Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Your story: why do you hate Tennessee?
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Your story: why do you hate Tennessee?
I’ll never forget the first time we beat them in basketball… In the late 80s. We were on thanksgiving vacation at my grandparents in south Mississippi and having to listen to it on the radio. My dad hated UT. He bred it into me. He told me how it was our first W against them because they always dodged us.

We only had maybe 3 kids in my school and one teacher in Middleton that were Tiger fans and the rest were UT fans. I remember, being friends with Stevie Hamer, our big seven footer, and him telling me for years that it was between Memphis and Louisville. And then the peer pressure kicked in and parents and teachers and they all pressured him to go to play for Tennessee. I remember specifically how hard the school administration at Middleton made it on Larry Finch to communicate with or contact Stevie.

Tennessee fans constantly gave me hell growing up. There is no other sports team in the world that I enjoy hating more than the volunteers in anything they do.
12-17-2021 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Your story: why do you hate Tennessee?
I started hating Tennessee when they fired bill battle (football)
12-17-2021 11:30 AM
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGDonators
I've never had a bad experience when I've been to a game in Knoxville. Everyone I've encountered there has been great to me as a fan of the opposing team. It's the West TN UTK fans that piss me off. They're entitled, overconfident, and have that "little brother" attitude towards us. They have probably never stepped foot on the Knoxville campus.

Also, the color is that throw-up orange. It's always a good time to bring up this classic video.

12-17-2021 11:39 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
Do I really need a reason to hate them? I just f*cking hate them...
12-17-2021 11:39 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(12-17-2021 11:39 AM)yakko Wrote:  

I just going to 2nd that entire video... It's that inside the pumpkin orange and I hate pumpkins... 03-lmfao
12-17-2021 11:42 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
I hate some of their “I’m better than you fans”, particularly the ones that live here in Memphis.
12-17-2021 11:43 AM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(12-17-2021 11:39 AM)yakko Wrote:  I've never had a bad experience when I've been to a game in Knoxville. Everyone I've encountered there has been great to me as a fan of the opposing team. It's the West TN UTK fans that piss me off. They're entitled, overconfident, and have that "little brother" attitude towards us. They have probably never stepped foot on the Knoxville campus.

This precisely...and I'm related to a few of them. The 'little brother' and 'tiger high' thing also often devolves into jabs about Memphis (the city) with the usual stupid cheap shots. UofM gaining R1 status will eventually silence some of that nonsense, but it'll take a while.
12-17-2021 11:57 AM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
Because they squirt perfectly good alcohol up their butts.
12-17-2021 12:15 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(12-17-2021 11:39 AM)yakko Wrote:  I've never had a bad experience when I've been to a game in Knoxville. Everyone I've encountered there has been great to me as a fan of the opposing team. It's the West TN UTK fans that piss me off. They're entitled, overconfident, and have that "little brother" attitude towards us. They have probably never stepped foot on the Knoxville campus.

That is EXACTLY my reasoning too.
12-17-2021 12:34 PM
ImaTiger Online
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
I have always resented the $$$ they get vs Memphis.
My loser bro in law went to Memphis and is a orange wearing Benedict Arnold.

But the act that sealed the deal. Was the needless death of great Memphis fan by rude fans and an insensitive and irresponsible administration. Afterwards not so much as a peep of a public apology or acknowledgment that it happened.

https://thespun.com/aac/memphis/memphis-...iac-arrest

I understand we don't mean anything to the fools in Knoxpath but this act redefines crassness, insensitivity and rudeness.
12-17-2021 12:47 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I grew up a Tennessee fan. My dad taught at UT Med School. I loved both Tennessee football and basketball and Memphis basketball. I went to Memphis State and still liked UT football but Memphis basketball. Eventually I just got so tired of hearing my city called Memprica and so much crap talk about how bad my city was and Tiger High. It just became impossible to like both.
12-17-2021 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
I hate losing local recruits to UT. They are more than likely going to ride the bench or transfer. Those same recruits could stay home and have a much better opportunity to play and become a hometown hero. Other than that I have no feelings one way or the other...they are just one of several other schools in our state.
12-17-2021 12:56 PM
BengalBurger Offline
with cheese!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
I grew up in Memphis, and both my parents were Tiger fans, but my family on my mom's side were vawl fans. Every. Single. Year. When I was growing up in the 80s/90s, my ENTIRE family on that side would relentlessly argue, demean, insult, and degrade Memphis as a school, an athletic program, our conference, our tradition. Lest ye forget, they won the dag-blasted national championship in this time. I was never more glad to be an hour and a half away (from my own family - LOVE these people). It was actually really frustrating for me around the holidays (bowl season) because every conversation started with utk, and ended with utk, and me usually completely exasperated - because you're not supposed to kill your own family. It was relentlessly infuriatingly negative, and soul-sucking, to see my own family at the holidays! There was some yelling, plenty of cursing, there were some apologies, but there was never - NEVER - room in my life for the university of tennessee @ knoxville. I will never give it another nanosecond of my effort, because it physically, viscerally, gutturally affects me. Like in a lizard-brain amygdala kind of way. It's worse than my utter disgust for louisville. Now, I have to go take a Silkwood style needle shower to get the putrid filth off of me, having thought about it for so long.
12-17-2021 12:59 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I can't say I hate UTK, can't say I like them either. But that little school down in Mississippi, now that's another story.
12-17-2021 01:00 PM
sherekhan Offline
Special Teams

The Tennessee coaches show being aired in the Memphis market made me sick. Especially the two coaches below.
[Image: gQygxeU.png]
12-17-2021 01:11 PM
Oman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis !!
of course the term "hate" is a bit much .. but i like to use it.

i hate UT because of their entitled attitude. UT gets the all the attention of the state government, and eve has their own governing body.. too good to be like the lower class universities in the state.

screw 'em. i love to see the "mighty" brought low... which is also why i hate the Rebels.
12-17-2021 01:26 PM
Advertisement

oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(12-17-2021 01:00 PM)cmt Wrote:  I can't say I hate UTK, can't say I like them either. But that little school down in Mississippi, now that's another story.

Totally with you on this one!
12-17-2021 01:42 PM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(12-17-2021 01:42 PM)oruvoice Wrote:  
(12-17-2021 01:00 PM)cmt Wrote:  I can't say I hate UTK, can't say I like them either. But that little school down in Mississippi, now that's another story.

Totally with you on this one!

I hate Ole Miss worse than UT
12-17-2021 01:43 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(12-17-2021 12:47 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  I have always resented the $$$ they get vs Memphis.
My loser bro in law went to Memphis and is a orange wearing Benedict Arnold.

But the act that sealed the deal. Was the needless death of great Memphis fan by rude fans and an insensitive and irresponsible administration. Afterwards not so much as a peep of a public apology or acknowledgment that it happened.

https://thespun.com/aac/memphis/memphis-...iac-arrest

I understand we don't mean anything to the fools in Knoxpath but this act redefines crassness, insensitivity and rudeness.

It's in my DNA. I'm from Memphis and my dad took me to Tiger games at the Liberty Bowl for years and years. Those are some great childhood memories.

But, yeah, the money thing.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it...

State of TN gives Memphis State $7M to help with whatever solution we come up with regarding needed additional basketball capacity.

State of TN gives UT $22M to build a new arena. And then has to kick in addition $20M because the construction was screwed up.

$7M vs $42M

"You're on your own" vs "We'll build you a huge new arena -- twice!"

And that money the state gave them... it was mine. And yours.
12-17-2021 01:45 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
quit hating them in 96.

they are now irrelevant
12-17-2021 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.