Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would FSU accept a B1G Invite?
swardy76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ACC,BC,Clemson
Would FSU accept a B1G Invite?
There were lots of grumblings when FSU was paired with Syracuse in the new ACC schedule. How would fans feel about regular November games in the deep mid-west?

Nebraska struggled after losing its traditional rivals. FSU would be faced with nine conference games and some difficult choices on who to play in Florida. But I guess they could renew the Maryland rivalry.
08-17-2022 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Would FSU accept a B1G Invite?
I don’t see a realistic scenario where the Big Ten would invite FSU but not also invite Miami. If the Big Ten is fine with FSU’s academics (which would be the real hangup for the university presidents), then they’d definitely be fine with Miami (which is closer to AAU membership and in a location with a lot more Big Ten alums). So, it would be similar to the USC/UCLA pairing.

In any event, I think FSU would take an invite from either the Big Ten or SEC at this point no matter who comes along just like USC and UCLA did (who are traveling even farther to the Midwest along with crossing multiple time zones) because of the money. It’s water under the bridge until circa 2030 because of the ACC GOR agreement, though.
08-17-2022 07:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Let’s say Florida St and Miami are both invited to apply to the Big 10–does FSU go running to the SEC asking to go there instead?

Personally, I think grabbing them as a pair would be a critical step in establishing the Big 10’s national identity.
08-17-2022 08:14 AM
swardy76 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-17-2022 07:55 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I don’t see a realistic scenario where the Big Ten would invite FSU but not also invite Miami. If the Big Ten is fine with FSU’s academics (which would be the real hangup for the university presidents), then they’d definitely be fine with Miami (which is closer to AAU membership and in a location with a lot more Big Ten alums). So, it would be similar to the USC/UCLA pairing.

In any event, I think FSU would take an invite from either the Big Ten or SEC at this point no matter who comes along just like USC and UCLA did (who are traveling even farther to the Midwest along with crossing multiple time zones) because of the money. It’s water under the bridge until circa 2030 because of the ACC GOR agreement, though.

Makes sense. I have always assumed that the more realistic B1G scenario would be UNC, UVA, GT, and FSU. I didn't consider FSU and Miami and definitely didn't think Miami would be the preferred Florida school.
08-17-2022 08:21 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
The B1G is going to target 2/3 from UNC/GaTech/Duke. If they go with GaTech over of Duke, the odds tip towards FSU and Miami as the 3rd and 4th ACC additions . If they choose Duke, FSU/Miami become less likely and they probably play it safe with UVa/GaTech as additional schools.

If the B1G isn't adding 3-4 more PAC schools, I don't see them taking 3-4 ACC schools, certainly not without ND at least.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 08:25 AM by RUScarlets.)
08-17-2022 08:24 AM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: Retired
(08-17-2022 07:55 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I don’t see a realistic scenario where the Big Ten would invite FSU but not also invite Miami. If the Big Ten is fine with FSU’s academics (which would be the real hangup for the university presidents), then they’d definitely be fine with Miami (which is closer to AAU membership and in a location with a lot more Big Ten alums). So, it would be similar to the USC/UCLA pairing.

Posts like the one above just further illustrate why we should prefer the SEC. You're clearly out of touch where FSU sits relative to B1G publics in 2022. And you're unaware of the ongoing investments toward gaining AAU membership, notably in FSU med in Tallahassee and PC. Time will prove it out just like the trend has over the past 20-30 years. Top 20 public...75K+ applications for admissions to sort through at present. I wouldn't get accepted again if I applied in this era.

SEC it is...be it in a year or a decade. It is and will continue to be THE conference. I say this as a kid who grew up a big B1G fan.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 08:38 AM by GarnetAndBlue.)
08-17-2022 08:28 AM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 08:21 AM)swardy76 Wrote:  

Makes sense. I have always assumed that the more realistic B1G scenario would be UNC, UVA, GT, and FSU. I didn't consider FSU and Miami and definitely didn't think Miami would be the preferred Florida school.

The schools you list above are likely the preferred set (not incl ND obviously). Miami wouldn't be in the Top 4 for either conference. But certainly a 5-8.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 08:40 AM by GarnetAndBlue.)
08-17-2022 08:34 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2022 08:28 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

Posts like the one above just further illustrate why we should prefer the SEC. You're clearly out of touch where FSU sits relative to B1G publics in 2022. And you're unaware of the ongoing investments toward gaining AAU membership, notably in FSU med in Tallahassee and PC. Time will prove it out just like the trend has over the past 20-30 years. Top 20 public...75K+ applications for admissions to sort through at present. I wouldn't get accepted again if I applied in this era.

SEC it is...be it in a year or a decade.

It's not me personally - I'd be perfectly fine with FSU in the Big Ten from an academics standpoint because of what you've stated. The Big Ten presidents are on a different level, though. Unless a school is named Notre Dame, they're looking at research and graduate school metrics much more than undergrad rankings.

One thing to note is that there seems to be this strain of thinking that the Big Ten isn't focused on academics anymore and simply seeking the best athletic brands, but a lot of people are forgetting that adding USC/UCLA was still one of the best possible academic combos that the Big Ten could have added even if we all know full well that wasn't the driving force. The Big Ten clearly doesn't care about travel times for student-athletes anymore, but make no mistake that adding USC and UCLA definitely raised the Big Ten's overall academic prestige higher on top of the athletics side of the house.
08-17-2022 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 08:40 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

It's not me personally - I'd be perfectly fine with FSU in the Big Ten from an academics standpoint because of what you've stated. The Big Ten presidents are on a different level, though. Unless a school is named Notre Dame, they're looking at research and graduate school metrics much more than undergrad rankings.

One thing to note is that there seems to be this strain of thinking that the Big Ten isn't focused on academics anymore and simply seeking the best athletic brands, but a lot of people are forgetting that adding USC/UCLA was still one of the best possible academic combos that the Big Ten could have added even if we all know full well that wasn't the driving force. The Big Ten clearly doesn't care about travel times for student-athletes anymore, but make no mistake that adding USC and UCLA definitely raised the Big Ten's overall academic prestige higher on top of the athletics side of the house.

Again, when FSU likely finds its way to the AAU in 5-10 years, will we be able to say that the B1G presidents were actually too thick-headed to see it coming? I get the sense you're still seeing FSU as it stood in the 80's. The growth of FSU's med school in both Tally and PC - IIRC about a half billion of medical facilities/campus expansion just approved this past year alone - is just the beginning. The focus isn't just undergrad (no problem there)...it's research. FSU hired the VP of Research from Harvard as their new president for a reason. Anyway, time will tell and I'd lay a big bet on FSU being a Top 15 public within 10 years and AAU within the same stretch. Good luck B1G...
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 08:55 AM by GarnetAndBlue.)
08-17-2022 08:54 AM
swardy76 Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-17-2022 08:54 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  

Again, when FSU likely finds its way to the AAU in 5-10 years, will we be able to say that the B1G presidents were actually too thick-headed to see it coming? I get the sense you're still seeing FSU as it stood in the 80's. The growth of FSU's med school in both Tally and PC - IIRC about a half billion of medical facilities/campus expansion just approved this past year alone - is just the beginning. The focus isn't just undergrad (no problem there)...it's research. FSU hired the VP of Research from Harvard as their new president for a reason. Anyway, time will tell and I'd lay a big bet on FSU being a Top 15 public within 10 years and AAU within the same stretch. Good luck B1G...

So does that mean you would be against the acceptance of a B1G invite assuming the ACC is the only other option? Or is an SEC invite inevitable?
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 09:39 AM by swardy76.)
08-17-2022 09:37 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
They won’t be invited. Tally is too hard to get to from South Bend, could you imagine West Lafayette and Bloomington?
08-17-2022 09:42 AM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 09:37 AM)swardy76 Wrote:  

So does that mean you would be against the acceptance of a B1G invite assuming the ACC is the only other option? Or is an SEC invite inevitable?

I grew up in Michigan and the B1G was always my favorite conference (perhaps until recent years with its expansion decisions). At one point, I actually preferred that FSU found a home in the B1G along with a few other ACC schools like UNC, UVA and GT. But between the travel challenges, FSU being a true southern school, and the B1G perhaps (very unjustifiably, imo) turning a snobbish nose up at us...I'm much more pro-SEC now. And it's just more likely.

Yes, I am expecting that FSU will be in the SEC sooner than later. It's a natural fit and it will be terrific from a geographic standpoint. Doak will be rocking every Saturday.
08-17-2022 09:49 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

It's not me that you have to convince. The Big Ten presidents are the ones that matter. My feeling is that Kevin Warren himself (having spent most of his career in the NFL) would love to invite FSU if they were actually a viable free agent... but they're not really a free agent as long as the ACC GOR has a long length of time prior to its expiration date.
08-17-2022 09:55 AM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
I think FSU would prefer to share conferences with Florida.

If the B10 found a way to get Florida, then FSU would join the B10.

But all things being equal, I think Florida being in the SEC tips the scales more than anything else.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022 10:05 AM by Skyhawk.)
08-17-2022 10:04 AM
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 09:55 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

It's not me that you have to convince. The Big Ten presidents are the ones that matter. My feeling is that Kevin Warren himself (having spent most of his career in the NFL) would love to invite FSU if they were actually a viable free agent... but they're not really a free agent as long as the ACC GOR has a long length of time prior to its expiration date.

Oh I agree that FSU being in the B1G is extremely unlikely. But its academic profile doesn't/won't have anything to do with it in 2022 or 2036. The SEC has the upper-hand in every imaginable category aside from allowing FSU to differentiate itself (which would be of comparatively little value). I do think the B1G missed out on a huge opportunity to make a big southern move a decade ago.
08-17-2022 10:07 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-17-2022 08:24 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The B1G is going to target 2/3 from UNC/GaTech/Duke. If they go with GaTech over of Duke, the odds tip towards FSU and Miami as the 3rd and 4th ACC additions . If they choose Duke, FSU/Miami become less likely and they probably play it safe with UVa/GaTech as additional schools.

If the B1G isn't adding 3-4 more PAC schools, I don't see them taking 3-4 ACC schools, certainly not without ND at least.

I just think that UNC/UVA/Duke are a trio. Maybe there's a chance that have to be split but I think they are all included in a 48 team scenario.
08-17-2022 10:13 AM
Advertisement

GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 10:13 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(08-17-2022 08:24 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  The B1G is going to target 2/3 from UNC/GaTech/Duke. If they go with GaTech over of Duke, the odds tip towards FSU and Miami as the 3rd and 4th ACC additions . If they choose Duke, FSU/Miami become less likely and they probably play it safe with UVa/GaTech as additional schools.

I just think that UNC/UVA/Duke are a trio. Maybe there's a chance that have to be split but I think they are all included in a 48 team scenario.

My read is that UNC would prefer the SEC over the B1G and UVA/Duke's preference will have little impact.
08-17-2022 10:17 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(08-17-2022 07:47 AM)swardy76 Wrote:  There were lots of grumblings when FSU was paired with Syracuse in the new ACC schedule. How would fans feel about regular November games in the deep mid-west?

Nebraska struggled after losing its traditional rivals. FSU would be faced with nine conference games and some difficult choices on who to play in Florida. But I guess they could renew the Maryland rivalry.

FSU would definitely accept but SEC is the preferred choice of fans and the more likely destination.
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2022 10:07 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  
(08-17-2022 08:28 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  Posts like the one above just further illustrate why we should prefer the SEC. You're clearly out of touch where FSU sits relative to B1G publics in 2022. And you're unaware of the ongoing investments toward gaining AAU membership, notably in FSU med in Tallahassee and PC. Time will prove it out just like the trend has over the past 20-30 years. Top 20 public...75K+ applications for admissions to sort through at present. I wouldn't get accepted again if I applied in this era.

Oh I agree that FSU being in the B1G is extremely unlikely. But its academic profile doesn't/won't have anything to do with it in 2022 or 2036. The SEC has the upper-hand in every imaginable category aside from allowing FSU to differentiate itself (which would be of comparatively little value). I do think the B1G missed out on a huge opportunity to make a big southern move a decade ago.

Eh - I think people are forgetting just how difficult it was for the Big Ten simply to pry Maryland from the ACC, much less anyone else. Remember that in the early-2010s, the ACC's tier 1 TV deal was on par with both the Big Ten and SEC. This wasn't like poaching from the Big 12 - at the time, the ACC was viewed as a completely stable and lucrative conference. It definitely wasn't a situation where the Big Ten could simply pick off whoever it wanted from the ACC at all a decade ago (or else they *would* have gone after UVA, UNC, Duke and/or GT at a minimum, if not FSU and/or Miami).

What the USC/UCLA move for the Big Ten really does change is that geography clearly isn't a constraint any longer and I think that's a pretty big deal. Traveling to and from FSU and Miami is clearly easier for most of the Big Ten compared to traveling to and from USC/UCLA, so at least in theory, the league could invite them without "filling in" with other Southern schools like GT or UVA (just as schools like Stanford and Cal are sitting on the sidelines for a Big Ten invite now). That's not to say that's actually preferable for FSU and/or Miami compared to an SEC invite (as I totally understand that FSU may very well prefer the SEC if they have a choice), but at least from the Big Ten side, any geography constraints are clearly out the window.
GarnetAndBlue Offline
1st String

(08-17-2022 10:17 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(08-17-2022 10:07 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  
(08-17-2022 08:40 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  It's not me personally - I'd be perfectly fine with FSU in the Big Ten from an academics standpoint because of what you've stated. The Big Ten presidents are on a different level, though. Unless a school is named Notre Dame, they're looking at research and graduate school metrics much more than undergrad rankings.

Eh - I think people are forgetting just how difficult it was for the Big Ten simply to pry Maryland from the ACC, much less anyone else. Remember that in the early-2010s, the ACC's tier 1 TV deal was on par with both the Big Ten and SEC. This wasn't like poaching from the Big 12 - at the time, the ACC was viewed as a completely stable and lucrative conference. It definitely wasn't a situation where the Big Ten could simply pick off whoever it wanted from the ACC at all a decade ago (or else they *would* have gone after UVA, UNC, Duke and/or GT at a minimum, if not FSU and/or Miami).

What the USC/UCLA move for the Big Ten really does change is that geography clearly isn't a constraint any longer and I think that's a pretty big deal. Traveling to and from FSU and Miami is clearly easier for most of the Big Ten compared to traveling to and from USC/UCLA, so at least in theory, the league could invite them without "filling in" with other Southern schools like GT or UVA (just as schools like Stanford and Cal are sitting on the sidelines for a Big Ten invite now). That's not to say that's actually preferable for FSU and/or Miami compared to an SEC invite (as I totally understand that FSU may very well prefer the SEC if they have a choice), but at least from the Big Ten side, any geography constraints are clearly out the window.

That's a fair refresher on how things stood a decade ago. Perhaps the B1G thought it would have another shot sometime down the road...or simply didn't share the same southern interest that I do. From FSU's perspective, things seem to have changed too. I think a lot of us wanted the ACC to work out, perhaps naively. Now the support for a move to the SEC is probably stronger than ever.
08-17-2022 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.