Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018-19 Roster
Bookmark and Share
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
2018-19 Roster
I don't want to put Bo-like expectations on Carlos Curtis, but good golly he had a good high school career. He averaged nearly a triple-double this season!

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/hi...491122002/
The Tigers transition to coach Justin Hullum went smoothly with the help of a big year from the East Tennessee State recruit. Curtis averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds, nine assists and three steals per game for the Tigers, who were the race for the City title until the final game of the year. He also was a stud on defense and added better perimeter shooting to his ability to get to the basket and pull up from mid-range. “Carlos is just so smooth,” said Calvin Rayford, the coach at Milwaukee Obama. “Great players make those around them better and he was able to do that.”
04-06-2018 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

RE: 2018-19 Roster
(04-06-2018 07:03 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  I don't want to put Bo-like expectations on Carlos Curtis, but good golly he had a good high school career. He averaged nearly a triple-double this season!

The Tigers transition to coach Justin Hullum went smoothly with the help of a big year from the East Tennessee State recruit. Curtis averaged 22 points, 10 rebounds, nine assists and three steals per game for the Tigers, who were the race for the City title until the final game of the year. He also was a stud on defense and added better perimeter shooting to his ability to get to the basket and pull up from mid-range. “Carlos is just so smooth,” said Calvin Rayford, the coach at Milwaukee Obama. “Great players make those around them better and he was able to do that.”

Thanks for the info. Carlos sounds like a wonderful addition to our team.
04-06-2018 07:57 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Daivien Williamson.named to the AP All-State team: http://www.journalnow.com/sports/prepzon...user-share
04-07-2018 08:07 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

(04-06-2018 07:03 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  I don't want to put Bo-like expectations on Carlos Curtis, but good golly he had a good high school career. He averaged nearly a triple-double this season!

Bo brought a ferocious desire that is impossible to measure. But Curtis highlights show a broader range of skills, especially on offense. He's got the best range of guard skills in a freshman coming in since Courtney Pigram. If you needed 20 points, Courtney could get them; if you needed 7 rebounds, that was available, too; 6 assists, no problem!

Will love to see them both on the floor next year.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018 08:16 AM by swvabucsfan.)
04-07-2018 08:16 AM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

I really like the way next year's team is shaping up...

A healthy Jeromy and experienced Mladen in the front court spelled by D'Andre Bernard and an improved(?) Harrison. Hopefully will land the JUCO center Butler as well.

Then a smorgasbord of riches in the back court with Bo Hodges, Patrick Good, Carlos Curtis, Davien Williamson, Jason Williams, K-O(?), Chase Freeman, and top targets like Tray Boyd, Channel Banks, and Jordan Gilliam (Positive vibes to getting all three).

...And whoever else may be in the 5th-year pipeline.

There are some wicked shooters in that group. There are some rebounding bangers in that group. There are definitely some athletes in that group. When is Bluenanza?! 04-rock
04-07-2018 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

Shadow I agree with a lot of your post. Not sure I agree with the long range shooting for next year (that was a big weakness this year) unless a newcomer or 2 can fill it up - maybe Good, Boyd?

Speaking of newcomers you have Chase Freeman on next years squad. Have I missed something there? I know he played entire season at NIT participant Wagner this year and was a decent contributor. Has something changed for Chase and is he coming back home to Tennessee and play for us?
04-08-2018 07:15 AM
Advertisement

TheShadow Offline
2nd String

(04-08-2018 07:15 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  Shadow I agree with a lot of your post. Not sure I agree with the long range shooting for next year (that was a big weakness this year) unless a newcomer or 2 can fill it up - maybe Good, Boyd?

Speaking of newcomers you have Chase Freeman on next years squad. Have I missed something there? I know he played entire season at NIT participant Wagner this year and was a decent contributor. Has something changed for Chase and is he coming back home to Tennessee and play for us?

Nope, nothing's changed on Freeman... I just epic-failed, haha. I heard about a walk-on we were getting and was blanking on the name (and still am). When I Googled it, I apparently found an old article pertaining to Freeman. 03-drunk

I agree long-range shooting is a concern. I was referring more to pure shooters, but yes, I think Good and the new freshman guard combo can help with our 3-point issues.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 11:02 AM by TheShadow.)
04-08-2018 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Will signings be coming out this week? Go Forbes!
04-08-2018 12:13 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Boyd's commitment to ETSU is a BIG deal on a number of levels. First, Forbes & Co. pursued him for a long time and beat out a long list of schools. Second, Boyd is an elite scorer/shooter with high-level experience playing at perennial powerhouse Northwest Florida State. His 15 ppg and 106 made 3's (at a 45% clip) are impressive in and of themselves, but his stats must also be considered in the context of his team: All of fellow starters averaged double-digits, all are d1 prospects, and he played in one of the best JUCO conferences in the country.

This is a big-time signing and fills a need for a scoring guard next season. Boyd, Good, KO, Williams as well as the dynamic freshmen Curtis and Williamson form a deep and talented backcourt.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 07:36 AM by Bucfaithful.)
04-10-2018 07:32 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

Absolutely agree. I try not to look hard at all the guys in play during the recruiting process, and wait till they sign. So in looking at Boyd for the first time, it's a real WOW. The effortless range out to the logo. The ability to stop and hit the pull up jumper from all distances. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYHXSIohuI

But especially impressive is his ability to work the defender, look him in the eye, get him off balance and knock it down. The combination of range out to 30 feet and beyond, and the ability to stop and pop at any point from there to the rim makes him an awfully hard defensive assignment. This really does look like a 'big time signing'.

He's a 6-4 lefty like Desonta, with a better long range shot, but not quite the amazing hops that Bradford had. In this highlight reel from 2 seasons ago he does look like he could use some work going to his right and finishing with his right.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 07:59 AM by swvabucsfan.)
04-10-2018 07:55 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I agree this is a huge sign for the Bucs. If we can land Butler or another similar big guy to help out Armus then we should be in great shape next season as long as there are no season ending injuries.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 08:49 AM by Bucster.)
04-10-2018 08:47 AM
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I think Banks has the more complete, all-'round game, with the two full handles I mentioned earlier, and has more inside capabilities, stronger body, etc.
But Boyd should serve the Bucs well. He certainly has range and confidence. He and Good together should form a formidable outside presence. That youtube of Boyd showed essentially nothing about his D, but I suspect, with his court vision, that isn't too weak.

My sense was that Boyd was waiting to see how the Banks card fell, but I don't know that for a fact.

I think we know this, but we won't have a full replacement for Desonta, at least that's the way it appears to this observer. A rare talent set that boy has. But Forbes has a plan.....

Will be interesting to hear (if we do) how Butler likes his visit. We need him or one more big to help Armus, Rodriguez, and Bernard. Hope Peter gets that 7th year of eligibility awarded (and yes, that *is* a joke).
04-10-2018 10:26 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
Could someone put a run down of the current roster? Just of the top of my head I have the following:

Freshman:
Carlos Curtis
Davien Williamson

Sophmore:
Hodges
Armus
Good

Junior:
Williams
Rodriquez
Boyd
Bernard

Senior:
Obi-Rapu
Harrison
04-10-2018 11:57 AM
Running_Fool15 Offline
1st String

(04-10-2018 10:26 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  I think Banks has the more complete, all-'round game, with the two full handles I mentioned earlier, and has more inside capabilities, stronger body, etc.
But Boyd should serve the Bucs well. He certainly has range and confidence. He and Good together should form a formidable outside presence. That youtube of Boyd showed essentially nothing about his D, but I suspect, with his court vision, that isn't too weak.

My sense was that Boyd was waiting to see how the Banks card fell, but I don't know that for a fact.

I think we know this, but we won't have a full replacement for Desonta, at least that's the way it appears to this observer. A rare talent set that boy has. But Forbes has a plan.....

Will be interesting to hear (if we do) how Butler likes his visit. We need him or one more big to help Armus, Rodriguez, and Bernard. Hope Peter gets that 7th year of eligibility awarded (and yes, that *is* a joke).

Ya know, I thought the same thing when we lost Guyn. Then Cromer happened. Then I thought the same thing after Cromer. Then Desonta happened. So, I'll just assume somebody will step up. My guess? It'll be either Jeromy or Bo.
04-10-2018 12:40 PM
Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

Bo must improve a ton on his jump shot.
04-10-2018 03:13 PM
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

If Bo develops a mid to long range shot with any consistency whatsoever, he will dominate the So Con and could become a national force in mid major circles. Now that is a big if, but it is very possible. Case in point is Admiral Schofield and the improvement he made from his sophomore year to this past one down in Knoxville. He simply worked has ass off in the weight room plus got up 500+ shots every day. He transformed himself from just a raw physically imposing athlete that "plays" basketball into the same physically imposing athlete that can "play" basketball. He's now a threat from all over and is a legit NBA prospect. Would, love, love, love to see Bo have a similar transformation as his career progresses.
04-10-2018 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(04-10-2018 12:40 PM)Running_Fool15 Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 10:26 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  I think Banks has the more complete, all-'round game, with the two full handles I mentioned earlier, and has more inside capabilities, stronger body, etc.

Ya know, I thought the same thing when we lost Guyn. Then Cromer happened. Then I thought the same thing after Cromer. Then Desonta happened. So, I'll just assume somebody will step up. My guess? It'll be either Jeromy or Bo.

I don't really think it was the same thing. No, we didn't know how much more Cromer would fully blossom after Guyn was gone, but he was there, and he was good as a junior. So to me that wasn't a shock. Maybe better than we thought, but not a shock. Desonta's full complement of skills - those that brought up the topic of "best of the decade?" for him - just virtually never reside in one player at the mid-major level. That doesn't mean that his *impact* can't be replaced. That could surely happen.
No way Rodriguez or Bo can exactly do what Desonta did - or I'll be glad to eat my words if either of them does. But can they, or one of the new guys, "step up", as you put it? Sure. And I think they will, but it won't be the same body of work. And that said........as we know, Desonta had his weaknesses - maybe most especially many times not getting going until the second half, or even the second half *of* the second half.

I hope Obi-Rapu is taking several hundred shots a day in the off-season. Bo, too, for that matter. I hope Williams comes back with 10 more pounds of muscle. I hope Rodriguez comes back completely whole and without fear.
And I hope the new guys mix in well, and that we can maintain the superb team chemistry we've been fortunate to have during Forbes's tenure. I think that is perhaps an underestimated skill he has: to not only get good talent, but to make sure it fits in well with the team, personality-wise, as well as skill-wise. Using the current team members to help host visits certainly works in that direction.

We need another big, and I think we'll get one. And I think there's a decent chance one of our last two newcomers will be a 5th-yr. guy. Just reading a few tea leaves - don't have any hard evidence.

I fear UAB is leaning hard on Butler. I guess we'll just see after his visit here. He's not only big and strong, but has *exceptionally* good hands and a soft touch. Also a decent leaper for someone his size, and is quite mobile. He will thrive somewhere good dealers can get him the ball in position. I have a feeling some of our guards will be able to do that - at least some of the time. But it won't be nearly as easy for him to generate stuff on his own at this level.
04-11-2018 02:11 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
I'm interested about any 5th year or transfers out there too. Anyone ETSU is looking at?
04-11-2018 06:58 AM
Heisman

(04-11-2018 06:58 AM)brock20 Wrote:  I'm interested about any 5th year or transfers out there too. Anyone ETSU is looking at?

I strongly suspect the answer to that is "yes", but it's really a black hole. We had no clue before Guyn nor McCloud signed on, for example. All one can do is scan who's available (and that's not easy), and you have no idea who might be interested in playing another year - or not. And of course I'm speaking from a fan's point of view. In the coaching ranks, I suspect there is a flow of information to some extent. But assuming that's the case, no coach would want to tip their hand too early - for obvious reasons.

There are some lists out there, tho. Here's one example:

grad transfers available

The dude from ODU is on there, of course, but I really think it unlikely we'd be in the serious running for him. Nat Dixon? Not likely.
Note that Julian Walters is also on that list.
04-11-2018 10:33 AM
Heisman

And I think we've seen this list before, but not updated. And it contains some seniors:

transfer list

Some interesting names and schools on there. Fordham is losing 4, including Chartouny. Eastern KY losing 4.

My sense is that there's quite the match-making chaos going on at the moment.
04-11-2018 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.