Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Biden*s Disappointing Economy: September Jobs Report Below Expectations
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Biden*s Disappointing Economy: September Jobs Report Below Expectations
Quote:The September jobs report is in, and it's a disappointment for the American people and an embarrassment for the Biden administration - or it would be if they were capable of being embarrassed.

The U.S. economy added 89,000 private-sector jobs in September, according to payroll firm ADP. Economists polled by Dow Jones were expecting nearly double that amount at 160,000 jobs.

Numbers for August were revised up to 180,000 jobs added to the economy.

“We are seeing a steepening decline in jobs this month,” Nela Richardson, chief economist for ADP, said in a statement. “Additionally, we are seeing a steady decline in wages in the past 12 months.”

Let's dig into some of these numbers just a bit.

Leisure and hospitality jobs drove the gains in September, adding 92,000 jobs, while transportation jobs decreased by 13,000 and business services jobs dropped by 32,000.

Broken down by business size, small and medium-sized businesses added 167,000 jobs, while large companies shed 83,000 jobs on the month.

Note that last bit; small and medium-sized businesses are adding (a disappointing number of) jobs, while large companies are shedding employees. Also, the bright spot - such as it is - is in leisure and hospitality. More on that in a moment.

With about 6.38 million people looking for a job in the U.S. in August, the ratio of open jobs to job-seekers hit 1.5, a number that still favors workers. That’s down slightly from 1.52 in July, according to the latest numbers from the Labor Department.

That's a brighter note, but it's also curious as to how, in a country where inflation is still slamming consumers, there are this many jobs per worker available. One could quite likely find the answer above, where we see the one area driving September gains: Leisure and hospitality. Those, traditionally, are not high-paying jobs; they are not jobs that deliver generous benefits to employees.

The manufacturing sector has been, traditionally, a sector that delivers good-paying jobs with more generous benefits, and it's the manufacturing sector, in the post-COVID world, that is struggling to re-shore and recover.

This isn't what a soft landing looks like, as my colleague Joe Cunningham informed us Wednesday morning.

In a recent article, another colleague, Mike Miller, reported on a Gallup survey showing that their poll sample favored the GOP over the Democrats on a variety of pressing issues, not least of which is the economy. The summary of that piece says:

Fifty-three percent of Americans believe the Republican Party will do a better job of keeping the country prosperous over the next few years, whereas 39% choose the Democratic Party.
A slightly larger majority, 57%, have greater faith in the Republican Party to protect the country from international terrorism and military threats, while 35% favor the Democrats.
Fifty-three percent of people believe the Republican Party will do a better job of keeping the country prosperous over the next few years, whereas 39% choose the Democratic Party.
The Republican Party has led on this measure in all but two readings in the trend originating in 2002, but today’s margin is one of the widest in that more limited stretch of time.
This is an advantage the GOP can press, certainly, but they shouldn't muster up too much hubris; these are numbers that favor Republicans in the 2024 election, but they will have to follow through vigorously, and the best way to do that? Cut spending. Cut regulations. Get the government out of the way. The private sector, not the government, is what drives growth. The government (just to belabor the obvious for a moment) cannot create, it can only take and redistribute, soaking up a great deal of the private sector's resources in the process.

If we are to have lasting prosperity in the United States, the government needs to stay out of the way of creators - and I don't mean actors, singers, painters, and writers. I mean the people who create new products and services, people who innovate, people who create new products and new services that people are willing to pay for. The government does not create jobs; innovators and entrepreneurs create jobs. A mature company like John Deere or Ford Motors doesn't generate many new jobs; their workforce is pretty stable. But an entrepreneur might start in his garage, then hire two employees the second year, ten the third, and a hundred the fourth - this is where job growth comes from. In my life, I've worked for a fair number of start-ups, and I've seen this happen first-hand. This is how the economy grows. And this is the only way we'll ever get out of the current spending and debt crisis if it isn't already too late.

Link

Wait till they refine the number down further in a couple months.
10-04-2023 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
RE: Biden*s Disappointing Economy: September Jobs Report Below Expectations
Waiting for Tom to tell us this is actually great news that we're too stupid to understand.
10-04-2023 12:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Joe has no control over these things when they are negative.......

But whenever there is a positive number Joe's hands are all over that like a Chinese Donation.
10-04-2023 12:58 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(10-04-2023 12:58 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Joe has no control over these things when they are negative.......

But whenever there is a positive number Joe's hands are all over that like a Chinese Donation.

I thought you were going to say 8 year old girl, but Chinese Donation is pretty good too.....
10-04-2023 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Narrator: The September Jobs Report is NOT in. It's released on Friday mornings.

This is the ADP report. It's not the official report. The ADP report can and does vary wildly at times from the official report. 07-coffee3
10-05-2023 06:41 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(10-04-2023 12:58 PM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  Waiting for Tom to tell us this is actually great news that we're too stupid to understand.

Even though I don't believe I've ever once touted any jobs report as "great news".

Rather, I just report factual information and you mopes go off on your ridiculous talking point tangents.

THAT is what you're apparently too stupid to understand. 03-zzz
10-05-2023 06:44 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Odd.. I don't remember you posting the "factual" numbers news between 2017 and January 2021...

Maybe I missed it.
10-05-2023 07:24 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

Wait till the striking auto workers hit this month's numbers.
10-05-2023 07:29 AM
WalkThePlank Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Biden*s Disappointing Economy: September Jobs Report Below Expectations
Even when the official numbers come in, it will be revised down just like every single month so far in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-05-2023 08:18 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(10-04-2023 09:13 PM)blah Wrote:  
(10-04-2023 12:58 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Joe has no control over these things when they are negative.......

I thought you were going to say 8 year old girl, but Chinese Donation is pretty good too.....

or "his daughter in the shower" works as well....
10-05-2023 08:28 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
C’mon man! We’re building back better!!
10-05-2023 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(10-05-2023 07:24 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Odd.. I don't remember you posting the "factual" numbers news between 2017 and January 2021...

Maybe I missed it.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-811963.html
https://csnbbs.com/thread-867699.html
https://csnbbs.com/thread-872026.html
https://csnbbs.com/thread-877480.html

I had only started 5 threads on jobs report in the 4 years before that time.

I did start posting it more frequently recently, mostly coinciding with us finally getting back out of all the Covid shutdowns.

07-coffee3
10-05-2023 09:18 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-05-2023 08:29 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  C’mon man! We’re building back better!!

The Biden* disaster continues...
10-05-2023 09:34 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

(10-05-2023 09:18 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(10-05-2023 07:24 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Odd.. I don't remember you posting the "factual" numbers news between 2017 and January 2021...

Maybe I missed it.

I did start posting it more frequently recently, mostly coinciding with us finally getting back out of all the Covid shutdowns.

07-coffee3

Whew... thanks for clearing that up Tom.

I don't know how we all would have been able to get a good night sleep without knowing this.

07-coffee307-coffee307-coffee3
10-05-2023 11:15 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(10-05-2023 09:18 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

Maybe I missed it.

07-coffee3

There ya go. It was only 5x, that's probably why I don't recall it. Thanks for that Tom.

I need to go look at your last 2 years worth and see if you were snarky to Biden vs Trump...
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 11:43 AM by gdunn.)
10-05-2023 11:42 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Surprised to see that in all the Trump posts that RWT posted he has some type of SA comment...

But nothing for Joe.. Just the "facts".
10-05-2023 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(10-05-2023 11:50 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Surprised to see that in all the Trump posts that RWT posted he has some type of SA comment...

But nothing for Joe.. Just the "facts".

Dillweed, I wasn't talking about every ******* post of mine for all eternity. 04-chairshot

I was referring to my thread starts on the jobs report which was what I was called out on. Pretty much every one of them just posted a link that noted the numbers from the jobs report. And about every time I was immediately met with mopes trying to claim that merely posting these facts is somehow saying the economy is great or that Biden did something good.
10-05-2023 12:22 PM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

Man I love it when an unemployment or Inflation thread starts....

Watching TJP get dizzy spinning around like a top never gets old.

In each of your posts you reference - you consider as bad news for Trump, which is why you posted them. Likewise in current time, the posts you start on these specific subjects are only ones that may be considered positive for Biden.

It's science TJP. Trust the science...
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 12:30 PM by Eldonabe.)
10-05-2023 12:29 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

(10-05-2023 12:29 PM)Eldonabe Wrote:  Man I love it when an unemployment or Inflation thread starts....

Watching TJP get dizzy spinning around like a top never gets old.

In each of your posts you reference - you consider as bad news for Trump, which is why you posted them. Likewise in current time, the posts you start on these specific subjects are only ones that may be considered positive for Biden.

It's science TJP. Trust the science...

You're a clown. Please describe, in detail, what in this post I considered bad news for trump?

You REALLY need to seek professional help.
10-05-2023 12:33 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(10-05-2023 06:41 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Narrator: The September Jobs Report is NOT in. It's released on Friday mornings.

This is the ADP report. It's not the official report. The ADP report can and does vary wildly at times from the official report. 07-coffee3

Yup---recently the two reports have varied from each other quite substantially. Usually they track fairly close to one another. In fact, I dont remember a time where they were more different.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2023 12:48 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-05-2023 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.