

LOL

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-07-2013 10:54 AM

(08-07-2013 10:52 AM)tigerderek Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 09:36 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  You're wasting your time; our former coach was a god.

i miss cal

off subject, did he really walk out of the bluff at halftime last night? if so was there a good reason?

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 10:54 AM

(08-07-2013 10:12 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's called remembering what that jerk actually did to our players and our fans and our program. I will NEVER forget. And that's okay. Because if we ever forget, we might just allow it to happen again.

It's called getting screwed and never forgetting it.

I'm not saying he didn't do some lowball stuff on the way out the door. He did. But that doesn't change the fact that the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Cal left than when he arrived. Also the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Pastner arrived than when Cal arrived. That's all I'm saying.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 10:57 AM

(08-07-2013 10:54 AM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:12 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's called remembering what that jerk actually did to our players and our fans and our program. I will NEVER forget. And that's okay. Because if we ever forget, we might just allow it to happen again.

I'm not saying he didn't do some lowball stuff on the way out the door. He did. But that doesn't change the fact that the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Cal left than when he arrived. Also the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Pastner arrived than when Cal arrived. That's all I'm saying.

Folks are having trouble with simple concepts.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - TigerBill - 08-07-2013 10:58 AM

(08-07-2013 10:47 AM)tigerderek Wrote:  God.haha

Or goddess, your choice.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 11:02 AM

(08-07-2013 10:57 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:54 AM)Bluebeard Wrote:  

Folks are having trouble with simple concepts.

IKR

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-07-2013 11:09 AM

(08-07-2013 10:54 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:52 AM)tigerderek Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:43 AM)FUT Wrote:  nope, I did not make him a god when he was here (like some of you) and he is not a god now. Neither is josh. Way to try and deflect and be cute though. It adds so much to the conversation.

i miss cal

off subject, did he really walk out of the bluff at halftime last night? if so was there a good reason?

Yep. Was upset with the officiating