Football Coach
Bookmark and Share
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Sad Football Coach
Who does Memphis need to go after?
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 02:02 PM by bluebacker.)
10-23-2021 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Football Coach
Freeze
10-23-2021 01:44 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

We have a coach but I will play along… Saban, smartt, stoops ( either one) jo pa, hesiman, bear, jimmy johnson, Switzer, ……..
Doesn’t matter bc we will not get anyone other than OC. Last 5 hires were assistant coaches…. Rip was the last one that had a great year at James Madison and you saw how 22-44 worked out for us.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 02:17 PM by tpaw09.)
10-23-2021 02:11 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-23-2021 02:11 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  We have a coach

Sure, every team does.

When they close out the season 0-4 or 1-3 then what?

Time for a new one. Who do you suggest?
10-23-2021 02:15 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
We have a coach for at least another season.

I’m hoping he takes a long hard look at his coordinators in the off seasons and hopefully makes some adjustments.

If we don’t get it done, we go the search committee route. We need offensive coordinators again. We will have a good QB if Henigan stays healthy - he will only get better and probably bigger.
10-23-2021 02:16 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

(10-23-2021 02:16 PM)TGTiger Wrote:  We have a coach for at least another season.

I’m hoping he takes a long hard look at his coordinators in the off seasons and hopefully makes some adjustments.

If we don’t get it done, we go the search committee route. We need offensive coordinators again. We will have a good QB if Henigan stays healthy - he will only get better and probably bigger.

I agree. Who was the last coach Memphis had that was fired with a winning record…. I will wait for a response
10-23-2021 02:19 PM
Advertisement

Browning Hall Offline
All American

I Root For: Mayhem
(10-23-2021 02:19 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 02:16 PM)TGTiger Wrote:  We have a coach for at least another season.

I agree. Who was the last coach Memphis had that was fired with a winning record…. I will wait for a response

We haven’t had many coaches with winning records.
10-23-2021 02:42 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

Geoff caulkins wrote a great article about don’t be stupid wanting to fire a coach playing a 4th string qb . Our fans need to read it and let it soak in
10-23-2021 02:48 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(10-23-2021 02:48 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  Geoff caulkins wrote a great article about don’t be stupid wanting to fire a coach playing a 4th string qb . Our fans need to read it and let it soak in

Yeah, nah. I dont Caulkings to give me my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2021 02:51 PM by shere khan.)
10-23-2021 02:51 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

(10-23-2021 02:51 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 02:48 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  Geoff caulkins wrote a great article about don’t be stupid wanting to fire a coach playing a 4th string qb . Our fans need to read it and let it soak in

Yeah, nah. I dont Caulkings to give me my opinion.

Lol
10-23-2021 02:52 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

Well by all means let's wait until we lose a bunch of games before we figure it out
10-23-2021 02:53 PM
Advertisement

memtiger1987 Offline
All American

He also wrote a blistering article against hiring Scott Drew. You know, the one that just won the NCAA championship.

They’re not going to fire Silverfield. We weren’t going to win that game without Henigan. And mistakes cost us badly in our other 3 losses.

But he has had his share of bonehead coaching decisions.
10-23-2021 02:54 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

(10-23-2021 02:54 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

He also wrote a blistering article against hiring Scott Drew. You know, the one that just won the NCAA championship.

They’re not going to fire Silverfield. We weren’t going to win that game without Henigan. And mistakes cost us badly in our other 3 losses.

Agreed…. Norvell made bonehead calls, fuente did, porter never had a chance…. I can keep going.. I don’t know if I am sold on RS but he is our coach and has a winning record. We have been spoiled the past 7 years with success and now everyone thinks we are bama and have loads of money to fire a coach and get a big name coach.
10-23-2021 02:59 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(10-23-2021 02:53 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Well by all means let's wait until we lose a bunch of games before we figure it out

that's funny
10-23-2021 03:01 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

(10-23-2021 02:53 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

We will run out of money with your philosophy. Every game we lose with a 4th string Qb or just lose-We fire the coach . Winning makes the fans happy but wait till penny loses a few games and hear chirping from the so call experts
10-23-2021 03:05 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(10-23-2021 02:59 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  

Agreed…. Norvell made bonehead calls, fuente did, porter never had a chance…. I can keep going.. I don’t know if I am sold on RS but he is our coach and has a winning record. We have been spoiled the past 7 years with success and now everyone thinks we are bama and have loads of money to fire a coach and get a big name coach.

I don’t think we’re bama, but we’re not Temple or Tulsa either.

Silverfield will get another year. I have my doubts about him, but hopefully he turns the ship around.

What worries people is how quickly programs turn bad and stay that way for years. Right when we need to show that we’re viable for the Big 12.
10-23-2021 03:07 PM
Advertisement

tpaw09 Online
1st String

(10-23-2021 03:07 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Silverfield will get another year. I have my doubts about him, but hopefully he turns the ship around.

What worries people is how quickly programs turn bad and stay that way for years. Right when we need to show that we’re viable for the Big 12.

Valid points….I have doubts too but giving him a chance with a new Qb and young guys playing. I don’t know playing well gets us in the big 12 bc they allowed Houston in and haven’t been relevant for a few years
10-23-2021 03:10 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(10-23-2021 03:10 PM)tpaw09 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 03:07 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

Valid points….I have doubts too but giving him a chance with a new Qb and young guys playing. I don’t know playing well gets us in the big 12 bc they allowed Houston in and haven’t been relevant for a few years

Houston seems to be on the rise. But they haven’t been world beaters lately. Basketball has been good. They’ve invested a lot in facilities. Their academics are better.

I think we need to bring in athletic excellence. As we all know here, we’re one hire from being irrelevant. I’m not saying that’s Silverfield, but it’s very possible it could be. Regardless, I can’t imagine him not being our coach next year.
10-23-2021 03:22 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

Donators

The roster seems ok - pretty good. Injuries happen. A G5 will not have the roster depth quality of a P5. That's understood. But, look at HOW he is losing games.

Opie got really good players too but what did he do with them? Far less than he should have and football is not as forgiving a sport as basketball when it comes to numbers.

I'm sure he was a really great assistant for Norvell. Got along with the players. Did his job but hell he had never even been a coordinator much less a head coach and it's really showing now.
10-23-2021 03:27 PM
tpaw09 Online
1st String

RS had the highest recruiting class the rankings started for the tigers. Now if next year those great recruits aren’t producing and we are 500 or below then I might be the biggest cheerleader wanting him gone. During the off season everyone praised RS for getting guys…. What did penny do witjh the no.1 classs.
Playing devils advocate……
Opie last Memphis coach that took a team to the dance so his recruits helped.
10-23-2021 03:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.