CSNbbs
VH1's Hip Hop Honors 2008 :O - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: VH1's Hip Hop Honors 2008 :O (/thread-317535.html)

VH1's Hip Hop Honors 2008 :O - PirateTreasureNC - 09-26-2008 06:43 PM

http://www.vh1.com/shows/events/hip_hop_honors/_2008/?source=globalnav

Cyress Hill
De La Soul
Naughty By Nature
Slick Rick
Too Short

that is quite a good list there.

My own thoughts...

Cypress Hill:
I loved them from the begining. However, the only thing about their first cd was that it had some VERY STRONG SONGS like How I Could Just Kill A Man, Pigs, Latin Lingo, Hand on the Pump, and Hole in the Head but then all of the other songs were very meh IMO. Black Sunday was a solid follow up. I listened to Templs of Boom almost constantly when that arrived. I loved IV, Stoned Raiders, Skull N Bones.... They are one of the few rap groups to really do rap/rock/latin in a convincing fashion. They are deserving of being honored ....but where is a new CD from them? I also languish the fact that when they broke "weed rap" that EVERYONE in the rap game bit on them for doing it. I still like them...and wish new material would come out again. AND YES, I loved their forte into doing "real" rock music like they started with on Skull N Bones.

De La Soul:
I repsected them for being different but I could never get into them like I could their peers A Tribe Called Quest. I like the fact that they broke out with their own style and stuck to it when it was a "unfashionable" style in hip hop at the time. I do think Plugs 1,2 and 3 are all good MCs.... it will be interesting to see how they will be remembered.

Naught By Nature:
Uggh... why are they being rememberd? THey struck me as a 3 hit rap group....they managed to get a anthem song + 2 other strong singles to sell their cds...but then when you listened to all the other tracks.... it was really garbage. I only ever had a duped version of their first tape though. Don't get me wrong, I loved their hits but when I got to listen to all the other songs I didn't care for them.

Slick Rick:
I was a kind of fan... I liked his rhyme skills...and his beats for the most part. But I could just never get into him. I was able to get someone to dupe two tapes of his for me.... The Rulers Back and The Great Adventures of... I just never got into the rest of his stuff. I cna see why he was honored though...

Too Short:
Ahh an original West Coast G. I have always liked his choice of music for his beats...his rhymes are generally pretty good too. Just .... IDK.... his Parental Advisory sticker cds that were at a time I could not get the cds due to age and his lack of airplay and video play kind of forced my hand into not getting into him. I so wish I had hit up BMG when they had his catalog for sale ( too bad I didn't have the money to make a large order at that time) cause now they don't carry him anymore. I can definately see why he would be honred though...being in the game as long as he has w/o the air/video play to put him out there to more people.

RE: VH1's Hip Hop Honors 2008 :O - PirateTreasureNC - 10-07-2008 10:31 PM

I thought it was a pretty good show.

How the hell did Cypresss Hill not have "Hand on the Pump"?

Too SHort and De La Soul ripped it as well.

I personally don't think Naughty was worthy of honoring...they had like 4 catch tunes but all their other stuff was garbage.