11-27-2018 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: CFP Rankings, 11/27
Thoughts:

1) This poll is good news for Oklahoma, bad news for Ohio State. Not only is OU ahead of Ohio State, there is a clear gap in the rankings of their CCG opponents, with Texas at #14 and NW at #21.

What it seems to boil down to if both OU and tOSU have the "same result" on Saturday, that is, both win and equally impressively, OU will move in to the Final 4, assuming Georgia loses.

Ohio State does have a slight advantage in that they get to see what OU does earlier. But bottom line is OSU needs to wipe out NW, and hope that OSU hasn't done the same to Texas. If OU tramples Texas - gonna be tough given Texas beat them earlier - there doesn't seem to be much OSU can do vs NW that will help them.

2) As for UCF, a ranking of 8 is fair, though 7 could be justified as well. The CFP probably took MM's injury in to consideration. I wouldn't have but still. Bottom line is the computers have UCF at #8 so it's a fair ranking.

3) With Florida at #9 and LSU at #10, and Penn State at #12, this is good news for the SEC getting 4 teams in to the NY6 games, which only the B1G has accomplished (in 2016). The bane to Florida and LSU are CCG upsets that would award an NY6 slot to teams that currently are outside of the top 12, such as Texas beating Oklahoma or Pitt beating Clemson, which would move Texas/Pitt in to the NY6 and knock these teams, LSU first, out. Even Ohio State would likely remain in line for an NY6 bowl if NW upsets them, so there's that threat too.

Basically, if you are Florida and LSU, you want all the favorites to win their CCGs, save for the SEC game as that doesn't matter.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 07:31 PM by quo vadis.)
11-27-2018 07:23 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(11-27-2018 07:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  This poll is good news for Oklahoma, bad news for Ohio State. Not only is OU ahead of Ohio State, there is a clear gap in the rankings of their CCG opponents.

What it seems to boil down to if both OU and tOSU have the "same result" on Saturday, that is, both win and equally impressively, OU will move in to the Final 4, assuming Georgia loses.

Ohio State does have a slight advantage in that they get to see what OU does earlier. But bottom line is OSU needs to wipe out NW, and hope that OSU hasn't done the same to Texas.

As for UCF, a ranking of 8 is fair, though 7 could be justified as well. The CFP probably took MM's injury in to consideration. I wouldn't have but still. Bottom line is the computers have UCF at #8 so it's a fair ranking.

But doesn't that explicitly go against the committee's self stated guideline by Bill Hancock where they do not rank on projections. UCFs game was a blowout win without MM.
11-27-2018 07:27 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Assuming the conference championship games go to the favored teams, would seem to project:

Cotton = Clemson/Notre Dame
Orange = Bama/Oklahoma
Rose = Ohio State/Washington
Sugar = Texas/Georgia
Fiesta = LSU/UCF
Peach = Michigan/Fl*rida

USFFan

Edited because I bet the CFP would put that Bama game in the Orange Bowl to make sure Oklahoma doesn't play the bowl game close to home vs. the top seed.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 07:43 PM by usffan.)
11-27-2018 07:33 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
If anything is certain, you never know when the CFP will jump someone in the final poll. Not like they haven't done it before Basically G5 is decided, if UCF falters against Memphis. MWC slides into Access Slot.
11-27-2018 07:39 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
(11-27-2018 07:33 PM)usffan Wrote:  Assuming the conference championship games go to the favored teams, would seem to project:

Orange = Bama/Oklahoma
Sugar = Texas/Georgia
Fiesta = LSU/UCF
Peach = Michigan/Fl*rida

USFFan

Edited because I bet the CFP would put that Bama game in the Orange Bowl to make sure Oklahoma doesn't play the bowl game close to home vs. the top seed.

The winner of this scenario is the city of New Orleans... Texas and Georgia are some big time schools with some big time alumni that will spend some big time money. The Fiesta Bowl would be an intriguing match-up, too.
11-27-2018 07:54 PM
Advertisement

Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(11-27-2018 07:33 PM)usffan Wrote:  Assuming the conference championship games go to the favored teams, would seem to project:

Orange = Bama/Oklahoma
Sugar = Texas/Georgia
Fiesta = LSU/UCF
Peach = Michigan/Fl*rida

USFFan

Are we sure Texas goes to the Sugar Bowl and not West Virginia? Texas is #14 this week while WVU is #16. Seems like Texas would drop below them following a CCG loss.
11-27-2018 07:58 PM
TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
We won in a blowout against a rival with a backup QB. And the team that gets blown out by their rival does not drop below us. Completely ridiculous and illogical, and inconsistent.

We are not Top 4. But if the dominoes fall, we will have staked our claim, no matter what the committee and their peers pretend to think.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 08:39 PM by TampaTom.)
11-27-2018 08:39 PM
kurtrundell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KU
(11-27-2018 08:39 PM)TampaTom Wrote:  We won in a blowout against a rival with a backup QB. And the team that gets blown out by their rival does not drop below us. Completely ridiculous and illogical, and inconsistent.

We are not Top 4. But if the dominoes fall, we will have staked our claim, no matter what the committee and their peers pretend to think.

Yet 9-3 Florida, with home losses to Kentucky (27-16) and Missouri (38-17), and a neutral site loss to Georgia (36-17) will be rewarded with the Peach Bowl. In the process, the Gators will duck in-state UCF since the UF AD is on the CFP committee.
11-27-2018 08:45 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-27-2018 07:27 PM)otown Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 07:23 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  This poll is good news for Oklahoma, bad news for Ohio State. Not only is OU ahead of Ohio State, there is a clear gap in the rankings of their CCG opponents.

Ohio State does have a slight advantage in that they get to see what OU does earlier. But bottom line is OSU needs to wipe out NW, and hope that OSU hasn't done the same to Texas.

As for UCF, a ranking of 8 is fair, though 7 could be justified as well. The CFP probably took MM's injury in to consideration. I wouldn't have but still. Bottom line is the computers have UCF at #8 so it's a fair ranking.

But doesn't that explicitly go against the committee's self stated guideline by Bill Hancock where they do not rank on projections. UCFs game was a blowout win without MM.

Yes it would, but then again I'm just speculating here, I don't know for a fact that the CFP did factor MM's injury in to their ranking.

UCF did blow USF out, arguably moreso after MM left than before. Then again, USF has been a collapsing house of cards for weeks now, so not sure how much to read in to that. As i said before, I think those who thought UCF was the "MM show" are wrong, there's a lot more to your team than him. I expect UCF to beat Memphis this weekend.
11-27-2018 08:51 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I'm baffled as to how Ohio St beat a much better opponent in Michigan compared to Oklahoma's win over WVU yet remains ranked lower.

An ESPN controlled CFP is clearly punishing the Big Ten for jacking up the rates at the last negotiation and then selling Fox half the package.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 08:52 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
11-27-2018 08:52 PM
Advertisement

TampaTom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(11-27-2018 08:52 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I'm baffled as to how Ohio St beat a much better opponent in Michigan compared to Oklahoma's win over WVU yet remains ranked lower.

An ESPN controlled CFP is clearly punishing the Big Ten for jacking up the rates at the last negotiation and then selling Fox half the package.

I do agree that the Big Ten across the board was disrespected over the span of rankings.
11-27-2018 08:54 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-27-2018 07:58 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  

Orange = Bama/Oklahoma
Sugar = Texas/Georgia
Fiesta = LSU/UCF
Peach = Michigan/Fl*rida

USFFan

Are we sure Texas goes to the Sugar Bowl and not West Virginia? Texas is #14 this week while WVU is #16. Seems like Texas would drop below them following a CCG loss.

My understanding of the Big 12 bowl pecking order procedure is that the Big 12 goes by its own internal ranking system. Unlike the ACC and SEC it does not go by the CFP standings.

So while yes, if Texas loses to Oklahoma they will almost surely fall behind WVU in the CFP standings, they will still be the #2 team in the Big 12 standings, so they would go to the Sugar Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 08:59 PM by quo vadis.)
11-27-2018 08:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(11-27-2018 07:39 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  If anything is certain, you never know when the CFP will jump someone in the final poll. Not like they haven't done it before Basically G5 is decided, if UCF falters against Memphis. MWC slides into Access Slot.

Agree, but if OSU jumped Oklahoma it wouldn't affect any of the other potential games participants. But if OSU blows out Northwestern and Oklahoma edges Texas in a 52-49 affair I could easily see OSU jumping the Sooners.
11-27-2018 09:03 PM
RUScarlets Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I’m feeling an upset this weekend so it’s clear cut.... and not Bama UGa.

First time in a long time I will be LOCKED IN on championship Saturday.
11-27-2018 09:05 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-27-2018 09:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 07:39 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  If anything is certain, you never know when the CFP will jump someone in the final poll. Not like they haven't done it before Basically G5 is decided, if UCF falters against Memphis. MWC slides into Access Slot.

Agree, but if OSU jumped Oklahoma it wouldn't affect any of the other potential games participants. But if OSU blows out Northwestern and Oklahoma edges Texas in a 52-49 affair I could easily see OSU jumping the Sooners.

IMO, that's what it's going to take. OU has two advantages right now - the committee obviously thinks their current body of work is better, and they have greater upside potential in their CCG because the play a higher ranked team.

So assuming both win, for OSU to jump them, they need to beat-down NW like they did Wisconsin 4 years ago and hope OU doesn't do the same to Texas.

The one factor that is in OSU's favor is because Texas is the tougher opponent, it's likely going to be harder for OU to beat Texas really bad than for OSU to do the same to NW. Heck, OU wasn't able to beat Texas at all earlier this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:08 PM by quo vadis.)
11-27-2018 09:07 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 08:52 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I'm baffled as to how Ohio St beat a much better opponent in Michigan compared to Oklahoma's win over WVU yet remains ranked lower.

There's nothing to be baffled about. Ohio State got blown out by Purdue. Oklahoma didn't suffer a blow out loss to Texas. So in this case the OU loss was a better loss and the Ohio State loss was a very bad one. That's the beginning and end of the story.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:15 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 09:07 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(11-27-2018 08:54 PM)TampaTom Wrote:  

I do agree that the Big Ten across the board was disrespected over the span of rankings.

I feel for your Knights as well. The CFP and the BCS before it have long disrespected quality programs who find themselves outside of the cartel. At least in the old system the computers could help the little guys out.

I expect to see the Big Ten, PAC 12, and G5 pushing for an expanded playoff that is more inclusive towards granting access towards conference champions who earned their way on the field rather than by backroom dealings.
11-27-2018 09:08 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-27-2018 09:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

There's nothing to be baffled about. Ohio State got blown out by Purdue. Oklahoma didn't suffer a blow out loss to Texas. So in this case the OU loss was a better loss and the Ohio State loss was a very bad one. That's he beginning and end of the story.

Yes, it's astonishing how Ohio State backers forget that 30 point loss to *Purdue*. Fortunately nobody else has forgotten.
11-27-2018 09:09 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2018 09:08 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 08:54 PM)TampaTom Wrote:  

I feel for your Knights as well. The CFP and the BCS before it have long disrespected quality programs who find themselves outside of the cartel. At least in the old system the computers could help the little guys out.

I expect to see the Big Ten, PAC 12, and G5 pushing for an expanded playoff that is more inclusive towards granting access towards conference champions who earned their way on the field rather than by backroom dealings.

Hmm. I expect the P5 to become some kind of a P4 (probably not symmetrical) or even a P3 and to separate themselves from the others.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 09:17 PM by JRsec.)
11-27-2018 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.