Cyress Hill
De La Soul
Naughty By Nature
Slick Rick
Too Short

that is quite a good list there.

My own thoughts...

Cypress Hill:
I loved them from the begining. However, the only thing about their first cd was that it had some VERY STRONG SONGS like How I Could Just Kill A Man, Pigs, Latin Lingo, Hand on the Pump, and Hole in the Head but then all of the other songs were very meh IMO. Black Sunday was a solid follow up. I listened to Templs of Boom almost constantly when that arrived. I loved IV, Stoned Raiders, Skull N Bones.... They are one of the few rap groups to really do rap/rock/latin in a convincing fashion. They are deserving of being honored ....but where is a new CD from them? I also languish the fact that when they broke "weed rap" that EVERYONE in the rap game bit on them for doing it. I still like them...and wish new material would come out again. AND YES, I loved their forte into doing "real" rock music like they started with on Skull N Bones.

De La Soul:
I repsected them for being different but I could never get into them like I could their peers A Tribe Called Quest. I like the fact that they broke out with their own style and stuck to it when it was a "unfashionable" style in hip hop at the time. I do think Plugs 1,2 and 3 are all good MCs.... it will be interesting to see how they will be remembered.

Naught By Nature:
Uggh... why are they being rememberd? THey struck me as a 3 hit rap group....they managed to get a anthem song + 2 other strong singles to sell their cds...but then when you listened to all the other tracks.... it was really garbage. I only ever had a duped version of their first tape though. Don't get me wrong, I loved their hits but when I got to listen to all the other songs I didn't care for them.

Slick Rick:
I was a kind of fan... I liked his rhyme skills...and his beats for the most part. But I could just never get into him. I was able to get someone to dupe two tapes of his for me.... The Rulers Back and The Great Adventures of... I just never got into the rest of his stuff. I cna see why he was honored though...

Too Short:
Ahh an original West Coast G. I have always liked his choice of music for his beats...his rhymes are generally pretty good too. Just .... IDK.... his Parental Advisory sticker cds that were at a time I could not get the cds due to age and his lack of airplay and video play kind of forced my hand into not getting into him. I so wish I had hit up BMG when they had his catalog for sale ( too bad I didn't have the money to make a large order at that time) cause now they don't carry him anymore. I can definately see why he would be honred though...being in the game as long as he has w/o the air/video play to put him out there to more people.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2008 09:20 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
09-26-2008 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: VH1's Hip Hop Honors 2008 :O
I thought it was a pretty good show.

How the hell did Cypresss Hill not have "Hand on the Pump"?

Too SHort and De La Soul ripped it as well.

I personally don't think Naughty was worthy of honoring...they had like 4 catch tunes but all their other stuff was garbage.
10-07-2008 10:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.