Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C-USA should be the first conference to stop playing FCS opponents
Bookmark and Share
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
C-USA should be the first conference to stop playing FCS opponents
We just saw basketball do something different with scheduling, lets do the same with football.

Conference USA should be first conference to stop scheduling FCS games. Obviously it will help the SOS of the conference as a whole and will get more fans in the stadium. Could also be a good way to start a conference rivalry. Something like the ACC-BIG10 challenge, but the C-USA-Sunbelt Challenge or C-USA-AAC Challenge.

Yes I understand a FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility but I think the pros outweigh the cons in this matter.

ODU has played Hampton, Norfolk St, Albany in recent years and is playing VMI this year. Three of those are VA schools but FCS teams do not travel outside of maybe a few. So its not like there is much interest in the game other than most of the time its the first game of the year.

I would much rather see a regional G5 team like Coastal Carolina, Ga Southern, App State, Temple or Navy on the schedule in place of an FCS team.

Lets make this happen. Its about time C-USA gets on the forefront of some changes in college sports.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 10:02 AM by cmett003.)
05-30-2018 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jack Bauer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
RE: C-USA should be the first conference to stop playing FCS opponents
Isn't odu playing at a fcs school this year?
05-30-2018 10:13 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2018 10:13 AM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  Isn't odu playing at a fcs school this year?

No. The Monarchs are being paid $1.32 million to play the first game of the season at Liberty,
a team that is in its transition year to FBS, and Liberty counts as an FBS team for bowl purposes. The only FCS team on the schedule is VMI.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 10:27 AM by ODU AGGIE.)
05-30-2018 10:25 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
I might be mistaken but I thought the Big 10 had already made such a move.
05-30-2018 10:56 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-30-2018 10:25 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  No. The Monarchs are being paid $1.32 million to play the first game of the season at Liberty,
a team that is in its transition year to FBS, and Liberty counts as an FBS team for bowl purposes. The only FCS team on the schedule is VMI.

That's almost like saying Campbell isn't non scholarship anymore. Sure they moved to the Big South and will now give 32 scholarships a year away. But the move doesn't happen until July 1, 2018. So as of right now they still don't have a scholarship player on their roster.

Same with Liberty, they didn't get a waiver until after signing day and their transition doesn't start till July 1, 2018. So they don't have a single player that was recruited to a IA school.

That and they were at best a middle of the pack Big South school most years. The last 3 years they have had a 6-5 record. If ODU loss this game or is in a dog fight until the end then you will be in for a rough year. Truthfully ODU should look like Marshall at ODU in 2014.
05-30-2018 11:13 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2018 10:56 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  I might be mistaken but I thought the Big 10 had already made such a move.

That didn't last long, Purdue and a few others have already signed contracts with IAAs.
05-30-2018 11:15 AM
Advertisement

va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-30-2018 10:00 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  We just saw basketball do something different with scheduling, lets do the same with football.

Conference USA should be first conference to stop scheduling FCS games. Obviously it will help the SOS of the conference as a whole and will get more fans in the stadium. Could also be a good way to start a conference rivalry. Something like the ACC-BIG10 challenge, but the C-USA-Sunbelt Challenge or C-USA-AAC Challenge.

Yes I understand a FCS win counts towards bowl eligibility but I think the pros outweigh the cons in this matter.

ODU has played Hampton, Norfolk St, Albany in recent years and is playing VMI this year. Three of those are VA schools but FCS teams do not travel outside of maybe a few. So its not like there is much interest in the game other than most of the time its the first game of the year.

I would much rather see a regional G5 team like Coastal Carolina, Ga Southern, App State, Temple or Navy on the schedule in place of an FCS team.

Lets make this happen. Its about time C-USA gets on the forefront of some changes in college sports.

I disagree. You'll probably see some of the biggest attendances are when nearby FCS schools play us. Alabama plays FCS schools. Really nothing to gain, just something to lose. We'll never get past a NY6 bowl, so not really like not playing a FCS team will get us a shot at a NC.
05-30-2018 11:38 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(05-30-2018 11:38 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 10:00 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  We just saw basketball do something different with scheduling, lets do the same with football.

I disagree. You'll probably see some of the biggest attendances are when nearby FCS schools play us. Alabama plays FCS schools. Really nothing to gain, just something to lose. We'll never get past a NY6 bowl, so not really like not playing a FCS team will get us a shot at a NC.

I call bs, no way your biggest crowds are for FCS games. And if that is somehow true its just for you all and not the rest of the conference. Why not play a nearby FBS game to have one more good game on the schedule if nothing else.
05-30-2018 01:01 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
(05-30-2018 11:13 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 10:25 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  No. The Monarchs are being paid $1.32 million to play the first game of the season at Liberty,

That's almost like saying Campbell isn't non scholarship anymore. Sure they moved to the Big South and will now give 32 scholarships a year away. But the move doesn't happen until July 1, 2018. So as of right now they still don't have a scholarship player on their roster.

Same with Liberty, they didn't get a waiver until after signing day and their transition doesn't start till July 1, 2018. So they don't have a single player that was recruited to a IA school.

That and they were at best a middle of the pack Big South school most years. The last 3 years they have had a 6-5 record. If ODU loss this game or is in a dog fight until the end then you will be in for a rough year. Truthfully ODU should look like Marshall at ODU in 2014.

We announced we got the waiver in Feb 2017 long before any deadline. Last season was our first FCS to FBS season and we played as an FCS independent in transition. This coming season we will be FBS but in the last year of transition. Sooo I’m not sure what you are getting at.
05-30-2018 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(05-30-2018 01:01 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

I call bs, no way your biggest crowds are for FCS games. And if that is somehow true its just for you all and not the rest of the conference. Why not play a nearby FBS game to have one more good game on the schedule if nothing else.

By taking a quick look at the schedule he ain’t lying. The game against Southern drew the biggest attendance for USM. Same for UAB and Charlotte against FCS schools. UTSA’s game against FCS opponent just missed being the highest attended game by less than 200. FAU’s game against their FCS opponent outdrew their CUSA championship game. The WKU game against FCS was also the best attended of their season.
05-30-2018 01:36 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Would be surprised if the AAC wanted to partake in a challenge as many are scheduling 7 home homes per year for the gate revenue... kinda makes the FCS game necessary. Also, the game media rights (FCS) typically fall back to schools to air locally/regionally if they wish...though only UCONN and Memphis have taken advantage of this as far as I can tell.
05-30-2018 01:39 PM
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

Last season, Southern Miss's largest home attendance was vs FCS SWAC team Southern University out of Baton Rouge (almost 2,000 more than attended the Kentucky at Southern Miss game a week earlier). This year Southern Miss's largest home attendance will most likely be vs FCS SWAC team Jackson St out of Jackson, MS. In past years, games vs Alcorn St (also a FCS SWAC team from MS) and Jackson St have been some of the highest attended games in Southern Miss history.
05-30-2018 01:45 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

He is correct. When we play Alcorn State or Jackson State they are the best attended games on our schedule that year.
05-30-2018 01:51 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas

Please. Some of ODU's best opposing fan attendance has been when it played William & Mary.
05-30-2018 01:51 PM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

People that don't even follow football will show up just to see the SWAC school's band.
05-30-2018 01:54 PM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(05-30-2018 01:54 PM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  

People that don't even follow football will show up just to see the SWAC school's band.

Yep. Actually some of the best atmospheres at The Rock even if Southern Miss is winning in a blow out.
05-30-2018 01:55 PM
Advertisement

MadEagle Offline
All American

Our games against Jackson State and Alcorn are some of the best attended games in Southern Miss History. All those games have had attendance up to 35,000
05-30-2018 02:00 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

NC a&t was our highest attended game ever with over 18500 people (stadium officially holds 15300).
05-30-2018 02:13 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
Southern coming to Ruston was the best money our Athletic Department ever spent. The brought a ton of fans and were highly entertaining. Northwestern St, Grambling St., and many others are far better draws than many of our Eastern Conference foes. It would be idiotic to stop playing these games.
05-30-2018 02:17 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2018 01:06 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 11:13 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

We announced we got the waiver in Feb 2017 long before any deadline. Last season was our first FCS to FBS season and we played as an FCS independent in transition. This coming season we will be FBS but in the last year of transition. Sooo I’m not sure what you are getting at.

Im getting t you are a degree mill that is a right winged propaganda machine. A so called university that has "Creationisim" as a legit science class and the students on campus are forced to go to brainwashing sessions at least once a week. Have fun with the Falwell stench on you. No legit IA conference will ever take you.

I could go on but it would be like arguing with a deaf mute. He can't hear or see you either.
05-30-2018 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.