Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More MBB sked info
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
More MBB sked info
From MBB Twitter and MTE website: NIU has a road game at Missouri Nov. 17 as part of the Jacksonville Classic MTE, which will finish up at UNF Arena at North Florida, where NIU will play Boston Univ., then either Sam Houston State or Ark.-Little Rock. Other participants are Fla State, SMU, Loyola Marymount and Missouri. Read the release to sort all this out.

Press release link:
https://5c04dfcf-85aa-49e6-b3e8-5dd3d134...33e3ef.pdf

Also recall have game @ Indiana 11/13 and @ Marquette on 11/27, according to the Bash offerings.

Haven't seen any home game mentions.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 10:06 PM by pvk75.)
07-25-2021 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: More MBB sked info
(07-25-2021 10:03 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  From MBB Twitter and MTE website: NIU has a road game at Missouri Nov. 17 as part of the Jacksonville Classic MTE, which will finish up at UNF Arena at North Florida, where NIU will play Boston Univ., then either Sam Houston State or Ark.-Little Rock. Other participants are Fla State, SMU, Loyola Marymount and Missouri. Read the release to sort all this out.

Press release link:

Also recall have game @ Indiana 11/13 and @ Marquette on 11/27, according to the Bash offerings.

That is a tough scheduling gauntlet. In a matter of 14 days they play away games at Indiana, Mizzou and Marquette.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 11:50 PM by Schaefer Beer.)
07-25-2021 10:22 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I checked around and all but NIU, Sam Houston State and Ark-Little Rock have issued press releases and gotten media coverage about going to the Jacksonville Classic. Read the stuff from Florida State, Loyola Marymount, Boston U., SMU, Missouri, which all jumped on it when the field was announced.

What the hell? Is NIU doing that thing again where they assemble all the pieces and then tell us all at once at the last minute? How about building this up like a big deal, filling "empty" off-season with some real news? How about get out a release, get some press, get NIU's name out there for something good. Just like the games at Indiana and Marquette ... had to dig those out of the list of bid items from the VE Bash.

Sorry ... but getting frustrated by this "big secret" mentality.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 10:00 AM by pvk75.)
07-27-2021 09:52 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(07-27-2021 09:52 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  I checked around and all but NIU, Sam Houston State and Ark-Little Rock have issued press releases and gotten media coverage about going to the Jacksonville Classic. Read the stuff from Florida State, Loyola Marymount, Boston U., SMU, Missouri, which all jumped on it when the field was announced. What the hell? Is NIU doing that thing again where they assemble all the pieces and then tell us all at once at the last minute? How about building this up like a big deal, filling "empty" off-season with some real news? Like the build-up to some baseball announcement (see other thread)? Sorry ... but getting frustrated by this "big secret" mentality.

I guess you just need to cut them some slack. Doing a press release and marketing is a lot of work! And they are seemingly strained by all the work they are doing. In the NIU Athletics perfect world, our sporting events exist and just by their mere existence, the media should come running and fans should flock to the games and fill the stadium and arena. The only problem is that the games' existence is not communicated, so the responsibility is on the media and fans to find out themselves.
07-27-2021 09:59 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(07-27-2021 09:59 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(07-27-2021 09:52 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  I checked around and all but NIU, Sam Houston State and Ark-Little Rock have issued press releases and gotten media coverage about going to the Jacksonville Classic. Read the stuff from Florida State, Loyola Marymount, Boston U., SMU, Missouri, which all jumped on it when the field was announced. What the hell? Is NIU doing that thing again where they assemble all the pieces and then tell us all at once at the last minute? How about building this up like a big deal, filling "empty" off-season with some real news? Like the build-up to some baseball announcement (see other thread)? Sorry ... but getting frustrated by this "big secret" mentality.

I guess you just need to cut them some slack. Doing a press release and marketing is a lot of work! And they are seemingly strained by all the work they are doing. In the NIU Athletics perfect world, our sporting events exist and just by their mere existence, the media should come running and fans should flock to the games and fill the stadium and arena. The only problem is that the games' existence is not communicated, so the responsibility is on the media and fans to find out themselves.

Sorry, DF. I edited/added to my post while you were replying. It happens.

You are exactly right, though. These other schools jump on anything positive and get it out there. That Cheney teaser on some baseball announcement is another example. How much effort does it take to type a few graphs and post it?
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 10:18 AM by pvk75.)
07-27-2021 10:04 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-27-2021 10:04 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  

You are exactly right, though. These other schools jump on anything positive and get it out there. That Cheney teaser on some baseball announcement is another example. How much effort does it take to type a few graphs and post it?

I have said this many times before, but part of marketing is creating a sizzle. Excitement needs to be generated, and that is woefully lacking at NIU Athletics. As you said, it does not take a lot to create a press release or marketing statement filled with excitement. If the fans feel that excitement, they will attend the games, and maybe the media will report something positive. But, you can't just sit there and expect the world to come to you, because it won't work, and we've seen it.
07-27-2021 10:12 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-27-2021 10:04 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  

How about a general MBB press release that lists what games they have set up already, with a gee-whiz-wow headline that says how new HC, more effort has beefed up the sked? Come on now ... Missouri, Indiana, Marquette and Boston U. is not worth bragging about? And btw I had to read the Western Illinois board to find out WIU is hosting the WBB Compass Challenge this year.

Never mind cutting them slack. All they seem to care about is someone cutting them a check.

Maybe if they did their jobs better, more people would cut them a check!

It must be so frustrating for WBB. That team knows how to market and treat the donors! I donate to the team as a sport-specific donation every year. I get several cards and letters from Coach Carlsen and team members thanking me and telling how excited they are for the upcoming season, and how they are looking forward to seeing us fans in the stands this year. They do a wonderful job of self-marketing and showing appreciation for the fans. This is how it should be done.
07-27-2021 10:18 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

How about getting some journalism/communications student as a no-cost intern? Would look good on a resume. Or how about one of those assistants to the assistant of the executive assistant to the AD? I am NOT excited about the alleged baseball announcement because they don't even know how to do a teaser right. All the Cheney post had to do was add "we'll update the project/progress ... see you Saturday." Now THAT would be a teaser. But the way they did it, it could be more signage or, as someone joked on the other thread, a new water fountain.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 10:29 AM by pvk75.)
07-27-2021 10:28 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

(Adding instead of editing). All it takes is an understanding of how and why people respond. What pushes buttons. It's not hard because the AD staff are people too.
07-27-2021 10:30 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-27-2021 10:30 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  (Adding instead of editing). All it takes is an understanding of how and why people respond. What pushes buttons. It's not hard because the AD staff are people too.

Maybe that's not the case anymore. With AI here, maybe they are now robots. Then again, if they were robots, a better job would be done.
07-27-2021 10:33 AM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Didn't they create anticipation for the event? Aren't you all waiting eagerly for the announcement?
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2021 10:39 AM by HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN.)
07-27-2021 10:39 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(07-27-2021 10:39 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  Didn't they create anticipation for the event? Aren't you all waiting eagerly for the announcement?

Ha!! Yes, all 3 or 4 of us have been having trouble sleeping from all the eager anticipation.
07-27-2021 10:44 AM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

Per a tweet on 7/28 from Rocco Miller, NIU starts 2 home and home series with Indiana State on 12/22 and EIU on 12/1. The first games for both series are in Dekalb.
08-03-2021 03:24 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(07-25-2021 10:03 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  From MBB Twitter and MTE website: NIU has a road game at Missouri Nov. 17 as part of the Jacksonville Classic MTE, which will finish up at UNF Arena at North Florida, where NIU will play Boston Univ., then either Sam Houston State or Ark.-Little Rock. Other participants are Fla State, SMU, Loyola Marymount and Missouri. Read the release to sort all this out.

Press release link:

Good to see some high-profile programs on our schedule.
08-03-2021 08:22 AM
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-03-2021 08:22 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

Press release link:

Good to see some high-profile programs on our schedule.
You left out at Washington and at Dayton.
Looks like only two home games if my count is right.
08-05-2021 10:11 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Not leaving out ... just leaving it for someone/anyone to update as additional o-o-c games get "found." Schaefer Beer e.g. noted a couple more games above. As for few home games, MBB rebuild needs to get some decent games, and until the program gets going, many are likely to be on the road. Also, some of those road games might be turned into quid pro quo home games in future. I/we hope.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021 10:32 AM by pvk75.)
08-05-2021 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

So we play at Washington (Huskies v Huskies) and at Dayton also as well as Mizzou, Marquette and Indiana? That is one tough OOC schedule. Coach Burno has definitely made quick impacts on the program. I like it very much!

Just curious, what do P5 teams offer for 1 and done payouts for traveling teams. I know they are not as big as football, but curious if anyone knows.
08-05-2021 01:39 PM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

$125000+ from the big boys. Where was the Dayton game posted?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2021 03:17 PM by huskies77.)
08-05-2021 03:15 PM
Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

(08-05-2021 03:15 PM)huskies77 Wrote:  $125000+ from the big boys. Where was the Dayton game posted?

Thanks 77, now I see why Chicago State plays so many OOC P5 games. It probably funds the entire Athletic Dept.

Sportfan posted that we are playing Dayton about 3 posts above.
08-05-2021 05:45 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Iʻve never seen $125,000, usually P5 teams buy games from 60-90 K, although I suppose there may be exceptions. Mid majors usually pay 35-60k to buy a game. Consider Washington as an example at 80K for the game. travel party of 40 players, coaches, staff, athletic dept personnel @ $400 travel costs (air and transfers)=16K, plus 30 hotel rooms (some players and staff double up) for 2 nights/60 x $200 = 12K plus meals and miscellaneous for 2 days/$100 x 40 = 4K. So, you are looking at 32K or so base costs for the trip and 45-50K net profit which helps a bit but doesnʻt fund a multi-million dollar basketball program budget.

Regardless, this is an epic MAC road schedule. Economics, recruiting ploy, competition to prepare for league play? Whatever Burno and staffʻs intention it is unlike any non-conf schedule I can imagine in the league. Iʻve seen a few MAC teams play 3 P6 road games in a 13 game non-conf schedule, but 5 (I consider Dayton essentially P6) in 11 games is pretty ballsy. Best of luck, even to just steal 1 of those would be exciting.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2021 02:59 AM by pono.)
08-06-2021 02:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.