Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There'll be a significant push to get UConn into the Big 12'
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There'll be a significant push to get UConn into the Big 12'
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2023 09:53 PM by BeatWestern!.)
07-07-2023 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boots Offline
2nd String

I Root For: *Memphis
RE: Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There will be a significant push to get UConn in the Big 12'
Yormark loves him some UConn.

So if Pac sticks together and SDSU and SMU go to Pac…

Who does Yormark try to sell to the presidents to go to Big 12 with UConn?
07-07-2023 09:56 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
RE: Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There'll be a significant push to get UConn into the Big 12'
Maybe a push by UConn. Like SDSU, only if PAC or ACC teams come first. Or BB suddenly becomes much more valuable, or UConn wins the FB NC three years in a row.

So, there is a chance.
07-07-2023 10:03 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There'll be a significant push to get UConn into the Big 12'
But what will it cost the Big 12? And what would the financial value be to UConn?

Interest is worthless without a dollar sign attached to it.
07-07-2023 10:05 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
UConn & USF would IMO be the G5 pair to expand with if expansion is that serious to you.

Memphis just misses out because USF makes too much sense if you also have UCF.
07-07-2023 10:05 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
No thanks. BB is valuable and maybe undervalued, but football still drives the bus and the majority of the Big 12 contract. UCONN's football has the value of a MAC football team.
07-07-2023 10:09 PM
Advertisement

Garden_KC Online
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
UConn and Memphis.

Memphis has good chemistry with the XII footprint as a basketball first university.
07-07-2023 10:17 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
The one scenario people don’t seem to consider much is this: what if only one Pac school joins the B12?

For #14 spot, Yormark would push for UConn.
07-07-2023 10:44 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
No UConn.
07-07-2023 11:14 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-07-2023 10:03 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Maybe a push by UConn. Like SDSU, only if PAC or ACC teams come first. Or BB suddenly becomes much more valuable, or UConn wins the FB NC three years in a row.

So, there is a chance.

Thats what Im thinking. Personally, I think they make more sense as a non-football addition. I'd be ok with a 2 or 3 game a year football scheduling agreement as part of that deal---but I'd hold off on doing non-football deals until the P12 and ACC drama all plays out.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2023 11:26 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-07-2023 11:25 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
on east side of B-12, Conn the most valuable school out there.
between GOR, exit fee's, BB credits & entrance fee's, no ACC school gonna be available to B-12 untill 2040

now at west: Wash, Org, ASU cancell out Wsu, Osu, Ariz
Utah, B-12 got BYU
Colo, how long does hype last from Dion.
Stanford, Cal, they would never lower themselfs to B-12

Wash, Org, ASU, Conn, now B-12 at 16
07-08-2023 12:04 AM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(07-07-2023 10:44 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The one scenario people don’t seem to consider much is this: what if only one Pac school joins the B12?

Then you just add SDSU which would make infinitely more sense as potential partner to an Arizona/Colorado add than UConn would.
07-08-2023 01:12 AM
bryanw1995 Online
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
"they're terrible in football and have travel issues"

aka

"Nobody else is grabbing them so why should the big 12?"

See how they do over the rest of the decade in football. See if they travel better. See if they win a lot of football games. See if their basketball holds up. Then, when it's time to negotiate a new media rights deal, see if they add value.

Yes
No

Check whichever applies, send invite or not as appropriate.

The only way I can see UConn in the big 12 for now is as a non-football member, probably joining with Gonzaga.
07-08-2023 01:35 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
UConn does not have the votes to get into the Big 12.
07-08-2023 01:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-07-2023 11:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-07-2023 10:03 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  Maybe a push by UConn. Like SDSU, only if PAC or ACC teams come first. Or BB suddenly becomes much more valuable, or UConn wins the FB NC three years in a row.

So, there is a chance.

Thats what Im thinking. Personally, I think they make more sense as a non-football addition. I'd be ok with a 2 or 3 game a year football scheduling agreement as part of that deal---but I'd hold off on doing non-football deals until the P12 and ACC drama all plays out.

But the Big East is THE perfect non-football league for UConn, so moving to the Big 12 only on that basis is of no interest to them. The Big East is also already paying P5-level money for basketball based on the 80/20 football/basketball value ratio (something that is continuously neglected in this analysis), so it wouldn’t be a financial windfall for UConn to move unless it’s for a full membership in the Big 12.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I really believe Yormark wants to expand in and of itself. It’s not “Four Corners or Bust” for him. Now, whether the Big 12 presidents think differently is another matter, but Yormark himself is clearly wanting to put his mark via expansion at all costs (and his quotes all point to it).
07-08-2023 01:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(07-07-2023 10:44 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The one scenario people don’t seem to consider much is this: what if only one Pac school joins the B12?

IMHO, it’s all or nothing on the Big 12 taking Pac-12 schools.

Either the Pac-12 TV deal is so bad that all Four Corners schools leave or it’s good enough that all of them stay. I don’t buy that just 1 or 2 Pac-12 schools would leave. There’s not a universe where the TV deal is good enough for Arizona but not good enough for Colorado. Heck, even if that were the case initially, the domino effect would be Colorado leaving would in turn make the TV deal even worse and then spur other schools to leave at that point, so it would be the same outcome.
07-08-2023 01:48 AM
Advertisement

templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
Colorado said they do not have the money to pay Dion when they signed him.
travel cost would go down in B-12 and get more visiting fans from B-12 schools.

as for Arizona, travel would increase in B-12
with Pac new revenue plan, they keep money from BB credits
that might be a wash for Arizona
07-08-2023 03:19 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
It’s funny how BY somehow has all the say and clout in the Big 12 whereas in the PAC/ACC, the commissioners are puppets and the presidents have 100% say in who’s invited. BY has done nothing of note yet aside from the aggressive renegotiations and has yet to land PAC schools. If he resorts to this (barring getting UConn at a steep discount), he loses all credibility.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2023 04:49 AM by RUScarlets.)
07-08-2023 04:48 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-08-2023 03:19 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Colorado said they do not have the money to pay Dion when they signed him.
travel cost would go down in B-12 and get more visiting fans from B-12 schools.

as for Arizona, travel would increase in B-12
with Pac new revenue plan, they keep money from BB credits
that might be a wash for Arizona

I think the delay is to set up a potential simultaneous move to set up a 16-team Big 12. Another reason why would Zona stay? Perhaps to take advantage of SoCal recruiting. Maybe the glove fits only for Boulder but not the rest. I find it unlikely but possible. But you really need all four moving together.

I could see UO and UW sticking it out in a 6-team PAC for two more years if a B1G invite is already in hand, but perhaps not in time for the 24’ season. Help setup the PAC 2.0 by adding UNLV CSU SMU, with the less prestigious schools like USU BSU and UTSA perhaps backfilling UO UW Stanford when the time comes for B1G expansion.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2023 05:06 AM by RUScarlets.)
07-08-2023 04:59 AM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Dodd on ESPN 960 radio: 'There'll be a significant push to get UConn into t
Everyone ignoring the hidden bonus: the return of the revered UConn/UCF Civil ConFLiCT rivalry trophy!
07-08-2023 05:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.