Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Making the case for UConn
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Making the case for UConn
Disclaimer: I’m not saying the ACC should expand or even have UConn as their first choice. This is more or less for fun and to stimulate conversation.

It’s hard to see past UConn’s bad football program now, but so was SU’s program when they got the ACC invite, so it is possible to right the ship. With an ACC invite they will have more money for their athletic department, more tv exposure, better recruiting access. I think their floor is at least comparable to where BC seems to be with a 6-7 win seasons being the norm.

Another thing that is a plus, is that their football team is an Independent. They are ready to join right away.

With divisions being abolished, 15 members can play 2 permant rivalry games and rotate the members home/away twice in 4 years. UConn, SU, and BC can be each other’s permanent rival. Great news for the other members who may view getting UConn, BC and to a lesser extent SU as drawing the old maid card.

Of course they are in the BE in their other sports. Their basketball teams are the real prize. Their WBB program is the gold standard, MBB is traditionally very good with multiple NCAAT championships. This will bring additional high profile games to the ACC.

This will also make for an even 16 team ACC basketball tournament with a possibility of playing in Madison Square Garden even more likely.

UConn also has or had a solid baseball program.

Academic snobs will like their US news top 25 public school ranking
https://today.uconn.edu/2019/09/uconn-ra...y-strong/#

And $460m endowment.
09-29-2022 03:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoWulfPak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NC State
RE: Making the case for UConn
no
09-29-2022 03:48 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Teams I'd rather see the ACC add before UConn:
Cincinnati
UCF
Houston
SMU
USF
Memphis
Temple
Tulane
Navy
09-29-2022 03:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The case for UCONN

[Image: 34843_h.jpg?itok=5XgtJz8B?itok=5XgtJz8B]
09-29-2022 03:54 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(09-29-2022 03:39 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Disclaimer: I’m not saying the ACC should expand or even have UConn as their first choice. This is more or less for fun and to stimulate conversation.

It’s hard to see past UConn’s bad football program now, but so was SU’s program when they got the ACC invite, so it is possible to right the ship. With an ACC invite they will have more money for their athletic department, more tv exposure, better recruiting access. I think their floor is at least comparable to where BC seems to be with a 6-7 win seasons being the norm.

Another thing that is a plus, is that their football team is an Independent. They are ready to join right away.

With divisions being abolished, 15 members can play 2 permant rivalry games and rotate the members home/away twice in 4 years. UConn, SU, and BC can be each other’s permanent rival. Great news for the other members who may view getting UConn, BC and to a lesser extent SU as drawing the old maid card.

Of course they are in the BE in their other sports. Their basketball teams are the real prize. Their WBB program is the gold standard, MBB is traditionally very good with multiple NCAAT championships. This will bring additional high profile games to the ACC.

This will also make for an even 16 team ACC basketball tournament with a possibility of playing in Madison Square Garden even more likely.

And $460m endowment.

Hard pass. Also SU was not nearly as bad as Uconn when SU was invited to the ACC.
The four seasons prior to getting invited to the ACC, Doug Marrone, the former SU coach, had already righted the ship for SU going 4-8, 8-5, 5-7 and 8-5. It was after he left to coach the Bills that SU went back down.

I agree that being in the ACC would help Uconn significantly in fb but the ACC needs some pedigree now. We already have bb covered.
09-29-2022 04:02 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(09-29-2022 03:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Teams I'd rather see the ACC add before UConn:
Cincinnati
UCF
Houston
SMU
USF
Memphis
Temple
Tulane
Navy

My list would be a little smaller:
WV
Cincy
USF
UCF
Temple
Navy

Army
09-29-2022 04:07 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(09-29-2022 03:39 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  Disclaimer: I’m not saying the ACC should expand or even have UConn as their first choice. This is more or less for fun and to stimulate conversation.

And $460m endowment.

For the ACC?
05-nono
09-29-2022 04:44 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

And $460m endowment.

Just another very good reason to say H_ll NO!

If you want to play the in MSG.....join the Big East.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022 04:50 PM by XLance.)
09-29-2022 04:49 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

UConn only makes sense if the ACC is decimated.
09-29-2022 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Too many justifications for adding UConn sound like reasons why UConn would benefit, not why the ACC would.
09-29-2022 06:26 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
If we're looking for the 16th member ... and safely assuming ND has abandoned the 15th spot ...

The two schools I would invite would be:

WVU and Cincy

Honorable Mention:

Central Florida Golden Knights
Baylor Bears
Kansas Jayhawks
Houston Cougars

And that's about it.
09-29-2022 06:26 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I would not outright dismiss UConn, they were nearly invited after UMd left, so they do bring some value to the table. If the big football schools in the ACC had their stuff together, adding another basketball school would not seem so bad.
09-29-2022 07:08 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
One monk has plenty of water to drink. Three monks have not enough water to drink.

Syracuse has great football program before 1889. But after Rutgers and UConn upgraded to FBS, all three schools performed terribly because NY area talents now divide to three. The best model is Ohio State, taking all talents in their state. That is why Michigan and Michigan St will never catch up with Ohio State. Same reason why UNC, Duke, Wake and NC State are terrible in football most of the time.
09-29-2022 09:23 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I can make a case for UConn to the ACC........

after the ACC has lost 7 or 8 members.
09-29-2022 11:13 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(09-29-2022 03:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Teams I'd rather see the ACC add before UConn:

Cincinnati
UCF
Houston
SMU
USF
Memphis
Temple
Tulane
Navy( football scheduling agreement only-maybe 5 games)

continue current Notre Dame agreement.
add West Virginia and Baylor to the 4 above and take all 6.

“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.”
09-30-2022 04:44 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
So a Florida State fan is campaigning for UConn and a Syracuse fan is saying the ACC needs "some pedigree" in football?

The only game changer the ACC can add in football is Cincinnati and are they just good vs. AAC competition? The last thing the ACC needs is another Duke's Mayo Bowl level team. If I want to watch football, I'll watch the SEC. What's the difference between watching Clemson vs. West Virginia and Alabama vs. Arkansas who play this weekend? I come to the ACC to watch men's basketball and if you add UConn to Duke, North Carolina, and, when they come back, Syracuse, Virginia, and Louisville, they will be better. They've won three national championships this millennium and one more in 1999, the only available football team that can claim a national championship since 2000 is UCF:) And we're not even talking about their women's team yet.
09-30-2022 04:59 AM
Advertisement

Gitanole Offline
Barista

(09-29-2022 06:26 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  If we're looking for the 16th member ... and safely assuming ND has abandoned the 15th spot ...

The two schools I would invite would be:

WVU and Cincy

Same. The next two adds, I'd say, are only made if the ACC loses ground in Florida. Those are:

UCF and USF
09-30-2022 05:11 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(09-29-2022 06:07 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn only makes sense if the ACC is decimated.

Yes. Presumably the conference would keep making the most it can of an Eastern time zone identity.

Pencil in Connecticut as a candidate somewhere near Temple and Buffalo. All good schools, just not very helpful to the league right now.
09-30-2022 05:22 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
(09-30-2022 05:22 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(09-29-2022 06:07 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  UConn only makes sense if the ACC is decimated.

Yes. Presumably the conference would keep making the most it can of an Eastern time zone identity.

Pencil in Connecticut as a candidate somewhere near Temple and Buffalo. All good schools, just not very helpful to the league right now.

UConn and their pinhead former AG, now senator Blumenthal can rot.
09-30-2022 06:15 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(09-30-2022 04:44 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Cincinnati
UCF
Houston
SMU
USF
Memphis
Temple
Tulane
Navy( football scheduling agreement only-maybe 5 games)

continue current Notre Dame agreement.
add West Virginia and Baylor to the 4 above and take all 6.

“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.”

I like it!
02-13-banana
09-30-2022 07:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.