Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - NHL in Houston?
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
OT - NHL in Houston?
https://www.chron.com/sports/article/til...680051.php

So the big question is ….

Would Tiki support a Tilman Fertitta owned NHL franchise?
02-21-2024 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: OT - NHL in Houston?
(02-21-2024 02:49 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Would Tiki support a Tilman Fertitta owned NHL franchise?

Better than none.
02-21-2024 06:34 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Better than…I agree. The question is he willing to pay the $1B fee for an expansion team. While the Coyotes are probably available, moving them to SLC or Quebec City makes more sense for the NHL as both have arenas and possible new ownership groups ready to go. Under the current expansion rules, having an expansion team is far better (outside of the fee) as the rules make it far easier to have a competitive team sooner than later compared to previous expansions before Vegas. Of course you need a GM and staff that understands how the expansion terms can best be used. Vegas invented the plan and Seattle played it pretty well too. Also it makes no sense for Fretitta to just have a tenant rather than own it himself as he would want all the advertising money coming from the boards and elsewhere. That was the hangup with Les Alexander…he didn’t want to own the team but he wanted every penny from the arena advertising which no tenant would ever agree to.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2024 07:50 PM by Tiki Owl.)
02-21-2024 07:40 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Well, $1B spent on an expansion team would be less Tilman could spend on the Coogs. There is that.
02-21-2024 08:59 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I’m in DC this week, right down the street from the Capital One Center. I was walking past the arena last night before the Caps/Devils game and it was a neat vibe.

In this city at least, there seems to be way more NHL fans than the NBA. But I am not sure that would ever be the case in Houston.
02-21-2024 09:25 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(02-21-2024 09:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I’m in DC this week, right down the street from the Capital One Center. I was walking past the arena last night before the Caps/Devils game and it was a neat vibe.

In this city at least, there seems to be way more NHL fans than the NBA. But I am not sure that would ever be the case in Houston.

Caps are planning on relocating out of DC to Northern Virginia, interestingly.

I think the relative difference in success between the Caps/Wizards explains the popularity differences between the two teams… Though that hasn’t stopped the Knicks from being just as popular as the Rangers here in the NYC area.
02-21-2024 11:00 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(02-21-2024 11:00 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  
(02-21-2024 09:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I’m in DC this week, right down the street from the Capital One Center. I was walking past the arena last night before the Caps/Devils game and it was a neat vibe.

Caps are planning on relocating out of DC to Northern Virginia, interestingly.

I think the relative difference in success between the Caps/Wizards explains the popularity differences between the two teams… Though that hasn’t stopped the Knicks from being just as popular as the Rangers here in the NYC area.

There is a definite bandwagon level of support that tends to reflect in attendance for the Capitals and Wizards.

Currently, with the Wizards being a pile of ****, you're not going to get much attendance.

Right now, the state side of financing is dead in the VA legislature and quite probably won't get approved before the end of the legislative session. (Part-time legislators.) Part of it is horse-trading negotiations between the Dems who lead both houses and the Republican governor who negotiated the original deal to move them to VA. We'll see what happens.
02-22-2024 11:06 AM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
Isnt the NHL more of a white sport and thus easier to sell tickets to the white population? As a result, wouldnt the Woodlands be a better location for the NHL instead of downntown Houston?

02-22-2024 08:54 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2024 08:54 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  Isnt the NHL more of a white sport and thus easier to sell tickets to the white population? As a result, wouldnt the Woodlands be a better location for the NHL instead of downntown Houston?

Check out the stands at any Astros home game.
02-22-2024 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
I went to one Aeros game. I had fun, but hockey just isn't my thing. It's not a good omen that our semi-pro franchise folded. I'm not convinced that there are enough people here who appreciate the sport. Anyway, more power to him. Maybe he can bring in an NHL team and keep the Aeros name. I did like the name and branding. The logo and colors were unique. There's a cool bit of history there to promote, if he wanted, but he'd probably name the team after himself.
02-23-2024 10:03 AM
Rice93 Online
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(02-23-2024 10:03 AM)Ourland Wrote:  I went to one Aeros game. I had fun, but hockey just isn't my thing. It's not a good omen that our semi-pro franchise folded. I'm not convinced that there are enough people here who appreciate the sport. Anyway, more power to him. Maybe he can bring in an NHL team and keep the Aeros name. I did like the name and branding. The logo and colors were unique. There's a cool bit of history there to promote, if he wanted, but he'd probably name the team after himself.

Houston D-Bags?
02-23-2024 10:10 AM
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I think a NHL team in Houston could be very well supported.

I'm unconvinced that its a northern vs. southern issue, vs. a "constantly sucks vs. doesn't suck" issue. The Lightning, Stars, Predators, LA Kings, etc all have great fanbases, whereas teams like the Ottawa Senators and Columbus Blue Jackets struggle to fill seats.

Of course, there are some teams that will always will their rinks no matter the record (Canadiens, Leafs, Bruins, etc), but for most of the other franchises, attendance is heavily dependent on being competitive.
02-23-2024 10:25 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(02-23-2024 10:03 AM)Ourland Wrote:  I went to one Aeros game. I had fun, but hockey just isn't my thing. It's not a good omen that our semi-pro franchise folded. I'm not convinced that there are enough people here who appreciate the sport. Anyway, more power to him. Maybe he can bring in an NHL team and keep the Aeros name. I did like the name and branding. The logo and colors were unique. There's a cool bit of history there to promote, if he wanted, but he'd probably name the team after himself.

You obviously have no idea of the history of the Aeros. The WHA Aeros were selling out the Coliseum while the Rockets were drawing 3500 a game in the Astrohall. The Summit (now Osteen’s church) was built more because of the Aeros. What happened several years later why the Aeros were not included in the NHL/WHA merger was due to Ken Schnitzer (the developer of Greenway Plaza).

Dallas never had a WHA team and for the most part had little amateur and youth hockey, but after the North Stars moved all that changed and Dallas is seen as a Sun Belt success story. The reluctance of the arena owners to want hockey in their buildings has kept Houston’s interest in the NHL to a minimum. Tilman is the first really express a desire to have a team.

BTW no version of the Aeros was ever a semi-pro team. The post WHA Aeros were members of the IHL and AHL. The AHL Aeros were a farm team of the Minnesota Wild.
02-23-2024 11:16 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

Loved the WHA Aeros. Gordie, Mark and Marty Howe, Terry Ruskowski, Paul Popiel, Don Larway, Cam Connor. Growing up in Houston, I knew nothing about hockey, but the young lady I dated while getting my BS at Rice was from Cleveland and a big hockey fan. After attending a couple of games, I was hooked.
02-23-2024 12:47 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2024 11:16 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

You obviously have no idea of the history of the Aeros. The WHA Aeros were selling out the Coliseum while the Rockets were drawing 3500 a game in the Astrohall. The Summit (now Osteen’s church) was built more because of the Aeros. What happened several years later why the Aeros were not included in the NHL/WHA merger was due to Ken Schnitzer (the developer of Greenway Plaza).

Dallas never had a WHA team and for the most part had little amateur and youth hockey, but after the North Stars moved all that changed and Dallas is seen as a Sun Belt success story. The reluctance of the arena owners to want hockey in their buildings has kept Houston’s interest in the NHL to a minimum. Tilman is the first really express a desire to have a team.

BTW no version of the Aeros was ever a semi-pro team. The post WHA Aeros were members of the IHL and AHL. The AHL Aeros were a farm team of the Minnesota Wild.

Thanks for going out of your way to point that out. No, I didn't know that there was an AHL Aeros in the 70's. It sounds like they folded, and then returned sometime in the early 90's, only to fold again in 2013. I wonder why it didn't work out. I heard attendance wasn't bad.

Anyway, there's some interesting history there that Fertitta could use to his advantage. The name and branding are already there for the taking.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2024 02:48 PM by Ourland.)
02-23-2024 02:33 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

It sounds like the Arizona Coyotes are looking for a new home after this season, and Fertitta controls Toyota Center. So, there's that.
02-23-2024 02:39 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators

The 1994-2013 Aeros won the IHL's Turner Cup in 1991 and the AHL's Calder Cup in 2003. On the latter occasion their victory parade was shared a certain college baseball team.

Also, the Aeros didn't "fold". Rather, when the existing lease expired in 2013, Rockets owner Les Alexander (who controlled Toyota Center) demanded a rent increase of over 500%. Faced with such an extortionate demand, the Minnesota Wild decided to relocate the Aeros to another city. The prime (arguably only) causal factor in Houston losing the team was the deliberate intransigence of Alexander, not any lack of support among Houston fans.
02-23-2024 03:25 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2024 03:25 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  

The 1994-2013 Aeros won the IHL's Turner Cup in 1991 and the AHL's Calder Cup in 2003. On the latter occasion their victory parade was shared a certain college baseball team.

Also, the Aeros didn't "fold". Rather, when the existing lease expired in 2013, Rockets owner Les Alexander (who controlled Toyota Center) demanded a rent increase of over 500%. Faced with such an extortionate demand, the Minnesota Wild decided to relocate the Aeros to another city. The prime (arguably only) causal factor in Houston losing the team was the deliberate intransigence of Alexander, not any lack of support among Houston fans.

I did a little digging on the subject just now and read that. It looks like Les Alexander pushed them out of town in order to try and make money with concerts instead, that way he would get to keep the lion's share of gate money and concession sales.

Being that Fertitta controls the lease with Toyota Center, a lease agreement wouldn't be an issue.
02-23-2024 03:35 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2024 02:33 PM)Ourland Wrote:  Thanks for going out of your way to point that out. No, I didn't know that there was an AHL Aeros in the 70's. It sounds like they folded, and then returned sometime in the early 90's, only to fold again in 2013. I wonder why it didn't work out. I heard attendance wasn't bad.

Anyway, there's some interesting history there that Fertitta could use to his advantage. The name and branding are already there for the taking.

The WHA (World Hockey Association) was a major league hockey organization that competed with the NHL from '72-'79. In 1977, the NHL owners voted down a proposed merger of 6 of the WHA teams, including the Houston Aeros. In 1979 a merger involving 4 teams was approved - Edmonton Oilers, New England (renamed Hartford) Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, and Winnipeg Jets.

Later incarnations of the Aeros in the IHL and then AHL were minor league teams. The IHL 1994 expansion Aeros chose their name as a well-deserved tip of the hat to the original WHA Aeros.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2024 04:15 PM by Tomball Owl.)
02-23-2024 04:13 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

Am I the only one who went to Apollos games in the late 1960s? My dad had tickets. The Coliseum sure seemed empty.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
02-23-2024 04:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.