Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA Expansion
Retrosports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Indiana
C-USA Expansion
Would North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Missouri State all consider C-USA together? I don’t believe there are any other takers for the Dakotas. The Mountain West is not going to bring them up.

Let’s hypothetically say this can and does happen. What happens to MVFC? These are 3 of their biggest programs and it takes a significant hit. Would other FCS teams feel the MVFC is a strong conference without these schools?

How does the Summit League and MVC also react?

I believe MVC would then take Bellarmine to replace Missouri State, and Augustana gets the call plus one of the Minnesota D2 schools.
04-02-2022 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: C-USA Expansion
(04-02-2022 09:42 AM)Retrosports Wrote:  Would North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Missouri State all consider C-USA together? I don’t believe there are any other takers for the Dakotas. The Mountain West is not going to bring them up.

Let’s hypothetically say this can and does happen. What happens to MVFC? These are 3 of their biggest programs and it takes a significant hit. Would other FCS teams feel the MVFC is a strong conference without these schools?

I believe MVC would then take Bellarmine to replace Missouri State, and Augustana gets the call plus one of the Minnesota D2 schools.

CUSA should remain at 9 for now and contract UMASS and UCONN for 4 games each if the conference needs expanded inventory for their current and future TV contracts. 04-cheers
04-02-2022 10:07 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(04-02-2022 10:07 AM)panite Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 09:42 AM)Retrosports Wrote:  Would North Dakota State, South Dakota State, and Missouri State all consider C-USA together? I don’t believe there are any other takers for the Dakotas. The Mountain West is not going to bring them up.

CUSA should remain at 9 for now and contract UMASS and UCONN for 4 games each if the conference needs expanded inventory for their current and future TV contracts. 04-cheers

4 OOC games with UMass and UConn aren't going to help TV in football even, let alone in basketball.
04-02-2022 10:31 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
This would have worked better had C-USA not added Jacksonville State, Sam Houston, or Liberty. C-USA could have then essentially taken the MVC as a whole:

North - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois State, SIU, Missouri State
South - NMSU*, UTEP*, LTU, MTSU, WKU, FIU*

NMSU stays in the WAC as a football-only member of C-USA, and is joined by UTEP in the same capacity. FIU pulls a similar move with the Atlantic Sun. The league would still have nine full members once the two-year transition process is complete.

The three football only schools could be shadowed by 3 non-FBS members of the MVC. Choose between Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Indiana State, and Valparaiso. Presumably Loyola Chicago still goes to the A-10. Belmont, Murray State, and UIC stay in the OVC or Horizon. Nothing would also prevent C-USA from going to 14 by taking the entire MVC.
04-02-2022 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-02-2022 10:39 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  This would have worked better had C-USA not added Jacksonville State, Sam Houston, or Liberty. C-USA could have then essentially taken the MVC as a whole:

NMSU stays in the WAC as a football-only member of C-USA, and is joined by UTEP in the same capacity. FIU pulls a similar move with the Atlantic Sun. The league would still have nine full members once the two-year transition process is complete.

The three football only schools could be shadowed by 3 non-FBS members of the MVC. Choose between Bradley, Drake, Evansville, Indiana State, and Valparaiso. Presumably Loyola Chicago still goes to the A-10. Belmont, Murray State, and UIC stay in the OVC or Horizon. Nothing would also prevent C-USA from going to 14 by taking the entire MVC.

...that could still happen eventually... I think there may be a few more 'departures' by the 'old guard' of C-USA in the next few years - especially considering they now know EXACTLY what the terms are to leave (which appear to be not as bad as once believed...). I ALSO figure C-USA is busy as we speak 'shoring up' those 'BYE-laws' of theirs... 03-idea03-phew03-drunk
04-02-2022 11:21 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2022 10:31 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

4 OOC games with UMass and UConn aren't going to help TV in football even, let alone in basketball.

But it will help UConn and UMass as independents for scheduling purposes now that BYU, NMST, and Liberty are gone. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 03-shhhh COGS COGS
04-02-2022 11:39 AM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

(04-02-2022 11:21 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 10:39 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  This would have worked better had C-USA not added Jacksonville State, Sam Houston, or Liberty. C-USA could have then essentially taken the MVC as a whole:

...that could still happen eventually... I think there may be a few more 'departures' by the 'old guard' of C-USA in the next few years - especially considering they now know EXACTLY what the terms are to leave (which appear to be not as bad as once believed...). I ALSO figure C-USA is busy as we speak 'shoring up' those 'BYE-laws' of theirs... 03-idea03-phew03-drunk
Except now UIC, Murray State, and Belmont have to be accounted for, which likely kills this off.
04-02-2022 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Retrosports Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Southern Indiana
Big Grin RE: C-USA Expansion
It would help UCONN and UMASS; however, it does not help CUSA. If C-USA were to add these 3, they have 2 more call-ups in UND and USD for future. For the Dakota schools, what FBS conference besides CUSA is going to call them up if that is truly where they want to be? This is their best chance and maybe only chance.

The Summit could try to break away from MVFC with expansion. I doubt it would really happen without D2 call-ups. Would Western Illinois want to be part of the Summit if this were to happen? More trips to Dakotas with an Augustana and maybe Northern Colorado? Plus, most of the MVC schools in MVFC are closer in proximity, but would not be invited to MVC for that. They would be left with sucking it up in Summit or joining OVC for travel costs.

(04-02-2022 11:39 AM)panite Wrote:  

But it will help UConn and UMass as independents for scheduling purposes now that BYU, NMST, and Liberty are gone. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 03-shhhh COGS COGS
04-02-2022 12:49 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-02-2022 12:49 PM)Retrosports Wrote:  It would help UCONN and UMASS; however, it does not help CUSA. If C-USA were to add these 3, they have 2 more call-ups in UND and USD for future. For the Dakota schools, what FBS conference besides CUSA is going to call them up if that is truly where they want to be? This is their best chance and maybe only chance.

The Summit could try to break away from MVFC with expansion. I doubt it would really happen without D2 call-ups. Would Western Illinois want to be part of the Summit if this were to happen? More trips to Dakotas with an Augustana and maybe Northern Colorado? Plus, most of the MVC schools in MVFC are closer in proximity, but would not be invited to MVC for that. They would be left with sucking it up in Summit or joining OVC for travel costs.

Why would CUSA give a damn about UConn and UMass’ “scheduling problems”?
04-02-2022 03:10 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
The only ones I’d want to see added would be

NDSU
SDSU
Missouri St
04-02-2022 03:21 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Online
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(04-02-2022 03:21 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  The only ones I’d want to see added would be

NDSU
SDSU
Missouri St

This would be worth consideration (FB only).
04-02-2022 03:51 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-02-2022 12:45 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 11:21 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  

Except now UIC, Murray State, and Belmont have to be accounted for, which likely kills this off.

...yeah, not sure how a 'double-jump' into two successive conferences works - at least in the eyes of the NCAA - I DO think TCU did something like that in their 'conference-hopping' history... with more realignment inevitable, wouldn't be surprised to see C-USA raid the MVC of a few, at least...

If I had the plastic key to the C-USA office beep beep jeep, I would make a BIG play for the 4 Dakota teams (of course bringing them up to FBS) as well as Mo.St., and perhaps a No. Iowa, just to have some semblance of a 'northern branch' of the conference... somehow, I DO believe that UTEP and NMSU will ultimately end up in the MWC, but NMSU needs a few 'build-up' years football-wise, anyway... Kill might just get them there...
04-02-2022 09:44 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
I'm personally not a fan of the Dakota schools going to the C-USA. They don't make sense for a all sports add unless you plan on losing more southern schools and want to create a North vs South realignment. If you're going to that big of a realignment then have the focus being the Dakota schools in the North and Texas/Louisiana in the South

North
South Dakota
South Dakota State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Missouri State
(6 Northern school)

South
Louisiana Tech
UTEP
Sam Houston State
New Mexico State
Middle Tennessee State
Jacksonville State

Maybe Western Kentucky goes to the MAC with Eastern Kentucky and FIU goes to the AAC as they lose USF.
04-02-2022 10:19 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2022 03:10 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 12:49 PM)Retrosports Wrote:  It would help UCONN and UMASS; however, it does not help CUSA. If C-USA were to add these 3, they have 2 more call-ups in UND and USD for future. For the Dakota schools, what FBS conference besides CUSA is going to call them up if that is truly where they want to be? This is their best chance and maybe only chance.

(04-02-2022 10:07 AM)panite Wrote:  CUSA should remain at 9 for now and contract UMASS and UCONN for 4 games each if the conference needs expanded inventory for their current and future TV contracts. 04-cheers

CUSA will give a damn about every available body after WKU and MT leave for the MAC in a year or two. When that happens CUSA will be down to seven schools and headed toward extinction like the dinosaurs especially with all of those FCS call ups. 07-coffee3
04-03-2022 06:46 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

(04-02-2022 09:44 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...yeah, not sure how a 'double-jump' into two successive conferences works - at least in the eyes of the NCAA - I DO think TCU did something like that in their 'conference-hopping' history... with more realignment inevitable, wouldn't be surprised to see C-USA raid the MVC of a few, at least...
If C-USA had been able to pull it off, I would expect it would be that Murray State and Belmont rescind their withdrawals from the OVC, and UIC does the same with the Horizon. The OVC and Horizon likely would have no objections.

TCU was never a member of the original Big East, but because they agreed to join, they still owed the Big East $5 Million for not going through with it. The NCAA considers TCU as having joined the Big 12 directly from the Mountain West.

I don't see C-USA pursuing this now, simply because Liberty, Jacksonville State, Sam Houston State, and NMSU are full members of the conference. They might still pick up Missouri State, but that will likely be it. In theory, five C-USA members could leave and make another conference a FBS conference if Army, UConn, and UMass all join as full members, and then the remnant of C-USA raids the MVC. The odds of that happening are zero, and that might be generous.
04-03-2022 08:09 AM
CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho

Its 8 games or the same as having 10 members .
04-03-2022 09:00 AM
Advertisement

CoastalVANDAL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Idaho
(04-02-2022 10:19 PM)46566 Wrote:  I'm personally not a fan of the Dakota schools going to the C-USA. They don't make sense for a all sports add unless you plan on losing more southern schools and want to create a North vs South realignment. If you're going to that big of a realignment then have the focus being the Dakota schools in the North and Texas/Louisiana in the South

North
South Dakota
South Dakota State
North Dakota
North Dakota State
Missouri State
(6 Northern school)

South
Louisiana Tech
UTEP
Sam Houston State
New Mexico State
Middle Tennessee State
Jacksonville State

Maybe Western Kentucky goes to the MAC with Eastern Kentucky and FIU goes to the AAC as they lose USF.

Replace South Dakota with Northern Iowa and you have a decent conference. Nothing wrong with South Dakota but they just did a expensive nice dome renovation reducing capacity.
04-03-2022 09:03 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

But they seem hell-bent on adding every FCS school.
04-03-2022 09:41 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(04-03-2022 06:46 AM)panite Wrote:  
(04-02-2022 03:10 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  

(04-02-2022 10:31 AM)stever20 Wrote:  4 OOC games with UMass and UConn aren't going to help TV in football even, let alone in basketball.

CUSA will give a damn about every available body after WKU and MT leave for the MAC in a year or two. When that happens CUSA will be down to seven schools and headed toward extinction like the dinosaurs especially with all of those FCS call ups. 07-coffee3

UMAss and UConn don't do anything to help. You need 8 FBS all-sports members. Football-onlies don't count towards your 8 all-sports members.

If AAC wasn't good enough for UConn, and MAC wasn't good enough for UMass, I doubt CUSA's next evolution will be able to land either one as all-sports members.
04-03-2022 09:43 AM
inutech Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Somehow this thread is even sillier than the other one(s).

I have to say, I didn't think that was possible. I'm kinda impressed.
04-03-2022 09:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.