Open TigerLinks

Black Saturday - July 1, 2023
Bookmark and Share
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
It was a black day for Memphis 2 years ago when we got left out - again.

Today may very well be the blackest day in Tiger sports history as somehow being relegated to 2nd class citizens feels permanent this time.

Getting left behind in CUSA when Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF got Big East invites was horrible but this time is worse because all of the work, effort, and money invested and all the strides made meant nothing in the end . Back then Memphis was lagging behind - now? After having done everything we needed to do to move up - and it's all for naught.

Eventually those of us who remember this futile struggle will pass away and a new generation of fans content with bring 2nd class citizens and the table scraps that come with that position will be what's left and maybe they will be happier for their acceptance and lack of these memories.

Wear your black armbands to commemorate the funeral day for Memphis athletic aspirations.

Whether you make today a wake or a more traditional funeral is up to you but make no mistake - unless lightning strikes and the expansion fairy delivers 'the invitation ' history will remember today as the day Memphis athletic aspirations died.
07-01-2023 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Black Saturday - July 1, 2023
It does feel that way. Seeing the UM social media posts “welcome new AAC members” 03-puke
07-01-2023 08:18 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-01-2023 07:54 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  It was a black day for Memphis 2 years ago when we got left out - again.

Today may very well be the blackest day in Tiger sports history as somehow being relegated to 2nd class citizens feels permanent this time.

Getting left behind in CUSA when Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF got Big East invites was horrible but this time is worse because all of the work, effort, and money invested and all the strides made meant nothing in the end . Back then Memphis was lagging behind - now? After having done everything we needed to do to move up - and it's all for naught.

Eventually those of us who remember this futile struggle will pass away and a new generation of fans content with bring 2nd class citizens and the table scraps that come with that position will be what's left and maybe they will be happier for their acceptance and lack of these memories.

Wear your black armbands to commemorate the funeral day for Memphis athletic aspirations.

Whether you make today a wake or a more traditional funeral is up to you but make no mistake - unless lightning strikes and the expansion fairy delivers 'the invitation ' history will remember today as the day Memphis athletic aspirations died.

And we'll still have a revolving door leadership that continues to do the same things over & over again expecting different results with trustees who "love" our university but have personal interests tied to the city that they love more.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2023 09:04 AM by Atlanta.)
07-01-2023 08:21 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2023 08:18 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  It does feel that way. Seeing the UM social media posts “welcome new AAC members” 03-puke

The conference is much worse than it was when it formed.

Memphis should be in a position to take advantage of it but - as usual - we're not.

Football is down and will be lucky to finish 3rd or 4th - that won't get the playoff spot - I'd expect the Sunbelt or the MWC to get the G5 spot this year.

Basketball should be 'ok' but outside of FAU (which is likely just a flash in the pan) it will be just about impossible to build any kind of tournament resume playing in the AAC. So, you have to schedule a super tough OOC slate and - when 90% of the roster is turning over every year disrupting chemistry - can you expect to win those games? It's a crap shoot.

There is no money to strengthen non-revenue sports - a G5 has to pick where it deploys its very limited financial capital so - baseball, soccer, track & field, etc just scrape along on a shoestring budget and suffer. G5's are basically now just 'try out' schools and many athletes overlooked out of high school will come in for a year or two and then get plucked by power schools with the money to pay them.

The biggest problem is football. Memphis leadership has completely screwed up - again.....
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2023 08:36 AM by bluebacker.)
07-01-2023 08:34 AM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

(07-01-2023 08:34 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  
(07-01-2023 08:18 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  It does feel that way. Seeing the UM social media posts “welcome new AAC members” 03-puke

Memphis should be in a position to take advantage of it but - as usual - we're not.

Football is down and will be lucky to finish 3rd or 4th - that won't get the playoff spot - I'd expect the Sunbelt or the MWC to get the G5 spot this year.

Basketball should be 'ok' but outside of FAU (which is likely just a flash in the pan) it will be just about impossible to build any kind of tournament resume playing in the AAC. So, you have to schedule a super tough OOC slate and - when 90% of the roster is turning over every year disrupting chemistry - can you expect to win those games? It's a crap shoot.

There is no money to strengthen non-revenue sports - a G5 has to pick where it deploys its very limited financial capital so - baseball, soccer, track & field, etc just scrape along on a shoestring budget and suffer. G5's are basically now just 'try out' schools and many athletes overlooked out of high school will come in for a year or two and then get plucked by power schools with the money to pay them.

The biggest problem is football. Memphis leadership has completely screwed up - again.....

Just a reminder that our football program record is 347-355-8.
07-01-2023 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMark Offline
Heisman

Yeah, I just sat through the SportsCenter story about the 'new Big 12'. I don't know about wearing black armbands, but it's a very sad and empty feeling.
07-01-2023 10:02 AM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2023 09:21 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

So what? What is our record post-Porter?
07-01-2023 10:05 AM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

(07-01-2023 10:05 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  

So what? What is our record post-Porter?

85-55

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch...index.html
07-01-2023 11:19 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Relegated? We are in the same place we were a week ago.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
07-01-2023 11:23 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-01-2023 11:23 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Relegated? We are in the same place we were a week ago.

The conference didn't get worse?
07-01-2023 11:48 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(07-01-2023 11:48 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  
(07-01-2023 11:23 AM)fsquid Wrote:  Relegated? We are in the same place we were a week ago.

The conference didn't get worse?

It did in football, but we are still the strongest G5 conference in the nation. The playoff rep will come from the American 8 out of 10 years in my opinion.
07-01-2023 01:40 PM
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation

you are way out of the ball park....wrong

Memphis has been playing football since 1912... our record stands at 522-535-33 all time.
You cannot always go by the websites you go to... I went to the Memphis website, added up wins, losses and ties year by year, by the coaches.
A lot of folks compiling web stats are lazy about checking facts.
Even Wikipedia knows this...

[Image: E7DP9GY.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2023 02:56 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
07-01-2023 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
The news of San Diego State staying in the Mountain West is not good for us. Makes me believe that the Big 12 is about to raid the Pac 12
07-01-2023 02:57 PM
tigerfan39 Offline
Special Teams

I thought IKE said we were all going to be happy.
07-01-2023 03:14 PM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I went through the doom and gloom depression cycle just after we were left out yet once again. At the time it seemed we were close - very close; which made it all that worse after the announcement. And it lasted a bit - still stings. Dejected, pissed, and feeling UM was once again being denied despite program building investments and excellent on the field performance.

However, at the end of the day you just have to get back up and continue on to continuing on. What else is there? I can't just turn off being a Memphian, a Memphis State grad - nor a supporting fan of all things Tigers along with all the associated roller coaster ride ups and downs and drama that comes along with membership in that particular club.

So - I made the decision: I could continue to be dejected and miserable about it all - or - try to look on the brighter side of things with restored hope and enthusiasm - such as all that might actually represent. I choose continued support and belief of better things to come. For a lifelong Tiger fan - what else is there? So...I vote for continued building of the U with both on the field results and continuous academic improvements that represent not just some faint tapping on major conference doors; but rather, a thunderous banging that threatens to cave it in. Do not go gentle and all that.

So...rally Tigers Everywhere...shake off the doom and gloom and continue the fight.....support, attend, and give. We belong!
07-01-2023 03:21 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

(07-01-2023 02:52 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

Memphis has been playing football since 1912... our record stands at 522-535-33 all time.
You cannot always go by the websites you go to... I went to the Memphis website, added up wins, losses and ties year by year, by the coaches.

We need trips web site back up and working

Get ur done
07-01-2023 03:23 PM
Advertisement

dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
Home schedule is ok this year after the first game. Navy, Boise and Tulane should bring decent crowds. But its truly a sad day for Memphis athletics. I've not kept up with season ticket sales. That should give everyone a feel for how the fanbase feels overall.
07-01-2023 03:41 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
One good year by Tulane isn't going to move the needle. Boise is interesting. Missouri as an SEC opponent would have been. Navy is always a big draw.

If we have a great season - as in stay 1st or 2nd in the conference all year and beat Boise then we'll average close to 30k. If the season falls apart early then it'll be 15-20k at home games for year 4 of Silvercrap.

Outside of Boise & Navy (because they are Navy) if the Tigers lose a 3rd game most of the fans are just going to check out and who can blame them after a 30-40 year struggle has resulted in 'this'.
07-01-2023 03:59 PM
dcg141 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Leaving the AAC
(07-01-2023 03:59 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  One good year by Tulane isn't going to move the needle. Boise is interesting. Missouri as an SEC opponent would have been. Navy is always a big draw.

If we have a great season - as in stay 1st or 2nd in the conference all year and beat Boise then we'll average close to 30k. If the season falls apart early then it'll be 15-20k at home games for year 4 of Silvercrap.

Outside of Boise & Navy (because they are Navy) if the Tigers lose a 3rd game most of the fans are just going to check out and who can blame them after a 30-40 year struggle has resulted in 'this'.

I think beating Boise, Missouri and Tulane is going to be a stretch for us. Winning 2 will keep the wolves at bay, one will be about on par given what we have done. Losing our starting TE to Ole Miss really hurts. We lose all 3 and the season is done.
07-01-2023 04:33 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-01-2023 02:52 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

If we could go back and replay decisions from 1984 -2011 we'd probably be a happy P5 conference member playing in an OCS & OCA.
07-01-2023 04:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.