Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Injury Bug Takes A Bite Of Rockets OL
Bookmark and Share
RocketsFootballFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo
Exclamation Injury Bug Takes A Bite Of Rockets OL
During the Rockets practice today OL Tyler Long went down with an apparent ankle injury and was carted off the field. He was taken to an area hospital where he reportedly underwent surgery. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be shared, but it is believed to be a high-ankle or lower leg injury, and initial reports are that he will be lost for the season.
Now, Candle & staff are left scrambling to find a replacement for Long as he was slated to be the this year's starting center.
08-09-2022 10:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Injury Bug Takes A Bite Of Rockets OL
(08-09-2022 10:51 PM)RocketsFootballFan Wrote:  During the Rockets practice today OL Tyler Long went down with an apparent ankle injury and was carted off the field. He was taken to an area hospital where he reportedly underwent surgery. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be shared, but it is believed to be a high-ankle or lower leg injury, and initial reports are that he will be lost for the season.
Now, Candle & staff are left scrambling to find a replacement for Long as he was slated to be the this year's starting center.

Does Sciury move over?
08-10-2022 01:10 PM
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

Uggh. Wasn't Ocasio a center at Edinboro?
08-10-2022 02:33 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-10-2022 02:33 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  Uggh. Wasn't Ocasio a center at Edinboro?

Started all 11 games at Center in 2021. No season in 2020 due to Covid.
08-10-2022 03:09 PM
RocketsFootballFan Offline
Water Engineer

Sounds like K. Major may be tapped to snap moving forward.
08-10-2022 08:03 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Brutal news. Just awful. We've seen this before right before the season kicks off...
08-12-2022 12:07 PM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Blade today: Unfortunately for the Rockets, two-thirds of their starting offensive line is out of commission, according to a source, as interior lineman Tyler Long is out for the season with a leg injury, and tackle Mitch Berg is out indefinitely with an injury.
08-19-2022 07:44 AM
SylRocketFan Offline
Bench Warmer

Well closer to one third (2/5) but still really unfortunate. Feels like the offense is cooked and the season hasn't even started yet. What are we doing year after year that we always have starting OL going down before the season even begins?
08-19-2022 09:18 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Bergen replacing Berg?
08-19-2022 10:02 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(08-19-2022 09:18 AM)SylRocketFan Wrote:  Well closer to one third (2/5) but still really unfortunate. Feels like the offense is cooked and the season hasn't even started yet. What are we doing year after year that we always have starting OL going down before the season even begins?

Great question. Is this a conditioning issue? Strength? Poor technique to compensate for either those that then leads to injury? Or just ongoing bad luck that defies normal odds?
08-19-2022 11:00 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-19-2022 11:00 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(08-19-2022 09:18 AM)SylRocketFan Wrote:  Well closer to one third (2/5) but still really unfortunate. Feels like the offense is cooked and the season hasn't even started yet. What are we doing year after year that we always have starting OL going down before the season even begins?

Great question. Is this a conditioning issue? Strength? Poor technique to compensate for either those that then leads to injury? Or just ongoing bad luck that defies normal odds?

Certainly conditioning can always be better especially with connective tissue. Muscles can be overdeveloped relative to joints, tendons, ligaments. Some guys just aren't made to be able the bodyweight their positions mandate. Bigger-more explosive= greater forces exerted on the body.
08-19-2022 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Springboromark Offline
All American

Perhaps freshman maybe starting on the offensive line.
08-19-2022 06:26 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I feel like their strength and conditioning program is pretty solid. On the flip side, their nutrition program is non-existent. They have access to protein supplements in the weight room, but outside of that, the players are on their own. Understandable, considering that Mid Majors don't have the budget to take care of their athletes like the P5 programs do. Take a look at the transformation & development of kids at P5 schools vs Mid Majors. Its' night and day. S&C go hand in hand with proper nutrition...can't out train a horrible diet. Could be that these guys aren't recovering properly, which is leading to more injuries?
08-22-2022 08:57 AM
SylRocketFan Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-22-2022 08:57 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  I feel like their strength and conditioning program is pretty solid. On the flip side, their nutrition program is non-existent. They have access to protein supplements in the weight room, but outside of that, the players are on their own. Understandable, considering that Mid Majors don't have the budget to take care of their athletes like the P5 programs do. Take a look at the transformation & development of kids at P5 schools vs Mid Majors. Its' night and day. S&C go hand in hand with proper nutrition...can't out train a horrible diet. Could be that these guys aren't recovering properly, which is leading to more injuries?

This is exactly what I have read as it pertains to nutrition programs in G5 vs. P5. I have trained at various levels of intensity throughout my life and I don't think it can be overstated how important proper diet is. Seems like a place where some well-directed donor funds could make a big difference. Now for that lotto ticket to come in...03-cloud9
08-22-2022 09:33 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-22-2022 09:33 AM)SylRocketFan Wrote:  
(08-22-2022 08:57 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  I feel like their strength and conditioning program is pretty solid. On the flip side, their nutrition program is non-existent. They have access to protein supplements in the weight room, but outside of that, the players are on their own. Understandable, considering that Mid Majors don't have the budget to take care of their athletes like the P5 programs do. Take a look at the transformation & development of kids at P5 schools vs Mid Majors. Its' night and day. S&C go hand in hand with proper nutrition...can't out train a horrible diet. Could be that these guys aren't recovering properly, which is leading to more injuries?

This is exactly what I have read as it pertains to nutrition programs in G5 vs. P5. I have trained at various levels of intensity throughout my life and I don't think it can be overstated how important proper diet is. Seems like a place where some well-directed donor funds could make a big difference. Now for that lotto ticket to come in...03-cloud9

A friend of mine is considered by many to be the greatest trai ner of all time. He always told me he never saw anybody reach their peak using protein powders and bars. Need quality food/meals-snacks to support training and competition. Back in the day at Vandy, training table was open breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2022 09:44 AM by Boca Rocket.)
08-22-2022 09:41 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(08-22-2022 08:57 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  On the flip side, their nutrition program is non-existent.

^ This! Nutrition plays a huge role in preventing and recovering from injuries and this has been a problem at UT, and many schools for years.
08-22-2022 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-22-2022 11:51 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  
(08-22-2022 08:57 AM)TampaRocket Wrote:  On the flip side, their nutrition program is non-existent.

^ This! Nutrition plays a huge role in preventing and recovering from injuries and this has been a problem at UT, and many schools for years.

Agreed, I know TK has trended towards better nutrition for men's hoops, but in the past it was pretty bad. I remember a post tournament game where I had access to the locker room and the guys were eating pizza and soda as their last meal of the day with a late afternoon game coming up the next day.

With football lots of NFL guys are on specialized diets. The Ravens and Titans squads are typically about 20% vegan with private chefs. Plus, there's the element of food intolerance as most people don't properly digest some common foods, however, they often don't realize it unless they work with a good nutritionist.
08-22-2022 02:05 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Lots of these players take nutrition classes if they are in the sports medicine program. Not sure how many of our guys have that major anymore but it used to be right behind crim justice and communications in prevelancy. It may not be mandated, but its tough to believe its all BIg MACs and pizza outside of the Larimer. Calories in general are important when putting on weight. Very gaudy amounts of them. I wouldnt blame an injury or two on one thing like eating healthy. Even if it contributes.

Berg has been hurt damn near every year since high school and IN high school. Just isnt built for the wear and tear of the position IMO. Rehab is key. Football players tend to rush it.
08-22-2022 02:08 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

(08-22-2022 02:08 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Lots of these players take nutrition classes if they are in the sports medicine program. Not sure how many of our guys have that major anymore but it used to be right behind crim justice and communications in prevelancy. It may not be mandated, but its tough to believe its all BIg MACs and pizza outside of the Larimer. Calories in general are important when putting on weight. Very gaudy amounts of them. I wouldnt blame an injury or two on one thing like eating healthy. Even if it contributes.

Berg has been hurt damn near every year since high school and IN high school. Just isnt built for the wear and tear of the position IMO. Rehab is key. Football players tend to rush it.

We had it much better in the early 90's and it wasn't great then. Have you ever seen the food they send them home with after games...a large Marcos pizza. Can't complain about free food, but I promise you, they are not getting anything nutritious. Just an observation...no dog in the fight any more.
08-22-2022 02:21 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(08-22-2022 02:21 PM)TampaRocket Wrote:  
(08-22-2022 02:08 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Lots of these players take nutrition classes if they are in the sports medicine program. Not sure how many of our guys have that major anymore but it used to be right behind crim justice and communications in prevelancy. It may not be mandated, but its tough to believe its all BIg MACs and pizza outside of the Larimer. Calories in general are important when putting on weight. Very gaudy amounts of them. I wouldnt blame an injury or two on one thing like eating healthy. Even if it contributes.

We had it much better in the early 90's and it wasn't great then. Have you ever seen the food they send them home with after games...a large Marcos pizza. Can't complain about free food, but I promise you, they are not getting anything nutritious. Just an observation...no dog in the fight any more.

Should provide post practice/game meals.
08-22-2022 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.