Higher Education Enrollment
11-24-2022 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
RE: Higher Education Enrollment
Thanks for the link. Some things to think about in there that will impact our university is several ways, and how much leadership may have to react to in the future.
11-24-2022 03:08 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Yeah there were reports coming out last year about the decline of men going to or graduating from college. With Memphis specifically they need to address the high withdrawal rate. I don't think it's fair to the school's perception nor these students that aren't/never will be ready for a four-year school to keep things going as it has. Failure is a part of life, but this is one that could be mitigated better.
11-24-2022 04:05 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
(11-24-2022 04:05 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Yeah there were reports coming out last year about the decline of men going to or graduating from college. With Memphis specifically they need to address the high withdrawal rate. I don't think it's fair to the school's perception nor these students that aren't/never will be ready for a four-year school to keep things going as it has. Failure is a part of life, but this is one that could be mitigated better.

The decline among males attending college will lead to a shift in American households where women will eventually become the primary breadwinner & men’s roles will be further compromised. This should be an alarming statistic for believers in the traditional American family.
11-24-2022 05:12 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

1. We’ve known about the shrinkage coming for 20 years.
2. Males did not adjust to labor market changes and college prep to access it and did not access skilled blue collar job opportunities.
3. US kids don’t fulfill STEAM education pathways needed desperately to feed current research, technology, math and science skilled jobs.

4. We need to stop screwing around/doing nothing with our immigration laws and attract the people here legally we need. Our country has been been built on attracting diverse populations and our home grown kids need a lesson in preparing for the future.
11-24-2022 09:29 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(11-24-2022 05:12 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(11-24-2022 04:05 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Yeah there were reports coming out last year about the decline of men going to or graduating from college. With Memphis specifically they need to address the high withdrawal rate. I don't think it's fair to the school's perception nor these students that aren't/never will be ready for a four-year school to keep things going as it has. Failure is a part of life, but this is one that could be mitigated better.

The decline among males attending college will lead to a shift in American households where women will eventually become the primary breadwinner & men’s roles will be further compromised. This should be an alarming statistic for believers in the traditional American family.

Ha. Not if all the men go to trade school, while women get a sociology degree...
11-24-2022 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
To quote Keven Bloody Wilson Ho Ho F'n Ho What A Crock Of $%#

Trying to use fewer births for the reduction in college enrollment is a stretch.

A college degree just doesn't carry the same weight as it did in the past.

Way too many social engineering degrees that do nothing to prepare for the job market.

Why put yourself in 10s of thousands and in some cases 100s of thousands in debt when you can do a trade apprenticeship and get paid while you're learning the trade?

Especially once you reach your master's license you're making as much if not more money than many college graduates.

Doesn't help when schools are graduating students who cannot add 1 plus 1.

Not every person should go to college.

In a lot of ways, we'd be better off if we had fewer attending college.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2022 10:21 PM by ncrdbl1.)
11-24-2022 10:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline

The problem with that is, it's always about society at large. But when you get to YOUR children... "well, MY kids are going to get a degree."
I'm as guilty as anyone else.
11-25-2022 12:37 AM
Marc Mensa Offline

College graduates make more money than high school graduates… women will eventually out earn men.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereknewton...ff2bda2048
11-25-2022 01:02 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
I see college age males every day driving 100 mph on our city streets in brand new Dodge Chargers and Ford Mustangs. Seems to me like they are bringing in enough money where they don’t need college
11-25-2022 09:41 AM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-25-2022 01:02 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  College graduates make more money than high school graduates… women will eventually out earn men.

Not if too many major in community studies or some other bs.
11-25-2022 02:14 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline

(11-25-2022 02:14 PM)2021 Tiger Football!! Wrote:  
(11-25-2022 01:02 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  College graduates make more money than high school graduates… women will eventually out earn men.

Not if too many major in community studies or some other bs.

Actually, just getting a degree is enough. The ticket to a corporate job is a degree.
11-25-2022 02:51 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I found an article that compares the degree choices of men and women. It also talks about the "pipeline leak" of women as they move up.

https://econofact.org/are-women-reaching...en-in-stem
11-25-2022 03:20 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2022 09:41 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  I see college age males every day driving 100 mph on our city streets in brand new Dodge Chargers and Ford Mustangs. Seems to me like they are bringing in enough money where they don’t need college

Muscle cars didn’t just appear on I-240 in the last couple of years. And the relationship with cars and college going rate is small if any at all.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2022 04:53 PM by Tigerx3.)
11-25-2022 04:47 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-24-2022 10:01 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Ha. Not if all the men go to trade school, while women get a sociology degree...

Neither are true now nor will it be in the future.
11-25-2022 05:09 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

January 2017 I was in DC and met with a couple of congressional subcommittees and attended a meeting at the White House. That was followed by a trip to the Swiss Embassy to meet with education, business and government reps involved the highly successful apprenticeship model employed in Switzerland. I met some people from Denver who had adapted the Swiss model into a collaborative called CareerWise.
I spent several unsuccessful years trying to build a similar model in our school system and state but never could get the buy-in.
It is a high school, post-secondary and business collaborative that provides multiple entry and exit education and career engagements. That includes two-way movement between skilled labor and white collar career paths.

Now that I’ve retired I’m going to retry through different channels.
11-25-2022 06:12 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline

(11-25-2022 05:09 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

Yes, they are true right now, and the gap is about to get wider.
11-25-2022 09:38 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(11-25-2022 09:38 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

If, as you state, it is true that all men are going to trade school now, then how do we have a football team?
11-25-2022 10:17 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2022 09:38 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

So all men will go to trade school and all women will get Sociology Degrees? You really don’t want to argue that.
11-25-2022 11:30 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

Oh enterprising young men will attend college in search of alpha females who will support them in a manner in which they could never do for themselves.
11-26-2022 01:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.