Open TigerLinks

Munz’s Wiseman Timeline
Bookmark and Share
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

I Root For: Memphis
Munz’s Wiseman Timeline
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...963666002/

Makes it sound like the NCAA almost immediately turned around in Late May and said that their certification was in error and that this was on the radar months before the November 5th drama.

If this is the case, how do you feel that the university lied to you for almost half of a year? As I mentioned in another thread, it would be extremely disingenuous on the university’s part to tout Wiseman on all of the preseason ticket advertisements. IMO they should be on the hook for some compensation to season ticket holders and sponsors.
03-07-2020 12:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Munz’s Wiseman Timeline
"Shortly before the Tigers' season opener on Nov. 5, the NCAA notified Memphis that Wiseman was "likely ineligible" as a result of the $11,500 Hardaway provided to Artis."

That use of "likely ineligible" seems like something the university should focus on.
03-07-2020 12:47 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-07-2020 12:11 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...963666002/

Makes it sound like the NCAA almost immediately turned around in Late May and said that their certification was in error and that this was on the radar months before the November 5th drama.

If this is the case, how do you feel that the university lied to you for almost half of a year? As I mentioned in another thread, it would be extremely disingenuous on the university’s part to tout Wiseman on all of the preseason ticket advertisements. IMO they should be on the hook for some compensation to season ticket holders and sponsors.

Read closer.

"he received NCAA certification "on or about May 29." The lawsuit alleged that the NCAA subsequently sent notice of inquiry to Memphis informing the university that "it believed Wiseman was certified in error."

He was certified on May 29. The NCAA then came back later (a date not named in the article) and said it believed he was certified in error. Not that he was certified in error.
03-07-2020 01:03 PM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(03-07-2020 12:11 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...963666002/

You need to reread the article.
03-07-2020 01:05 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(03-07-2020 01:05 PM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  

“Subsequently” sounds pretty proximal to the May 29th date. Munz replied to me on Twitter that neither party has revealed exactly when this notice was received. This detail could very well be the crux of the coming infractions ruling.

As for me, I would feel very betrayed as a fan if the NCAA sent the notice before the Bahamas trip.
03-07-2020 01:14 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2020 01:03 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  

Read closer.

"he received NCAA certification "on or about May 29." The lawsuit alleged that the NCAA subsequently sent notice of inquiry to Memphis informing the university that "it believed Wiseman was certified in error."

He was certified on May 29. The NCAA then came back later (a date not named in the article) and said it believed he was certified in error. Not that he was certified in error.

If I remember correctly I also recall the NCAA saying they would stand by their initial ruling although they made a mistake. So it really doesn't matter when they told us they made a mistake if they said they are going to honor their initial ruling.

I think there were 4 distinct things that happened.

Certified
Notified of Error
Notified NCAA would honor initial ruling
New Evidence???No longer eligible
03-07-2020 01:55 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-07-2020 01:14 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 01:05 PM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  

“Subsequently” sounds pretty proximal to the May 29th date. Munz replied to me on Twitter that neither party has revealed exactly when this notice was received. This detail could very well be the crux of the coming infractions ruling.

As for me, I would feel very betrayed as a fan if the NCAA sent the notice before the Bahamas trip.

Yeah...Even after the error was found the NCAA said they would honor their initial ruling. That is why they had to come up with the new evidence angle.
03-07-2020 02:00 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

I few observations.

What if it was released publicly that the certification was in error back when they sent the notification? Would Precious and Lester be on this team if they believe Wiseman was not eligible to play?

No mention in the story of the prior link that caused the TSSAA to declare Wiseman ineligible at East High. Played for Team Penny summer of 2017 then transferred from a top private school in the state where he is under scholarship worth $20,000 and decides to transfer to East.
03-07-2020 02:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alanda Offline
All American

(03-07-2020 01:55 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Read closer.

If I remember correctly I also recall the NCAA saying they would stand by their initial ruling although they made a mistake. So it really doesn't matter when they told us they made a mistake if they said they are going to honor their initial ruling.

Certified
Notified of Error

I still believe that was the NCAA "somehow" learning about Penny's past donation.
03-07-2020 02:22 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2020 02:09 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

I few observations.

What if it was released publicly that the certification was in error back when they sent the notification? Would Precious and Lester be on this team if they believe Wiseman was not eligible to play?

No mention in the story of the prior link that caused the TSSAA to declare Wiseman ineligible at East High. Played for Team Penny summer of 2017 then transferred from a top private school in the state where he is under scholarship worth $20,000 and decides to transfer to East.

Why was he "under scholarship" in high school? Because he was 7 feet tall and could play basketball?

No problems until he left there to play at a public school in Memphis.
03-07-2020 02:22 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2020 02:22 PM)Alanda Wrote:  

Read closer.

Certified
Notified of Error

I still believe that was the NCAA "somehow" learning about Penny's past donation.

How could the NCAA be that clueless? I live in Indiana and was well aware when Penny made that donation. It was all over the news in Memphis. I don't think that is it.
03-07-2020 02:24 PM
Advertisement

MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(03-07-2020 02:09 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

I few observations.

I think we know the answer to those questions. I think there is a strong possibility that we knew, assured James that he would be able to play, and assured the other incoming players that they would be playing with James. We wouldn’t make it public because they initially ruled him eligible, we think they aren’t going to call us on it and sit the #1 recruit, and we don’t want to scare off the incoming recruits or record turnaround in season ticket sales.

Again, if this is the case, it’s down right sinister on the university’s part. We would have screwed over James and the other incoming freshmen as well as season ticket holders and sponsors.
03-07-2020 02:27 PM
tiger-viper Offline
All American

any compensation talk is ridiculous. everyone got their money’s worth.
03-07-2020 02:38 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

(03-07-2020 02:24 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 02:22 PM)Alanda Wrote:  

Read closer.

Certified
Notified of Error

How could the NCAA be that clueless? I live in Indiana and was well aware when Penny made that donation. It was all over the news in Memphis. I don't think that is it.

Of course the NCAA can be that clueless. Just because you and I may have been aware doesn't mean everyone else would be. As a Tigers fan you're going to pay more attention to what happens with the school. Remember back when all this was going down last year, Penny didn't know that he was considered a booster.
03-07-2020 02:51 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(03-07-2020 02:38 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  any compensation talk is ridiculous. everyone got their money’s worth.

Would there not be outcry if a music festival continued to tout its main act to sell tickets and recruit other bands, all the while knowing behind the scenes that the main act was likely not going to play? Sure the other acts played hard and the show was entertaining, but it was false advertising.

Maybe we didn’t know until November. Maybe there is not more to Wiseman transferring to East freaking High School from Ensworth (a move that makes no logical sense). I get the feeling that, when the gaps in this saga are filled in by the investigation, we may be redirecting the anger that’s currently aimed at the NCAA towards Penny and the athletic program.
03-07-2020 02:57 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(03-07-2020 02:57 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 02:38 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  any compensation talk is ridiculous. everyone got their money’s worth.

Would there not be outcry if a music festival continued to tout its main act to sell tickets and recruit other bands, all the while knowing behind the scenes that the main act was likely not going to play? Sure the other acts played hard and the show was entertaining, but it was false advertising.

Maybe we didn’t know until November. Maybe there is not more to Wiseman transferring to East freaking High School from Ensworth (a move that makes no logical sense). I get the feeling that, when the gaps in this saga are filled in by the investigation, we may be redirecting the anger that’s currently aimed at the NCAA towards Penny and the athletic program.

No way is this on Penny. The NCAA cleared JW. Then reniged.
03-07-2020 03:21 PM
Advertisement

MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

(03-07-2020 03:21 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

What if they reneged very quickly (e.g., before the Bahamas trip)? With the current timeline, it’s hard to tell
03-07-2020 03:27 PM
AtlTigerfan Offline
1st String

(03-07-2020 03:27 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 03:21 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

What if they reneged very quickly (e.g., before the Bahamas trip)? With the current timeline, it’s hard to tell

This is what bothers me and I'm sure I'm not alone, how do you renege and then take it back with a straight face? They knew what was at stake. So the University is supposed just bend over and say "how long". Its BS.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 03:50 PM by AtlTigerfan.)
03-07-2020 03:31 PM
cp44fla Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Fresca
Guys, it’s RENEGE. SMH
03-07-2020 03:46 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
The words/phrase "likely ineligible" is /are comical . A doctor tells a woman that she is likely pregnant--an employer tells someone they are likely to get fired or get a raise . A girlfriend/boyfriend tells the other , I am likely to marry you. A judge telling someone that they are likely guilty/innocent --but I will let you know later. To me--the ncaa saying "likely ineligible" is laughable or "likely incompetent". He was either eligible or not. Total BS IMO.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2020 05:31 PM by jsw3ent.)
03-07-2020 03:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.